- To a stock pot add the rinsed lentils, diced root vegetables, diced onion, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, turmeric and chili flakes.
- Pour water on top and stir.
- Bring pot to a boil over medium heat and then simmer for 40 minutes, whisking often.
- In the last 10 minutes, whisk the dal vigorously to encourage the breaking down of the lentils.
- Season with salt and pepper.
For the Spice Oil
- In a small saute pan, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and mustard seeds (or ground in my case). Once the seeds are fragrant, remove from heat.
- Gently spoon the toasted spice oil on top of the dal or stir in if you would like.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lemon wedges.
*I used butternut squash.
**I used 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes and it worked perfectly