How to Make Green Salsa (Salsa Verde)
Looking to make green salsa at at home? Look no further than this easy salsa verde tutorial using 8 simple ingredients and ready in 20 minutes
- Author: Davida Lederle
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups salsa 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: blend
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1–2 jalapeno peppers*
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 large white onion, roughly chopped
- juice, 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spread tomatillos and jalapeños out on a lined baking sheet for 15 minutes or until tomatillos start to brown on top and are cooked through.
- Remove tomatillos and jalapeños from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Chop tomatillos in half and remove top stems from jalapeños.
- Add tomatillos and jalapeños to a blender or food processor. Top with garlic, cilantro, onion, lime juice, and salt and pulse the mixture until it reaches your desired consistency. If too thick feel free to add in a few tablespoons of water.
- Taste and season with extra salt, lime juice or cilantro, if needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips, veggies or top onto burritos or bowls.
- Store in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
*If you don’t like spicy I recommend seeding your jalapeños before roasting but this salsa verde does taste best with a little heat! Feel free to use just 1 rather than 2.
Keywords: salsa verde, how to make green salsa, green salsa