- Place vegetables in a double layer of cheese cloth and secure in a bundle with the cooking twine (see image below)
- Put bones and vegetables into the slow cooker and top with water and apple cider vinegar until covered.
- Cook in LOW for 24 hours (you can leave for slightly longer or less).
- After an hour or so, skim any “gunk” that is floating on the top. Organic/cleaner meat will yield much less of this.
- Remove top and let cool slightly.
- Place strainer over a bowl and ladle broth into strainer to separate bones and vegetable bundle from the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
*To store: I like to freeze half and keep the other half for my daily cup. It keeps in the fridge for about a week and in the freezer for several months. If freezing, remove from freezer several hours before using to thaw. If storing in fridge, feel free to remove the layer of fat that will develop on top or leave it on and stir it in (it’s good fat!) before heating up in the microwave.
**I use and like this slow cooker, however if you want one on a timer I’ve heard great things about this one.