Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Enjoy these Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon as a holiday side or winter weeknight dish. Packed full of flavor from fresh orange and smoky bacon, these bacon brussels sprouts can be easily made in the oven and will not disappoint.
- Author: Jess @ The Healthy Maven
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 lbs brussels sprouts
- 2 large oranges (we used valencia)
- 1/2 lb sliced bacon
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (more if you like a lot of heat)
- Set the oven to 425F.
- Wash and dry both oranges. Remove the rind of 1 orange using a sharp paring knife, making sure to avoid as much of the pith, that bitter white layer, as possible.
- Next, juice the orange. Zest the second orange and set the zest to the side.
- Chop the bacon into bite size pieces and cook in a cast iron pan over medium high heat until you have crispy bacon pieces. Remove the crispy bacon pieces and place on a towel lined plate. Pour the bacon fat into a small bowl or jar and set aside. *see note above for cooking bacon in the oven
- Wash and dry the brussels sprouts and trim the ends and halve them.
- Place the brussels, orange rind and juice, 6 tbsp bacon fat (or whatever amount your bacon has rendered if less than that), chili flakes and maple syrup back into the cast iron skillet or onto a baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven. Roast for about 40 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the brussels are nice and crispy.
- Finish by adding the red wine vinegar and orange zest and bacon pieces. Toss everything together and serve.
Keywords: maple brussels sprouts, brussel sprouts, bacon brussels sprouts