Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lbs brussels sprouts,
- 2 large oranges (we used valencia)
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (more if you like a lot of heat)
- Set the oven to 425F.
- Wash and dry both oranges. Remove the rind of 1 orange using a sharp paring knife, making sure to avoid as much of the pith, that bitter white layer, as possible.
- Next, juice the orange. Zest the second orange and set the zest to the side.
- Chop the bacon into bite size pieces and cook in a cast iron pan over medium high heat until you have crispy bacon pieces. Remove the crispy bacon pieces and place on a towel lined plate. Pour the bacon fat into a small bowl or jar and set aside.
- Wash and dry the brussels sprouts and trim the ends and halve them.
- Place the brussels, orange rind and juice, 6 tbsp bacon fat (or whatever amount your bacon has rendered if less than that), chili flakes and maple syrup back into the cast iron skillet or onto a baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven. Roast for about 40 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the brussels are nice and crispy.
- Finish by adding the red wine vinegar and orange zest and bacon pieces. Toss everything together and serve.