Enjoy these Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon as a holiday side or winter weeknight dish. Packed full of flavor from fresh orange and smoky bacon, these brussels sprouts will not disappoint.
I cannot believe this is the last recipe of 2018. I’m not going to go on about how 2018 went by in a flash because, well, it did NOT. 2018 was an incredible year, but it was also a difficult one for me. At times it felt like it was dragging on and other moments flew by but all in all it’s a year full of adventure, experience and a hell of a lot of growth!
I can’t say that there’s any particular reason for these Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon being the last recipe of the year. I mean I guess that fact that they taste amazing and have BACON is probably a good enough reason to post them. Then again I did post chicken fingers as my final recipe before getting married so I don’t know that there’s always a method to the madness…
I did want to take this post to walk you down memory lane and some of my favorite recipes this year. I will also be sharing my THM Year in Review recap at the end of the week so you’ll see a few repeats in there but that post isn’t just about recipes so I thought I would highlight a few here.
To start, this was definitely the year of easy dinners and breakfasts. I’ve always been a breakfast lover, but I really wanted to expand our recipe-base to include healthy dinners and I’m happy to say that we succeeded!
My favorite recipes of 2018:
This was also the year that Jess joined Team Maven as our official recipe developer. Even though she’s only been with us for a short 4 months, it quickly became clear that Jess is a key part of THM. As I mentioned in this post, it’s not that I don’t enjoy food and recipe developing, it’s simply that I don’t have the time to give it what it deserves. Between writing, photographing, developing content, teaching yoga, working on Camp Wellness, producing podcasts (and everything else…) developing recipes and testing them for you just couldn’t be a priority.
I didn’t want to have to say goodbye to recipe posts so I invited Jess to join the team. Best.decision.ever. Jess and I collaborate on recipe dev and she tests the recipes 2-5 times as needed. She then comes over and we tag-team cooking and shooting. It’s a system that has worked wonderfully and I’ve loved seeing your response to the new and creative recipes Jess is bringing to the table.
So clearly 2018 has been a big year! It’s also been a long year, and a challenging year, but also…a delicious year! Let’s celebrate by eating these Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and better yet, in the company of good people.Print
Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 lbs brussels sprouts,
- 2 large oranges (we used valencia)
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (more if you like a lot of heat)
- Set the oven to 425F.
- Wash and dry both oranges. Remove the rind of 1 orange using a sharp paring knife, making sure to avoid as much of the pith, that bitter white layer, as possible.
- Next, juice the orange. Zest the second orange and set the zest to the side.
- Chop the bacon into bite size pieces and cook in a cast iron pan over medium high heat until you have crispy bacon pieces. Remove the crispy bacon pieces and place on a towel lined plate. Pour the bacon fat into a small bowl or jar and set aside.
- Wash and dry the brussels sprouts and trim the ends and halve them.
- Place the brussels, orange rind and juice, 6 tbsp bacon fat (or whatever amount your bacon has rendered if less than that), chili flakes and maple syrup back into the cast iron skillet or onto a baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in the oven. Roast for about 40 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the brussels are nice and crispy.
- Finish by adding the red wine vinegar and orange zest and bacon pieces. Toss everything together and serve.
What was your favorite recipe you cooked this year? Any recipe requests for 2019?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!