For the Crust:
- In a blender or food processor, process pumpkin seeds until completely ground (will be somewhat sticky and clump together)
- In a bowl combine ground pumpkin seeds, baking powder, xanthan gum, tapioca starch, coconut palm sugar and sea salt.
- Add in coconut oil and either cut in using a pastry cutter or mix with hands. Should create pea-sized clumps in dough (don’t overmix).
- Slowly incorporate egg white and continue stirring until dough can come together into a ball.
- Place ball between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to form a 10 inch circle.*
- Carefully place crust over a 9 inch pie plate, cut off excess crust hanging over and then press crust into sides (it’s okay if it breaks, just fix with your hands to fill in broken parts)**
For the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together pumpkin puree, coconut oil and almond milk.
- Add in tapioca flour, coconut palm sugar and pumpkin pie spice
- Mix in egg and egg whites and then the vanilla extract
- Pour the filling into the crust and smooth out top with a spatula.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and use tin foil to cover the crust (so it won’t burn) and then place back in the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes or until top has set.***
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to set for another 2 hours. Do not try eating before cooling as pie will fall apart.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
*I use this non-stick roller with the parchment paper and I love it!
**to form scalloped edges follow this tutorial or use this pie plate.
***check out this pie crust shield which is all kinds of awesome!