Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust plus a full Paleo Thanksgiving Dinner Menu that includes everything besides the turkey!
To say that I am excited for Thanksgiving this year would be the understatement of the century. As a born and bred Canadian, my experience with American Thanksgiving has been limited to only a few occasions, but let me tell you, it was love at first bite.
This year, I’ll be celebrating with C’s family in SF. Preparations include, reading the low-down email I received at least 3 times a day, brainstorming what I plan to contribute (this post is helping!) and making plans to pack my second stomach.
Thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed and not stressed over. The likelihood of you overindulging is pretty high so don’t beat yourself up over it. Try throwing in some healthier options if you can or even this full Healthy Thanksgiving Dinner Menu if you and the fam are up for it. More importantly, focus on giving thanks to the people you love over a delicious meal.
The ladies and I figured we would give you guys some healthier options if you want to change things up! Kel had to sit this one out because life is bit hectic for her (she’s got a cookbook coming out and the cutest daughter ever to take care of!) but we’ve got an awesome lady stepping in, Taylor from Food Faith Fitness. Give her a warm welcome 🙂
1. Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts from Fit Foodie Finds –> HERE
2. Paleo Pumpkin Biscuits from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen –> HERE
3. Maple Curry Roasted Sweet Potatoes from Food Faith Fitness –> HERE
Finally my recipe! I’ve been meaning to make this pie since last year but somehow I never got around to it. This round-up was the perfect opportunity for me to test my pie skills aka master the pumpkin seed crust. I thought it would take me several attempts to get it, but the pie gods were on my side and it turned out amazing on the first try.Print
Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Pumpkin Seed Crust
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 T tapioca starch
- 2 T coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 T coconut oil, cold
- 1 large egg white, frothed
For the Filling:
- 15 oz can of pumpkin puree (or homemade pumpkin puree)
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 T tapioca flour
- 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I use my DIY Pumpkin Spice Recipe)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Crust:
- In a blender or food processor, process pumpkin seeds until completely ground (will be somewhat sticky and clump together)
- In a bowl combine ground pumpkin seeds, baking powder, xanthan gum, tapioca starch, coconut palm sugar and sea salt.
- Add in coconut oil and either cut in using a pastry cutter or mix with hands. Should create pea-sized clumps in dough (don’t overmix).
- Slowly incorporate egg white and continue stirring until dough can come together into a ball.
- Place ball between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to form a 10 inch circle.*
- Carefully place crust over a 9 inch pie plate, cut off excess crust hanging over and then press crust into sides (it’s okay if it breaks, just fix with your hands to fill in broken parts)**
For the Filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together pumpkin puree, coconut oil and almond milk.
- Add in tapioca flour, coconut palm sugar and pumpkin pie spice
- Mix in egg and egg whites and then the vanilla extract
- Pour the filling into the crust and smooth out top with a spatula.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and use tin foil to cover the crust (so it won’t burn) and then place back in the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes or until top has set.***
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to set for another 2 hours. Do not try eating before cooling as pie will fall apart.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
What are some of your favourite Thanksgiving dishes? Have you ever tried to healthify some of them?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!