fitness

What Does “Fit” Mean To You?

January 21, 2014

I’m back for another week of Fit Tip Tuesday. How’s that for consistency? BOOYA. This week I wanted to turn Lisa’s series on it’s head and ask myself and you “what is fit?”.

It’s pretty obvious that everyone defines “fit” in their own way. For some it’s flat abs, for others it’s taking the stairs instead of the elevator and for many it’s not a concept they’ve ever contemplated.

what does fit mean to youMy definition of “fit” has changed substantially over the years. From sedentary to running endless miles I’ve pretty much experienced the entire spectrum. At one point in my life I was working out 6 days a week, which included a combination of running, lifting and yoga. For a while I felt unstoppable and invincible and physically I looked the best I ever had. But then it stopped feeling good. Despite a string of injuries, I kept going and in my pursuit to be my “fittest” self ended up doing more damage than good.

Physically the signs were all there, but it came down to a mental battle. I had to let go of my version of “fit” which unfortunately had gotten convoluted with pushing my body to its extreme. I needed a new definition of fit, one that stressed health and not aesthetics and numbers.

Nowadays my fittest self does not need to workout 6 days a week, run endless miles or have flat abs. My fittest self needs to move every single day and not get blown over by the wind. My fittest self needs to eat veggies and protein and whole grains. My fittest self also needs a glass of red and lots of cheese.

salad and wineMy pants fit a little tighter, and while that was hard for me to deal with at first, chronic back and leg pain forced me to snap out of those thoughts pretty quickly. I love when I lift and feel strong and I love going for walks instead of runs. I love working my booty and I love that I’ve accepted the fact that no matter how many squats I do it will still have cellulite.

For me, less is more. I “formally” workout about 3 days a week and that is enough for me. I don’t hold myself to that number anymore though. Some weeks it’s one day and others it’s five. I feel better when I don’t plan my workouts and take each day as it comes. I feel happier and that makes me feel fit.

I choose happy

This is my version of fit, what’s yours?

Jessie
    January 21, 2014 at 5:27 am

Like you, running took up my life – 6 days a week + strengths. I felt great, had rock hard abs – but realized I was damaging my insides aka my hormones were completely out of whack. For the past year and half +, I’ve been sidlined from running & at first was only walking, however I’ve since added in weights. I do this 4x a week, and wow has my sleep improved So to me being fit is working out when I want, loving my life (friends and self), eating clean, allowing myself dessert every night if I want, relaxing, sleeping & just doing what I want – not what someone else expects, or what someone may say I should do.
    Jessie recently posted…Super Bowl Recipes & Giveaway!

Caitlyn@BareBalance
    January 21, 2014 at 5:32 am

I have never been into running myself, but I used to be addicted to HIITs and circuit training. This post really inspired me, so I am going to do a post on my blog in response.

You’re beautiful and strong!

kathy@vodka and soda
    January 21, 2014 at 5:44 am

i love this!! fit to me is healthy and happy. eating clean and doing your body good by avoiding crap. exercising and being active when you feel like it and i don’t mean at the gym but just get your ass moving! oh, and humping. lots of humping which i know you do on the reg. can’t wait for tomorrow!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy@vodka and soda recently posted…blogging tips

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    January 21, 2014 at 5:46 am

Love it.
    I used to be the same – working out madly 6-7 days a week, long long runs, strengthe and Yoga – I literally spent all my free time working out.
    I train a lot, still, but today it’s not a forced activity, it’s fun and passion. I LOVE to experiment with my workouts and to grow stronger. Fit for me means to feel good. On my workout days as well as on my restdays and on vacation – just all the time. Not getting sick by the smallest bacteria and being able to touch my toes. Being able to go skiing spontaneously or cycling without breaking down after 10 minutes.
    LOVE the Yoga pic in the snow!!!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Berlin, my Love

Kelly @ Femme Fitale
    January 21, 2014 at 6:15 am

This is a great post, Davida!! I completely know what you mean about going through a transition when it comes to your fitness. When I first started blogging in April 2012, I was also working out 6 days a week and was definitely in the best shape of my life. It was really my only priority outside of work. Since becoming a mother, I had to seriously reevaluate my priorities. Fitness looks so much different for me now, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
    Will I go through another phase of 5 day/week workouts? Maybe…but probably not for awhile. Sometimes weeks I think, “Does my blog actually deserve its name?!” But like you said, “Fitness” looks a little different to everyone, and can change from month to month, year to year. So rather than feel guilty for not working out like I used to, it’s best just to enjoy the time and effort I AM able to put in. Thanks for the reminder 😉
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted…My Paleo Week: A Reflection

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    January 21, 2014 at 6:24 am

For me fit is just feeling healthy and strong. It doesn’t mean the number on the scale, I actual don’t look at the scale.. I think most people would be surprised at how much I actually way (cause my friends still don’t even believe me when I tell them.) Fit is having energy, being healthy, and not letting my knees slow me down (alot of strengthening)
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Stress Release Yoga Sequence

Jen @ SavedbytheKale
    January 21, 2014 at 6:50 am

The way I have looked at being “fit” as changed alot over the last ten yrs. Before kids I would workout at least 6 days a week and several of those days I would workout in the morning and evening. Planning a vacation or visiting family would stress me out because I would wonder will I have time to fit in all my workouts. After my first child was born I would workout once a day about 5 days a week. Then child #2 came along and juggling the time to fit it all in started stressing me out. My workouts became more erratic which really got me down, I would get depressed if I thought about it alot. I just felt like I was letting my body down. Since then I have learned more about balance and what works right for me. I do still go to the gym and I do still occasionally run, but not everyday and not even every week. I eat healthy most of the time and I am trying to be okay with not pushing myself so hard, but I would be lying if I said it never bothered me. Sometimes it hard to let go of that feeling that you are letting your self down or not doing your best. I’m a work in progress for sure!
    Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted…Gluten Free Pasta with Lentils and Turkey Bacon

Karen @karenlovestorun
    January 21, 2014 at 6:55 am

I love this! Being “fit” to me is taking care of my mind and body. They are equally important and go hand in hand!
    Karen @karenlovestorun
    Karen @karenlovestorun recently posted…What Keeps Me Going

Kim @ BusyBod
    January 21, 2014 at 6:55 am

Don’t we all need some wine and cheese? I think yes! And cellulite? A fact of life. I naively thought I didn’t have any until recently when I discovered I was quite wrong. I love your definition of fit. While it never led me to injury, my old definition of fit was all work and no rest. Too much work that led me to overtraining and a lot of time doing easier workouts. Sometimes, I miss my 2-3 a day workouts self. I see people logging 2+ hours a day of intense work at the gym (not just wasting time chatting), and I think, they are the fit ones, I’m just average. But it isn’t true, I AM fit. My mantra lately has been “sweat happy,” and I feel like that matches so well with your philosophy. I’m trying hard to shut out all the external noise and focus on what my body wants and how it makes me feel. Am I healthy? Are my workouts lifting me up instead of bringing me down? That’s what really matters. Love this post and love you <3
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Fit Tip: How’s your BS-o-meter?

alex @ therunwithin
    January 21, 2014 at 7:13 am

such a good discussion. I honestly used to think fit was a physical thing, like I had to look a certain way that had nothing to do with my actual body composition. I have finally come to terms that no I will never look that way and even more counterproductive if I looked that way. but no lie, that is sometimes hard to remind myself with – hard to remind myself that foods will always look different than others for my fit.
    alex @ therunwithin recently posted…Trade em Up Tuesday: Honestly…

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    January 21, 2014 at 7:20 am

I cannot even tell you how perfect the timing is for this post, Davida! I’ve been having quite the struggle trying to rest more in the midst of dance and other things that I feel REQUIRE me to keep up my workouts. My definition of “fit” has changed significantly in the past year though. I used to think pushing myself past the limit for every workout (which was almost every day of the week) was fit. If I didn’t leave the gym completely wiped out, it wasn’t really a good one.
    Now, I allow myself as many rest days as needed, I feel refreshed after working out rather than exhausted, and I’m not on the quest for an “ideal” body—whatever that is.
    Great post, Davida! 🙂
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Resting: I Don’t Think I’m Doing It Right

erin @ The Almond Eater
    January 21, 2014 at 7:28 am

Bawww this is a nice post. Injuries do teach you a lot, don’t they? My “fit” used to be working out 6 days a week and if I didn’t I would mentally beat myself up about it. I would choose the gym over friends. Now, “fit” means making a conscious effort to be healthy–to fuel my body with good food and to exercise fairly regularly–but also to have a life. Like you said, as long as I’m moving, even if that’s just going for a walk, that’s better than sitting on the couch all day (except sometimes that’s ok too ;))
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Fit Tip Tuesday #1

January 21, 2014 at 7:30 am

Love this! I believe that it’s important to take rest days and that doing so is a part of being fit. Being fit is not only a physical thing, it’s also mental. Maybe it’s the psych major in me, but I truly believe that running yourself into the ground and never feeling like you have achieved enough or are good enough is NOT fitness. I don’t care how good your abs look or your arms or anything else. Sounds like you have such a healthy perspective, and I have loved seeing the progression of your views. This is great!!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…“Squashed” Banana Muffins

Madison
    January 21, 2014 at 7:40 am

Love this post, Davida. I agree with you 100% on the fit part…fit is defined by each person’s body. You are amazing and a great example to us!!!!
    Madison recently posted…Homemade Cinnamon Vanilla Peanut Butter

Jess @dearhealthyness
    January 21, 2014 at 7:55 am

Over time I’ve come to terms with myself about my definition of fit! Who wouldn’t love flat abs? But I have to be honest that as much as I would want to have them, I also enjoy a homemade brownie. I believe that is not about being fit, but being healthy. I went through a lot of different paths trying to be the skinniest flat abs version, and I learned that health is priceless, and more important than physical appearance. Being fit is being happy with youself and your own body, being fit is a combination of self-acceptance, and doing things that make you happy.
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Sweaty Monday

Paige@FitNotFad
    January 21, 2014 at 8:10 am

Love this! I definitely had to make that switch from number counting to just focusing on overall health and strength. Fitness shouldn’t be about counting carbs until you can’t stand it anymore….it should focus on your health and happiness. I guess that is counting carbs for a lot of people, actually. But that’s not what makes me happy 🙂 Love this Davida!
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Marvelous Arizona Outdoor Adventures!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    January 21, 2014 at 8:14 am

I love this! I wrote something similar on this topic last week and it’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot. I used to feel bad if I didn’t meet my expectations for working out, but I’ve just let it go lately. My version of fit now is working out more days than I rest (even if I just walk the dog), and eating healthy more than I eat poorly. I’m with you that being happy is way more important than having the flattest stomach you’ve ever had!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Make-ahead salads and the anti-snow dance

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    January 21, 2014 at 8:44 am

I definitely struggled with the thought of “my fittest self has to run and workout all the time,” especially when I injured my knee. I haven’t run for two months, and guess what! My fittest self doesn’t need to run all the time. Though it’s something I do enjoy and want to get back into, I know for sure that I don’t need to be an crazy runner to be happy and feel good. And, my fittest self loves her some yoga. All the yoga. Actually, if I could, I would go to the studio every day. I like it more than running. Shhh don’t tell anyone 😉 Right there with ya on the wine front, as well. It keeps me sane.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Feel Your Feelings

taylor @ taylormade
    January 21, 2014 at 9:13 am

I’m definitely on the same page as you, Davida. my definition of fit has had to change over time due to competing priorities and a crazy schedule. for now, fit means exercising regularly (though not necessarily going to the gym several times a week), being strong, and feeling good about myself. it means doing push-ups while the shower heats up, calf raises while I brush my teeth, and squats while dinner is simmering. it means lifting heavy when I do make it to the gym. it means on-demand workouts when I have 20 minutes to spare. it means getting more bang for my buck — HIIT and weights rather than 45 minutes of cardio. it’s working for now! I’m very open to my definition of fit continuing to evolve over time though 🙂 that’s life!
    taylor @ taylormade recently posted…braised beef brisket

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    January 21, 2014 at 9:13 am

My definition of fit has changed over the years as well, though until about 3 years ago, I didn’t care about being fit, I just wanted to be thin. When I started in recovery, I avoided pretty much all types of fitness because I had formerly been so obsessive about it. Then in 2012 I really just wanted to start feeling more confident, so I began running and stuck with it long enough to start enjoying it. When I found Pure Barre, I hit my fitness stride because I genuinely enjoy it. I’m still figuring out what fit means to me, but I feel like it means being active, feeling alive and healthy, and looking in the mirror and being able to tell myself I look good and believe it.
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Easy Serenity Brownies (GF, Vegan, Low-Glycemic)

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    January 21, 2014 at 9:16 am

I love your honesty Davida! I completely agree that “fit” is what each person believes it. Everyone has their own definition of fit. To me being “fit” is being able to run and being healthy so when I do decide to have children I will still be able to be active!! I also agree that not planning your work outs makes you happier. I don’t plan my work outs. When I do work out I am happy because I know it is not being forced and something that I want to do!!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…What do you think?

January 21, 2014 at 9:31 am

Adore this post, lady! I’m so happy for you that you’ve found a real balance in how your approach ‘fit’ and what works for you. I’m still finding that balance myself, to be honest – I find that getting over that mental hurdle of allowing yourself to take a more relaxed approach is a very difficult thing to accomplish. But I have learned that fitness goes beyond physical appearances – my definition of ‘fit’ includes the fact that I’m not daunted by having to climb a few flights of stairs, the fact that I enjoy going for walks or getting extra movement in my day, and the fact that I can carry in all my groceries in one sitting or move a heavy box by myself.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Wine and Food Show 2014.

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    January 21, 2014 at 9:41 am

AWESOME Post Davida!
    I love your idea of being fit!
    For me being able to run up a few levels of stairs without being out of breath when the elevator goes out, of feeling healthy and not overstuffed after a meal are some of the ways that determine my idea of fit! Those and my runs – while I am not into loggin miles these days, I do so love the mental release running gives me – for me, it far outweighs its physical benefits.
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted…Almond Honey Pancakes!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    January 21, 2014 at 9:43 am

Great post Davida! I think fit for me is an ability to be strong and have stamina and to be able to try new and different activities. Basically to help me live life to the fullest!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Jumpstart January: Jumpstart Your Motivation

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    January 21, 2014 at 10:02 am

Love this reflection. It’s really hard to let go of some of those strict ideas of what “fit” is but what matters is that you feel good and are happy with where you are, both physically and mentally! You go, girl!
    Katie @ 24 Carrot Life recently posted…Moroccan Eggs

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    January 21, 2014 at 10:28 am

I love your honesty, here. I’m so with you…. sometimes I get caught up in constant long workouts, but I know that I’m happier and have more time to enjoy other things when there is a little balance. Since finishing up my 2nd marathon, I’m taking on the attitude that there will always be time for workouts. If I have the time, I get one in and if I don’t, I don’t. I’m not sticking to the mentality of I HAVE to get in 5 workouts a week. When I can, I do and that’s that.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Raw Vegan “Cheese” Cake with cashew cream

January 21, 2014 at 11:06 am

I am the same way! I’m just trying to do what nourishes my body and soul. While I do have a number in mind for what and how much I do before I start each week, I try to really respect my body if I’m feeling tired, sick, or just plain too busy. Normally movement gives me more energy, stretches out aches and pains, and makes me feel better. I know when it doesn’t, that I have pushed too hard and need to reign it in. Happy Tuesday!
    Cassie recently posted…try it Tuesday #3

January 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

PS. I made the PB chocolate chip brownies 1/2 regular flour 1/2 wheat flour and they were so delicious and fluffy! Thanks for the recipe! Everyone in my family loved them!
    Cassie recently posted…try it Tuesday #3

Lisa @ The Skinny on Health
    January 21, 2014 at 11:15 am

This is such an awesome fit tip!! It’s so true — fitness is all about doing what you happy and fulfilling the goals you set for yourself, no one else. I really love that others want to encourage this thinking. When I workout, I listen to my body. If my body doesn’t want to workout, I don’t. Hell, if my body wants to post up on the couch all afternoon watching Dexter with my boyfriend, that’s what I’m gonna do!! Most of the time, I crave working out. Sure, that’s been conditioned over time, but once it’s there you need to listen to what your body wants from you. If you’re doing it right, you should be craving your workout most days!

Thanks so much for linking up. I’m SO sorry it wasn’t working, it is now!! You can add yours here: http://wp.me/p2Txti-jn

xx
    Lisa
    Lisa @ The Skinny on Health recently posted…Fit Tip Tuesday #2 + GIVEAWAY WINNER!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    January 21, 2014 at 11:30 am

I like your idea of fit. Right now I’m a little pudgier than I would like to be but I workout in average 4-6 times a week, try to do a variety of workouts and eat healthy foods most of the time. I was less puffy when I was running more but my legs are much happier now.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…MIMM – ugly foods

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    January 21, 2014 at 11:31 am

I would say mine is very similar to yours. I want to feel healthy, have energy, be able to enjoy life with the body I have, and be happy. I’m thankful every day for my body and what it can do, and forgive it for what it sometimes struggles with. Striving for this idea of a perfect body does not exist. I have a friend who just pushes herself to point that it really bothers me. She is ripped and yet still seems to not like herself. It’s hard to watch….
    Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal recently posted…1/2 Marathon Training Diaries-Week 12

January 21, 2014 at 11:58 am

Um did I write this post? Because you seriously took the words right out of my mouth! At one point “fit” to me was working out 6, sometimes 7, days a week. It was being able to run 10 km. It was being thin. It’s amazing how much can change in a couple of years though. Never would I have considered walking or yoga a workout a few years ago, but that’s what I consider them now. I work out a lot less and at a lot lower intensities, but I’m loving it. I feel way more balanced these days. And that’s what fit is to me.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Thoughts on partying and healthy living

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    January 21, 2014 at 12:12 pm

OBVIOUSLY fit means having a stacked booty and tight abs and shoulders I want to drool over… But fit goes FAR BEYOND that taut tush! Fit to me also means being HAPPY! Being happy with what you’re doing in life, being happy with who you are as a person…. HAPPINESS = FIT for LIFEEEE!

Oh I am sorry, did I sound cheesy?! Good thing I don’t have any cheese or eat cheese – because if i did, this comment would be ten pages long will of cliches GALORE!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Banish Your Kryptonite!

Heather Murphy
    January 21, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Love this, girl! I definitely think our idea of git changes over the years, and its supposed to because our bodies change and need different things at different times in our life. It’s so important to listen to what your body needs and it looks like you have things under control! 🙂
    Heather Murphy recently posted…Total Body Toner

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    January 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm

One of my favorite posts – major props, girl. Learning what works for our bodies is one of the biggest challenges in life … especially because I believe that is always changing. Who knows, maybe 3 years from now you’ll be a hardcore runner again, and maybe you’ll be into meditation with 0 formal workouts per week? As long as it’s what’s keeping you healthy and balanced, I’m excited to hear about it!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…In Plain Sight

Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes
    January 21, 2014 at 1:54 pm

This is an interesting post! I would honestly say I am currently not very fit. I haven’t lifted weights in a while, and I have only been exercising/ running a few times a week. But I am still really active ( I walk a lot), and to my former heavier self, I am much fitter than I used to be. So “being fit” is a pretty relative term, and I think it probably varies immensely for different people. But I definitely view fit as being in-shape/ lean rather than being healthy. I am not very fit at the moment, but I would say I am pretty healthy. Does that make sense?
    Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes recently posted…How to … Make a Baked Potato Into a Meal

Amanda
    January 21, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Our versions of fit are exactly the same. It’s hard to reach that point, and I think a lot of times it comes with time and maturity. I wish that it happened for everyone in their teens because those years are HELL.
    Amanda recently posted…When Silence Scares Me

January 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm

This is fabulous and you’re fabulous. My definition of fit has definitely changed over the years, and even though I may look less fit because I’m not as lean as I used to be, I sure as heck feel a hell of a lot more fit. I used to work out 6 or 7 times a day, which eventually exhausted me to the point where I was too tired to do much of anything else. My adrenal system was shot, my life revolved around working out and planning my meals, and I was basically kind of miserable. My approach now is a lot like yours. Flexible workout schedule and flexible approach to nutrition. I like this better 🙂
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. flourless chocolate chip almond butter muffins .

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    January 21, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I feel my fittest when I’m seriously running and eating well. Not only do I feel like I could take off after a purse snatcher and kick his ass, but I’m able to eat what I want (in moderation) without worrying about the scale.
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…Let them (me) Eat Cake

Christine@ Apple of My Eye
    January 21, 2014 at 4:05 pm

My version of being fit is finding that sweet spot for both your physical and mental health! I feel like I’m in my own version of fit right now and am able to live an active lifestyle, but am not afraid of eating out or having dessert nor do I dislike what I see in the mirror, even though I may be a few pounds heavier!
    Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted…Marvelous In My Monday: Eat ALL the Food!

Shikha @ Shikha la mode
    January 21, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Great post, and so true. In college, I was addicted to working out, but I was also way too thin! Now, I’m 20 pounds heavier and it’s muscle. It took time for me to get used to being two pants sizes larger, but now I see it as a good thing, because now I can run half marathons and enjoy life! Plus, I need my cheese, so I feel you on that one!
    Shikha @ Shikha la mode recently posted…Weekend E.A.T. – Good Food, Good People

Lauren @ ihadabiglunch
    January 21, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Good post! Fit can mean so many different things. I think as long as you are generally active and moving throughout your day, there’s no need to set a number of days a week to work out. However, for me personally, I have to set a number because if I don’t work out, it’s a slippery slope. I like to work out around 5 times a week, include vegetables in as many meals as possible, and watch my snacking portions. That’s what fit means to me!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Tea Tasting at Argo Tea: Fit Tip Tuesday

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    January 21, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Amen to the cheese and wine, sister. That’s my idea of fit too. 😉

I used to have what I think now is an unhealthy definition of fit. If I didn’t burn at least 600 calories in my workout then I wasn’t satisfied. That’s so stupid!! Exercise is supposed to be fun, relaxing and relieving. It’s about feeling good, not how much or how long you do it. I’m definitely on the same page as you now!
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Roasted Chickpea Fajitas with Cilantro Cashew Crema

cait @pieceofcait
    January 21, 2014 at 5:35 pm

love this! I used to worry about getting workouts in. lately { past 6 or so months } when I am tired, I LISTEN to myself. Today would have been a workout day but snowing like crazy.. and I didn’t freak out wither. I do what’s best, whatever the bod needs <3
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…Treat yourself: DIY lavender scrub

January 21, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Ahh Davs. You are amazing.

This post is such a much needed slap on the face (or derrier) for many out there who are striving for the perfect body, but the associated perfect mindset isn’t there. I’m still working on separating the two and realising looking a certain way or maintaining a certain physique does NOT equate happiness, if by achieving it causes dread.

I’m still finding my version of fit. I wish making a mess in the kitchen counted.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…He thinks/She thinks- Changes part 2- Budgeting

Parita @ myinnershakti
    January 21, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I could talk about this topic and my personal journey all day long. Needless to say, I love this post. Fit = energy at this point in my life.

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    January 21, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I am loving this post! “I’ve accepted the fact that no matter how many squats I do it will still have cellulite.” AMEN sista!!! Seriously, how is it that I can run countless miles and strength train multiple times a week and still have cellulite?! 🙂
    Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted…LA Marathon Training Schedule & Nadia Ruiz 100+ Time Marathoner

January 21, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I love your definition of FIT!!! I’m with you – I need some sort of movement every single day!!!!
    I don’t have any desire to be super skinny – I just want to be the best version of me that I can be – it’s why I do what I do!!! And drink wine and eat cheese!!
    Kim recently posted…Do Clothes “Make” Us?

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    January 21, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Right now my meaning of ‘fit’ is changing. I fit it in when I can haha! Sometimes it means a gym and yoga session in one day, others I sit around and do nothing. I used to be, yes, obsessive about working out, but I am slowly finding the happy medium 🙂
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Winter Workouts: Solo Spinning

January 21, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I like your version of fit. Quite frankly, it’s not about the size of your pants, but how your body and mind really feels. The numbers that actually matter are your cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose and so long as you are eating the right foods and enough of them, without beating your body into the ground, those numbers will be just right.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week In Review: The Story Telling Edition

Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life
    January 21, 2014 at 9:52 pm

These days I run for enjoyment. I used to really love competing and I used to run a good amount of mileage every week. Now, I don’t keep track of it at all. I run some days, snowshoe if there is snow, go to boot camp on occasion, but I generally have no idea of how far I have run each week. Some days I workout 6 times, other weeks it’s 3, and occasionally it’s 1. I don’t beat myself up over it.
    Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life recently posted…4 Easy Ways to Save Money Without Changing Your Life

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    January 21, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I love your take on being ‘fit’! For me, it’s always changing as well. 6 years ago being fit meant going on the elliptical for an hour a day. 2 years ago it meant working out a handful of times a month and eating smaller portions. Now a days, its all about feeling strong and energized. It changes on a weekly basis for me. I do consistently like to be active on a daily basis (whether it’s for 20 minutes or a little over an hour) and eating enough nutritious foods while still enjoying the things I love. A few months ago, being fit meant doing a lot of HIIT workouts and limited traditional cardio. Now I’m getting more into mixing it up with traditional cardio and may even consider running 10k in the summer (big step for me). I love to challenge myself without becoming too obsessive. It’s all about being positive and doing what’s best for your body!
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Pistachio Pesto Pasta

Mary Frances
    January 21, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Your posts always make me think! I agree, words like fit and skinny get so twisted in our culture. I’m SO glad your version of fit includes cheese 🙂 My version of fit is physically and mentally being on the same page – enjoying food that is nourishing my body and being okay with some splurges. I think exercise is good until it becomes obsessive – but I think that applies to most things! 🙂
    Mary Frances recently posted…Super Easy Dark Chocolate Toffee Fudge

Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy
    January 22, 2014 at 1:11 am

I love your version of fit. I used to workout all the time too, and I still like to challenge myself sometimes, but I’ve found that 3-4 times a week is just perfect for me. I also try to stay active and busy the other days too!
    Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy recently posted…Pregnancy Update, a Fun Weekend and Working out from Home

Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com
    January 22, 2014 at 2:01 am

Can I just say how in love I am with this post? There was so much I could relate to in this and you explained things I could never figure out how to put into words!
    I really have had a similar experience from going to not being active at all and feeling sluggish and tired all the time to becoming extremely obsessed with the adrenaline rush of getting a good workout in. I went through a phase where I worked out every single day and mainly endless cardio sessions. It was a release for me but not in a healthy or fit way.
    So much has changed since those days and I am now at a balance in my life with exercise and food. I’ve never felt so at peace and happy with myself. I’m not stick thin or a super model but I enjoy food I love and workout to improve my strength while staying healthy.
    To me being fit is feeling happy, strong and healthy physically as well as mentally. Mental health is so important and I think to be fit you need to be mentally aware of your bodys’ needs and what gives you a good state of mind. I eat healthy to feel good, have energy and for the joy of cooking up yummy meals. But I completely agree that wine fits somewhere into the equation of my fittest self as well 🙂 Chocolate is also apart of that!
    Great post Davida! Very inspiring and relatable 🙂
    Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com recently posted…Baked Banana Bread French Toast

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    January 22, 2014 at 11:59 am

LOVE your definition of fit.
    That would me mine as well, although I must admit it’s hard to get there :–(
    xx

Caitlin
    January 22, 2014 at 2:42 pm

This post is beautiful and inspires me on my continued journey to not be so hard on myself at the gym!!! Yesterday I planned to take a 60 minute spin class but all classes were cancelled due to snow. Instead of forcing myself to still do 60 minutes of machine cardio (kill me) I did 30 minutes of Stair Master intervals, went home, and still enjoyed a little bourbon with dinner and a snack after dinner too. But I still have trouble taking a whole day off or even just not doing cardio in a day. It’s the tighter pants, or the acceptance that there will always be some marks on my bum (I think they are stretch marks? Ha TMI!), or the realization that I will never have washboard abs – if I want a LIFE that is. Yes, life without cheese and red is so so sad. I don’t miss that life…

Heather @ Better With Veggies
    January 22, 2014 at 2:53 pm

What a great topic! For me fit is being able to have the energy and confidence to do what I love. Whether that is a day of snowboarding (without limping around from being so tired the next day), to a day diving (where I feel comfortable in that scuba skin) – I want to be able to enjoy adventures around me!
    Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted…Can Comparison Be Good?

Brittany @ Barr & Table
    January 22, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I love this post. I think so many people are coming to these realizations lately on their own. I’m currently in my realization phase; moving across the country and losing sight of any sort of routine forced me into it and I don’t hate it. I’ve been enjoying the homemade ice cream I have when I come across it. Even on a *gasp* rest day! I can’t lie and say all feelings of guilt have completely disappeared, but they’re definitely becoming less and less. Thank you, as always, for sharing your story.

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    January 22, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Love this post Davida! Being fit shoud not only make you feel good at the time, it should also make you feel good for life. So working out that wears your body down and throws your hormones all over the place isn’t good! I just try and move everyday whether it’s walking, an HIIT workout or yoga 🙂
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…vegan macro bowl with cashew cheeze sauce

Sarah Pie
    January 22, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Cheese and red are essential for health 😉 This is a seriously thoughtful post and really showcases your beautiful and reflective attitude. I’m glad to hear you’ve made such peace with yourself, your health, and your happiness!

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    January 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Well said, my friend. To me, fit or healthy means having a good balance between physical, mental and spiritual health. You can’t just focus on one. Extremes of any kind are always an indicator that “something” else is going on and it’s being used as an avoidance crutch.
    Physically, I think I’m in good shape, but I don’t work out that often. I’m really focused on my career right now, so I only have 3-4 days to hit the gym or yoga… and even then it’s nothing crazy. And you know what? I look fine!!
    Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN recently posted…A Moment To Breathe

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    January 23, 2014 at 9:52 am

This is such a fantastic post Davida! My notion of fit has also definitely changed over the years. I worked out 6 days and week and I exercised, not so much because I enjoyed it, I did it because I felt that I had to and I want to be skinnier. As I’ve grown older, my feelings have changed dramatically. Now I workout 5 days a week and I do it because I want to – it makes me feel good mentally. Exercise felt like it was taking over my life before and now it doesn’t. I think it’s all about balance – as long as I’m moving around during the day, eating healthy and indulging every once in a while, I’m good with that. It’s not all about looks (like I once believed), it’s about how I feel inside that matters most – that’s what fit means to me.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Sisterhood of the World

Sarah
    January 23, 2014 at 9:57 am

To me, being fit is eating healthy – clean & watching my portions – and staying physically active. I’ve also struggled with pain and injury from running so nowadays I tread lightly and mix in other forms of exercise like walking, yoga and classes. Great post, I love the yoga pose you strike in the snow!

Nikki @ Quest for Balance
    January 23, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Love, love, love this post Davida! I have a very similar story to yours. While it feels good to look a certain way when your pretty much running your body into the ground, the rest of your life sure gets out of whack. Fit to me is finding balance and listening to what my body needs. I’m working really hard to tune into my body’s cues for eating and exercise and am seeing how this goes. While I was a little disheartened as well to lose that more mainstream fit physique after I stopped measuring all my food, tracking everything I ate, and logging two hours a day at the gym 6 days a week (madness!), I’m overall a much happier person.
    Nikki @ Quest for Balance recently posted…Thinking Out Loud

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    January 23, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Love this post! Since moving to NYC I’ve had to redefine “fit” as well. I left the fitness classes that I taught behind in Nashville, so now I exercise for me. I don’t have to drag myself to the gym to lead others when I’m dead tired, sore, or sick. I can take care of me. That feels pretty good right now. YES, my body is different since I’m not working out as hard or consistenly, but I almost feel healthier because I don’t live sore anymore. I think fit means different things at different seasons of your life. For now, eating well and being active daily is feeling fit for me.
    Heather @Gluten-Free Cat recently posted…Raw Foods Thursdays: 1/23/14

Fascinating Friday Links #21 | Daily Moves and Grooves
    January 24, 2014 at 6:02 am

[…] does it mean to you?] What Does “Fit” Mean to You? via The Healthy […]

Elyse @ Lizzie Fit
    January 24, 2014 at 8:26 am

I love posts like this. Very inspiring and empowering <3 I have a very similar definition of fit but if I could put it into one line, it would be the ability to do everything I want to do in life (dance, play, jump, run the stairs without being breathless, lift a heavy box with hurting myself) while feeling strong and confident with a smile on my face 🙂
    Elyse @ Lizzie Fit recently posted…Fit Friday: Stability Ball Plank Circles

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    January 24, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I’ve had very similar struggles in my past…and continue today. i think “fit” is finding the perfect balance for yourself, which will differ for everyone. I DEFINITELY believe that you do NOT have to be skinny to be fit. I’m still searching for that balance, as it seems to change every day (if that makes sense).
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Spicy Sweet Potato Fries With Cucumber Yogurt Dip

January 24, 2014 at 9:40 pm

That dancer’s pose with snow shoes on is IMPRESSIVE. I often try doing yoga on the paddle board when I’m at the lake and end up falling off. My aunt cues me into poses and it’s real fun(ny for the neighbors).

Fit to me means being able to do a push-up or sit up or being able to play a game of pick-up anything and feel good about it – being able to run around like a kid. Anything kids do without thinking, we should be able to do as adults. I think that’s a good fitness litmus test.
    Cassie recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday [1]: Sugar Detox Day 7

Good good links #23 | Let's get living
    January 25, 2014 at 5:40 pm

[…] What Does ‘Fit’ Mean To You? via The Healthy Maven […]

Open Mind Weekly {04/14} | With An Open Mind
    January 26, 2014 at 4:51 am

[…] The Healthy Maven – What Does “Fit” Mean To You […]

. link love 1/26 . | . running with spoons .
    January 26, 2014 at 8:51 am

[…] What Does “Fit” Mean To You? via The Healthy Maven. Definitely not working out 6-7 days a week like it used to… […]

Andrea @ Pencils and pancakes
    January 26, 2014 at 9:53 am

I love this! My journey to realizing what is best for me is almost identical to yours….forcing myself 6-7 days to do high intensity work outs leading to an injury. And I used to meticulously plan out workouts and feel depressed if I didnt do it. I am just now realizing that less planning leads to a happier and healthier me. Not trying to push myself and taking it day by day actually pays off- when I actually have the energy to “push it” i get much better results!
    Andrea @ Pencils and pancakes recently posted…3 Phase Paleo: Review

Best of January 2014 - The Healthy Maven
    January 31, 2014 at 5:01 am

[…] What Does “Fit Mean to you? 2. The Best Ever Banana Bread (gf & v) 3. Pesto Egg Salad (gf) 4. 12 Healthy Food Bloggers to […]

Weekly Links #5 | foodiEcology
    February 2, 2014 at 1:55 pm

[…] What Does Fit Mean To You? via The Healthy Maven […]

Food for the… #3 | Eating For Balance
    February 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm

[…] What Does “Fit” Mean to You? — The Healthy Maven […]

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    February 3, 2014 at 12:31 am

I’d have to say my definition of fit is pretty similar to yours…I used to feel guilty if I didn’t work out at least 5-6 days a week or if I indulged in too many sweets or “unhealthy” food, but then I finally began to see what it meant to live a life of moderation. I’ve always considered myself to be to one extreme or the other so that concept definitely took some time to learn, but right now I feel good living day to day, planning workouts as they come and choosing to eat whatever the hell I want to eat whenever I want to eat it. In the end, it all balances out and I am actually SEEING that now as I’ve seen a lot of the weight I gained last year start to fall away. I’m working out more than I was then so I know that’s part of it, but I do it because I want to and it makes me feel good, not because I feel that I need to compensate for my diet or to prove something to someone…it’s really a pretty great feeling! 🙂
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Januar-ily

{Guest Post} Mythbusting: Weight Loss Workouts - The Healthy Maven
    April 12, 2014 at 3:41 am

[…] Friends! I have an awesome guest post for you today. As you may have noticed, the past few weeks I’ve been linking up to Lisa’s “Fit Tip Tuesday”. Lisa is filled with quick tips leading to a healthier and “fitter” you, whatever your version of “fit” may be!  […]