Mocha Overnight Oats

First off, THM wants to say thank you for all of your wonderful birthday wishes! Yes, I consider my blog it’s own entity. No, I’m not ashamed of this. But fo realz you guys are awesome. I may or may not have cried.

Back to today’s recipe. We’re talking oats. I’m fairly certain the last time we talked oats I was complaining of sweltering weather and training for a half-marathon. Those days are loooooong gone, but fortunately the oatmeal is still kicking. I took a little hiatus from my morning oats after the copious amounts of granola I made sucked me in (for the record granola is now officially banned since I cannot control myself), but I’m back on the warm oatmeal train and I’m feeling gooooood.

mocha overnight oats You know what else makes me feel good? Coffee. My introduction to coffee was so cliche…Starbucks. A grande sugar-free hazelnut soy cafe misto to be exact. Otherwise known as, my life’s savings. But then I decided to become a psych major in my third year which entailed 14 psych courses in 2 years and the harder stuff was required. By harder I’m talking grande bold black. Don’t worry people, I only get high on life.

mocha overnight oats 2 Deep into my coffee addiction I came across the anti-coffee camp and I had a freak out that I was single-handedly destroying my health. Naturally, my obsessive self took to tea and began building what might be considered the world’s largest tea collection (50+ teas). I love tea and I always will but I’ve recently discovered that I am actually a better person after coffee. I’m nicer, more patient, increasingly productive and just plain happier.

So just like my oats, coffee is back. I figured I may as well combine the two in this Mocha Overnight Oats recipe.

Mocha Overnight Oats

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: Overnight (at least 6 hours)

Keywords: no-bake breakfast gluten-free dairy-free chocolate oats mocha

Ingredients (serves: 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 ripe banana, sliced and chopped
  • 1 tsp honey/maple syrup/ agave/other sweetener (or omit if you don’t like too sweet)
  • 1/2 cup brewed coffee

1. Brew coffee using preferred method.

2. Add oats, cocoa powder, and chia seeds to a medium mason jar or air-tight container.

3. Add in bananas, honey and coffee.

4. Cover and shake until well combined.

5. Place in refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.

6. Eat cold or heat up in the microwave for 1 minute.

Powered by Recipage
Featured on: Wellness Weekends

Coffee or tea? Do you go through breakfast phases?

Comments

1. says

I believe i remember you saying just the other week how you hadn’t conquered the dripping syrup yet for your pancakes – well I’d say pouring coffee and taking a photo is the exact same! Looks delicious, Davida!
    Jessie recently posted…Quinoa, Quinoa, Quinoa

2. says

I go through breakfast phases. My current obsession is oatmeal smoothies!! Precisely Chocolate Oatmeal Smoothies! Oh I’m a fan. What I’m not a fan is coffee. It doesn’t wake me up, I can live without it and I’m totally fine with it. However, I know way too many people that can’t live without it. I still don’t get it, jum I guess I’ll stick to chocolate ;)
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Tabata Arms Workout and Instagram

3. says

Coffee. No question. Sometimes I want tea but it is no substitute in any way…I used to eat the exact same English muffin with peanut butter for breakfast every single morning for easily 7 years straight. Now I rotate a bit more between oatmeal varieties (hot, cold) and I change up the mix-ins but my breakfast must always contain peanut butter.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Three Tip Tuesday – Cait The Arty Runner Chick!

4. says

MMM girl I love me some mocha. I’m definitely way more of a coffee person–my actual first coffee was the Java Chip from Starbucks–does that even count? It’s mostly just chocolate. Anyway, I only drink one cup of coffee per day but I’m trying to drink one cup of tea also since tea is good for you. Trying is the key word.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…No-Bake Butterscotch Coconut Balls

5. says

Before I jump (somewhat) off topic, I will say I love my tea, but coffee wins hands down. I see nothing wrong with a small cup everyday!! I may work at Starbucks (and yes, totally cliche haha, in fact while in Portland exploring coffee shops I didn’t dare tell anyone where I worked. I surely would have been laughed at.) but I don’t drink that much coffee!! I limit myself because it’s easy to overdo it. I USUALLY keep it between 8-12 oz a day, but sometimes I have a little more. ALWAYS black coffee though. ANYWAY this recipe looks great, and your photos are even greater. Yeah, that was a terrible sentence but you get it.

NOW I feel the need to share this because of the french press in your photos..I had the same one..and by had I mean I literally (10 minutes ago) JUST BROKE MINE!!! I went to make my coffee this morning and I hit the glass with another piece of glass and boom..shatter. Right as my water kettle started to steam…so I figured out how to get my coffee through a makeshift way…I’m sort of proud actually. ANd now I must buy a new press!
    Brittany recently posted…Heart Breaker Half…errr…10K

6. says

I am a coffee person. I just don’t function properly decaf! Everytime I try to go off coffee I am just plain miserable. So I gave up on the whole thing and accepted that there is no life without the delicious comforting liquid!
    I go through crazy breakfast phases. My longest was oatmeal so far (approx. 7 month) then came Green Smoothies, Yoghurt Bowls, Banana Egg Bakes and now I am desperately deep stuck in a Smoothie phase for which I blame Amanda.
    This recipe sounds and looks very intriguing and I’ll definitely give it a try as soon as I can get away from the Smoothies!
    By the way I am so in love with your pretty pictures!
    Juli @1000lovelythings recently posted…New Body Makeover Challenge – Week 7

7. says

Ironic, I talked about cooking with tea in my post today too :) my breakfasts definitely come in phases hut I haven’t had an oats one in a long time I miss them, I think I should start back up with the recipe because it looks incredible!

8. says

I am definitely a better person after coffee. Any of my co-workers can attest to that, haha. I need it so much that I have an espresso maker at home and a coffee pot in my office. I’ve tried the tea thing and I just can’t replace my coffee! That said, these overnight oats look exactly like something I need in my life. I never thought to use coffee in overnight oats, but I love it!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…300 rep abs workout

9. says

I’m definitely a tea person over coffee, but I think I could do these oats. I don’t coffee as in to drink, but I like things flavoured with coffee (read: coffee ice cream). So…yup. I could do this.
    And definitely on the breakfast phases. Lately, it’s been either protein pancakes or oatmeal with eggs. Now I just need to decide which one I’m going to have today….
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…A ‘Mystery Date’ at Crave.

10. says

My day doesn’t begin truly until I have my coffee (with coconut milk, of course). Obviously mocha is one of the best flavors in the universe ever created ever, so undoubtedly these oats are amazing. I would probably add almond milk to this because I like my OOs a little creamier. And now that I look back at what I just typed, it looks like I’m sending you dirty comments about boobies. I’m not, I swear.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage

• says

I totally did…next year at christmastime I’m getting Tjs gingerbread coffee and making this again. Stupid TJs in Minneapolis was all out…not cool.

p.s. any current TJ favourites? Going to NYC in 2 weeks and wanna stock up.

11. says

Oh wow this recipe looks so fun!! I’m not drinking coffee right now so I kind of wonder if I can substitute the coffee with almond milk…sounds delicious! Look so pretty in the mason jar too!

12. says

Coffee AND tea — don’t make me choose. But only if we’re talking Hot Cinnamon Spice tea from Harney and Sons — the rest I could do without and would be in the coffee camp all the way. And yes for phases! There was a cereal phase, a Poptart phase, a can of Coke phase, and now an oatmeal phase. That last one has been spanning a couple of years, though :lol:
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. applesauce oatmeal muffins .

13. says

We are like soulmantes, I swear.
    a) I just went back to my oatmeal phase after months of not having eaten them.
    b) I’m eating mocha oatmeal as I type this ((doesn’t lok as delish as yours but))
    c) I became super obsessed with coffee like a year ago, then cut down and totally banished from my diet because I thought I was too bad for me AND it’s only been three days since I started drinking it again.

Totally twins, you see.
    Ahhhh girl, this looks amazing. Send a container full of this asap.
    Consuelo – Honey & Figs recently posted…Clean Eating Strawberry Cheesecake Bars

14. says

I’m definitely a tea person, but I used to be neither. I’m not anti-coffee or anything, I just think it’s gross. I wish I liked it, black coffee is supposed to be amazing. John on the other hand loves his coffee AND his oatmeal so I might bully him into making this and/or make it for him. :)
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Back to basics: Smoothies

15. says

I’m all coffee, all the way baby, although I have been trying to incorporate a little tea into my routine. Breakfasts during the work week are usually fruit #publicbanana, smoothies, or granola with yogurt. On weekends I get a little bit more elaborate and go with eggs, potatoes, toast and on a rare occasion french toast or pancakes. This past weekend was a rare occasion, and I had French toast on Saturday and Sunday.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Linkilicious

16. says

I love coffee, but it doesn’t really love me (unless it’s decaf) – it gives me a headache and leaves me feeling not my best. So I alternate between drinking decaf coffee and orange pekoe tea in the mornings with herbal tea throughout the rest of the day.

I adore mocha flavoured foods/drinks though – this recipe looks amazing!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Pancakes, hockey, and brunch at Stoney’s

17. says

Tea drinker all the way! Years ago when I was a coffee addict I would have loved this recipe but now I would love them as chocolate oats only minus the coffee << Total fusspot right here.

I am in friggin love with the adorable serving dish you used to put it in, too cute :)

18. says

Mostly tea…something about coffee that does like my system, which makes me very sad! For some odd reason, I want to be the kind of person that wakes up and drinks her cup of coffee. Weird goal, I know. And phases happen all the time with my eating, and even with our meal plan. I think phases make grocery shopping easier.
    Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted…Just Trying To Catch Up.

19. says

Would you believe that I have never made overnight oats? I think that every healthy living blogger out there besides me has haha. I eat oatmeal here and there but don’t really get the overall obsession with it! In any event, this looks pretty!

Tea all the way! Coffee makes me a nut. I’m really sensitive to caffeine and when I drink coffee my body feels like it’s buzzing (not in a good way!) and I get a headache. Oh, and I get absolutely no energy from it… hence why I like tea!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Cocogo Brand Ambassador

20. says

I WENT THROUGH AN ANTI-COFFEE PHASE. Surprisingly, during my senior year of college until nearly two years later. Then I was hanging out with this boy and would be up until like 2 every night (totally PG we would sit talking in our cars for hours after our friends left whatever we were doing) and started drinking iced coffee at work everyday. Mainly because my work used to have the best iced coffee. I also go through breakfast phases. Right now it’s in this weird yogurt-pumpkin muffin-oatmeal mixeroo stage.

Oh, a secret – Target brand coffee (archer farms) is seriously the. best. coffee (outside of Hawaii, that is).
    Cassie recently posted…How to Have a Successful Long Run

21. says

I feel like I have hit the trifecta! All three of my fave flavors in one easy creamy, delicious dish! Now I have another great reason to look forward to breakfast! I am so glad I found your mocha overnight oats recipe and your wonderful blog via Healthy Vegan Fridays! I look forward to experiencing much more! I’m subscribing, following and sharing too! All the best, Deborah
    Deborah Davis recently posted…Share the Food & Fun at the Plant Based Potluck Party Link Up!

22. says

While it wasn’t my FIRST introduction to coffee, I can say that my first trip to Starbucks (to get my teacher a coffee, mind you) was a day I will never forget…the first time I ever laid tastebuds on the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte! Aforementioned teacher gave me money to get “a little something for myself”…what she didn’t realize was that she was basically to blame for the $3965826735 dollars spent on the raging sugar/caffeine addiction that was my college years! Eventually, I did a stent in rehab and thankfully I’ve been Star-take-my-bucks free for years now. Which is better since I can now spend that money on FOOD! ;)

Have I ever gone through a breakfast phase? Ha! I go through everything in phases! I went through a HUGE tea phase for about a year…now, not so much. Please, tell me what I’m supposed to do with the like, 20 boxes I have in my pantry! PuhLEEEEEASE!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…VEGAN Beautifying Beet Smoothie

23. says

Happy Belated Birthday, Davida, I hope you celebrated it with a great smile and wishing you a lovely year full of bliss and yummy foods! Just got back from my weeklong trip in Lima! I’ve been addicted to quinoa oatmeal lately – it was so yummy, plus gluten-free! I’m currently testing a savory overnight oats for another food blogger’s cookbook and I can’t wait to give it a try! I like my mocha frapp from Starbucks – yum for brewed coffee! Doni loves brewing cold coffee! I’m a tea person, Doni’s a coffee person, hehe!

Trackbacks