In another life I would make an awesome private investigator. My google search skills and facebook stalking abilities are on point. I’m not entirely sure that these are qualities I should be bragging about, but it’s the truth.
In many ways these skills have benefitted my food blogging career (is it a career?). Part of running a successful food blog is having a good understanding of what recipes people are looking for. Even though it is my taste and cravings which ultimately drive the content, if people are absolutely repulsed (aka has zero google searches) by blueberry and bacon encrusted chickpeas (ha!) then it might not be the wisest thing for me to post this.
Being able to manipulate google and all of its various programs has been surprisingly important in the growth of THM.
One of my fav google programs to use is google trends. I would never call myself a trendsetter but instead am a very proud trend-follower. I like doing research on what’s on the rise and could legit spend hours comparing various trends from fashion colour-blocking to chia pets to kale.
When I had too much time on my hands over the holidays aka the only Jew not at the movies on Christmas Eve I had a solid google trends session and boy did I discover some interesting things. It turns out our interest in hamsters has increased 90% in the last 10 years, about 1 person searched for “myspace” in the past year and paleo is all the rage these days.
Now I could have told you that paleo has been gaining popularity in the past few years but I clearly didn’t realize how much until google trends enlightened me. Vegan, gluten-free and basically every other diet out there has nothing on paleo.
Good thing I like paleo recipes! Now you guys know I do not follow the paleo diet (you can read about my experience following it here) but I am certainly open to it. If you exclude the grains, legumes, white potatoes and tiny bit of dairy I eat, I am basically paleo (kidding). Then again if I could live exclusively off these Paleo Mexican Hot Chocolate Pancakes with Salted Dulce de Leche, then I would become paleo in a second.
They’re fluffy like classic pancakes and topped with my deceptively milk-free salted dulce de leche . If these don’t start trending then I’m resigning my position at THM (self-proclaimed kitchen destroyer, food pornographer and writer extraordinaire) and taking up that career in private investigating.
Serves: 8 pancakes
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 T coconut flour
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more for spicier)
- 2 tsp paleo-friendly baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- coconut oil for pan
- 1/2 cup dates (soaked in hot water for at least 1 hour)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp melted coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, coconut flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the almond milk, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry until well-combined. Let sit for 5 minutes so coconut flour can absorb the liquid.
- Heat a large pan or pancake griddle to medium heat and melt coconut oil (about 1 tsp).
- Add 1/3 cup of batter per pancake and let cook for 3 minutes or until all bubbles have popped and rim looks cooked.
- Flip and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Repeat process until all pancake batter has been used.*
- Strain dates and add to a food processor or blender.
- Add in all other ingredients and blend on high until well combined. Add in more almond milk to thin out if you prefer a thinner consistency.
Like what you see? Don’t miss out on my Healthy Breakfast eCookbook filled with 40 delicious and healthy breakfasts on sale for $5.99!
Anyone else a google trends stalker? How are your private investigating skills?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!