Tropical Coconut Sangria

Now that the ebook is done, I’ve had to find a new challenge to occupy my time. This may seem like a somewhat ordinary sangria, but nooooo, this drink is actually quite special. You see, my new mission in life is to develop a drink which cures your hangover while you’re still drinking. Wine + Vodka + Coconut Water = the most brilliant concoction to have ever graced this planet.

Tropical Coconut Sangria // thehealthymaven.com Can we take a minute to discuss hangovers please? I remember when I experienced my first one (we won’t discuss the age…Sorry Mom and Dad!) and I honestly thought the world was ending. Then I went to college and they SUCKED but I was privileged enough to just skip class and watch TV in bed all day (again, sorry Mom and Dad!). Fast forward to last weekend when I experienced the hangover from hell.

What I have come to learn is that hangovers definitely get worse the older you get. While, I recognize I have very little responsibility besides myself and my home, if I wake up with a hangover it means many of the tasks I am responsible for just won’t get done or more likely will get done in combination with frequent bathroom breaks (TMI?!). It just isn’t pleasant and while hangovers seldom happen these days, when they do it feels as though I’ve contracted the plague.

Topical Coconut Sangria // thehealthymaven.com Fortunately moderation is something I managed to learn as I’ve gotten older so frequent binge drinking and absurdly early brunches (by this I mean before 1:00PM) where you still stink of alcohol are no longer a staple in my life. Although I’ll admit alcohol is very much a part of my existence. I love my wine and my cocktails and since the years of having “a few too many” are increasingly diminishing I’m not about to soberly watch them fly by.

In conjunction with moderation I seem to have also found my “happy point” aka tipsy but not black-out. I suspect moderation and my happy point go hand-in-hand. Alternatively, you can always chase your alcohol with coconut water and hope for the best!

Tropical Coconut Sangria

Rating: 51

Total Time: 2 hours

Serving Size: 8

Tropical Coconut Sangria

• 1 cup pineapple, chopped
  • 1 cup mango, chopped
  • 1 orange, sliced
  • ½ cup vodka
  • 1 bottle of white wine
  • 1 cup coconut water

1. Combine all in a large pitcher or bowl.
  2. Let sit for at least 2 hours (longer is better).
  3. Serve on ice.

Tropical Coconut Sangria // thehealthymaven.com Worst hangover you’ve ever had? What’s your favourite drink?

Comments

1. says

Drinking and me never got along. My low blood pressure kinda keeps me drinking much or getting drunk because one extra sip and I pass out. Has happened one too many times in one too many restaurants from not even one too many drinks. We are talking half a drink. Miami. South Beach. On the floor. Good thing no one in Miami notices a girl on the floor, people would just assume I was completely wasted lol. Since those times I avoid vodka like the plague and just stick to wine which I seem to tolerate slightly better.

2. says

Hangovers when you’re older (aka 27 v. 21) are THE WORST. I don’t know what happens…shouldn’t you get used to alcohol more the older you are?! Sheesh.

I love this sangria as a hangover cure! Coconut water is usually my go to for fixing my electrolyte levels anyway. So this is perfect!
    Joanne recently posted…Summer Fun KitchenAid Artisan Mixer #GIVEAWAY!!

3. says

I love sangria, but I’m pretty much useless when it comes to handling alcohol these days. Heck, even back in ‘the day,’ I still kept things pretty moderate because my body never tolerated alcohol very well. That and seeing a buddy get his stomach pumped for alcohol poisoning was kind of scarring :shock:

4. says

Rehydrating while dehydrating. It’s genius and pretty much cancels out the alcohol. I can’t wait to get my drink on now, although I’m thinking strawberry sangria since I just went strawberry picking and happen to have a fridge and freezer full of those delicious red berries.

5. says

Worst hangover I ever had: Once when I was 22 I went with a friend to Jack’s on a Thursday night….when they had Jagerbombs on special. Ohmygod I’ve never been in so much pain in my life. I’ve gotten good at figuring out my limit though, when I’ll cross from ‘yay tipsy!’ to ‘ohmygod I’m dying.’ Actually, I found myself rapidly approaching that line at a BBQ yesterday and convinced myself to set down the cider I was drinking and go get a water bottle…hangover avoided!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…3 Years.

6. says

HaHa – I love it!!! A drink that cures the hangover – like the “hair of the dog.”
    I agree – hangovers are brutal as you get older – since having kids I’ve made it a point to not let that happen – I don’t have days of my life to waste. (every once in awhile I let loose and pay the price but….)
    Kim recently posted…Stability (6/22-6/28)

7. says

Well this post is definitely applicable today – I have a bit of a hangover after camping last night! Luckily it’s only a small one though. I can’t deal with those hangovers where I’m stuck puking in bed all day aka New Year’s Day of this year. That was by FAR the worst hangover I’ve ever had it my life and I never want to feel that way again haha.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Why health claims and symbols aren’t health promoting

8. says

Hahahahah – I was laughing the entire way through this post!! Seriously, I swear hangovers get worse by the minute. It almost makes me shy away from wine all together, but let’s be real… that ain’t happenin’ anytime soon! I love your solution – coconut water cures all, right?!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Summer Fun with Blue Diamond

9. says

Ugh I experienced my first real hungover last Friday morning and it was torture AH :’( And I’m only 17…. I really hope it doesn’t get much worse than that!
    Let me tell you that you’re a genius my friend – boozy drinks that also cure hangovers??? Including both of my favorite drinks (yay for vodka and wine, they’re all I ever drink! Oh well, and gin too. But I seem to find that gin and me aren’t the best of friends whoops) and mangoes yyayay! This sounds brilliant!
    Consuelo – Honey & Figs recently posted…Baked Zoatmeal Cakes with Tahini Drizzle

10. says

So let me start by saying, I hate alcohol. Can’t stand the taste, can’t stand how people act when they’re drunk, can’t stand how it smells. This drink however? SCREAMING my name. The one alcohol I can actually handle is sangria, and this one looks way too delicious to be true. Now if only I had some friends to drink it with!!
    Kat recently posted…Review: Bagel Spice