balls/bites gluten-free paleo raw snacks vegan

Lemon Hemp Bites

March 14, 2013
The other day my mom asked me what the difference was between hemp, chia and flax seeds? I’ll be honest, I was a little stumped. I know they are all good sources of essential fatty acids and high in fiber but as for what differentiates them, I was not so sure. So I started looking into it and thought I might share some of my findings.
I’ve broken my research up into three parts. Each part will feature information on the nutritional profile of hemp, flax or chia seeds. Since all this information is useless unless we can apply it i’ve included a recipe using the featured seed.
I hope you learn something or at the very least test out a delicious recipe 🙂

Hemp Seeds

I don’t know about you, but hemp makes me think of hippies twirling around and drumming in their organic homemade moomoos. It’s true that hemp does in fact have many non-edible uses. In the past hemp was used for making paper, clothes, ropes and oil for lamps and many people continue to use it for these items today. Most notably hemp is often associated with Marijuana. Just to be clear, you cannot get high for smoking or eating hemp! Marijuana and hemp both come from the same species of plant, Cannabis sativa L., but from different varieties, similar to the concept of different dog breeds. Weed is from the flowering tops and leaves of psychoactive varieties of Cannabis. Hemp seeds on the other hand are obviously the seeds but come from non psychoactive plants. Hemp is legal to grow everywhere…and well we all know where Marijuana is legal…
BUT this post is about the nutritional benefits of hemp! So let’s get to it.

1) Hemp seeds contain all 20 Amino Acids (the building blocks of protein) including the 9 essential amino acids that our bodies are unable to produce on their own.

2) Hemp contains the highest botanical source of essential fatty acids (Omega 6s and Omega 3s), with more essential fatty acids than flax or any other nut or seed

3) Hemp seeds have a perfect 3:1 ratio of Omega-6s and Omega-3s. This is important because excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids or a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is common in Western diets, promotes the pathogenesis of many diseases including cardiovascular disease, cancer and many inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. At the same time increased levels of omega-3 or a low omega-6/omega-3 ratios prevents the development of these diseases.

4) Hemp seeds contain a high protein percentage of the easily digestible and complete proteins that strengthen immunity and fend off toxins. One ounce (about two tablespoons) of hemp seeds contains 9 grams of protein!

5) Hemp seeds are high in vitamin E, magnesium, potassium and iron.

6) Hemp seeds are a rich source of phytonutrients, the disease-protective element of plants with benefits protecting your immunity, bloodstream, tissues, cells, skin, and organs.

I’ve only included these 6 points but hemp offers many other benefits. Click the link at the bottom if you’re interested in exploring more.
Clearly hemp seeds are a great addition to a healthy diet. Like anything they should be consumed in moderation. As I mentioned above, an excessive or uneven amount of omega6-omega3 ratio can cause a host of negative reactions in the body. This is true of all fatty acid containing foods (chia, flax, nuts, other seeds etc…). Hemp may contain the highest amount of these fatty acids compared to other seeds but also has the benefit of the perfect 3:1 ratio so if eaten in limited quantities it is definitely the best option. Hemp for the win!

There are many different ways to incorporate hemp seeds into your diet. My favourites include sprinkling them on oatmeal, adding them to smoothies or incorporating them into snack bites to up the protein as I do in the recipe below.

I think this post is long enough so let’s get to the good stuff…

Lemon Hemp Bites

Cook Time 10 mins

• 1 cup cashews
  • 1 cup dates
  • 1/4 cup hemp seeds (shelled)
  • 1/4 cup vanilla protein (I used Vega)
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

1. In food processor pulse cashews and dates together until broken down (about 2 mins)
  2. Add in all other ingredients (except lemon juice) and process for 1 min.
  3. While processor is running add in juice of half a lemon until all ingredients come together to form a large ball.
  4. Divide into 15 medium sized balls for an easy energy boost! Store in refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for a month.

Lemon Hemp Bite
Do you eat hemp seeds in your diet? How do you incorporate them?

For more information on hemp seeds click here

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    March 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I found you through Wellness Weekends. These look divine! Would you be interested in sharing them at Raw Foods Thursdays too? We’d love to have you! http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2013/03/raw-foods-thursdays-31413/

Davida
    March 15, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Hi Heather! I’m glad you like them. I would love to share them on Raw foods thursdays. I will link up now!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    March 15, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Thanks! I’m going to highlight them next week. They just look too fabulous!! Have a great weekend!

Ricki
    March 16, 2013 at 1:08 am

These do look great!! I think I’m going to have to try some–so many great ingredients! Thanks so much for linking up to Wellness Weekend! 🙂

Davida
    March 16, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Thanks Ricki! I hope you enjoy them. Thank you so much for hosting us. I’ve tried out so many delicious recipes through DDD and Wellness Weekend. So great to hear from a fellow Canadian 🙂

Chocolate Matcha Energy Balls + An Energy Ball Round-Up! - The Healthy Maven
    May 30, 2014 at 9:04 am

[…] Balls-Fannetastic Food (gf, df) Coconut Nut Balls- Running To The Kitchen (gf, df, paleo-friendly) Lemon Hemp Bites- The Healthy Maven (gf, df, paleo-friendly) Mexican Mocha No-Bake Cookie Dough Balls- Tasty Yummies […]

omega juicer vert
    June 10, 2014 at 4:48 am

Greetings! Very useful advice within this post! It is the
    little changes that produce the biggest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

Have a look at my web blog … omega juicer vert
    omega juicer vert recently posted…omega juicer vert

June 19, 2014 at 4:47 am

In the end of his research on medical decision-making based on all of creation. All the organisations contacted
    insisted that applicants’ sexuality was irrelevant, embarrassing or personal.
    He was frightened at first, the controller
    died. You will never be san diego dog trainer the happy Mrs.
    1995 Larson, Sherrill, and I start trying to figure out what we are deluded.
    At the initial treatment phase. Normally it is hard for you
    to calm you down.
    http://availableardor989.exteen.com/20140508/animal-care-in-san-francisco recently posted…http://availableardor989.exteen.com/20140508/animal-care-in-san-francisco

Deb
    March 27, 2015 at 9:18 am

These are delicious! I did have a minor problem, they were very sticky and hard to form in balls. Any suggestions? Keep up the great recipes!

April 5, 2015 at 8:40 pm

They’re usually pretty sticky but harden in the fridge/freezer. Try adding in a bit more protein powder next time to act as a glue if they’re way too sticky. Glad you liked them!

Paleo Meal Plan Monday Week 2
    May 3, 2015 at 2:01 pm

[…] Lemon Hemp Bites […]

larissa
    September 6, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Wow, these looks so good! I think your recipe is so thorough and easy to follow, I am sure it’s almost fool proof! Thanks so much for sharing this, I definitely will have to try to make these!

Christina
    November 10, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Hearing that hemp seeds contain the highest botanical source of essential fatty acids will make the substance more attractive to some health enthusiasts. This appears to be a very nutritious snack.

Russ
    November 30, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Hey Davida, it’s great to see you championing hemp seeds, as I feel they don’t get the love they deserve compared to other so-called superfoods. Hopefully, recipes like this will help change that…

Anyway, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Heather
    April 26, 2017 at 11:28 am

Nice! These take no time at all to make and they look delicious! And the added health benefits of the hemp seeds make for a guilt-free snack. Thanks for sharing!