dinner gluten-free meat paleo slow-cooker

Slow-Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks

January 16, 2014

My brother just stopped by the house for his daily coffee. Now that I’m not in the office 9:00-5:00 I’ve since discovered that my brother treats my family’s home like a Starbucks. Granted we have Starbucks coffee at my house so it kind of makes sense, but there’s at least 5 Starbucks locations between his apartment and my house.

honey mustard drumsticks

I was lacking inspiration for today’s post so I asked him for some advice. I showed him the pictures to hear his opinion to which he responded “meh”. Which was then followed by “I read your post today…it was okay.” So as retaliation I am posting about what a jerk he is. You’re welcome.

I’m just kidding, he’s only sometimes a jerk, but when it comes to the blog I don’t put much weight in his opinion. He did after all eat McD’s for dinner last night. It’s also incredibly difficult to make meat look as appetizing as baked goods for the record. I told him I was going to post about him today and he told me he’d start a blog where he’d shit-talk The Healthy Maven everyday. Sibling love at it’s finest!

honey mustard drumsticks 2

So here’s my recipe for Slow-Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks that my brother thinks looks pretty “meh”. The rest of my family on the other hand was smart enough to keep the commentary to themselves so that I would feed these to them for dinner last night. Wise people.

Slow-Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks

PREP TIME 5 mins

• 10 chicken drumsticks (any kind of chicken would work e.g. breasts)
  • 4 T dijon mustard
  • 3 T honey
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 T water

1. 1. Mix together all sauce ingredients.
  2. 2. Add chicken to slow-cooker and coat with sauce.
  3. 3. Cook on high for 3-4 hours (will be done after 3 but whenever you can turn it off).
  4. 4. Serve warm over rice.

D @ The Kosher Cave Girl
    January 16, 2014 at 5:59 am

This sounds exactly like my twin brother and I…. you gotta love them. My brother walks around and refers me “The Kosher Cave Girl” in public. Sometimes it makes me want to smack him, but thank g-d I still have a shred of a sense of humor left.

Oh, and yeah, the chicken looks delish!
    D @ The Kosher Cave Girl recently posted…Pecan Butter Cups + Sea Salt

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    January 16, 2014 at 6:06 am

My parents used to make a specific Dijon chicken recipe that was fabulous. Not that I eat chicken anymore but I think I need to find out what that recipe was so I can share it with guys,,,and make it for my son. BTW, I saw that you shrieked when you spotted my peanut butter in Canada! I really hope you bought it!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Thinking Out Loud – Dark Chocolate Chips, McDonald’s and Kimmy Gibbler

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    January 16, 2014 at 6:54 am

My sister and I actually get on quite well but we definitely had our moments over the years 😉

I need to buy a slow cooker! These drumsticks look delicious, love honey/mustard.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Thinking out loud – fitness edition

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    January 16, 2014 at 7:01 am

Haha I am like your brother, but I treat my parent’s home like free refrigerator to store my farmers market goodies while I hit the gym. Your relationship with the bro sounds very strangely similar to mine, except my brother just asks me repeatedly why the heck I always take pictures of my food. 😉
    Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted…Pickling 101

January 16, 2014 at 11:12 pm

in 2 weeks I’ll be doing the same! I really shouldn’t judge seeing as I live with the amenities daily but once I’m out I know I’ll be taking advantage of the costco paper towel roll hoarder happening in my basement!

January 16, 2014 at 7:02 am

Ahh one of the many reasons I need a Crockpot. Your brother sounds like a funny guy – at least you know that when he gives you a compliment, he really, really means it!! Send me some of these for lunch please! I’ll write nothing but good about The Healthy Maven in return!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Rosemary Chicken Burgers

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness
    January 16, 2014 at 7:23 am

I have a twin brother! But, your brother and my brother sound like long lost BFFS…He would say the exact same thing to me. How-ev-er we are actually best friends and I wish that he could just pop over for coffee. Since he lives in Vancouver, BC and I like in Florida,…..it’s a bit of a commute. 😉
    But, this chicken? I need it
    Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted…Crockpot Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Avocado Ranch Sauce {Whole Wheat}

Madison
    January 16, 2014 at 7:29 am

1) I do have a sibling, my older sister
    2) We are super nice to each other now and basically BFFs–but we were not always that way. 🙂
    3) Those drumsticks. YUM! I cannot wait to try them! I love how small the list of ingredients is.
    Madison recently posted…My Dream House: The Living Room

January 16, 2014 at 11:13 pm

You and your sis are too cute! I love seeing facebook and IG pics. Not nearly as close with my sisters but my bro is pretty awesome despite his snarky remarks every now and then 😉

Shawn @ Fruity 'N' Nutty
    January 16, 2014 at 7:41 am

Haha, the banter between you and your brother is hilarious! It sure is great to have a sibling to trade insults with, isn’t it? 😛 Kidding, though having a sibling sure is awesome. 🙂 Glad you ignore you’re brother’s opinion for this post because it sure looks delicious!

January 16, 2014 at 7:43 am

I don’t know what your brother is talking about – those look delicious to me! I love honey and mustard together, especially on chicken and fish.

My sister and I used to never get along when we were younger, but we’re really close now!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Cookbook review: Clean Food

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    January 16, 2014 at 7:45 am

hahaha you got to love the brother sister relationships. I don’t think I could ever get my brother to read mine!
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…At Home Cardio Ladder & a Winner!

Kim @ BusyBod
    January 16, 2014 at 7:54 am

This is hysterical, sibling love! Tell your brother if he starts that hater blog we will spam him with retaliatory comments defending your honor. So obviously this recipe isn’t for me, but John has been looking for slow cooker chicken recipes so he can make a bunch (with little effort) and have it to eat with the veggie meals I make for us. So… perfect timing!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Run the rainbow {giveaway}

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    January 16, 2014 at 8:35 am

Don’t you just love brothers? Also I don’t really like honey mustard soo…..but these still look good because your pictures are awesome so in my mind that totally counts 😉
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Warby Parker’s Palm Canyon Collection: No Two Pairs Are Alike

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    January 16, 2014 at 8:57 am

Davida – thanks for this easy honey mustard chicken recipe – I think my sister would love this! She lives in Texas (I am in Georgia) so the few times a year we se each other we are nice to each other – but, I am always teasing her via text and I think she wishes she could throw a brick at me from Texas sometimes 🙂
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted…When Integrity and Kindness Meet

January 16, 2014 at 11:16 pm

hahahahahaha I’m sure mine feel the same about me though they could actually throw a brick at me lol

January 16, 2014 at 9:18 am

That looks and sounds so yummy! Makes me want a slow cooker.
    Cassie recently posted…waltzing on Wednesdays #3

January 16, 2014 at 9:19 am

My brother and I were always at each others throats when we were younger, but fortunately we seem to have outgrown that…for the most part. But yeees to this recipe. I seriously love chicken drumsticks and thighs compared to white meat. And while mustard is iffy for me, honey mustard is my favourite. So good!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…The How-To’s of a Lightbox.

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    January 16, 2014 at 9:28 am

these sound fantastic! Definitely going on the menu for next week!
    Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…How being gluten free is going.

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    January 16, 2014 at 9:40 am

Mmm! I’m making drumsticks tonight. Maybe I’ll use this recipe. I have a younger sister… she’s kinda evil. When my friends met her at Christmas, they were like, “She seems mean. Is she mean?” Hahaha
    Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN recently posted…Thinking Out Loud (#4)

January 16, 2014 at 11:18 pm

We could talk for days about evil sisters…there’s a reason I don’t post about mine…

Christine@ Apple of My Eye
    January 16, 2014 at 9:53 am

Love how simple and delicious this recipe looks! I’m a BIG fan of the sweet and salty combination and honey mustard is making me drool. Thanks for making me crave drumsticks at 7 in the morning hahah 😉
    Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted…Honey Orange Chicken Stir Fry

Madison @ Eating 4 Balance
    January 16, 2014 at 10:17 am

As honey mustard was always one of my favorite dipping sauces for chicken nuggets, this recipe gets a two thumbs up from me! Wise family indeed. I would be happy to have these for supper tonight over my plain roasted chicken.

Yes to both questions. I have a brother, and we are just as nice to each other. 😉
    Madison @ Eating 4 Balance recently posted…5 Ways To Know When You Have Been Back Home For Too Long

January 16, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I was a honey mustard dipping sauce kind of girl too! And copious amounts of ketchup for the fries 😉

Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans
    January 16, 2014 at 10:18 am

Haha amazing. That is also very funny about the coffee!

I don’t even know if my sister reads my blog that much! She actually requested a post on breakfast ideas… which I gave about a million! And then never read it… 🙁
    Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans recently posted…How to Create a Vision Board & My Own Personal Example

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    January 16, 2014 at 10:21 am

I love using the crockpot! I haven’t tried to make drumstick style chicken in the crockpot, I actually don’t think I have ever cooked drumsticks actually. As for your brother stopping for coffee, I’m sure you are all happy to see him!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Thinking out Loud

taylor @ taylormade
    January 16, 2014 at 10:45 am

meat recipes don’t always look pretty, ESPECIALLY ones from the crockpot, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t delicious! and this looks right up my alley. yummm!
    taylor @ taylormade recently posted…kindness

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    January 16, 2014 at 11:02 am

At least your brother reads your blog! I can’t say the same for mine. Also, I think this looks delicious and I love any recipe that involves a slow cooker!!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Tighten and Tone with a Barre Video!

Sarah
    January 16, 2014 at 11:29 am

Well these sound (and look) absolutely amazing. Haha your brother treats the family home like Starbucks – pure greatness… I mean coffee is an important daily thing, right? 😉
    Sarah recently posted…Value your worth

Christa @ Sit-ups & Sequins
    January 16, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Uhhh, making this immediately. Dinner for the next few days = done. Thank you for making my life a little easier. 😉
    Christa @ Sit-ups & Sequins recently posted…Guest Post: 5 Ways to Stick to Your Fitness Program

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    January 16, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I’m an only child, so this cracked me up. I’ve always wished I had siblings, but I think you just convinced me otherwise. Not if they’re gonna be unsupportive dickheads (sorry Davida’s brother. I don’t really mean that. I just have a fowl mouth). And this looks really good! Mustard is one of my favorite things to bake chicken with, so I’m biased.
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…Your Perfect You

January 16, 2014 at 11:26 pm

My brother is judging your foul mouth.

Will you be my sister? You’d probably be more fun than my two sisters combined!

Mary Frances
    January 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Are you kidding? Honey mustard drumsticks sound and LOOK incredible! I get it; siblings version of love can be, uh, sketchy. 🙂 My brothers love honey mustard, so this would be a win with them!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Vegan Chocolate Fudge Muffins

January 16, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Yum – my boys will love this and I love it because it is a crock pot recipe!!!
    Kim recently posted…Workout Options – Videos, Pinterest, Machines, Classes, Wing-It

Tara
    January 16, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Brothers, what else are they good for? I actually do not have one, so I am just assuming that they are all really annoying. 😉

Nice of him to read your blog, my mom *just* started reading mine so I consider that the biggest accomplishment of the year!
    Tara recently posted…Oh, New York

Jen @ SavedbytheKale
    January 16, 2014 at 1:30 pm

umm well I think it looks amazing! and I can’t wait to make it! Is your brother older or younger?

I have a younger sister. When we lived at home in our younger yrs we fought alot! After I went away to college I noticed we got along much better when I would come home for the summer. We get along great now! Distance definitely helped us to appreciate each other and grow closer. 🙂
    Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #6

January 16, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I always wanted a brother, but hearing about you and yours kind of makes me reconsider. Actually that’s not true. I loved being an only child when I was younger, but I really wish that I had a sibling now that I’m older. All I have is my parents on this side of the pond, and while I love that we’re really close, it’d definitely be nice to have someone closer to my age!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #61 .

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    January 16, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Your brother sounds like a funny guy. Let me tell you a secret. He probably stops in for coffee at your place because it’s free 😉 Love honey mustard and chicken. This would take no time at all to whip up.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #2

January 16, 2014 at 11:32 pm

100% he does. He also picks up paper towel, kleenex and all other home amenities while he’s here lol

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    January 16, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Lol…sorry, I can’t help but laugh at your conversation with your bro. I’m sure he meant well. The other day my husband asked why my hummus pictures made the hummus look gross. Thanks, love. You try to make it look better. Happy for suggestions…yeah, he quickly apologized but I’ll admit it stung for a bit. I’m over it. 😉 Eh, the life of a food blogger.
    I happen to think that your pics of these drumsticks look really good! I don’t like mustard and I STILL want to eat some of these! What’s that saying? 😉
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Italian Bread

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
    January 16, 2014 at 4:32 pm

I need these immediately…
    Lexi @ Lexi’s Clean Kitchen recently posted…Warm Harvest Salad with Honey Walnut Vinaigrette

January 16, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Dude….we must be twinning this week- our posts are within the same mindset and today- our siblings are mentioned.

Although, I secretly hope your brother starts the other blog. 😉 Nice recipe- especially since I’ve stopped using the slow cooker with chicken boobs because they dry out abit too much- dark meat all the way! And honey mustard….hello.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…48 Hour Diary of an Intuitive Eater

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    January 16, 2014 at 5:08 pm

My brother likes a lot of the foods I enjoy, but then there are…vegetables. When he was still at home, I would roast brussels sprouts and tell him to eat them (such a bossy pants), and he would do so grudgingly. And then when my mom went grocery shopping with him for his new apartment, she asked if he wanted brussels, to which he responded, “I only ate them because Alison made them, but no. I don’t like them.” ….Welllll at least he was considerate 😉
    I am a huge fan of honey mustard and crock pot meals, so I am PUMPED for this recipe! Thanks for sharing, Davida!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Behind the Scenes #6: Sweater Weather and Costco Goods

January 16, 2014 at 11:34 pm

At least he ate them hahaha! Keep trying and maybe he’ll eventually fall in love with brussels because those things are pure gold!

Amanda
    January 16, 2014 at 6:11 pm

If he starts a blog shit talking you, I want to do a guest post on it!!!!
    Amanda recently posted…An Ode to Words (Featuring Albus Dumbledore and Honey Boo Boo)

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    January 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm

This looks awesome! I love slow-cooker recipes that involve “throw it all in and turn it on” kind of directions. I hate recipes that require pre-cooking before the slow cooking! I have an older sister, but we don’t exactly get along!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…You can do anything

Paige@FitNotFad
    January 16, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I think you got the photography down! The drumsticks looks delicious! I’m a sucker for anything honey mustard.
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Friday Favorites + No Alcohol January Update

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome
    January 16, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Yum these sound delicious! I’ve been using my crock pot more and more lately. Love it!
    Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…My Favorite Room and Dimensions Home Decor

Carla
    January 16, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I only have a sister so it could be different from brothers. I haven’t seen her in several years as she lives on the East Coast. It would be awesome if she could swing by for some of these honey mustard drumsticks! It is hard to make meat look as good as baked goods!
    Carla recently posted…#OneChange For Better Health

January 16, 2014 at 10:11 pm

I’ve always wanted a sibling. I’m an only child so I just fantasize about what it’s like to have a sibling.

Also not to be weird but mustard is like my current favorite food basically. In 20 days when I can have sugar again I’m going to make these because mustard + crock pot = love.
    Cassie recently posted…Sweet Potato Hummus

Ramdom Ramblings #6 - The Healthy Maven
    January 17, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] I think I was a little harsh on my brother in yesterday’s post. Because of the oncoming craziness of this weekend I had scheduled the post to publish on Sunday, […]

Fascinating Friday Links #20 | Daily Moves and Grooves
    January 17, 2014 at 9:03 am

[…] mustard goodness] Slow-Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks via The Healthy Maven + Rainbow Chicken Salad with Almond Honey Mustard Dressing via Pinch of […]

Sarah & Arkadi
    January 17, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Yum! love these drumsticks!
    Sarah & Arkadi recently posted…Kimchi Fried Rice with Crispy Pork Belly

Nikki @ will run for pizza
    January 18, 2014 at 9:32 am

LOL I don’t have a bro, but I have bro-in-laws, and I could hear the same things coming out of one of their mouths… 🙂 No holdin’ back there!
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…January’s theme.

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    January 18, 2014 at 11:04 am

I think I will be trying these next 😉
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Days That Give Us Hope

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    January 18, 2014 at 4:24 pm

SAME with my brothers. I made fish fingers today and all they would say was that they looked “too yellow-ish”… they weren’t yellow oh my gosh no. Cooking for jerky brothers is the worst 🙁
    I do think that these drumsticks look great and pretty delicious. Honey mustard? Oh yes!
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Skinny Brownie Bottom Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars {Gluten Free}

January 18, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Ah brothers….they’re just delightful aren’t they, she says while dripping sarcasm. I have two and one is a huge proponent of eating well while the other gives all his money to fast food. Ironically enough, the fast food junkie is actually the one who reads my blog on the regular, not that we ever talk about it, but I know he does. I also know both of them would love these wings.

Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits
    January 19, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I don’t think they sound “meh’,. They sound darn good to me. Maybe I’ll use this recipe to get my 17 year-old started cooking.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    January 20, 2014 at 2:10 am

Hahaha! This has GOT to be the best commentary behind a recipe that I’ve read yet! Totally enjoying the sibling “love” here! I happen to think the chicken looks great! So put THAT in your coffee mug and SIP IT, Brother Maven! 😛
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Peanut Butter Pumpkin Banana Wrap

Thai Salmon Salad - The Healthy Maven
    February 18, 2014 at 5:08 am

[…] that time I was hating on my brother for taking toilet paper from my parent’s house? I get it now…I left my house with more […]

77 Delicious Crock Pot Recipes - Five in Ohio
    February 21, 2014 at 5:02 pm

[…] Cheesesteak Quesadillas 53. Country Captain Chicken with Hatch Chiles 54. Mushroom Barley Stoup 55. Honey Mustard Drumsticks 56. Taco Soup 57. Hawaiian BBQ Chicken 58. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo 59. Applesauce Chicken 60. […]

35+ Dinner Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Less! - Yummy Healthy Easy
    February 27, 2014 at 12:36 pm

[…] Crock Pot Brown Sugar Pineapple Ham from Julie’s Eats & Treats Creamy Baked Ravioli Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks from The Healthy Maven Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice from Wine & Glue Slow Cooker Cranberry […]

Alli
    October 27, 2014 at 10:12 pm

These are what I’m feeding my hubs for dinner tomorrow! Looks so very yummy!

Some hopefully helpful ideas to clear some of the ‘meh’.
    Meat generally photographs better in stacks or piles rather than in rows-sort-of-arrangement.
    You could also try to get a starker white light to come from a side and arrange the meat so that the most likely to reflect surfaces are getting the light to give the meat more glossiness. Glossy looks juicier, therefore better.
    Think of that picture of the perfect steak that you can see is just starting to release its juices and the freshly ground sea salt melting on the steak… It looks so juicy you think you could almost taste it if you licked the picture. That’s what you want. Obviously if you have extra sauce getting some (strategically) on the meat will be a good idea.
    Also, meat loses it’s best look really fast when cooling, so try to have a clear plan and EVERYthing else ready before the meat so you can just slap the piping hot meat on (the top/side/whatever) and start snapping pictures. You really don’t want the juices running onto your pristine white risotto while you chop the cilantro to sprinkle on top.

Hope you find at least some of this useful, have a great day!

October 28, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Hi Alli!

Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough comment! Much appreciated. Thankfully I’ve improved quite bit in my photography since I shot this recipe (I believe it was about a year ago?) but I definitely still struggle with meat! Your tips are super helpful and I will let you know how the next shoot goes! Hope you and your hubs enjoyed the recipe. The bf LOVES this one and requests it often. Sometimes I throw some potatoes in with it too. Again, thanks so much!

Alli
        October 29, 2014 at 12:38 pm

No problem, I believe in fair trade 🙂

Btw, it turned out just wonderful, and the smell while it was cooking…
        Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Amelia
    December 16, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Lol why pay Starbucks high prices when he can get it for free at your place :-P. Yeeeeeah I have a sister but we can be pretty much like you and your brother lol. At least underneath it all you guys really do love each other 🙂