drinks gluten-free raw vegan

Blackberry Mojitos {Sugar-Free)

June 20, 2014

Made with fresh blackberries and mint, these Blackberry Mojitos will quickly become your go-to summer drink all season long! They’re sweetened with just a touch of honey so you won’t find any refined-sugar in this delicious drink recipe!

In the past week I have made and shot 3 drink recipes. If this isn’t a clear indication of my current state of mind, then I don’t know what is. A VERY tall glass of any form of alcoholic beverage is beyond necessary and IMO well-deserved. The book is done and ready to be released on Sunday (have you pre-ordered yet?) and I am currently on my way to Minneapolis for some solid midwestern fun.

Made with fresh blackberries and mint, these Blackberry Mojitos will quickly become your go-to summer drink all season long! They're sweetened with just a touch of honey so you won't find any refined-sugar in this delicious drink recipe!I’m looking forward to giving C’s parents the biggest hug and tackling my bestie Lee and never letting go. While I am very much excited about having a few days off, these days the idea of a vacation gives me anxiety. With a 2 week long trip out West in July and a recently booked trip to Boston in August, you can imagine my anxiety level right now. I’ve been forced to turn to drink. I’m just kidding, we both know I love my alcohol anxious or not.

It probably makes no sense to you that a vacation might give me anxiety, but let me explain myself. I LOVE my job. I literally bounce out of bed each morning and am pretty much forced to stop working at 9:00 PM. Whether it be cooking recipes, photographing them, writing, demoing for Kewaza or interacting on Social Media, I can say whole-heartedly that I loooooove every minute of my days. The only downside to it is that I’m limited by time. If sleep were optional you better bet I’d skip it.

So going away and being disconnected from my work/phone/computer/kitchen makes me nervous. It’s not so much I’m worried you would forget about me, since I would never let you off that easy, but more so that I can’t think of a better way to spend my time. Sure I enjoy doing other things besides working, but it’s never too far from my thoughts. That’s just a reality.

Sugar-Free Blackberry Mojito // thehealthymaven.comNow do I recognize that this may be unhealthy and all the more reason to take a vacation? Yes. I know that for my own sake and for the sake of the blog I need to step away and allow everyone some space to breathe. I live in fear of burning out so despite my unwillingness to disconnect, I know I will.

So instead I will be cutting down while I’m away. I won’t disappear entirely because I would have a legit panic attack, but I am forcing myself to vacation because I know I have to. Wow, my life seems so hard doesn’t it?

Now before I go and enjoy a weekend full of drinks, lakes and fit foodie’s finds, I have to say two things. 1) Don’t let paper straws fool you, they may be pretty but you can’t actually drink from them DAMN. 2) Can we take a minute to admire the gorgeous butcher’s block these blackberry mojitos were shot on? My friend MADE it for me and I could not be more grateful. You know your friends get you when they gift you a butcher’s block. Thank you Galen!

Adios amigos! See ya on the flip side.

Blackberry Mojito {Sugar-Free}

Cook Time 5 mins
Serves 2     adjust servings

• 1/2 cup blackberries
  • 2 sprigs mint
  • 2 cups club soda
  • juice, 1 lime
  • 3-4 oz vodka
  • 2 tsp honey

1. Using a mortar and pestle, mash up blackberries and half of the mint. Alternatively use a straw and mash up very well so mint flavour soaks into the blackberries.
  2. In a large bowl or jug combine club soda, lime juice, and vodka.
  3. Divide blackberry-lime mix between two cups and add several ice cubes.
  4. Pour vodka mix on top, splitting the mixture between the two cups.
  5. Add 1 tsp of honey to each cup and divide the other half of the mint into each.

Sugar-Free Blackberry Mojito // thehealthymaven.comAre you able to relax on vacation? Any summer vacation plans?

June 20, 2014 at 5:26 am

2 weeks without DD sounds like Heaven on earth.

Bring a jar of vegemite and pretend I’m there with you and Lee. Or just Channing Tatum.

Boston in August? IS boston the new name for Toronto?
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy No Bake Salted Caramel Slice

Lauren
    June 20, 2014 at 5:53 am

I cannot lie, I LOVE a good mojito with some sexy rum and lots of mint. Mojito with vodka is new to me but I bet it is refreshing with the blackberry. Good work Davida. It will be so good for you to switch off and take a break from the online world even though you LOVE your job. You will be able to re charge and come back full of even more energy. It also means you can totally absorb all the wonderful times with the C man, family and friends! Go have lots of FUN!! I am going sailing in Croatia at the end of July – it cannot come quicker!!
    Lauren recently posted…Coconut Almond Butter Smoothie Bowl

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    June 20, 2014 at 6:15 am

Oh Goodness, this drink calls my name.. Actually, it screams!! Blackberry Mojito, you genius.
    I never spend a vacation without blogging at least a little. It’s the same for me – I love it so much, I really miss it when I’m away!! Though plugging off and focusing on life with people face to face is just wonderful – so Babe, ENJOY your weekend and all the vacations ahead!! Work will always be here, just as us.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Very Inspirational Blogger Award – 7 facts about me

Heather Murphy
    June 20, 2014 at 6:19 am

You are such a rockstar!! You are great at what you do and the fact that you love it so much shines through! You do need a vacation, though, and that is any we have loved ones- to force us to take a break! Have fun, lady!
    Heather Murphy recently posted…Seek First to Understand.

kathy @ vodka and soda
    June 20, 2014 at 6:28 am

this is the perfect recipe so thanks for sharing! except i don’t have a mortar/pestle so i’ll have to settle for fist-and spoon-mashing.

when i go on vacay, I GO ON VACAY. it’s refreshing to disconnect and be in the moment. have fun!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…friday favorites [6]

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    June 20, 2014 at 6:35 am

Have the best time – you totally need the vacation break! We all do, even when we love our job. I agree with that feeling of waking up happy and loving what you do. I love that I am able to say I have the same feeling!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Running Too Many Days and Graham Cracker Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    June 20, 2014 at 6:42 am

Yum!!!! Haha I just posted a margarita recipe so I think we’re both in the same state of mind 😉 I wish we could meet up for drinks!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Frozen Mango Skinny Margaritas

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    June 20, 2014 at 7:04 am

“mortar and pestle” OOOKAY MISS FANCY. We all aren’t as cool and have one of those sets so I guess I’m stuck with bowl and spoon 😉

Um I already told you this but these look like perfection in a glass. I love mojitos (fondly pronounced as mo-ji-toe, not mo-he-toe).

Have so much fun in Minnesota! xo safe travels
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Currently in June

Joanne
    June 20, 2014 at 7:15 am

Have all the fun chica!! I totally know how you feel and am terrible at vacationing myself, but try to enjoy it!! I’ll have a few of these mojitos and think of you! 😛
    Joanne recently posted…White Chocolate Buttered Popcorn Cookies

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    June 20, 2014 at 8:49 am

Typically I’m not a drinker, but this is definitely a drink I would go for! I looks delicious and sounds so refreshing for summer! Sometime to look forward to once the babies are born! 😉

Safe travels!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…My Summer Beauty Essentials

June 20, 2014 at 8:59 am

I’ve basically decided that mojitos and margaritas are my drinks this summer. And sangria. And Somersby. Ok, I have a lot…
    Safe travels and have a great trip lady!!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 20/06/14.

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    June 20, 2014 at 9:47 am

I soo need this in my life stat!!! Mojitos are my fav ever!!
    Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Popsugar Must Have Box

Anna
    June 20, 2014 at 10:15 am

I’m definitely making this over the weekend! I love finding healthier twists on alcohol 😉

I too suffer from anxiety on vacations but I let myself disconnect and then I always feel like I have sooo much to catch up on and so then I have even more anxiety. That said, it’s important to take a break and we should just stop freaking out over it.

Have an amazing weekend!
    Anna recently posted…Thinking Out Loud {6/19/14}

erin @ The Almond Eater
    June 20, 2014 at 11:00 am

Your photos. I’m staring at them with my mouth hanging open. AMAZING LADY. Have funnnnnn in the states and try to relax lolol you’re crazy.

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    June 20, 2014 at 11:05 am

Have a wonderful time on your travels! I love that your friend gave you a butcher’s block, and I would love one myself! Also, I’ve made the mistake of drinking out of paper straws after a food photo shoot. It was probably one step up from a sippy cup, but not by much. I know how you feel!
    Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits recently posted…Liebster Lovin’

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake
    June 20, 2014 at 11:20 am

If I drank alcohol, I would totally make this! Yum!
    Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted…Super Food Breakfast Bar

The Zen Kat
    June 20, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Yum! You NEED to make a cookbook of drinks with your added healthy touch! Loving it!

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}
    June 20, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Have an amazing break, it is so well deserved and just imagine how much you’re gonna love your job AFTER having had time away from it!!
    Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted…{Reflections} ‘Buenos Airesisms’

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    June 20, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Mojitos are one of my favorite summertime beverages and this looks so amazing!!

I’m going to Maui on Tuesday! I am so excited to relax on the beach!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Friday Favorites! Edition 10

June 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Well I’m going to Portland (and maybe Vancouver!) for the fourth of July so that’s in the books… and I think I’m going somewhere else too? But I need this mojito, stat. Can you come make me some (just bring Curt and come to Portland make make them).
    Cassie recently posted…Chocolate Coconut Gluten Free Waffles

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    June 20, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I love this drink even though I really don’t drink! But I will happily make mine a virgin since I love all the ingredients!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Gluten Free Chocolate Walnut ZuTwinkies

June 20, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Well now you’ve got me wanting a mojito before noon… hey, it’s Friday so I should just give in and get my weekend started early, yes? 😉

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    June 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Love, love, love mojitos and this version looks fab! Vacations are good for us. I hope your anxieties will disappear once you’re in it. 🙂
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Light Mini Blueberry Muffins

Em @ Love A Latte
    June 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Drink a few for me since I won’t be touching alcohol for a while haha!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy Thoughts

Brittany
    June 20, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I am legit jealous of that butchers block, freaking gorgeous. I am so jazzed to read about your adventures! HAVE A BLAST!
    Brittany recently posted…Pineapple Cashew Quinoa Salad

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    June 20, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Davs your killing me here! Haha! Have a drink for me ok!? And have a great time! 🙂
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Friday’s Food & Fitness: Grilling + Kickboxing

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    June 20, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I don’t think it’s a secret that I’m a frequent drinker. Wine, usually, but I love a good cocktail, too. These look so good and would go great with my patio-ing.
    Hope you enjoy your time off and try to unplug a little. I take full advantage of vacation time to pretend the internet doesn’t exist!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Thursday is the new Friday

Luv What You Do
    June 20, 2014 at 9:51 pm

This looks amazing! I love a fresh summer mojito!

June 20, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I’m super happy that you have been sharing drink recipes – you can never have too many good drinks to enjoy!!!
    I have one short get-away planned later this summer with my sis-in-law and our only plans are to get up (not at 5:00am), workout, layout and enjoy drinks from the pool bar. It will be a week of nothing but relaxation and I can’t wait!!! Enjoy your vacation(s)!!!!
    Kim recently posted…Scaling Back

Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com
    June 20, 2014 at 11:11 pm

These photos are stunning!! Seriosuly with my finals just ending and full time job training starting, this drink is exactly what I need in my life! 😉 And by the way Boston is my favorite city, you are going to have SO much fun!! Jealous beyond words!!!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome
    June 21, 2014 at 12:11 am

Yum! This is my type of drink! I majorly dislike super sweet, sugary drinks but this sounds perfect!
    Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted…Friday Favorites

Helen @ Scrummy Lane
    June 21, 2014 at 3:06 am

That IS a beautiful butcher’s block and looks just like the edge of a lovely wooden kitchen table – perfect for blogging! A family member who didn’t know I had started a blog gave me a lovely chopping board for my birthday a few months ago and I couldn’t have been more delighted with it – so I know the feeling!
    Beautiful drink – both the sound of the actual drink (blackberries – mmmm) and the photos.
    Have a wonderful vacation. I haven’t taken a longish vacation since I started my blog but I can imagine when I do struggling with how to deal with that. How long have you been blogging full time for? I would bounce out of bed if I was doing that, too!
    Helen @ Scrummy Lane recently posted…Sticky lemon curd & blueberry cake

Mary Frances
    June 21, 2014 at 10:54 am

Haha, we all know ebooks spike more than just stress levels 😉
    I feel you on the nervousness! More often than not, I felt like I could’ve been being doing something related to blogging, which is fine, but at the same time, I realized I have to “let it go” 😉 and enjoy the moments I’ve been given. I can’t wait to hear about this weekend, it sounds like it is going to be fantabulous!
    Mary Frances recently posted…{Red White and Blue} Rhubarb Blueberry Galette

June 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm

The -thought- of vacations gives me anxiety, but when I’m actually on them I love every minute. Have a blasty, blast lady!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. would you rather .

Amanda
    June 21, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I even take NAPS on vacation! Relax to da MAX!

Consuelo - Honey & Figs
    June 22, 2014 at 10:30 am

Yay for anything boozy. I’m so digging this!
    I hope you get to relax and have an amazing time! We’ll miss you and your posts though! :”( Anyway, taking some time off is very much needed not to end up burnt out, so go ahead and enjoy!! xx
    Consuelo – Honey & Figs recently posted…Coconut Lovers Pancakes

June 22, 2014 at 3:24 pm

These do look beautiful and plenty refreshing too. You would have been proud, I was a cocktail consuming machine this weekend. I’m pretty sure I shot gunned half a bottle of hard cider too. Hey, I didn’t want to leave it behind…alcohol abuse.

I love vacations because they force me to relax, although in all honesty I’ve gotten pretty good at doing this at home too. It took me years though and I’m not always successful but my new motto is work hard, play hard, relax hard.

Enjoy it; I’ll miss you. Now go chill.

25 Best Mojito Recipes You Need To Try | Its Jello!
    June 26, 2014 at 8:05 am

[…] Blackberry Mojito {Sugar-Free} via The Healthy […]

13 Recetas diferentes de mojito para un verano perfecto | Craft+Co.Craft+Co.
    July 4, 2014 at 1:01 am

[…] 6. Mojito de mora. La mora es uno de esos frutos silvestres que cautivan, por lo que todos aquellos que vivan en zonas donde crecen son unos grandes afortunados. Pero, además, posee algunas características como el ser un buen antioxidante que hacen de ella un alimento muy saludable. Así que, ¿por qué no añadirla a nuestra versión veraniega del mojito?. Mucho mejor sí, como en este caso, nuestro cóctel es sin azúcar. (Vía: The Healthy Maven) […]

My Recipe List - July!
    July 11, 2014 at 8:59 am

[…] Blackberry Mojito – The Healthy Maven […]

50 Terrific Mojito Recipes You Need To Try | List Inspired
    May 7, 2015 at 10:51 pm

[…] Sugar Free Blackberry Mojito: In the past week I have made and shot 3 drink recipes. If this isnt a clear indication of my […]