dinner gluten-free meat paleo

Coffee-Rubbed Strip Steak

July 27, 2014

I debated whether I should post this recipe for two reasons. 1) I’m not a huge fan of the pictures. Photographing steak is hard! 2) I’m not certain how you guys feel about red meat. Some people think red meat is unhealthy and some people preach ALL THE RED MEAT. Personally, I enjoy it but that hasn’t always been the case.

I didn’t touch red meat between the ages of 8 and 21. 13 years steak-free. In fact my incredibly-sharp memory remembers that last piece of red meat I ate before I gave it up, a Wendy’s burger. I ate it in the car driving from Montreal to Toronto. Then I got car sick and it totally killed all red meat for me.

Coffee Rubbed Strip Steak // thehealthymaven.comThen again, I was never a huge red meat lover to begin with so it wasn’t difficult to not eat it. In fact the only reason I started eating it again was because my sister told me that no boy would ever want to date a girl who ordered fish in a steak restaurant. Even though I may have started eating it again for all the wrong reasons, I’m happy I did because a good piece of steak is hard to compete with.

The problem is that now I have expensive taste. I will only eat the good stuff but my budget doesn’t allow for the good stuff all that often. It is definitely an indulgence in my house or I’m out to dinner with my parents and they are paying for it 😉

Coffee-Rubbed Strip Steak 2Because I can’t afford to buy good quality steak all that often, I tend to save it for special occasions or when we’re having guests. I realize that I end up spending more when I only buy red meat when guests are coming, but this dish in particular is one that impresses and well, I care about that stuff.

People have superbly high expectations of your cooking skills when you’re a food blogger. So it’s always good to go with this dish which seems difficult but is actually very easy. It’s also great for those of you who are intimidated by meat, just like myself. Or ya know…if you’re looking for a little extra caffeine boost!

Coffee-Rubbed Strip Steak

Serves 2     adjust servings

• 2 NY Strip Steaks (around .5lb each)
  • 1 T ground coffee
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper

1. Mix all rub ingredients together.
  2. Cut off fat from steaks, if desired.
  3. Using hands, rub steaks being sure to coat both sides.
  4. Cover and place in fridge for at least 1 hour.

For Medium steak:

1. Heat grill to high heat (can use a stove top grill pan or outdoor grill)
  2. Grill each side for 3 minutes.
  3. Cook less for more rare or longer for more well-done.

Coffee-Rubbed Strip Steak // thehealthymaven.comRed meat, yay or nay? Do you have a meal you save to impress guests?

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    July 27, 2014 at 5:31 am

While I don’t eat steak anymore since going vegetarian, I did used to love it. I always say that should I crave it, I will eat it, but I haven’t…I always loved sharing steak for two at the steakhouses and especially loved skirt steak. I still make skirt steak when I have company over as it is one of my favorite meals to cook because I do it quite well lol.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Ben & Jerry’s and Putting Life In Perspective

July 27, 2014 at 5:34 am

I can’t believe you kept this secret from me after todays skype sesh. Then again, the carpet fumes made me forget much of it…except my face placement.

Red meat- Is that like, chicken with the feathers on?
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #35- Flashback Posts #4

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}
    July 27, 2014 at 7:55 am

Red meat = big yay! Although I totally agree with you on quality over quantity, life’s too short to eat cheap meat. Am so intrigued by this recipe, going to have to give it a try soon for sure 🙂
    Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted…Exploring Northern Argentina – Days 3 & 4 – Humahuaca, Jujuy

Cat
    July 27, 2014 at 8:59 am

Oh whaaaat how have I never thought of this! My favourite meat and favourite drink combined! I have rubbed a pork belly with coffee before, with great success… but steak? Doing doing doing.
    Cat recently posted…What Was Good This Week: Scones and Sunshine

July 27, 2014 at 9:27 am

I do like red meat – but I did about 5 years without red meat or pork. I’m glad I introduced them again, because steak and bacon. I don’t cook steak too often though, because it is pricey. I’m intrigued by the idea of rubbing it with coffee! I don’t drink coffee but I like coffee flavoured things so maybe this would be right up my alley.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 07/25/14.

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    July 27, 2014 at 9:41 am

I used to love a fillet back in my carnivorous days. Now I’m totally THAT girl that orders fish in a steak restaurant. Sueeeee meeeeeee! PS if I ever went back to eating meat, I’d totally rub coffee all over that bad boy.

Consuelo - Honey & Figs
    July 27, 2014 at 9:49 am

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten red meat to be honest hahaha 😉 But this dish looks certainly impressive! And I love how easy to make it is!
    When I have people round and I want to impress them, I simply bake something with toasted vanilla beans or brown butter and their minds are blown hehe 😉
    Consuelo – Honey & Figs recently posted…Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes

Joanne
    July 27, 2014 at 9:59 am

Haha well thankfully the.boy has never taken me to a steak restaurant (for obvious reasons) otherwise I might have to stave him off by ordering fish…or even worse – a baked potato as a main meal! 😛
    Joanne recently posted…Peanut Butter and Jelly Linzer Torte

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut
    July 27, 2014 at 10:06 am

I definitely eat red meat, but at my house it was usually in the ground form. In Hamburger Helper or for a treat, a juicy burger. I’ve actually never made steak myself!

I tend to like trying new recipes with guests which I know is a no-no but I figure, hey, I have some taste-testers in the house! Or I go on kicks where I find a favorite recipe and make it for EVERYONE haha.

Now I need coffee like for real.
    Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted…Laugh at Yourself: 21 Bacon Confessions [+ 1 Winner]

Mary Frances
    July 27, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Too true – I’m a meat snob sometimes and my wallet kind of hates my tastebuds A LOT. I actually didn’t like steak for about a year or two and then I saw the light and really enjoy it whenever we have it. This coffee rubbed version sounds fantastic! You are overcoming your fear of cooking meat faster than make me laugh … that’s impressive. Great post Davida!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Caramel Toffee Chocolate Blondies

July 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm

YUM!!! I love red meat (we actually buy half a cow every year!!!).
    So, I’ve always wondered, if you use coffee in a recipe like this does it taste like coffee? I’m not a huge coffee fan but this sounds really good and I want to try it just to see!!!
    Kim recently posted…My Weak Spot (7/20-7/26)

July 27, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Nice Meat! 😉

July 28, 2014 at 7:48 am

I went through a 1-2 year stint where I avoided red meat too, but then I realized I was being dumb because I actually like red meat. There’s nothing like a nice rare steak, or even better, venison! I don’t really ever cook it for myself though because when I first tried cooking it for myself several years ago I kept on accidentally overcooking it past the rare/medium rare stage – so it was basically wasted money. 😛 I should really give cooking it another try though!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…10 tips for shopping at farmers markets

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    July 29, 2014 at 5:41 am

Red meat all the way! Nothing better than a nice rare steak! But I am with you, has to be the good stuff!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…Vlog Blog!

July 29, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I randomly will crave red meat, typically in like taco salads or fajitas or something. I had steak in a greasy fajita salad on the coast on Sunday because yes, Jake and I opted to get tex mex (we were talking about it in the car) on the Oregon coast.
    Cassie recently posted…Greek Cucumber Salmon Salad

Elle @ keep it simpElle
    August 7, 2014 at 3:58 pm

OMG I just made this for dinner as I am doing Whole30, I did forget to put it in the fridge after rubbing it, but it tasted amazing! Thanks for sharing!
    Elle @ keep it simpElle recently posted…Guest Post: Summer Green Salad

Thai Curry Mussels - The Healthy Maven
    February 3, 2015 at 5:01 am

[…] I’ve had you over to my house for dinner, I’ve likely served you one of two things: my coffee-rubbed strip steak or mussels. Besides loving both of these foods, I also love a good fake-out meal. Aka a meal that […]