brownies dessert gluten-free

Peppermint Black Bean Brownies

November 18, 2014

No one needs to know there’s black beans hidden in these delicious Peppermint Black Bean Brownies. They’re also grain-free, sweetened with maple syrup and lightened-up with applesauce with the refreshing taste of peppermint to top them off!

I mentioned in my Best of October post that I’ve recently become a pseudo-hippie. This actually isn’t a totally new thing but lately I’ve found myself evolving from an au-natural hair mask sporting hippie to an OMG must use apple cider vinegar on everything hippie. ACV obsessives unite!

Peppermint Black Bean Brownies - No one needs to know there's black beans hidden in these delicious brownies. They're also grain-free, sweetened with maple syrup and lightened-up with applesauce. Since I don’t need my entire body and apartment to smell like vinegar I’ve been making friends with my latest discovery, essential oils. I’ve always resisted buying them because I thought they were to pricey (lame excuse) but it seems that now I am making up for my years of restraint. In particular, the peppermint essential oil is EVERYWHERE.

In my shampoo, in my all-purpose cleaner, in my moisturizer, when I say that I’ve been using it everywhere I am not kidding. If you find yourself getting a whiff of peppermint on the streets of downtown Toronto, that’s me. I’m okay with it.

Peppermint Black Bean Brownies - No one needs to know there's black beans hidden in these delicious brownies. They're also grain-free, sweetened with maple syrup and lightened-up with applesauce. Needless-to-say, I kind of love the smell of peppermint. It’s refreshing, it’s light and it masks the smell of vinegar. What more could you ask for? Maybe a way to eat it? Oh wait…

Each time I publish a brownie recipe on THM I declare that they are THE BEST BROWNIES EVER. But this time it’s for real. These Peppermint Black Bean Brownies are next level. Not too cakey, not too fudgy and they go perfectly with what has become my life scent, peppermint.

Peppermint Black Bean Brownies - No one needs to know there's black beans hidden in these delicious brownies. They're also grain-free, sweetened with maple syrup and lightened-up with applesauce. And no, you absolutely cannot taste the black beans. The ultimate taste-taster aka my 4 year old nephew couldn’t taste them so that means you really can’t.

These Peppermint Black Bean Brownies are the official snack of oil pulling and mud masks. Actually, don’t attempt to eat these while oil pulling. That sounds messy…

Peppermint Black Bean Brownies

• 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup almond meal*
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips**
  • Optional: 1/4 cup crushed candy cane for a seasonal topping

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a blender or food processor, combine black beans and almond milk until smooth.
  3. Once smooth add in maple syrup, eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract and process for 30 seconds until well combined.
  4. In a separate bowl combine cocoa powder, almond meal, baking powder, and sea salt.
  5. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into food processor until well combined.
  6. Add in chocolate chips by hand.
  7. Grease an 8 x 8 (or 9 x 9) inch baking pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
  8. Add batter to pan and smooth out top.
  9. Bake for 30 minutes.
  10. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting and removing from pan.
  11. Top with crushed candy cane if desired.
  12. Store in refrigerator for several days.

Notes

Feel free to sub in any flour if you don't want them grain-free. *I use enjoy-life brand but feel free to sub in any kind or mint chocolate chips if you prefer!

No one needs to know there's black beans hidden in these delicious Peppermint Black Bean Brownies. They're also grain-free, sweetened with maple syrup and lightened-up with applesauce with the refreshing taste of peppermint to top them off!Would you consider yourself a hippie? Do you love the smell (and taste!) of peppermint as much as I do?

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    November 18, 2014 at 7:14 am

Mmmm I love peppermint. I’m obsessed with my peppermint mocha creamer right now. I made black bean brownies a few years ago and it was a colossal failure, but maybe I just did it wrong. I’m guessing the peppermint does a good job of masking the beans.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Healthy Office Snacks

November 18, 2014 at 7:54 pm

PROMISE you can’t taste the beans! These are fool-proof. I’ve tried some nasty black bean brownies and these are not anything like those!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    November 18, 2014 at 7:25 am

I am totally going to make these and see if Scott notices they are made with black beans 😉 These look SO good and remind me that Christmas is coming!!
    Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Final Recap: Our Wedding Video!

November 18, 2014 at 7:55 pm

The ultimate form of trickery 😉 I’m SO on board!

Lesley @ the Breakfast Runner
    November 18, 2014 at 8:25 am

Yum! I’ll be making these for sure. The perfect holiday treat!
    Lesley @ the Breakfast Runner recently posted…Funfetti Protein Pancakes

November 18, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Absolutely perfect for the holidays! Clearly I’ve already started celebrating 😉

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    November 18, 2014 at 8:25 am

You’ve outdone yourself!!! I’m obsessed with peppermint errthang, so I guess now I must move on from your peppermint protein bars on to these beauties. I’m sure Zach won’t mind one bit. PS teach me your ACV ways!!

November 18, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Zach is gonna think I can only make peppermint flavored goodies…Oh wait. kind of true.

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    November 18, 2014 at 8:50 am

These look delicious. I have never tried Black Bean Brownies but I have seen them a lot online.
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…Reader’s Request: A Plateau

November 18, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Yes! There’s tons of versions out there but besides the fact that I am totally biased, I think these are the best 🙂

Sarah Pie
    November 18, 2014 at 9:14 am

Well these are pretty! I’m more of an eucalyptus oil girl myself but I totally feel your new obsession.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Start your week off right- 5 tips to make Monday more organized

November 18, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Eucalyptus is on my list! How do you like to use it? Tell me everything my fellow hippie 🙂

Sarah Pie
        November 19, 2014 at 8:59 pm

It’s amazing for stress relief. I have a face mask thing (basically a cotton bag of rice) that I heat up and put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on when I have a tension headache, laying there just breathing it it make me feel very zen.

I also like adding a few drops to the floor of the shower when I’m feeling congested, or even rubbing a drop on the bottom of my feet to sleep instead of using vapor rub on my chest.
        Sarah Pie recently posted…Budget Bites- November 2014

November 20, 2014 at 9:28 am

LOVE!!! Thank you SO much. I’m adding it to my shopping list 🙂

Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli
    November 18, 2014 at 9:25 am

I’m so excited to try these!!!
    Jen @ Bagels to Broccoli recently posted…5 Steps to a Healthy Thanksgiving

Em @ Love A Latte
    November 18, 2014 at 9:55 am

I’m a pseudo-hippie as well 😉 And omg I can’t wait to make these!!!!! I wish I had cocoa powder in my cupboard. One ingredient I’m missing! Do I dare brave the 20 degree weather to make these? Yes, probably. How do you think flax eggs would do?
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Quick Life Update

November 18, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Glad I’ve got good company in the club 😉 Not sure about flax eggs as I haven’t tried it but I would guess that yes they would work but might be fudgier (which is my experience with vegan brownies) and that ain’t a bad problem to have!

Irina
    November 18, 2014 at 10:20 am

I think these may be the best black bean brownies I’ve come across! Definitely planning on whipping up a batch of these soon, thanks for sharing!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    November 18, 2014 at 10:50 am

Psuedo hippie b1tch3$ whaddddup. Oil pulling, acv in the morning, etc etc that’s my shit. You know though… if you are calling yourself a psuedo hippie, you’re identifying with GOOP on some level 😉 Let me know how you feel about that.
    Seriously can’t wait to make these. I need them now.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Nutty For… [9.26]

November 18, 2014 at 8:25 pm

ugh I can’t talk about this right now. Let me go cry into my vegannaise…

November 18, 2014 at 11:10 am

peppermint will always be my favourite flavour associated with the holidays…especially if chocolate is involved. And I’ve never made black bean brownies!
    And considering that I take greens powder and ACV daily, try to buy organic when I can, drink kombucha on the regular, use ‘green’ cleaning products….ya, I’m a hippie. I’m cool with that.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…I Mustache You Some Questions.

November 18, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Totally agree! It goes peppermint then gingerbread then pumpkin spice in my world 🙂

November 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I think I like J Crew and Kate Spade too much to be considered a hippie haha. Although my kale salad and kombucha drinking ways might say otherwise. I guess I’m hard to label! 😛

I still haven’t tried black bean brownies yet but I think this will be the recipe I will finally try!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…The Combine

November 18, 2014 at 8:24 pm

hahahahaha best line ever. I’m wearing a j.crew shirt right now so I consider you a part of the club 😉

Kay @ Kay Bueno
    November 18, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I’m the worst half-baked hippie. I care about the environment, but still use regular deodorant. I’ve done no-poo regimens and switched back to shampoo because I couldn’t hack it. But these brownies, these I could go hippie for.

I’ll have to make them soon because I’ve been kind of craving black bean brownies, and have been solely drinking peppermint tea, so perfect match.
    Kay @ Kay Bueno recently posted…All the fours survey

November 18, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Half-baked hippie! Why have I never heard this before?! That completely describes me. I’m so not at the point where I can give up deoderant and truth-be-told the no-poo method works best for me because I hate washing my hair and it’s a big enough afro that no one needs to know…it’s full of secrets 😉

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    November 18, 2014 at 6:45 pm

these look dense and dark, mmm. love peppermint and chocolate.

November 18, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I should make these and see if the boys have any clue about the ingredients – I’m pretty sure that they would never guess!!
    Kim recently posted…Can You Tell a Joke?

Rachel
    November 18, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Davida! I was just looking for a recipe for these and this popped up on my newsfeed! They look amazing and I can’t wait to give it a try over the weekend 🙂

November 20, 2014 at 10:10 am

Rachel!!!!! I’m so happy you stopped by! These are amazing. If I were still at SK (thank god I’m not haha) I would bring you in a double-batch! xoxox

November 19, 2014 at 1:06 am

I could totally smell you in T Town…you had a hippie scent!

I’m totally copycat-ing you next week with a brownie recipe but it ain’t peppermint and it has kangaroo in it. Not really. This looks amazing buddy. Miss you.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Blogging Politics- The experiment

November 20, 2014 at 10:10 am

MISS YOU! And I smell like roses and lavender so shush.

November 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

I totally had a bottle of peppermint spill in a bag of baking supplies I shipped out here. Now I have accidental peppermint carob chips. I’m not complaining… until I wanted to make these!!
    Cassie recently posted…Naked Kitchen SF – Vegan Pumpkin Dinner

Links I Like #5: 11.21.14 - Bagels to Broccoli
    November 21, 2014 at 6:03 am

[…] Peppermint Black Bean Brownies via The Healthy Maven […]

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    November 21, 2014 at 2:27 pm

MHMM. YES.
    Peppermint is one of my favorite flavors/scents, and it’s one of the pairings with chocolate that I really enjoy. I’m now craving these brownies and peppermint Pinkberry. Thank you. 😉
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Favorite Recent Eats

November 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I bought a mint chocolate candy bar today at the grocery store. I should have bought a can of black beans instead. Drat.

Do I consider myself a hippie? Of course I do. I’m a city hippie with an urban garden to boot. We also go by the term hipsters now, which is soooo cliché.

athletic avocado
    November 24, 2014 at 8:15 pm

love these! yum!
    athletic avocado recently posted…Arctic Zero Ice Cream Product Review

Hello, December. | Perfectly Nutritious
    December 1, 2014 at 2:37 pm

[…] Peppermint Black Bean Brownies via The Healthy Maven […]

Samantha
    December 8, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Hi there,

My son is allergic to nuts and tree nuts. Could I use soy or coconut milk instead? Also, are you related to Sara Kugelmass?
    Thanks!

December 8, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Hi Samantha! YEs soy or coconut would work great! And yes, I am 🙂 I believe she’s my second cousin!

60 Christmas Treats for Neighbor Plates - Cupcake Diaries
    December 15, 2014 at 3:36 am

[…] Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars from Cupcake Diaries Peppermint Black Bean Brownies from The Healthy Maven Sugar Mint Brownies from Julie’s Eats & Treats Mint Brownies from Dessert Now, Dinner […]

60 Treats for Christmas Neighbor Plates - Cupcake Diaries