breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola

Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola

April 5, 2015

Yes! You can totally make granola with steel-cut oats! This Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola is packed full of flavor and healthy nuts and will make you forget all about rolled oats in your granola!

Yes! You can totally make granola with steel-cut oats! This Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola will make you forget all about rolled oats and will quickly become a breakfast staple. Growing up we only ever ate steel-cut oats. It wasn’t until I got really into healthy living blogs that I discovered that most people didn’t eat steel-cut oats. I honestly believed that rolled oats were called “quaker oats” since I only ever saw them come from those horrible quaker oat packets.

Feel free to judge.

But suddenly I found myself buying enormous bags of Trader Joe’s Rolled Oats, making overnight oatmeal and completely neglecting my beloved steel-cut oats. Truth is, once you discover the convenience of rolled oats (aka ready in under 10 mins!) it’s difficult to justify spending 30 minutes cooking steel-cut.

Yes! You can totally make granola with steel-cut oats! This Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola is packed full of flavor and healthy nuts and will make you forget all about rolled oats in your granola!But I really do miss the crunchiness of steel-cut oats. Though to be fair, I think that I mostly miss how my mom used to make it with milk and brown sugar…so good.

Speaking of moms, have I mentioned that mine is wonderful? Mom, I can already feel you typing your response to this…

Allow me to explain.

Not only is she responsible for introducing me to steel-cut oats, but also for that delicious manuka honey you see in the background of those photos. She brought it back for me after her recent trip to New Zealand (where manuka-pollinating bees live) and I’ve basically been rationing it out every single day since.

Yes! You can totally make granola with steel-cut oats! This Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola is packed full of flavor and healthy nuts and will make you forget all about rolled oats in your granola!This stuff is like gold. If you’ve never tried manuka honey, start saving your pennies and then invest in a little jar of this magic. The best way for me to describe it is like “the most honey-filled honey you have ever tasted”. Does this make sense?

Confession: I totally didn’t use the manuka honey in this Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola. It is far too precious for that. But I DID top the granola with a bit of manuka honey for an added sweet and antioxidant-filled boost!

Apparently manuka honey has all sorts of health-benefits and its encouraged you have a spoonful a day. An excuse to eat a spoonful of honey everyday? Thanks Mom!

Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl combine steel-cut oats, nuts, cinnamon and sea salt.
  3. In a separate bowl combine coconut oil, applesauce, honey and vanilla.
  4. Stir wet ingredients into dry and mix until combined.
  5. Spread granola over a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet.
  6. Bake for 20 mins.
  7. Remove from oven and flip and the bake for another 20 mins.
  8. Remove from oven once again, flip and then bake for another 15 mins.
  9. Remove from oven and flatten granola with the back of a spatula.
  10. LET SIT FOR ONE HOUR. Do not try to move granola off tray.
  11. After an hour, you can take the granola and break it up into clusters.
  12. Combine with raisins.
  13. Keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks (if it ever lasts that long...)

Yes! You can totally make granola with steel-cut oats! This Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola is packed full of flavor and healthy nuts and will make you forget all about rolled oats in your granola!Have you ever tried manuka honey? What foods did your Mom introduce you to?

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    April 5, 2015 at 8:50 am

Ohhhh that looks so crunchy and delicious! I could totally go for a bowl of this in the morning 🙂

April 5, 2015 at 8:12 pm

I should warn you, one bowl suddenly becomes two…every single day this week gah!!!

April 5, 2015 at 10:32 am

This looks so delicious!!

Les | Balanced Berry
    April 5, 2015 at 11:14 am

YUM! I’m sure this has the most amazing texture from the steel cut oats. And, I’ve been OBSESSED with Manuka honey. I was able to get my hands on some local Manuka honey and love it. It’s gold!
    Les | Balanced Berry recently posted…Getting Real

April 5, 2015 at 8:04 pm

It is SO good. I have some on my face right now. All I want to do is just lick it off haha

She Rocks Fitness
    April 5, 2015 at 11:16 am

I have never heard of that honey, but it sounds marvelous! 🙂 I am the exact opposite. I wasn’t introduced to steel cut oats until literally this year. LOL! I am going to make your paleo lemon poppy seed muffins today though! 🙂
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…My Week In Review…

April 5, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Hope you enjoy them, lovely! Wish I could give you a huge jar of Manuka honey!

Miss Polkadot
    April 5, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Oddly enough, I only ever heard of steel-cut oats used for breakfast when starting to read blogs. It wasn’t until about a year ago that I realized they’re used in one of the most popular savoury dishes in my area and a super cheap stable. Either way, your idea of using them in this recipe here is amazing. I bet it makes for the crunchiest of crunchy granolas.
    …. and don’t lure me into buying Manuka honey. I’ve been tip-toeing around those jars at health food stores forever – always gasping at the price. But if it’s that good …
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Good good links #85

Mary Frances
    April 5, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I didn’t use steel cut oats until after years of Quaker oats and let’s just say, the five minutes I was used to didn’t cut it for the steel cut oats! That was the crunchiest oatmeal I’ve ever had. It was kind of scarring 😉 I have to give this granola a go, it looks SO good and I love the honey nut combo! I have a feeling this blows store bought honey nut cereals out of the water. Actually, I know that for sure. Pinned!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Pineapple and Grapefruit Lemonade

April 6, 2015 at 6:04 am

Pictures look bomb D!

Manuka honey is our standard here so wouldnt know what to compare it to!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Eating like a stereotypical Healthy Living Blogger for a day

lynsey | lynseylovesfood
    April 6, 2015 at 8:04 am

those clusters!! OMG. This looks amazing. And how lucky are you?! that manuka honey is a precious little gift! enjoy every drop. xo

April 6, 2015 at 12:17 pm

I grew up on the Quakers packaged instant oatmeal (gross, I know. My parents wouldn’t buy me Froot Loops as a kid, but they would buy me that. They don’t make sense lol) so I didn’t even know steel cut oatmeal existed until I started reading blogs! I actually just bought some for the first time a few months ago. I haven’t tried making granola with it yet though. This looks fabulous!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Black Bean and Mango Quinoa Salad

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    April 6, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Super interested to hear about the texture of this granola! I love extra crunchy, and the long bake time I’m sure is how they get softer..?? Yum!!!! Love that you’re rationing honey.. I do that with almond butter 🙂
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…Miso Cucumber and Carrot Salad

Diana
    April 7, 2015 at 6:28 am

So…you do not cook the oats before you make the granola?

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    April 7, 2015 at 8:04 am

I adore Manuka Honey! It tastes like no other honey, so rich! I have half a tsp with hot water and lemon to start my morning every day and love it! My immunity has definitely increased since taking it!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…Get to know me better!

Selena @ thenutritiouskitchen.com
    April 7, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Girlll I am all about steel cut oats these days! Honestly nothing else every sounds better in the morning. I feel like once you go steel cut ya never go back…lol
    Never thought of using it in granola…pinning and trying soon!!

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    April 9, 2015 at 10:20 am

My mom introduced me to allllll kinds of food. Basically everything and all of my ridiculous indulgent tastes – foie gras, escargot, etc etc. She had a rule that I had to have a bite of everything at least to try. I am still so thankful she did that!
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…Field Trip: Hiking Mount Tamalpais State Park

Now Trending - Best Links Week of 4.6 - Almost Getting it TogetherAlmost Getting it Together
    April 10, 2015 at 6:03 am

[…] credit (clockwise): 1 / 2 / 3 / […]

Food Thought: Granola (ditch the store-bought bag baby) | emilymade
    May 14, 2015 at 12:48 pm

[…] here”. If you’re like, “just give me the facts man”, then I mostly followed this. Interested in more? … read […]

Amazing Granola Recipes Roundup! – Clean and Healthy Eating Recipes by Two College Athletes
    June 14, 2015 at 7:58 pm

[…] Honey Nut Steel-Cut Granola from The Healthy Maven […]

Lindsay
    November 13, 2015 at 8:34 am

Thank you! I was looking for a granola recipe for the organic oats we grew and course ground. I’ll try this today! Have you ever thought of adding sesame seeds? It gives a nice crunch.

Kathryn
    February 27, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Hi! This looks and tastes amazing, but I followed the recipe exactly and it is very loose. It didn’t clump together at all. Thoughts?

Tam
      April 17, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I had the same problem, Kathryn. Even after all the baking time, mine still tasted a little raw. I put it back into the oven (which is off) to cool. Maybe that will help the taste. It’s not sweet at all, which is a good thing for me, but maybe it could’ve used a bit more honey to help it clump.

Fafa
    March 29, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I’m making it right now!!
    I couldn’t see when to mix the vanilla, but I figured it’s with the wet ingredients. 🙂
    I added chia seeds and I am also adding some dark chocolate morsels after its done.
    I can’t wait to taste!

March 30, 2016 at 9:01 am

Ah yes! Fixed it in the instructions. You got it right 😉 Sorry about that!

happyLincoln
    May 6, 2016 at 6:53 pm

eating this granola is not unlike eating kitty litter. honey nut flavored kitty litter. beware if you have sensitive teeth.

Fafa
    June 19, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Have anyone done this with rolled oats? If so, should the baking time be less?
    I’ve tried with steel cut and it was too crunchy for me.
    Thanks!

June 20, 2016 at 8:58 am

You can certainly replace with rolled oats but baking time will be less and you may need to decrease the amount of liquid as rolled oats absorb less than steel-cut. Enjoy!

Fafa
        June 22, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Aw.. I made it before I saw your reply. I did bake a few minutes less but put the same amount of liquid with rolled oats and it tastes amazing!!! I put dark chocolate morsels on top too!! Yummy!! Thank you!!

Sarah Auzina
    September 13, 2016 at 11:38 am

I adapted this to what I had on hand- gotta love the versatility of granola. Delicious! Thanks! 🙂

Barry Fleischmann
    September 24, 2016 at 2:25 am

the recipe does not state the type of steel cut oats I use the quick cook ones
    I would think the regular would take forever to cook

Michelle
    October 30, 2016 at 1:26 pm

When you say flip do you mean mix or turn the cookie sheet around? I’m going to mix steel cut oats and regular oats
    Can’t wait to try.

Michelle
    October 30, 2016 at 1:29 pm

When you say flip do you mean rotate cookie sheet or mix granola. Going to try steel cut oats and whole oats. Excited to try.

Karen M.
    October 30, 2016 at 5:04 pm

The week after I made this granola, I ate it with Greek yogurt every single morning. It was super delicious and made my house smell AMAZING while it baked. I’m making it again right now! I’m out of raisins, so I’m using Craisins instead and I’m sure it will be just as great! Thanks so much for the awesome recipe!

Kat
    November 6, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Made this twice this week – AMAZING!!! Love it!! Reminds me of ‘Kind Bars’. How exactly do you go about ‘flipping’ it – each time I tried to flip it, several pieces slid out onto the counter. I’d really appreciate some tips!!
    Kat recently posted…A Foodies Guide to Banff National Park

Jo jo
    December 11, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Did you know there is more than one kind of manuka honey? There is another for wound healing, not the kind you ingest. Going to gather my ingredients now to make the granola and going to use manuka honey mixed with regular. This recipe looks great.

Monica
    March 5, 2017 at 12:44 pm

I’m trying to use ingredients that I on hand…is there a substitute for the applesauce? Thanks so much!

Holly
    April 30, 2017 at 1:19 pm

I’ve got this in the oven right now…How exactly do you ‘flip’ it? Stir or rotate the cookie sheet or literally flip the entire mixture over onto the paper?!

Demi Holmes
    May 29, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Thank for your recipe, you give me a clear solution and i will try if it works.

JNene
    June 20, 2017 at 10:49 am

Made this with Quaker Steel Cut Oats, pecans, & accidentally doubled the applesauce. Delicious! The husband actually prefers it alone, I prefer with vanilla yogurt. I used up the oats he tried once & didn’t like, plus some local gallberry honey that has a bitter taste. We do have sensitive teeth and disagree with the “kitty litter” comment. Maybe the extra applesauce helped. Only other thing I did differently was I let it sit about 2 hours in pan with another pan inverted on top of it while I went to an appointment.

Christina
    July 26, 2017 at 2:27 pm

I always make granola with rolled oats but we have a ton of steel-cut that need to be used before we moved. Thus, I found this recipe. We like it; thank you! I think I will prefer the texture with rolled oats, but this is a good way to use the steel-cut. Per the comment re: “kitty litter,” I would say no. It reminds me of the texture of that cereal Grape Nuts (do they still make that?). Definitely crunchier than with rolled oats but not too hard.

Andrea
    August 17, 2017 at 8:32 am

I made this granola and it is amazing!!! It makes many servings for my husband and I to enjoy it throughout the week/on to the next week! We love it as a topping of Greek yogurt or simply with some almond milk. Top it with a banana and some blackberry sauce (just mashed up blackberries in a saucepan) and it is the bomb! Thanks for the recipe. I didn’t have vanilla and it tasted delicious even without it! I also used dates instead of raisins and only 1/4 cup of honey (since that’s all I had). So good and stuck together well! Will be making this again and again!

Fauna Hurley
    September 9, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Is this supposed to be super crumbly? I followed your directions to a T but it is completely crumbly… I also let it cool a bit longer than an hour just to be safe, but it’s not at all granola-esque… But at least the flavor is great!