balls/bites gluten-free paleo snacks vegan

Pecan Pie Energy Balls + Introducing Energy Ball Week!

October 5, 2015

Want the delicious taste of Pecan Pie without having to turn on your oven? Try these healthy 3-ingredient plus spices Pecan Pie Energy Balls that are ready in minutes and perfect for healthy snacking on the run.

Want the delicious taste of Pecan Pie without having to turn on your oven? Try these healthy 3-ingredient Pecan Pie Energy Balls that are ready in minutes and perfect for healthy snacking on the run.

For a while now Lee and I have been wanting to collaborate on a project between The Healthy Maven and Fit Foodie Finds. This certainly isn’t our first time collaborating (let’s not discuss the last time we posted on SHEuncovered and The Blogger Project..whoops) and our monthly round-ups along with our favorite blogging ladies are always a good time but never have we had some one-on-one FFF-THM fun.

We’ve been brainstorming a lot over the past few weeks and then finally it hit us over our daily skype convo (while eating balls I might add) that bombarding you guys with an explosive amount of balls was clearly what we were born to partner on.

The rest is history…

It’s no secret that Lee and I love balls. I can remember when I was a closet FFF reader and Lee would blog about her escapades with her friend Carly making balls. Or that time she held a ball making session at her old job? In addition to being a ball aficionado, I am a certifiable stalker.

As for me, well I love balls so much that I took a job working for an energy ball company. I’m happy to report that Kewaza is still going strong…even in my absence LOL.

So setting out to create 12 ball recipes in one week is basically like a walk in the park for us.

Want the delicious taste of Pecan Pie without having to turn on your oven? Try these healthy 3-ingredient Pecan Pie Energy Balls that are ready in minutes and perfect for healthy snacking on the runI am beyond excited to share all of Energy Ball Week’s recipes with you as well as promote Lee’s insane-looking recipes too. It kind of kills me to only be able to post one recipe a day but I have enough balls to help me deal with the emotional eating that will likely ensue.

When trying to decide which recipe to kick off the week with I turned to Lee. Her Cherry Pie Energy Balls were on the docket so I figured I would pair them with my very own pie ball recipe.

These Pecan Pie Energy Balls are ridiculously easy, delicious and really do give you that boost of energy that you’re looking for when you reach for your balls (omg this post has made me LOL at least 6 times…). I know this for a fact since I brought these babies to Yosemite and they literally saved my life along our 15 mile hike!

The key to this recipe is to toast the pecans. While you can certainly keep them raw, the toasting is what truly makes them taste like pecan pie. Minus all the other crap that typically comes with it.

I hope you’ll stick around as Lee and I bring you 12 Healthy Energy Ball Recipes this week! It’s like Christmas but for balls. K I’m done.

Pecan Pie Energy Balls

PREP TIME 10 mins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 6-8 minutes, watching to ensure they don't burn.
  3. Add dates to a food processor and process until broken up into bits.
  4. Add in pecans and spices and process until well combined (about 3 minutes).
  5. Mixture is done when dough easily sticks together.
  6. Roll into 16 balls.
  7. Place in freezer for 15 minutes before storing in refrigerator.

Notes

*Make sure your dates are sticky. If not, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes to soften and then drain.

Want the delicious taste of Pecan Pie without having to turn on your oven? Try these healthy 3-ingredient Pecan Pie Energy Balls that are ready in minutes and perfect for healthy snacking on the runBe sure to check out Fit Foodie Finds for her first recipe of #EnergyBallWeek! Lee whipped up Cherry Pie Energy Balls that require just 5 whole ingredients and taste just like cherry pie.

cherry-pie-energy-balls-textCan you guess what flavors to expect this week? What’s your favorite energy ball flavor?

Christina
    October 5, 2015 at 8:12 am

Was just thinking about how I want to make some energy balls today, perfect timing!!
    Christina recently posted…Glazed Protein Pumpkin Donuts

Kristina
    October 5, 2015 at 8:25 am

Energy balls are dangerous in my vicinity. I tend to always eat too much of them. They are healthy, all right, but often pack a lot of calories (the good ones, but still). And these pecan pie balls, oh my, delicious.
    Kristina recently posted…A merveilleux for my merveilleux

October 5, 2015 at 10:12 am

yup! I know what you mean. I find that I’m able to stop at just one cause they really do fill me up but I hear ya that sometimes it can be tough!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    October 5, 2015 at 8:47 am

YES PLEASSEEEEE. So excited about BALLS!!! These look awesome. I just got some pecans too!
    (I’m pretty much a stalker too. NO SHAME) 😉
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Zucchini Pumpkin Chai Muffins [with protein]

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    October 5, 2015 at 10:43 am

I LOVE energy balls and bars, so I’m very happy that you chose to feature them with Lee! This one sounds delicious, and perfect for fall snacking! 😉 (Lol, and I stalk Lee’s and your blog so yeah, I know what you are talking about *wink* )
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Peach Jam with Vanilla Rum and Thyme

Beverley Cheng
    October 5, 2015 at 11:55 am

Davida i LOVE your new website! Everytime I come here I think it looks better and better – and it already started pretty amazing. Can’t wait to see whats next for you 🙂
    Beverley Cheng recently posted…Dorm Room Workout (Only a Small Space Required!)

October 5, 2015 at 12:16 pm

You seriously just made my day! Thank you so much Beverley!!!

rachel @ athletic avocado
    October 5, 2015 at 12:30 pm

i love the simple and whole ingredients! i would eat these over traditional pecan pie anyway!
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…Cranberry Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate {Vegan + Paleo}

She Rocks Fitness
    October 5, 2015 at 6:08 pm

I love coconut flavored balls…chocolate and cherry balls…and obviously anything that involves peanut butter balls! 😉
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Hamsa & Harmony GIVEAWAY

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    October 5, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I need these in my life. Luckily I have ALL the ingredients on hand. YAY!!! Need to carve out time this week to make your delicious balls. Speaking of you loving balls, please tell me you and Lee have seen the Saturday Night Live Skit “Delicious Dish” with Alec Baldwin? Please. If you haven’t, you must find and watch. I giggled your ENTIRE post thinking of it! 😉
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Sweet Bacon & Broccoli Salad

October 6, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Schweddy Balls!!!!!! I literally die every time I see that skit or someone mentions it. Also that is pretty much what a conversation between Lee and I sounds like…

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    October 6, 2015 at 12:22 am

As much as I LOVe the taste of all sorts of energy balls, I really can’t keep them around the house. I can never eat just a serving size amount so it’s best if if I stick to snacks like apples/PB!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Pumpkin Morning Glory Muffins (gluten free)

October 6, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I hear ya! It can be impossible sometimes to stop at just one. Apples + PB is a good solution although sometimes It’s hard to actually find the apple under all the PB lol…ohhhhh self-control.

Denise
    October 17, 2015 at 9:41 am

Love dates and thought why not ? How about protein balls ?

Sherwood
    December 30, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Made these as the balls of the week. It’s been a while since I’ve made balls involving nuts, so like I did the first time I made balls I over-processed these and lost most of the oil and, I suspect, pecan taste. They’re very dense and chewy, something I’ll never complain about. However, I’m sure they’re not supposed to be that way, and it tastes like poor decision-making. I might just make these again this weekend so I can do ’em right. There’s still some pecan taste, but it’s very light. These definitely taste a lot like pecan pie filling, and that thrills me. I can’t wait to see what these taste like when made right! Thanks so much for the recipe!

The Healthy Maven
      January 4, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Aw I’m sorry they were too dense! Yes, pecans are pretty sensitive to over-processing so be a bit careful next time but no matter what, they’ll still taste delish!

Sherwood
        January 21, 2016 at 12:03 am

Finally got around to trying these again. I was really careful about not over-processing them and losing all the pecan oil. I think I under-did it this time, though. lol While I managed to get the “dough” into balls (they fought me), they pretty much fall apart as soon as you take a bite out of ’em. They also don’t have that pecan pie filling-like gooeyness that the over-processed ones had. They’re still pretty friggin’ tasty, but not perfect. I guess I’m just gonna have to make ’em a third time! Shucks. 😀 I have a plan in mind, though. I’m going to process the dates for longer before throwing in the pecans and spices. I think that oughtta do the trick!

The Healthy Maven
          January 21, 2016 at 8:50 am

Oh man, these little guys have been tricky for ya haven’t they! My suggestion would be to make sure the pecans are cool before adding them to the food processor and if they’re a little too sticky, try throwing them in the fridge for 10-20 mins to let them firm up. That should do it! If not I’m out of advice for ya 🙁 They seem to always work out for me, but we both know that as an environment changes, so do the results! Just like a science experiment haha

Sherwood
    January 29, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Absolutely. Cooking is pretty much alchemy, turning one (or many, as the case may be) substance into a different one. I got a little thrill out of mixing baking powder with warm applesauce for your banana bread last night. lol Anyway, I think that’s the issue! My pecans have definitely not been cool when I use them! In fact, they sizzle when I pour the vanilla on ’em… I don’t use nuts except in recipes, so I toast them to-order for this when I’m getting the process going. I’ll try cooling them down next time and let you know how that goes. 🙂

cbaker
    February 15, 2017 at 6:58 am

I made these the other day..sooo delish!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Audrey
    April 30, 2017 at 10:51 pm

These look delicious. Just wondering how many calories per ball?
    Thx.