breakfast gluten-free muffins snacks vegan winter

Chocolate Gingerbread Muffins {Gluten-Free + Vegan}

November 22, 2015

Ring in the holidays with these healthy chocolate gingerbread muffins that are gluten-free and vegan! They’re full of rich chocolately flavors plus a spicy gingerbread kick.

Ring in the holidays with these healthy chocolate gingerbread muffins that are gluten-free and vegan! They're full of rich chocolately flavors plus a spicy gingerbread kick.I was chatting with my cousin the other week, while these muffins were baking. She was interviewing me for a school project and asked me where my inspiration comes from for recipes. As with anyone who asks me this, my answer is always the same: In my dreams.

Okay, I’m kidding. They usually come to me out of the blue and almost always at the most inconvenient times. Also apparently I’m not the only one who gets the best ideas while working out!

I keep a running list on my phone and computer so when inspiration strikes I rush to write it down. Except when I’m in a Barre3 class, because that would be challenging…

Ring in the holidays with these healthy chocolate gingerbread muffins that are gluten-free and vegan! They're full of rich chocolately flavors plus a spicy gingerbread kick.I was equally as fascinated with the questions she had for me as she did with the answers. I loved when she asked me about how I come up with different flavor options and how I know they’ll work. This required me to evaluate my creative process in a way I never had before, even if once again the answer is that they really just come to me.

I have no explanation for it. I just have a good sense of flavors. I’ve always loved combining foods and seeing what would happen. When I was little I would test spices on different foods to see how they would taste. I’m pretty sure I was the only 8 year old sprinkling cinnamon and nutmeg on their Cheerios.

I don’t know if it’s all of the years of practice or if I was just born with an innate sense of taste, but I’ve always been able to discern when a dish is lacking something or pick out a flavor when no one else can taste it.

Ring in the holidays with these healthy chocolate gingerbread muffins that are gluten-free and vegan! They're full of rich chocolately flavors plus a spicy gingerbread kick.I don’t think Chocolate + Gingerbread is a particularly innovative combo, but for some it may be a little out there or different. But for me, it just makes sense. I’m of the opinion that chocolate should always have a kick. It’s probably why I’m the only person who adds chili powder to most of their chocolatey goods.

But these chocolate muffins were begging for some gingerbread action, because ’tis the season! And because my tastebuds dictate all of the recipes that end up on this space. One day you’ll learn to trust them as much as I have. Or you can just think I’m crazy. Both may be accurate.

Chocolate Gingerbread Muffins {Gluten-Free + Vegan}

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Make flax egg and set aside.
  3. Spray a muffin tin with coconut oil or line with muffin liners.
  4. In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder and salt.
  5. Warm up applesauce in microwave for 30 seconds (or on stovetop until warm but not scalding).
  6. Stir in baking soda. Mixture should foam. If not, try again until it does.
  7. In a separate bowl combine applesauce mixture, coconut oil, maple syrup, molasses 1/2 cup milk and flax egg until well-combined.
  8. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet. Mixture will be thick but if too thick to stir add in another 1/4 cup of milk (this is due to the amount of xanthan gum in the flour which varies by brand)
  9. Scoop batter into muffin cups until 3/4 full.
  10. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
  11. Muffins are ready when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
  12. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days on counter or longer in fridge.

Notes

I use namaste gluten-free flour blend. If you're using another brand, make sure it includes xanthan gum or if not, add in 1/2 tsp xanthan gum otherwise they will be too crumbly and as indicated in instructions, amount of milk will depend on amount of xanthan gum in mixture.

Ring in the holidays with these healthy chocolate gingerbread muffins that are gluten-free and vegan! They're full of rich chocolately flavors plus a spicy gingerbread kick.Are you good at predicting and detecting flavor combos? Bloggers, when do your best ideas come to you?

Lee
    November 22, 2015 at 9:21 am

I just know what tastes good and what doesn’t. In all seriousness – chocolate + gingerbread = love and dats da trooth.

November 22, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Really I just rip off your flavor combos because I know they’re legit.

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    November 22, 2015 at 10:18 am

One of the reasons I can get through the cold winter season…gingerbread goodies! And of course…chocolate goes with everything 😉
    My best ideas just come out as I go! I usually have a vague plan, but once I start baking or cooking, if I “feel” something else, I just go with it and change routes! It’s all a fun creative process!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 11/20/15

November 22, 2015 at 3:57 pm

That’s awesome! That usually only happens to me when I discover I’m missing a key ingredient, and then suddenly the whole plan goes out the window!

Bethany @ Athletic Avocado
    November 22, 2015 at 10:38 am

chocolate and gingerbread is the new stylish flavor combo! These muffins are the bomb.com!
    Bethany @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…14 Healthy Sweet Potato Side Dish Recipes

She Rocks Fitness
    November 22, 2015 at 10:42 am

My best ideas come to me honestly when I am working out!!! I always have my phone with me so I can write the ideas down in my “notes” section. It is a crazy sense of clarity that comes to me whenever I am moving my body…It is a thing I am not complaining about. These look DELISH! XOXO
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Full Body Treadmill Workout

November 22, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Same here! Except it kind of sucks when I’m in a group class and can’t run out to put it into my phone and then I forget LOL.

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    November 22, 2015 at 2:00 pm

YES!!! Gingerbread is my absolute favorite spice mix. Add that in with vegan chocolate muffins and I’m in heaven!! Thanks, Davida!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Chai Spice Mix + Vegan Chai Latte

November 22, 2015 at 3:54 pm

I spy a chai vegan latte…would go perfectly with these muffins 😉

Shannon
    November 22, 2015 at 3:24 pm

These look so good! I want ALL THE GINGERBREAD right now! 🙂
    Shannon recently posted…Easy Classic Herb Stuffing

November 22, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Me too! I’ve eaten gingerbread muffins, gingerbread cookies and gingerbread chia pudding just today!

Cindy
    November 22, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Could you use almond flour or coconut flour almond for mix?

November 23, 2015 at 8:58 am

Unfortunately, no. It is do-able but because the consistency of grain-free flours is quite different I would have to test what the new measurements would be. You’re welcome to try, but unfortunately it won’t be one-to-one so you’d have to play around with the dry-liquid ratio. So sorry Cindy!

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    November 22, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Need. to. buy. molasses. OR just have it delivered. Can you just bring that and the mustard to me so I can make these? I used to never be into gingerbread but I think this is my year.

HOLY F I JUST REALIZED WHY IT’S CALLED GINGERBREAD.

I’m the dumbest person ever. ginger. WOW.
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…Banana Chocolate Chip Pancake Bread [Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Oil Free]

November 23, 2015 at 8:57 am

ahahhaahhahaha this was a priceless Cassie comment. I’ll bring you all the gingerbread and all the mustard when I see you next!!!

Alexa [fooduzzi.com]
    November 22, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Yes yes yes! I keep a running list of recipes on my phone, too. Literally, recipe inspiration can strike anywhere-any time. It’s super embarrassing when I’m talking to someone and suddenly I’m like, “Ahh wait a second, recipe idea!” but I guess it comes with the territory? I guess? Possibly?

And oh my gosh these muffins! They sound PERFECT for this time of year! I’ve just recently become a ginger-freak, so I’ll definitely be giving this a try!
    Alexa [fooduzzi.com] recently posted…30+ Gluten Free Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes

November 23, 2015 at 8:55 am

Hahaha it must because that happens to me on the daily!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    November 23, 2015 at 8:42 am

Well these certainly look tasty! Much better than the gingerbread muffins that failed me this weekend. Still forcing my husband to eat them either way. I put TJ’s pumpkin cookie butter on them though, so he instantly approved.
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Gingerbread Granola [vegan, gluten-free]

November 23, 2015 at 8:52 am

hahaha that damn cookie butter just kills me! It’s okay, C thinks all my baked goods aren’t sweet enough because I use less than a cup of sugar… so it’s the exact same here!

Aimee
    November 23, 2015 at 12:07 pm

What oven temp? I don’t see it listed. Thanks.

Tara
      December 10, 2015 at 8:47 pm

I’m with Aimee… What temperature should the oven be????

The Healthy Maven
        December 10, 2015 at 8:54 pm

I’m so sorry! I’m just seeing this. Oven should be at 350 degrees F. I’ve updated the instructions. My apologies!

November 25, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Uh, talk about PERFECTION in muffin form!
    Cassie recently posted…The Meaning of Life is in the Little Things

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    November 29, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Ideas always come to me at bad times. I’m always like, okay I’ll remember this. And then I usually forget haha
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Pumpkin Cinnamon Raisin Balls

Charlotte Burkholder
    November 27, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Can I sub regular all purspose flour? I don’t have gluten free.