Swap out regular flour in these healthy and customizable oat flour muffins. Made with whole-grain ground oats, unrefined sugar and dairy-free ingredients for a muffin recipe the whole family will love.
I’ve been on the oat flour recipe train for years. I used to be primarily gluten-free and found that oat flour really made for the best substitute for regular all-purpose flour in my baked goods and dessert recipes.
If ground finely it has a similar texture to all-purpose flour but actually has a bit more sweetness. It’s also a whole grain, high in fiber and more affordable than other gluten-free flours like almond flour or coconut flour.
These oat flour muffins make for the perfect base to your gluten-free muffin recipe. They can easily be adapted to include your favorite add-ins so be sure to check out the flavor variations below!
Ingredients in Oat Flour Muffins:
- Oat flour – you can use store-bought or grind up your own in a high speed blender (use old-fashioned oats or quick-cooking oats NOT steel cut oats).
- Coconut palm sugar – or brown sugar or other granulated sugar
- Baking soda + baking powder – helps the muffins rise.
- Cinnamon – the perfect spice pairing for these muffins.
- Applesauce – you can replace with canned pumpkin or mashed banana.
- Almond milk – feel free to sub in any other kind of milk.
- Coconut oil – this adds moistness.
- Large egg – helps bind the muffin together.
- Vanilla extract – a flavor enhancer.
- Optional add-ins– chocolate chips, blueberries, raisins etc…
What is Oat Flour?
Oat flour is essentially just ground up rolled oats. You can buy pre-ground oats from the grocery store or you can even make oat flour at home. Making oat flour is super easy. Just add your rolled oats to your blender and blend until a fine flour consistency is formed. I use my Vitamix which does the trick really well but any old blender should do.
You can use both regular rolled oats or quick-cook oats. Do NOT use steel-cut oats as they cannot always be finely milled to a a flour that is necessary for these oat flour muffins.
How to Make Oat Flour Muffins
STEP 1: COMBINE DRY INGREDIENTS
Combine oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
STEP 2: COMBINE WET INGREDIENTS
In a separate bowl combine mashed applesauce, almond milk, coconut oil, egg and vanilla. Add dry mixture to wet and stir until just combined. Fold in add-ins of choice.
STEP 3: BAKE MUFFINS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease or place liners into a muffin pan. Scoop batter evenly into 10 cups. Bake for 20-25 mins. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins. Remove from tray and let cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
On Counter: keep in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days
In Fridge: will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
In Freezer: will keep in an airtight ziplock bag or container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight or for several hours on countertop.
The sky is the limit when it comes to flavor variations for these oat flour muffins. You can really add in 1/2-1 cup of your favorite mix-ins. Truly anything will work but here are some suggestions:
- Chocolate – 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Peanut Butter – 1/4 cup peanut butter – just mix it right into the batter! You can also add chocolate chips too
- Berries – 1/2-1 cup of blueberries or any other fresh or frozen berry
- Grated Carrot – 1 large carrot for carrot cake muffins
- Grated zucchini – 1 large zucchini for an added veggie boost (just be sure to squeeze out all moisture!)
- Dried fruit – use 1/2 cup of whatever you have on hand.
More Oat Flour Recipes You’ll Love:
- Healthy Banana Zucchini Bread
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal Bars
- Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Oatmeal Bars
Oat Flour Muffins
Swap out regular flour in these healthy and customizable oat flour muffins. Made with whole-grain ground oats, unrefined sugar + dairy-free!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups oat flour (ground up rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce (or mashed pumpkin or 1 large banana, mashed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup add-ins: chocolate chips, blueberries, raisins etc…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tray with liners or spray with non-stick spray. You will only need 10 liners.
- Combine oat flour, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine mashed applesauce, almond milk, coconut oil, egg and vanilla.
- Add dry mixture to wet and stir until just combined.
- Fold in add-ins of choice.
- Scoop batter evenly into 10 cups.
- Bake for 20-25 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins.
- Remove from tray and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container or in freezer for months.
Keywords: Oat flour, oat flour muffins
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!