A healthy summer treat with a serving of zucchini mixed into this sweet and delicious Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread! Made gluten-free with oat flour, sweetened with unrefined sugars including banana and maple syrup and a healthy dose of chocolate.
If you subscribe to the THM meal plans then you’ll be fully up-to-date on my gardening adventures! Unlike last year’s garden in our very shaded yard in California, our sunny Minnesota garden is absolutely thriving. In fact, it’s kind of out of control! Our zucchinis are especially prolific and I’m at the point where I’m just handing out zucchinis to anyone who shows up at our house. Thankfully I have plenty of zucchini recipes up my sleeve including this zucchini banana bread.
What I love about this healthy loaf recipe is that it’s entirely sweetened with unrefined sugars like maple syrup and the natural sweetness of bananas. It’s also gluten-free (love me some oat flour!) and dairy-free if you choose to grease your loaf pan with coconut oil. I’ve heard this healthy zucchini bread is a real hit with the kiddos. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Here’s What You Need:
- oat flour – you can buy oat flour or make your own by grinding up rolled oats.
- maple syrup
- chocolate chips
- baking powder
- sea salt
A quick note: This zucchini bread is not extremely sweet. Sweetness will depend entirely on the ripeness of your bananas. If you like things a bit sweeter I’d recommend adding 1/4-1/2 cup of brown sugar or coconut palm sugar.
How to Make Healthy Zucchini Banana Bread
STEP 1: In a large bowl combine oat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and sea salt.
STEP 2: In a separate bowl mash up bananas and add in maple syrup and eggs.
STEP 3: Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
STEP 4: Add mixture to loaf pan and bake for 50-60 mins. Loaf is done when top is firm to touch and no batter remains when poked with a toothpick or fork. Let sit in loaf pan for 20 mins before removing and allowing to cool completely on counter.
Baking with Zucchini
The most important thing to know about baking with zucchini is that it holds a lot of water! Start by shredding your zucchini into a separate bowl or onto a clean kitchen towel. Take the kitchen towel or paper towels and squeeze out all of the excess liquid from the zucchini. The end result will be a big ball of shredded zucchini that you’ll add to the batter.
This healthy zucchini banana bread will keep up to 3 days if left well-wrapped on the countertop…if it lasts that long!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
A healthy summer treat with a serving of zucchini mixed into this sweet and delicious Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread! Made with oat flour, sweetened with banana, maple syrup and a healthy dose of chocolate.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups oat flour (ground up rolled oats)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large zucchini, shredded and excess water squeezed out* (roughly 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil or butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl mash up bananas and add in maple syrup and eggs.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Add mixture to loaf pan and bake for 50-60 mins.
- Loaf is done when top is firm to touch and no batter remains when poked with a toothpick or fork.
- Let sit in loaf pan for 20 mins before removing and allowing to cool completely on counter.
- Will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container on the counter.
*I use a clean dish towel and place the shredded zucchini inside before squeezing out all of the liquid. Be sure to get everything so it ends up in a large ball that you have to break up into the batter.
Keywords: Zucchini banana bread, zucchini bread, gluten-free zucchini bread
Like this post? Here are others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!