A healthy summer treat with a serving of zucchini mixed into this sweet and delicious Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread! Made with oat flour, sweetened with banana, maple syrup and a healthy dose of chocolate.
Lately I’ve been getting a lot of questions about how I navigated the transition from food blogger to lifestyle blogger. Around this time last year I shared this post where I talked about how I was uncomfortable being pigeon-holed into blogging about food and felt like my blog was no longer a reflection of me. It was hard for me to admit I was unhappy – mainly out of fear from being judged for seeming ungrateful – but the second I hit publish I immediately felt a weight lift off my shoulders.
As I sit here eating a slice of this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread, staring out at the Golden Gate Bridge on my little zen bench in my bedroom I can’t help but be grateful to the girl who took a risk. The girl who started this blog, turned it into a business and eventually went back to her roots.
Maybe that girl is you and you’re just seeing your risk pay-off. Or maybe you’re not quite there yet. Or maybe you want to be that girl but you’re scared to take the leap. Wherever you are on that journey, I’ll tell you this: It is only with high-risk that you will yield high-reward. Stop caring about what others may think and do what feels so instinctively and shamelessly you. You will not regret it.
Okay back to this zucchini banana bread… aka the bread of my dreams.
Here’s What You Need:
- oat flour – you can buy oat flour or make your own by grinding up rolled oats.
- unsweetened almond milk
- maple syrup
- chocolate chips
- baking powder
- sea salt
Zucchini Bread meets Banana Bread
Yep, this is a mashup of my two favorite breads making this the ultimate loaf! The combination of banana and zucchini makes this bread perfectly moist. (Sorry but it is the perfect descriptive word for this bread!) The oat flour keeps this bread light and fluffy and the maple syrup + chocolate chips add just the right amount of sweetness.
Baking with Zucchini
The most important thing to know about baking with zucchini is that it holds a lot of water! Start by shredding your zucchini into a separate bowl or onto a clean kitchen towel. Take the kitchen towel or paper towels and squeeze out all of the excess liquid from the zucchini. The end result will be a big ball of shredded zucchini that you’ll add to the batter.Print
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Yield: 12 slices 1x
- 2 cups oat flour (ground up rolled oats)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large zucchini, shredded and excess water squeezed out*
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl mash up bananas and add in applesauce, almond milk, maple syrup and eggs.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Add mixture to loaf pan and bake for 50-60 mins.
- Loaf is done when top is firm to touch and no batter remains when poked with a toothpick or fork.
- Let sit in loaf pan for 20 mins before removing and allowing to cool completely on counter.
- Will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container on the counter.
*I use a clean dish towel and place the shredded zucchini inside before squeezing out all of the liquid. Be sure to get everything so it ends up in a large ball that you have to break up into the batter.
Like this post? Here are others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!