chips gluten-free paleo snacks vegan

{VIDEO} SuperSeed Crackers

February 16, 2016

Crackers just got a healthy makeover with these SuperSeed Crackers made entirely from fiber-rich and omega-filled super seeds! Grab your seeds, mix with water and spices and bake! That’s all you need for this healthy snack recipe perfect for dipping.

Crackers just got a healthy makeover with these SuperSeed Crackers made entirely from fiber-rich and omega-filled super seeds! Grab your seeds, mix with water and spices and bake! That's all you need for this healthy snack recipe perfect for dipping.I used to believe that all of life’s problems would be solved if I got a dehydrator. If you asked me what kitchen appliance I desperately wanted I was quick to respond with “a dehydrator!” I envisioned myself spending my weekend’s making fruit leathers, jerky and seedy crackers. All of life’s worries would just disappear if I got my hands on one of these babies.

…and then I moved into a 700 square ft apartment and the thought of another kitchen appliance gave me severe anxiety.

I’ll admit that our apartment certainly is not a shoebox (I paid those dues when I lived in NYC), but two people (one of which works from home), a dog and a kitchen appliance hoarding problem makes space pretty tight in our humble abode. Throwing a dehydrator into the mix may not be the best idea right now.

No dehydrator? Fear not! These SuperSeed Crackers are made with just 6 simple ingredients (including water and spices!) and can be made entirely in your oven. Watch me make them in this quick and easy-to-follow video tutorial:

I would actually recommend that everyone try living in a small space for a certain amount of time. It’s definitely taught me the value of “less is more” and how to shove as much stuff as possible into drawers.

I wouldn’t go so far as to call myself a minimalist (I have way too many food props for that..) but I’ve learned to live with far less stuff and purchase way less. P.S. If you ever want to curb a shopping problem, try sharing a single dresser for your clothing with your boyfriend. I get so frustrated I end up donating more clothes every week.

Crackers just got a healthy makeover with these SuperSeed Crackers made entirely from fiber-rich and omega-filled super seeds! Grab your seeds, mix with water and spices and bake! That's all you need for this healthy snack recipe perfect for dipping.I’ve said goodbye to my dehydrator dreams, but still wasn’t ready to let go of my weekend cracker baking sessions. Fortunately, I’ve discovered that you actually don’t need a dehydrator to make these SuperSeed crackers and in fact, making them in the even requires way less time! I know, I know they’re not raw but whatever.

I’ve since made apple chips in the oven and feel pretty confident in my ability to pull-off fruit leathers. This whole “minimalist” thing is making me a bit cocky but hey, at least I’m becoming more innovative!

SuperSeed Crackers

Everything Bagel Spice

• 1 tsp poppy seeds
  • 1 tsp sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp dried onion
  • 1 tsp dried garlic

1. In a blender or food processor, pulse sunflower seeds until broken up into smaller bits. Alternatively chop up using a knife (I just find the blender easier).
  2. In a large bowl combine all seeds, spices, salt and water. Stir to combine
  3. Set aside for 1 hour to absorb liquid. Mixture will thicken up.
  4. Preheat oven to 350.
  5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  6. Spread out mixture on parchment, ensuring the mixture covers every inch of the baking sheet. Mixture will be thick so it may take a few minutes to spread.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes.
  8. Turn oven off and let crackers sit in oven for 1 hour.
  9. Remove from oven and let sit until completely cool.
  10. Break up into desired cracker size.
  11. Store in an airtight bag for up to one week.

Notes

*Feel free to use whatever spice blend you desire. I also love cracked black pepper and rosemary but the options are endless!

What kitchen appliance is on your wishlist? Do you believe in the “less is more” mentality?

Marina @ A Dancer's Live-It
    February 16, 2016 at 7:20 am

LOVE the idea of these crackers! I also love how easy they are to make! Thanks for sharing Davida <3
    Marina @ A Dancer’s Live-It recently posted…Wellness Trends To Watch This Year

Lori @ TheHealthMinded.com
    February 16, 2016 at 9:16 am

Those little seeds are packed with healthy goodness! So this is a great idea and way of getting them. I must try. Sharing!
    Lori @ TheHealthMinded.com recently posted…3 Big Ways Coffee Affects Your Brain

February 16, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Thanks lovely! They really are a great way to get in those extra omega fatty acids and fiber!

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    February 16, 2016 at 9:25 am

So funny, my sister and I were just talking about kitchen appliance wishes this morning! I want an immersion blender 🙂

February 16, 2016 at 1:47 pm

It’s a life-saver! Costco usually has pretty good deals on them too FYI! 😉

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    February 16, 2016 at 10:30 am

These crackers look amazing!! I bought my mom a dehydrator for Christmas one year and she uses it sometimes…not too often. It does make really good dried fruit and apple chips though! I have made props to you for sharing a dresser with your bf. I would go insane and my OCD would be off the wall haha. I don’t really have an urge for any new kitchen appliances right now, but it would be cool to get a kitchen aid stand mixer one day! I will have to learn to bake then lol.
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Making the Gains – 20 Minutes of Running, Cleans, & Burpees

February 16, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Thank you! I do consider it a feat that we share a single dressor (even if he may want to kill me about it daily haha)

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    February 16, 2016 at 10:31 am

I couldn’t wait for this recipe after you posted them on Snapchat…why do you have to make me wait like that?!?! Hahaha, love the video, and the ingredients are stupid simple. LOVE IT.
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Chocolate Covered Chickpea Protein Balls

February 16, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I know…I’m so mean 😉 Honestly, I was too lazy to get the video up in time. Totally my fault!

Lindsey Bomgren
    February 16, 2016 at 11:05 am

I’ve currently been in love with Mary’s Gone Super Seed Crackers — I’m going to have to try and make these myself…challenge accepted! Thanks for the recipe!
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…pork chop with roasted beet & apple salad + saffron mahi mahi {local crate dinner recipes + giveaway}

February 16, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I believe in you! And we’re total Mary’s Crackers addicts too…except that these may have replaced them because I feel like they’re too easy to not make myself haha

Beverley Cheng
    February 16, 2016 at 1:59 pm

my boyfriend and i live by the waterfront in around a 750 sq. ft apartment with our cat and i totallyyyy understand the too-many-appliances issue. although i’m really lucky because he gave me the entire closet in our room, and took the one in the spare room haha.
    that being said i’m glad no dehydrator purchase is necessary because i LOVE seedy crackers and would love to try and make these.
    Beverley Cheng recently posted…A Major Life Changing Event

February 16, 2016 at 5:22 pm

girlfriend I think we must live in the same neighbs cause you just joined totum and that’s right near me! We’re not too far from the water either. I think a meet-up is necessary 🙂

February 16, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I LOVE crackers with a lot of seeds because of their nice crunch! Chia seeds get stuck in your teeth though XD but sesame seeds have such a great flavor!
    Cassie recently posted…Dinner Ideas: Mexican Cod Tacos + Spicy Tomato Guacamole (gluten free)

Lauren
    February 16, 2016 at 3:57 pm

These look awesome. They have these sorts of crackers in health food stores here but they are hella expensive! I know how you feel living in a small apartment. Everything in England is small anyway and then living in London and then Sydney makes me used to smallness. My American friends here are used to everything being giant so they find it more difficult! A vitamix is on my wish list but that shit is going to have to wait until both of us are full time workers again! One more year of college to go!
    Lauren recently posted…Whole 30 Finished and What Now

February 16, 2016 at 5:23 pm

those Americans and their space 😉 Haha one more year! You got this!

Kristin
    February 18, 2016 at 9:26 pm

These look amazing! Do you think they would still work if I swapped the ground flax seeds for LSA? Also would they work if I swapped the whole sunflower seeds for pumpkin seeds? Just like to use what I already have on hand!

Fran
    April 20, 2016 at 8:55 am

I did make these and they were amazing! My only problem is they didn’t stay crisp for me in an airtight container-any hints on what I may have done wrong? not thin enough? Also, I do have a dehydrator-can I use that for this recipe too?

April 20, 2016 at 9:24 am

I store mine in a paper bag! I find they stay crisp that way. You can totally use a dehydrator for the recipe!

Elise
        May 16, 2016 at 10:56 pm

I just got a dehydrator…any guesses about the length of time / temp it would work with it? [Yes I realize the point of the post was that an oven would suffice – sorry!!]

Megan
    April 21, 2016 at 9:40 am

Do you have to use raw sunflower seeds for these? I make granola frequently and all I have on hand are the roasted seeds I use for that.
    Thanks!

Sara Gepp
    June 14, 2016 at 12:43 am

I was so looking forward to enjoying this beautiful site. But, it is so packed with ads and scripts I couldn’t fully enjoy the content. Now I am trying to save the recipe and its taking like so long just to scroll up. Beautiful blog but, sad I can’t actually do anything on your site. 🙁 Please email me if there is anything I can do to provide more info.

Karen
    April 2, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Do you have any other recommendation for flavoring the crackers?

Barbara
    May 29, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Hi….my crackers were not crispy…too much water maybe? I followed directions.. They tasted pretty good…but they were soft. Any suggestions? Hope you are doing well🌞

May 29, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Hi Barbara,
      You’ll just need to bake for longer! Everyone’s ovens are different so mine may run hotter than yours. Better luck next time!

Barbara
        May 30, 2017 at 10:45 am

Ok….ty ☺

Susan
    July 8, 2017 at 8:07 pm

These crackers are fantastic!!! I used a pizza cutter to score the crackers after the 30 minute bake time, that way they were easier to break into a more uniform size and shape. I returned them to the oven after scoring as directed in the recipe.