Crackers just got a healthy makeover with these SuperSeed Crackers made entirely from fiber-rich and omega-filled super seeds! Grab your seeds, mix with water and spices and bake! That’s all you need for this healthy snack recipe perfect for dipping.
I used to believe that all of life’s problems would be solved if I got a dehydrator. If you asked me what kitchen appliance I desperately wanted I was quick to respond with “a dehydrator!” I envisioned myself spending my weekend’s making fruit leathers, jerky and seedy crackers. All of life’s worries would just disappear if I got my hands on one of these babies.
…and then I moved into a 700 square ft apartment and the thought of another kitchen appliance gave me severe anxiety.
I’ll admit that our apartment certainly is not a shoebox (I paid those dues when I lived in NYC), but two people (one of which works from home), a dog and a kitchen appliance hoarding problem makes space pretty tight in our humble abode. Throwing a dehydrator into the mix may not be the best idea right now.
No dehydrator? Fear not! These SuperSeed Crackers are made with just 6 simple ingredients (including water and spices!) and can be made entirely in your oven. Watch me make them in this quick and easy-to-follow video tutorial:
I wouldn’t go so far as to call myself a minimalist (I have way too many food props for that..) but I’ve learned to live with far less stuff and purchase way less. P.S. If you ever want to curb a shopping problem, try sharing a single dresser for your clothing with your boyfriend. I get so frustrated I end up donating more clothes every week.
I’ve said goodbye to my dehydrator dreams, but still wasn’t ready to let go of my weekend cracker baking sessions. Fortunately, I’ve discovered that you actually don’t need a dehydrator to make these SuperSeed crackers and in fact, making them in the even requires way less time! I know, I know they’re not raw but whatever.
I’ve since made apple chips in the oven and feel pretty confident in my ability to pull-off fruit leathers. This whole “minimalist” thing is making me a bit cocky but hey, at least I’m becoming more innovative!
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup brown or golden whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- around 1 T "everything bagel" spice (I used Epicure's premade version but a recipe is listed below)*
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
Everything Bagel Spice
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- In a blender or food processor, pulse sunflower seeds until broken up into smaller bits. Alternatively chop up using a knife (I just find the blender easier).
- In a large bowl combine all seeds, spices, salt and water. Stir to combine
- Set aside for 1 hour to absorb liquid. Mixture will thicken up.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread out mixture on parchment, ensuring the mixture covers every inch of the baking sheet. Mixture will be thick so it may take a few minutes to spread.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn oven off and let crackers sit in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let sit until completely cool.
- Break up into desired cracker size.
- Store in an airtight bag for up to one week.
What kitchen appliance is on your wishlist? Do you believe in the “less is more” mentality?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!