Dinner just got a healthy makeover with this Sticky Orange Chicken Recipe! Made with 100% pure orange juice and organic baked chicken tenders in an almond meal crust, this tangy and sweet dinner recipe is a perfect weeknight meal.
I’m convinced that everyone needs a good chicken recipe up their sleeve. Just like chocolate chip cookies or a great cocktail, you never know when duty calls so you better be prepared with a go-to chicken recipe.
It doesn’t happen often, but occasionally I find myself hosting a spontaneous dinner party that requires me to whip up a hearty meal FAST. That’s exactly where I found myself last week when I may or may not have had an extra glass of wine and suddenly invited 5 people over for dinner with absolutely nothing on the menu.
Now, I am so my mother’s daughter where dinner parties are planned well in advance. I’m a slightly toned down version (she labels her dishes so she knows what to plate on!) but generally if I’m hosting I like to have a menu in mind.So here I was with a room full of 6 people and absolutely no preparation done. In these cases, simple is best. But I’m also not going to pretend like I don’t love a good show-stopper meal so I had to come up with something on the fly. C and I eat these baked chicken fingers once a week but unless my best friend (who also has the taste buds of a 5 year old – sorry Sab!) is coming over, I generally won’t serve chicken fingers to my guests. So I needed some serious improv to up the ante on that recipe.
I looked in my fridge and I wasn’t working with much, but per usual had a carton of orange juice on the shelf. Orange + chicken is always a good idea. So I decided to attempt a sticky orange chicken recipe, without having any sort of high expectations.
This sticky orange chicken was made with ingredients I already had in my home (win!) and was surprisingly easy to make (extra win!). You guys know I’m pretty lazy when it comes to cooking so hacks like using Tropicana® 100% Orange Juice make my life infinitely easier. Ain’t nobody got time to hand-squeeze oranges so I always have Tropicana OJ in my house for when I want 100% pure orange juice with nothing added.
With a side of rice and steamed green beans, the meal turned out better than I could have imagined and yes, it successfully show-stopped my guests! I’ve since made it 3 times and it’s now officially added to my dinner-party roster.
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner recipe or last-minute dinner party idea, try this Sticky Orange Chicken. If your kitchen is stocked anything like mine, then you should have most of the ingredients on hand already. And if you do make it, be sure to share by tagging the image on Facebook and Instagram with #thehealthymaven, so I can check out your photos! I love seeing which recipes you guys make. Hope you enjoy!
For The Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs organic boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For The Sticky Orange Sauce
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp tapioca starch (mixed with 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp hot water for "slurry")
For The Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Crack an egg into a medium bowl and whisk.
- In a separate bowl combine almond meal, garlic powder, chili powder and sea salt.
- Using your left hand, place chicken piece into egg and then place into the almond meal-spice bowl. Use your right hand to coat chicken piece. Place chicken on a baking pan.
- Repeat process until all chicken is coated.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Remove from heat and set-aside.
For The Orange Sticky Sauce:
- Add coconut oil to a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and saute for 1-2 mins or until lightly browned.
- Add in orange juice, rice vinegar, tamari and sesame oil and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl combine tapioca starch and hot water. Mix well to form slurry.
- Add slurry to orange sauce and stir until well combined. Keep on high until sauce has thickened and then set temperature to low.
- Add in chicken and coat well with orange sauce.
- Serve with rice and veggies for a complete meal.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Tropicana® Canada. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions expressed are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make THM possible!
Do you like hosting dinner parties? What is your go-to dinner party meal?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!