No one needs to know there’s black beans hidden in these delicious Peppermint Black Bean Brownies. They’re also grain-free, sweetened with maple syrup and lightened-up with applesauce with the refreshing taste of peppermint to top them off!
If you’ve only made brownies from a brownie mix, you’re in for a treat with this recipe! I promise it’s *almost* as easy as baking mix but tastes 10x better. They’re the perfect dessert to bring to a party this holiday season.
Before you run off because you saw the combination of black bean + brownies in the title, stick with me! You 100% cannot taste the black beans. I had the ultimate taste-tester (my 4 year old nephew) test these and he couldn’t taste them so you know I’m not lying. They’re not too cakey, not too fudgy, they’re truly the perfect brownie texture.
Why make black bean brownies?
I’m all for hiding nutritious ingredients in all sorts of recipes. Add shredded zucchini in bread or brownies, shredded carrots in waffles, or avocados in muffins. Adding black beans to these brownies adds protein and fiber to these brownies while keeping them grain-free.
Ingredients in Healthy Peppermint Brownies
- black beans – I used canned black beans to keep it super simple.
- unsweetened almond milk
- maple syrup
- vanilla and peppermint extract
- cocoa powder
- almond meal
- baking powder
- sea salt
- crushed candy cane – an optional but fun topping idea!
How to Make the Best Black Bean Brownies
The first step is to blend your black beans and almond milk until smooth – you can use a blender or a food processor for this step. Once smooth, mix in the rest of the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and then slowly add the dry ingredients to the blender or food processor until combined with the wet mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Grease a square baking pan with coconut oil and add batter to the pan. Bake for 30 minutes and then let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares to serve. Store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Like this recipe? Here are more holiday desserts you might enjoy:Print
Peppermint Black Bean Brownies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 brownies 1x
- 2 cups of black beans, well rinsed and drained (roughly 1 1/2 15 oz cans)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond meal*
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Optional: 1/4 cup crushed candy cane for a seasonal topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a blender or food processor, combine black beans and almond milk until smooth.
- Once smooth add in maple syrup, eggs, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract and process for 30 seconds until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine cocoa powder, almond meal, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into food processor until well combined.
- Add in chocolate chips by hand.
- Grease an 8 x 8 (or 9 x 9) inch baking pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
- Add batter to pan and smooth out top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting and removing from pan.
- Top with crushed candy cane if desired.
- Store in refrigerator for several days.
*Feel free to sub in any flour if you don’t want them grain-free.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!