Another fantastic vegetarian product is nutritional yeast. As you can guess from its name, nutritional yeast is packed with nutrition, particularly B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc and protein. It’s low in fat, gluten-free, and contains no added sugars or preservatives. Best of all, it tastes like CHEESE! Nutritional yeast is the best thing since sliced (gluten-free) bread for you lactose-intolerant out there! I love this stuff. I sprinkle it on pasta, use it in place of cheese on pizza and it tastes awesome on popcorn. Also, I recently discovered it is a fantastic source of B12. This is powerful stuff! So I figured with all the fresh basil growing in my mini-herb garden, why not mix it with some nutritional yeast and make vegan pesto. I can honestly say (and C can attest) that you will not notice the lack of cheese in the sauce. Topped with some spicy tempeh, this is a perfect dairy and gluten-free pasta dish that packs some serious protein punch.
Vegan Pesto Pasta with Spicy Tempeh
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Keywords: saute cook entree gluten-free vegan tempeh Italian
Ingredients (Yields: 4 servings)
- 1 package of gluten-free pasta (I used Tinkyada brown rice linguine)
For the Pesto:
- 1 cup of packed basil
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Tempeh:
- 1 package of tempeh (250 grams), cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tsp sriracha (or more if you like very spicy)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or chili pepper)
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 T water
- salt and pepper
For the pesto:
1. Mix together all ingredients in a blender or food processor until completely pureed. Add water as needed to get mixture moving.
For the tempeh:
2. Mix together all ingredients (except tempeh).
3. Add tempeh and let marinate for 30 mins (or overnight in fridge).
4. When ready to prepare pasta cook tempeh on the stovetop with a bit of coconut oil over medium heat for 5 mins or until it begins to brown.
For the pasta:
5. Cook pasta according to package instructions
6. In a large bowl mix pasta with pesto sauce.
7. Stir in tempeh.
8. Top with salt and pepper and serve.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!