Lately I’ve been on a recipe makeover kick. There’s nothing I love more than not feeling guilty about indulging in my favourite classic treats. So many of the foods we love contain preservatives and all sorts of other junk that make them less than optimal for our health. Maybe I have just become accustomed to the taste of “healthier” food, but I really no longer crave the foods I used to love as a child. It helps that when I look at the ingredient list in so many of these products I am completely turned off.
Serves: 15 cookies
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup flax
- 1/2 cup dates (soaked for 15-30 mins)
- 1/2 cup cacao
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 2-8 hours, longer the better)
- 1 T coconut oil, melted
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp stevia extract powder (or more maple syrup, to taste)
- Add almonds, flax, and dates to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until it reaches a "rice-like" consistency.
- Add in cacao and sea salt.
- Continue to process until all ingredients come together in a ball (about 5-10 mins).
- Take two sheets of wax paper and spray or pat with coconut oil.
- Place "dough" on bottom sheet and cover with top sheet.
- Using a rolling pin roll out until dough is a 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a circular cookie cutter (or with a knife) cut out circles.
- Allow cookies to sit in fridge while you make the cream.
- Clean out your food processor or blender and add in cashews, coconut oil and maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
- Scrape vanilla bean seeds and stevia into mixture and process for another minute until well combined.
- Remove cookies from fridge and using a knife spread cream onto one cookie and cover with another.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Tell me which recipes you want me to makeover! Or if you’ve done some make-overing yourself share the link!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!