Now that it’s officially Christmas in America, it’s time for me to go full-force with traditional Christmas flavours. The fact that I’ve only published 2 gingerbread and 1 peppermint flavoured recipe so far this season has required more will-power than you’ll ever know. But now I’m free to assault you with everything Christmas flavoured! Bring on the gingerbread.
Serves: about 20 cookies (depending on size)
- 1 cup dates, packed
- 1 cup nuts (I used 1/2 cup almonds and 1/2 cup cashews)
- 2 cups oats (instant or rolled)
- 2 T fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 T blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- sprinkling of sea salt
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped (optional but highly recommended!)
- Process dates in a food processor or powerful blender until pea sized consistency is reached.
- Add in nuts and process until well combined
- Add oats and continue to process until "dough" comes together to form a ball.
- Break up the ball and add in fresh ginger, molasses and spices.
- Continue processing until everything is well combined. Dough will be somewhat sticky but should still hold a shape.
- Stir in candied ginger if desired.
- Wet hands and form dough into balls. Flatten balls with palms to make cookie shape.
- On a parchment or saran wrapped baking sheet align cookies in a single layer. Alternatively use a baking pan and stack in layers with a sheet of parchment or saran wrap between.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Keep in refrigerator for several weeks or in the freezer for months.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!