Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries

I’ll be honest, I considered not posting this recipe. Why? Because it didn’t turn out so green. But it was a) too awesome not to share and b) if you can’t figure out that brussels sprouts are meant to be green then you should maybe crawl out from under your rock.

I’m posting it anyway.

In life I am a huge fan of green foods. It probably isn’t normal that I get overly excited about brussels sprouts and kale literally makes my heart flutter, but there are worse issues in the world to have. So I have a green food fetish…whatevs.

At the same time, I have come to discover that certain foods are not meant to be green. I’m looking at you green beer!

roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries

Let’s rewind to St. Patty’s Day 2010. I somehow had missed the boat on green beer in my prior 21 years and was determined to make up for it in one day. This my friends was a bad idea. In hindsight, the disasters that followed had absolutely nothing to do with the green beer, but I’m blaming it anyway.

You see I had a sidekick join me for my St. Patty’s Day Binge-drinkingfest. ESeids paid me a visit from SF and for having travelled all the way to Montreal to see me I knew I had to show her a good time. Fortunately I didn’t have to try hard since the entire McGill ghetto (yes this is what we call it) was out to play. We drank our green beers, gorged ourselves on pizza and passed out by 5:00 PM. GTs….

But then ESeids got sick. And no, we’re not talking alcohol sick, we’re talking THE STOMACH FLU. Which unfortunately terrorized her for 24 hours. I played nurse as best as I could and crossed my fingers so hard that I wouldn’t catch it. Despite it being clear that the green beer didn’t cause it, we blamed it anyway and vowed to never drink it again.

roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries 2 48 hours later, I was in the clear. Phew. ESeids had recovered and it was time to start raging once more. Apparently I’ve accumulated some bad karma because a few hours later I was hit hardcore by the stomach flu at a Calvin Harris concert. Let me tell you, the last thing you ever want to experience is the stomach flu at a rave. I can’t even begin to explain how this was one of the worst nights of my life. So I won’t.

Let’s just say the memory still haunts me in my dreams and green beer has been added alongside bacon to my foodie-hate list. Never again.

Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients (Serves: 4)

• 2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 1 pint blueberries
  • 3 T fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1.5 T olive oil
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl combine brussels sprouts, HALF of blueberries, and rosemary.

3. Top with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir so all brussels sprouts and blueberries are coated.

4. Spread evenly on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet.

5. Sprinkle with sea salt.

6. Bake for 15 mins.

7. Remove from oven and flip over.

8. Bake for another 10 mins.

9. Remove from oven and add in remainder of blueberries.

10. Serve warm.

Powered by Recipage

Any St. Patrick’s Day horror stories? What about bad food associations?

*Don’t forget you have up till Friday to post your GREEN recipe to be included in The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Link-Up!

Comments

1. says

Traumatic experiences with alcohol are the worst! Even if they have nothing to actually do with the alcohol. You’ll probably be just fine going without green beer for the rest of your life anyways…going without kale or brussels sprouts would be near impossible, I think, though! Love this pairing with blueberries! It’s so fun!
    Joanne recently posted…Blood Orange Greek Yogurt Poppy Seed Pancakes

2. says

Ooof that doesnt sound too fun! Hopefully that does not happen this year….or ever again! I am not drinking right now to focus on my upcoming big races, so will not be celebrating the beer side of St. Patricks day, but you can enjoy a green beer for me :)

I have to admit, when I first saw the title I was a little skeptical, but they look great, and I am sure it will work. I love bluberries too! ALways looking for new recipes with them! Thanks for the idea :)
    Tina Muir recently posted…Training Update 3/2-3/8

3. says

Green beer is a perfectly acceptable scapegoat in my opinion. ALso, green or not, these look amazing! John is kind of meh about brussels sprouts but I’m obsessed with them so these are going to happen.

Obviously it’s irrelevant now, but I wouldn’t eat meatloaf for years as a kid (side note: this was probably for the best) because I got the stomach flu the night we had it when I was 9. Like your experience, it was zero percent related, but I refused to eat it and my irrational association was strengthened because I didn’t throw up again until I was struck my a stomach plague at 18 (and during that I had a disturbing amount of blue gatorade in an attempt to keep me out of the hospital lol, leading to a new association) . In conclusion, this was probably tmi for a blog comment. Sorry friend…
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Reading, date night, Ashtanga, & Cosmos

4. says

Ah! I feel for your friend :( That blows. Also, brussel sprouts and blueberries…..hmmmm sounds suspect but I trust you so I will have to try this! I’m pretty hit or miss with brussel sprouts but I do love blueberries so if you say it’s good, I believe you :)

5. says

Haha what a terrible story I am so sorry!!!!! That’s awful! I’ve never really been into St. Patty’s day so I have no horror stories… It’s just another weekend in my opinion. In fact, last year, I was running my first full marathon on St. Patty’s so I didn’t even realize it was happening because, duh, my mind was elsewhere. What an interesting combination this is…

6. says

Ohhh green beer. I haven’t had it since Queen’s and that makes me kinda sad. St. Patrick’s day was a big one for us, almost as big as homecoming.. and that’s saying something. I don’t think I have any horror stories from St. Paddy’s.. most of them are from homecoming. That’s for another day though…
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Confessions – Life Lately

7. says

I keep saying that I need to try brussels sprouts again. Ok, actually I only say that when I see a recipe for brussels sprouts. I like the way you think adding blueberries to these.

The idea of having a stomach flu at a rave is too much for me to even imagine. Stomach bugs are LITERALLY the worst. You can make it with any other kind of sickness, but the second your stomach gives out, it’s like something comes in and takes control of your entire body, and you can’t do anything. I associated cranberry juice with my stomach bug for the longest time, so I refused to drink it. I say cranberry juice, you say green beer. Same thing.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Let’s Catch Up #2

8. says

Haha omg that sucks so bad to get the stomach flu there!! At least the brussels look delish! I’ve been eating them by the pound lately so this is great to find a new way to make em.
    PB&Jess recently posted…Weekend at home

9. says

I wish I could make brussel sprouts more often, but Ryan has a pretty gnarly running story after eating them the night before. I’ll spare you that one. I threw up at a Zedd concert. I was on a new medication and we wolfed down In n’ Out before. I think it was the combo that had me keeled over the toilet while trying not to get kicked out. I was probably the only sober/non drugged out concert goer yakking in the bathroom. Now In n’ Out = bleh.
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…5 Reasons you Should Shop at Ethnic Markets

10. says

Brussels and blueberries? Lady, you are brilliant. I don’t really have any St. Paddy’s day horror stories – I try to avoid going out on March 17th in London, because apparently London gets a little insane…hence why the only reason I have ever seen this city on National News was after the St. Patrick’s Day Riot on Fleming Drive a few years ago. Crazy college kids…
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Spill It Sunday: All About Healthy Fats.

11. says

No bacon?!
    These look good – I love stuff with rosemary.
    And, I cannot (nor do I want to) imagine getting the stomach bug at a huge concert/rave – poor thing!!!
    Kim recently posted…Open or Closed?

12. says

Oh mannnn…..That does sound like a nightmare. *shiver* As I’m eating nothing but green food right now— avocado toast, brussels sprouts, spinach.
    I have a bad association with the green Marie Callendar’s frozen chicken pot pie box and the green chair on which I ate it, because that resulted in the worst food poisoning/stomach flu of my life. I’ve reconciled with the green chair because it’s super comfy, but not the Marie Callendar. Not at all.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Weekend Confessions II {MIMM #26}

13. Anna Kriegel says

Love this story lol. I can’t believe you just posted this recipe because this past saturday night, I went out for dinner (at a BYOB place you’d be obsessed with) and had roasted brussels with strawberries and they were SO (shockingly) good and I imagine this is just the same. Also, if you have some spare time and feel like whipping up a healthy hamantashen recipe in honor of purim approaching (hi from your rabbi-friend), I would most certainly try it out! I’ve been on a quest to find one… LOVE YOU FOUR MORE DAYS

• says

ANSOOOOOO 1. There is so much more to this story and I will fill you in on all the deets on FRIDAY (sorry Eseids!) 2. Where is this restaurant??! I need strawbs and brussels in my face now. 3. Ugh why can’t hamentaschen be green?! Only posting green recipes this week…lame. 4. Check out Elana’s pantry for all kinds of Jewish Healthy Goodness (http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-raspberry-hamantaschen/) also Lexi’s Clean Kitchen is gonna be doing a bunch of passover recipes. She also happens to be Mike Davidson’s girlfriend (smallest world ever) and she’s also totally legit. 5)SEE YOU SO FREAKING SOON I COULD PEE MYSELF.

14. says

Ugh hearing that story is bringing back my own memories… my college had an “Unofficial” St. Patrick’s day each year and lets just say somehow we managed to have a cop, three random boys, and a giant flaming torch in our apartment senior year all at the same time. Still not sure how any of us survived the night.

But anyways green beer aside this looks like an interesting combo, in the best of ways of course ;) at the least I may have to try it for the sweet and salty factor.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…WIR #42: The Listography edition

15. says

Never would have thought to pair them together, but blueberries and brussels sprouts sound amazing! especially with rosemary. blueberries + rosemary is epic.

We called Queen’s housing area the “ghetto” too- run down houses with garbage everywhere. What an awesome area!

Green beer was never a thing in my life, and after hearing your story, I certainly won’t be testing it out!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…double chocolate blueberry pancakes with blueberry sauce

16. says

I never would have thought of this combination! But I love both foods, so obviously I’m sure they’d be amazing together.

The stomach flu on St. Patty’s Day/at a concert would be the worst! But hey at least there are lots of alternatives to green beer… margaritas, mojitos, green tinted apple-tinis!

My St. Patty’s Day horror story was from 4 years ago when a big group of like 15 of us decided to go out for all you can eat sushi on St. Patty’s Day after drinking all afternoon. Worst idea EVER!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Weekend recap: all about cooking

17. says

St Patty’s Day horror stories include my senior year. I don’t remember it. But I’m sure it was nuts. I don’t do green beer because green food coloring scares me… despite the fact I love green foods. If I could marry spinach, I would. Has Canada made that legal yet?
    Cassie recently posted…Autumn Vegetable Fritatta

18. says

I love, love, love this.
    If they have brussel sprouts at the store, I’m totally making this because you combined two of my great loves: fruits and veggies.

I have so many St. Patrick’s Day stories….all of them great and some where I have no idea how I made it home. I’m pretty sure the Hubby helped with my memory loss, but also by putting me to bed. What can I say? I’m Irish, and it just so happens to be my birthday as well. Now that’s a party.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…WIAW: My Creative Well Has Run Dry Edition

19. says

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it
    is truly informative. I’m gonna watch out
    for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future.
    Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
    Churches in Nevada recently posted…Churches in Nevada