random ramblings

Random Ramblings #10

March 7, 2014

It’s been a while since I’ve rambled. My mind has been reeling with thoughts, but only my poor (dead) plants get to listen to them. That means I have quite a bit pent up for you. Get ready.

1. Back by popular demand I’m hosting a St. Patrick’s Day link-up! All you have to do is post a green recipe. It doesn’t have to be a baked good either. It can be anything from broccoli to a green smoothie and everything in between. My only request is that you don’t use artificial colouring. Get creative! Some things I use in place of artificial dye: spinach, matcha powder and spirulina.

Just like my V-Day link-up I will be posting recipes from Sunday to Friday, then on Friday I will open up the link-up. You are welcome to post any day that week, just remember to link-up on Friday! Also you can use the picture I’ve posted below or give a shout-out to THM but that is NOT NECESSARY. I’m not in this for self-promo, I truly love challenging people to get crazy in the kitchen. I think I get off from forcing people out of their comfort zones…

the great st. patricks day green food link-up2. As to be expected, madness has ensued in “Castle Danger” (mine and C’s name for our home…long story). Last Saturday I decided I needed a bubble bath ASAP. Neither C nor I had the energy to go out and buy the necessary plug to use our bath so instead my engineer boyfriend got creative. C attempted to plug the bath with a ziploc bag full of quinoa and rice. It worked long enough for me to light candles and listen to one Enya song. You’ll get it next time babe…

bath3. I have officially given in and embraced my inner grandma. Please allow me to introduce you to my newest possession, my Bubby Buggy. Isn’t she gorgeous? I’m gonna be walking down the streets of Toronto with so much swagger rolling this bad boy.

buggy4. Have you tried these? Don’t. They are crack in a bag. My lovely mother bought me a Costco sized bag, which I managed to finish in 2 days. Ermagherrrrd amazeballs.

popcorners5. I recently discovered that Arman and I run on the same workout schedule (in opposite time zones) so we decided we may as well workout together. Allow me to introduce you to the newest workout craze, selfie wars. The best part about this is that I took so many pictures the security guard (who was watching through a camera) commented to me that it looked like I got a great workout with a huge smirk on his face. I told him I was training for a fitness competition and was just practicing my posing. Best workout I ever had.

selfie-war6. In one week I will be off to NYC! I had planned to go visit in May, but I’ve been getting a little restless to see my besties and take a little break from Toronto so I spontaneously booked a trip. Can’t wait to hug my sister-wives! And raid the nearest Trader Joe’s…

nyc 2013

Will you be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day? Have you ever tried Popcorners Chips? Are you jealous of my buggy?

March 7, 2014 at 5:17 am

I should hold some of those other photos ransom……check out that tooch though 😉

Popcorners….please tell me you’ve tried the sweet and salty ones- they are standard on my kitchen table. Well, were in Melbourne. My sister favours the nacho cheese one.

C doesn’t need to worry about you getting hit on when out and about with that stunner of a bag.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Grain Free Cheddar and Garlic Savoury Waffles

March 7, 2014 at 7:22 am

Arman, your comment about the bag has me rolling. Sorry Davida. I couldn’t help it.

St. Patrick’s Day is my shit. Every year, they have a parade in my honor. It’s fabulous.

I love the battling workout selfies and good luck with the tub. I’m with C; his idea was sound. Ish. Maybe a bag of frozen peas would hold up better than quinoa.
      Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Currently: March 2014

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    March 7, 2014 at 6:18 am

First, since I now live in Chicago, St. Patrick’s Day is basically a national holiday for us 😉 And I’m Irish so yes, definitely celebrating!! And I have one of those buggies!! You’re not alone in the grandma status, haha!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…My {newer} favorites!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    March 7, 2014 at 6:29 am

Wait you are coming to NY? How long will you be here? I don’t know my exact sched but maybe it will work out that I am in the city! I bought the Pop Corners recently for my son – he really liked them. I am weird and not a chip person so I can keep bags of those in the house and not even think twice about eating them. I did try them though- they were good!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Love Your Muscles

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    March 7, 2014 at 6:42 am

Umm…your buggy? I am stealing it when I come to Canada to visit in a few weeks! LOVE.
    I have been dying to try the pop corners! But, now I dunno if I should…my willpower is -100. I’d probably eat the bag in like -.005 seconds.
    Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness recently posted…Samoa Scones {Whole Wheat + Healthy Fats}

March 7, 2014 at 6:47 am

This will be my first St. Patty’s day post-university! Something tells me in just won’t be the same as the crazy celebrations at Western. 😉 I’ll try to celebrate by joining your link up though! Now what to make…
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Fig oat energy balls

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
    March 7, 2014 at 7:44 am

Great idea to have a Patty’s day Challenge!!!! You sure are right – cooking something “green” would be a lovely challenge!

Popcorners? Why haven’t I seen them at my Costco? Then again, it might be a good thing I haven’t, the last time my daughter and I got a bag of “food should taste good” multigrain chips – we finished it in less than 4 days!!!
    Shashi @ RunninSrilankan recently posted…Thinking Out Loud…

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    March 7, 2014 at 7:50 am

Errrr….what date is St. Patricks Day again?? Sorry…my brain is so blonde currently (always).
    Haha, you guys crack me up with the quinoa plug. Pretty genius!!
    I am soooo jealous of yor nyc trip. Any space in your suitcase left, maybe???
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Embracing Rest

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    March 7, 2014 at 8:08 am

Laughing so hard at your bathtub fail and grandma buggy. What do you even put in that thing? St. Patty’s day is on a Monday, so while I won’t be celebrating the way I’d prefer (with day drinking, obviously), I am very Irish so I like to embrace the day!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Food and Fitness Lately

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    March 7, 2014 at 8:11 am

Those are dangerous chips, so good! I love green foods! I’m going to have to make sure to take good pictures of a few of my favorite green recipes to post. I loVE your makeshift bath stopper. I love bubble baths but don’t have a stopper so I always take them when I’m at home.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Trying new things – Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Soup

Taryn
    March 7, 2014 at 8:14 am

The quinoa/rice bag is so clever! It’s a shame it didn’t quite work though hahah. And yay for NYC! Such a fun place to visit 🙂
    Taryn recently posted…TGIF: Bridges, Beaches, & Books

Madison
    March 7, 2014 at 8:19 am

I love your random ramblings–I cannot say it enough! I have not tried those popcorn chip things but those look addicting. I’ve been addicted to Cheddar Sunchips this week–so random for me but oooooh so good. Do you like those?
    Madison recently posted…My New Job AND Workplace Fashion

Kim @ BusyBod
    March 7, 2014 at 8:42 am

I’m going to do my best to come up with something for this link-up, which means you’ve officially pushed me out of my comfort zone. 😉 Also I feel like everyone has those bags here, maybe grandma-chic is a thing?

Annnnd I know you’re coming to see friends and that your comments are probably going to BLOW UP with NYC area bloggers that want to meet up, so I 100% completely understand if you won’t have time, but I’d love to meet up while you’re here. But I completely understand if it doesn’t work, so no pressure at all!!! Just let me know. 🙂
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…How I Ohm at home

Anna
      March 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Perhaps we should just plan one big blogger get together and then it can happen! But, yes, no pressure Davida 😉
      Anna recently posted…Thinking Out Loud {3/6/14}

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    March 7, 2014 at 8:50 am

haha…well, C’s bathtub plug is quite innovative! Definitely never seen anything like that before!

We don’t typically celebrate St. Patrick’s day, but I do love all the food. One of my favorite things ever is Irish Soda Bread. One of my co-workers is Irish and brings a loaf or two in for us, and I can’t wait! I look forward to it every year!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Easy Broccoli and Sausage Crustless Quiche

March 7, 2014 at 8:54 am

Crap, now I have to try and get creative with green things…I’ll think of something. And as for the bathtub clogging thing – Eric and I used one of pug’s little poop-scoop bags and it actually worked pretty well!
    PopCorners are insanely awesome. Try the kettle ones – they’ll disappear even faster.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 03/07/14.

Anna Kriegel
    March 7, 2014 at 8:59 am

TEARS actually welled up in my eyes when I saw that picture of us!!!! I literally cannot wait Divs!!!!!!!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    March 7, 2014 at 9:00 am

HAHA oh my god you kill me. I want a buggy bubby RIGHT NOW. How perfect. Also–lol why are you trying to listen to Enya while bathing? I hate Enya, though I suppose her voice is soothing…
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…A Little Break

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    March 7, 2014 at 9:01 am

Oh and for the link up I’m thinking of throwing some avocado on toast and calling it Healthy Avocado Toast. Cool?
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…A Little Break

Anna Kriegel
    March 7, 2014 at 9:04 am

Whoops, I also forgot to add I listened to your interview last night on life stye accountability!! You are literally the most eloquent, cutest, inspiring healthymavengoddess in the whole wide world <3<3<3<3

Leslee @ Her Happy Balance
    March 7, 2014 at 9:09 am

I really like the kettle style pop corners! I buy the box of snack size bags of assorted Popcorners at Costco. Perfect for work lunches 🙂 Your bubby buggy is hysterical. It will probably be great to hold farmer’s market groceries and other random stuff? I don’t know but please IG pictures of you using it.
    Leslee @ Her Happy Balance recently posted…Friday Favorites! – (3/7/14)

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    March 7, 2014 at 9:49 am

Popcorners are sooooo good. My Dad was buying them all the time in the summer for the cottage. They are impossible to put down. Also so jealous you are going to NYC!
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Punta Cana Highlights

kathy @ vodka and soda
    March 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

ain’t nothing wrong with that buggy. i carry a reusable bag that i got for free to work errday because i’m too lazy to actually use a legit work bag. no shame in our game.

-kathy | Vodka and Soda
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…spring forward

Cat
    March 7, 2014 at 10:27 am

I’m totally celebrating Paddy’s Day! My parents are both Irish so it’s like all the birthdays and christmases come at once in a booze-and-beef-fuelled day. Love it 😉 Will definitely get a recipe brewing!

PS I have secretly wanted one of those buggies for AGES now. I think this is a sign it’s time to grannify my shopping experience…
    Cat recently posted…Gluten-Free Pancakes with Ricotta, Walnuts and Honey

Jess @dearhealthyness
    March 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

Love your buggy, is not that you are a grandma, is that you appreciate adult things 😉 NYC sounds like fun!!! I LOVE NYC!
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Friday Favorite: A Beautiful Story

Lauren @ ihadabiglunch
    March 7, 2014 at 11:40 am

I can’t wait for St. Patty’s Day!! I’m not even Irish but it was always a big deal at my school in college so now I have a soft spot in my heart for it. And I love popcorn so I bet I’d lovvvvve those chips–they look dangerous though haha
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…so apparently it’s Friday?

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    March 7, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I love the buggy! Very cute and I totally understand how necessary! Workout wars selfies are hilarious! I love your response to the security guard. Amazing!

I have to see you when you are in NYC!!!!!!!!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Friday’s Food & Fitness

Krista @ Tiny n Fit
    March 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Ha dont even know what a buggy is! I assume a rolling bag of sorts? Anyway no plans for St Patricks Day yet! But I will most definitely be up for creating green recipes!
    Krista @ Tiny n Fit recently posted…10 Things I Believe

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    March 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Awww, what a guy! C’s plug was a valiant effort. Ryan is an engineer too, so it’s not uncommon to find some ridiculous jerry rigged contraption around here. These guys do come in handy… sometimes 😉
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…5 Reasons you Should Shop at Ethnic Markets

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    March 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

That quinoa and rice plug…I’m dying. Only you and Curt. Okay I’m off to make something green with matcha!!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit
    March 7, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Hahahah laughing at the quinoa baggy – I just use a washcloth and shove it in the hole. Worth a shot next time, but the quinoa makes for a much better story! I want to play along in the SPD Green Food Link Up. I’ll have to let the juices start flowing to get some ideas. Of course I’m celebrating – I love SPD! My boyfriend and I took the day off and half day on Tuesday, haha! We’re celebrating downtown Cleveland, bar hopping and there’s a parade! 🙂
    Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted…How the Week Went Down

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite
    March 7, 2014 at 3:30 pm

That bag is too funny! I think it’s like a modern twist on a grandma-like item? Yes?
    Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted…46 Day Whole Foods Challenge

Ellie@Fit for the soul
    March 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Haha just because you said not to buy those chips I now want to try them! I guess they’re that good? And you guys are too cute! Selfie war sounds like a fun idea. Maybe you should make a post or link-up out of it. 😛 And I’m impressed by your innovative thinking with the quinoa bag–I probably would have tried to tape it or something, which wouldn’t have worked at all, lol.
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted…Thinking Out Loud+Thrifting Therapy

March 7, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Last year I made green mac & cheese – it was OK but the texture of the sauce was weird. Maybe I can come up with something fun and play this time!
    I hope you get a tub drain so that baths are a little longer!!! I love to soak and read – and have wine but sadly no wine for a few more weeks!!
    So funny that the security guard at the gym actually made a comment!
    Kim recently posted…My New Happy Hour

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    March 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Green ALL THE FOODS! I’m totally in! I already planned on doing something anyway…just do me a favor and keep your fingers crossed that we don’t have another kitchen meltdown like we had last month when I attempted the V Day link up…whyyyyyyy do I still want to cry little (vegan) tears over that?!

I seriously love this post! Best workout selfie ever! Now get me one of you toting that grandma bag down the street! Bonus points if you get any utterly confused passersby in the picture! 😉
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…VEGAN Beautifying Beet Smoothie

Nikki @ grab your kicks
    March 7, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Yep, I love Popcorners! My favorite is the kettlecorn variety. Love the link up idea! Fun! I’ll have to think of something creative!
    Nikki @ grab your kicks recently posted…Five Things Friday 3.7.14

March 7, 2014 at 7:40 pm

But what I want to know is when are you going to book a trip to Edmonton!?! Maybe then I can forgive you for forcing me to get creative with green foods. Ugh. Bane. Still love you. And miss you <3
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #68 .

Brittany
    March 7, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I legit laughed out loud twice in this post. First when you spoke about the bath plug..HAHA I LOVE that. SO close. And then the selfies in the gym…your reply to the security guard was classic. I would never be able to think that quickly for a witty reply. HAHA! I want to try those popcorners you speak of…but then I don’t. I’m scared.
    Brittany recently posted…How to Make Coffee…Without a Coffee Maker

Jessie
    March 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm

NYC? AH! You lucky lady. Please tell me I’m not the only one to say you & the girl on your right (if your looking @ the screen) look like twins?!!
    Jessie recently posted…All-Pro Science Review/Giveaway

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    March 7, 2014 at 10:27 pm

You and I will be the best old people EVER. No joking; with your buggy and my knitting skills we make a fine team. All we need is a cat
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Healthy Vegan Fridays #8

Cara's Healthy Cravings
    March 8, 2014 at 11:45 am

I guess it depends where in TO you are shopping, cause those buggies are pretty common in my neck of the woods. Feel confident while toting your buggy through Chinatown/Kensington, as most people do 🙂
    Cara’s Healthy Cravings recently posted…Soba Noodles with Tofu, Eggplant and Mango

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    March 8, 2014 at 11:45 am

What is a bubby buggy? I know what a buggy is, that’s what I call a shopping cart (which I get weird looks for all the time because apparently that’s not normal.). But I mean I’m not normal sooo. Can’t wait for the green link up. Once I made green oats but that was a long time ago. Then there were those green meat loaf things. And obviously green smoothies. I will have to really think outside the box for this one.

Your bootay looks poppin. I’m jelly/
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Rosemary Sweet Potato and Carrot Pancakes [Fish Fry Fridays]

Mary Frances
    March 8, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Aw, your boyfriend is so sweet 🙂 I love hot baths, too! Haha, oh my goodness, love your gym selfie story! The link up sounds so fun – I’ll definitely share!
    Mary Frances recently posted…St. Patrick’s Day Green Smoothie

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    March 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Ok I laughed out loud with the security guard story. Too funny. Please tell me why I don’t live in NYC so we can finally meet each other!

Spill it, Sundays #15- the FAT edition | The Big man's World
    March 8, 2014 at 5:47 pm

[…] be gracing you with not one, but two selfies. Well…a selfie war? Ninja’d off Davida’s post. Let’s just say these are perhaps the most mature photos we take during our synced gym […]

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    March 8, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I’ve never heard of Popcorners Chips but they sure do look good. Ooh, green but no artificial coloring…the second part surely is a challenge. Love it! Hopefully I can whip up something in time, but if not, I definitely look forward to seeing everyone’s contributions. 🙂
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Double Mint Cookie Bars

Sarah Pie
    March 9, 2014 at 10:15 am

I’ve had drain issues recently too… I stuffed a washcloth down there and kept my foot on top, worked like a charm 😉

I already told Arman but these selfie battles need to become a regular thing, seriously.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Spill it Sunday: Bring on the Fats

Kaitlin
    March 9, 2014 at 10:27 am

OH MY GOSH NYC!! I’m sure you will have plenty of people to see and things to do but maybe I’ll run into you in the city. No joke, that happened last weekend where I ended up in the same spin class as a few other bloggers without realizing it 🙂 Anyhoo, love the bath idea. I’ve been using a washcloth, but that’s a brilliant plan.
    Kaitlin recently posted…The Cheapest Therapy

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    March 9, 2014 at 10:59 am

YAY! With 4 very-Irish names (first, middle, maiden, and current last) and a family from Ireland, I’m all about St. Patty’s Day! And I already have a green recipe planned, so I’m excited! Plus, I totally had a granny shopping cart when I lived in Chicago for business school without a car. Embrace it!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…7 Interesting Things I Read This Week #6

MIMM – Benchmark Week done, Survivalrun done!! | Fit Swiss Chick
    March 9, 2014 at 7:06 pm

[…] warm temps right now and I just love it. I spent some time in the kitchen and cooked up a trial for Davida’s St. Patrick’s Day link up. GREEN Pancakes. I already have a recipe for green pancakes, but these look even greener.I also […]

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    March 9, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I have never tried Popcorners chips – they look awesome.
    I LOLed about the selfie wars!!! haha!!! Cameras in your gym? That sounds creepy to me!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Spread the Word to End the Word {2014}

March 10, 2014 at 1:18 am

I’m cracking up at your gym selfies! WOOHOO for a trip to NYC, I’m sure you’ll have a fab time! 🙂
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Hiking Centers Me

Paleo Peppermint Donuts w/ Green Coconut Frosting - The Healthy Maven
    March 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm

[…] *Don’t forget you have up till Friday to post your GREEN recipe to be included in The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Link-Up! […]

cait @pieceofcait
    March 10, 2014 at 10:57 pm

LOL you and arman crack me up!

I’ll be celebrating St. P FLORIDA STYLE , can’t wait!! and I noticed so many people doing the whole 30 thing too, what a trend !?
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…MIMM = a nephew & belated birthday brunch!

Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries - The Healthy Maven
    March 11, 2014 at 2:11 am

Raw Key Lime Pistachio Bites - The Healthy Maven
    March 11, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] *Don’t forget you have up till Friday to post your GREEN recipe to be included in The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Link-Up! […]

Dill Avocado Toast - The Healthy Maven
    March 12, 2014 at 5:00 am

Hidden Greens Vanilla Almond Muffins | Nutty for Life
    March 13, 2014 at 4:00 am

[…] day is to hide them in things, and my beautiful and brilliant friend Davida is hosting a fun little holiday link-up for green foods this […]

Ninja Ultima Review + Chocolate Mint Smoothie. |
    March 13, 2014 at 5:02 am

[…] means that I’ll be linking up for Davida‘s St. Patrick’s Day Green Food linkup. Make sure you check out all the other […]

Thinking Out Loud Randomness | Hungry Healthy Girl
    March 13, 2014 at 6:58 am

[…] Day. If you’re a blogger, consider linking up and if you’re a reader, don’t miss The Great St. Patrick’s Day Link-Up! It will be live on Friday at The Healthy […]

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    March 13, 2014 at 10:46 am

Your buggie is so cool oh wow. And the selfies war sounds super fun as well hahaha ;–)
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Double Chocolate Fudge Energy Bars

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    March 13, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Popcorners – Yes I am a fan! My dad refuses to buy me the Costco size bag because I would seriously eat the whole thing in one sitting. Let’s just say I can’t wait until I get my own membership. Well clearly you made the security guard’s job a bit more fun! So glad you are taking some “you” time. The company of those sister-wive-friends is always much needed where you can literally just breathe and talk without needing to finish your sentences. I can relate to you on wanting to have a bubble bath – I was so desperate my mom suggested I use the sink – No tubs to be found in this residence 🙁 Your boyfriend deserves a metal for trying to create a contraption. Aha, those wheels may be the new BMW. I contemplated getting myself one at the start of the year but figured 20 going on 70 might not be the way to pick up boys.
    Molly @ The Happiness Recipe recently posted…MIMM #13: Fall Reading Week

10 Ways I Am Not Your Stereotypical HLB - The Healthy Maven
    March 20, 2014 at 9:24 am

[…] 1. While my sleeping patterns are not to be admired, I am certainly not up at 5:00AM working out. I prefer my evening workouts. I also like that they coincide with Arman’s crack-of-dawn clean and jerks. […]

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins with Pecan Streusel - The Healthy Maven
    March 26, 2014 at 5:02 am

[…] since I have SEVEN bags in my freezer ($2.50 for a bag of organic frozen blueberries means Davs and Petunia go crazy!). Reminder, I come from a family where having five whole pineapples on your countertop is […]