gluten-free sides vegan

Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries

March 10, 2014

I’ll be honest, I considered not posting this recipe. Why? Because it didn’t turn out so green. But it was a) too awesome not to share and b) if you can’t figure out that brussels sprouts are meant to be green then you should maybe crawl out from under your rock.

I’m posting it anyway.

In life I am a huge fan of green foods. It probably isn’t normal that I get overly excited about brussels sprouts and kale literally makes my heart flutter, but there are worse issues in the world to have. So I have a green food fetish…whatevs.

At the same time, I have come to discover that certain foods are not meant to be green. I’m looking at you green beer!

roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries

Let’s rewind to St. Patty’s Day 2010. I somehow had missed the boat on green beer in my prior 21 years and was determined to make up for it in one day. This my friends was a bad idea. In hindsight, the disasters that followed had absolutely nothing to do with the green beer, but I’m blaming it anyway.

You see I had a sidekick join me for my St. Patty’s Day Binge-drinkingfest. ESeids paid me a visit from SF and for having travelled all the way to Montreal to see me I knew I had to show her a good time. Fortunately I didn’t have to try hard since the entire McGill ghetto (yes this is what we call it) was out to play. We drank our green beers, gorged ourselves on pizza and passed out by 5:00 PM. GTs….

But then ESeids got sick. And no, we’re not talking alcohol sick, we’re talking THE STOMACH FLU. Which unfortunately terrorized her for 24 hours. I played nurse as best as I could and crossed my fingers so hard that I wouldn’t catch it. Despite it being clear that the green beer didn’t cause it, we blamed it anyway and vowed to never drink it again.

roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries 248 hours later, I was in the clear. Phew. ESeids had recovered and it was time to start raging once more. Apparently I’ve accumulated some bad karma because a few hours later I was hit hardcore by the stomach flu at a Calvin Harris concert. Let me tell you, the last thing you ever want to experience is the stomach flu at a rave. I can’t even begin to explain how this was one of the worst nights of my life. So I won’t.

Let’s just say the memory still haunts me in my dreams and green beer has been added alongside bacon to my foodie-hate list. Never again.

Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time:ย 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients (Serves: 4)

• 2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 1 pint blueberries
  • 3 T fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1.5 T olive oil
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl combine brussels sprouts, HALF of blueberries, and rosemary.

3. Top with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir so all brussels sprouts and blueberries are coated.

4. Spread evenly on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet.

5. Sprinkle with sea salt.

6. Bake for 15 mins.

7. Remove from oven and flip over.

8. Bake for another 10 mins.

9. Remove from oven and add in remainder of blueberries.

10. Serve warm.

Powered by Recipage
roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries 3

Any St. Patrick’s Day horror stories? What about bad food associations?

*Don’t forget you have up till Friday to post your GREEN recipe to be included inย The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Link-Up!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    March 25, 2014 at 5:33 am

I’ve roasted apples…grapes…and even strawberries, but I can’t say I’ve ever tried popping blueberries in the oven…and never have I thought to combine them with brussels! I have GOT to try this…now that I’m finally reading the post and not just eyeing the pictures in my reader! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Pinning for sure!

[email protected]
    March 15, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Such a beautiful side, Iโ€™ve never paired blueberries with veggies before, but the ingredients sound really delicious!

[email protected]
    March 15, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I love, love, love this.
    If they have brussel sprouts at the store, I’m totally making this because you combined two of my great loves: fruits and veggies.

I have so many St. Patrick’s Day stories….all of them great and some where I have no idea how I made it home. I’m pretty sure the Hubby helped with my memory loss, but also by putting me to bed. What can I say? I’m Irish, and it just so happens to be my birthday as well. Now that’s a party.

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    March 13, 2014 at 10:45 am

We all have those “never again” foods. Blah.
    I never thought to combine brussel sprouts and blueberries together. It looks so pretty! I love both so I’m game to try it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    March 13, 2014 at 10:39 am

Sorry that I laughed but I JUST – ahhh you’re too funny! But poor, poor girl. That must have felt terrible :–(
    These brussel sprout look delicious, and the blueberries addition is brilliant! xx

Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa
    March 12, 2014 at 9:36 am

I never thought of adding blueberries to my roasted brussels….but I can’t imagine it being anything short of delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

March 11, 2014 at 4:57 pm

St Patty’s Day horror stories include my senior year. I don’t remember it. But I’m sure it was nuts. I don’t do green beer because green food coloring scares me… despite the fact I love green foods. If I could marry spinach, I would. Has Canada made that legal yet?

March 11, 2014 at 5:00 pm

basically everything is legal here, but especially green plants ๐Ÿ˜‰

March 11, 2014 at 7:44 am

I never would have thought of this combination! But I love both foods, so obviously I’m sure they’d be amazing together.

The stomach flu on St. Patty’s Day/at a concert would be the worst! But hey at least there are lots of alternatives to green beer… margaritas, mojitos, green tinted apple-tinis!

My St. Patty’s Day horror story was from 4 years ago when a big group of like 15 of us decided to go out for all you can eat sushi on St. Patty’s Day after drinking all afternoon. Worst idea EVER!

Amanda
    March 11, 2014 at 12:04 am

This is such a weird combo that I never would’ve thought of putting together… but now that I’m hearing/seeing it together… I want to try it!!!

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    March 10, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Never would have thought to pair them together, but blueberries and brussels sprouts sound amazing! especially with rosemary. blueberries + rosemary is epic.

We called Queen’s housing area the “ghetto” too- run down houses with garbage everywhere. What an awesome area!

Green beer was never a thing in my life, and after hearing your story, I certainly won’t be testing it out!

Luv What You Do
    March 10, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I had the most amazing brussel sprouts in vegas and have been craving them since. We did make them once. Yum! I also have some delish blueberries in my fridge. Not a combo I ever would have thought to try but looks like fun!

Sarah Pie
    March 10, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Ugh hearing that story is bringing back my own memories… my college had an “Unofficial” St. Patrick’s day each year and lets just say somehow we managed to have a cop, three random boys, and a giant flaming torch in our apartment senior year all at the same time. Still not sure how any of us survived the night.

But anyways green beer aside this looks like an interesting combo, in the best of ways of course ๐Ÿ˜‰ at the least I may have to try it for the sweet and salty factor.

1 2 3 4 5