gluten-free sides vegan

Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries

March 10, 2014

I’ll be honest, I considered not posting this recipe. Why? Because it didn’t turn out so green. But it was a) too awesome not to share and b) if you can’t figure out that brussels sprouts are meant to be green then you should maybe crawl out from under your rock.

I’m posting it anyway.

In life I am a huge fan of green foods. It probably isn’t normal that I get overly excited about brussels sprouts and kale literally makes my heart flutter, but there are worse issues in the world to have. So I have a green food fetish…whatevs.

At the same time, I have come to discover that certain foods are not meant to be green. I’m looking at you green beer!

roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries

Let’s rewind to St. Patty’s Day 2010. I somehow had missed the boat on green beer in my prior 21 years and was determined to make up for it in one day. This my friends was a bad idea. In hindsight, the disasters that followed had absolutely nothing to do with the green beer, but I’m blaming it anyway.

You see I had a sidekick join me for my St. Patty’s Day Binge-drinkingfest. ESeids paid me a visit from SF and for having travelled all the way to Montreal to see me I knew I had to show her a good time. Fortunately I didn’t have to try hard since the entire McGill ghetto (yes this is what we call it) was out to play. We drank our green beers, gorged ourselves on pizza and passed out by 5:00 PM. GTs….

But then ESeids got sick. And no, we’re not talking alcohol sick, we’re talking THE STOMACH FLU. Which unfortunately terrorized her for 24 hours. I played nurse as best as I could and crossed my fingers so hard that I wouldn’t catch it. Despite it being clear that the green beer didn’t cause it, we blamed it anyway and vowed to never drink it again.

roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries 248 hours later, I was in the clear. Phew. ESeids had recovered and it was time to start raging once more. Apparently I’ve accumulated some bad karma because a few hours later I was hit hardcore by the stomach flu at a Calvin Harris concert. Let me tell you, the last thing you ever want to experience is the stomach flu at a rave. I can’t even begin to explain how this was one of the worst nights of my life. So I won’t.

Let’s just say the memory still haunts me in my dreams and green beer has been added alongside bacon to my foodie-hate list. Never again.

Roasted Rosemary Brussels Sprouts w/ Blueberries

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients (Serves: 4)

• 2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 1 pint blueberries
  • 3 T fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1.5 T olive oil
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl combine brussels sprouts, HALF of blueberries, and rosemary.

3. Top with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir so all brussels sprouts and blueberries are coated.

4. Spread evenly on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet.

5. Sprinkle with sea salt.

6. Bake for 15 mins.

7. Remove from oven and flip over.

8. Bake for another 10 mins.

9. Remove from oven and add in remainder of blueberries.

10. Serve warm.

Powered by Recipage
roasted rosemary brussels sprouts with blueberries 3

Any St. Patrick’s Day horror stories? What about bad food associations?

*Don’t forget you have up till Friday to post your GREEN recipe to be included in The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Link-Up!

The Zen Kat
    March 10, 2014 at 8:54 pm

What an interesting combo! I’m down to try it though. I’m like you- I love green foods! Nothing wrong with that!

Anna Kriegel
    March 10, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Love this story lol. I can’t believe you just posted this recipe because this past saturday night, I went out for dinner (at a BYOB place you’d be obsessed with) and had roasted brussels with strawberries and they were SO (shockingly) good and I imagine this is just the same. Also, if you have some spare time and feel like whipping up a healthy hamantashen recipe in honor of purim approaching (hi from your rabbi-friend), I would most certainly try it out! I’ve been on a quest to find one… LOVE YOU FOUR MORE DAYS

March 10, 2014 at 9:02 pm

ANSOOOOOO 1. There is so much more to this story and I will fill you in on all the deets on FRIDAY (sorry Eseids!) 2. Where is this restaurant??! I need strawbs and brussels in my face now. 3. Ugh why can’t hamentaschen be green?! Only posting green recipes this week…lame. 4. Check out Elana’s pantry for all kinds of Jewish Healthy Goodness (http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-raspberry-hamantaschen/) also Lexi’s Clean Kitchen is gonna be doing a bunch of passover recipes. She also happens to be Mike Davidson’s girlfriend (smallest world ever) and she’s also totally legit. 5)SEE YOU SO FREAKING SOON I COULD PEE MYSELF.

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    March 10, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Oh mannnn…..That does sound like a nightmare. *shiver* As I’m eating nothing but green food right now— avocado toast, brussels sprouts, spinach.
    I have a bad association with the green Marie Callendar’s frozen chicken pot pie box and the green chair on which I ate it, because that resulted in the worst food poisoning/stomach flu of my life. I’ve reconciled with the green chair because it’s super comfy, but not the Marie Callendar. Not at all.

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    March 10, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I love brussels sprouts but I would have never thought to have put blueberries with them! I am excited to give this recipe a try.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    March 10, 2014 at 7:28 pm

blueberries and Brussels? that’s a new one — hello cancer kickers!

March 10, 2014 at 5:30 pm

No bacon?!
    These look good – I love stuff with rosemary.
    And, I cannot (nor do I want to) imagine getting the stomach bug at a huge concert/rave – poor thing!!!

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    March 10, 2014 at 5:06 pm

So creative, Davida! These look great!

March 10, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Brussels and blueberries? Lady, you are brilliant. I don’t really have any St. Paddy’s day horror stories – I try to avoid going out on March 17th in London, because apparently London gets a little insane…hence why the only reason I have ever seen this city on National News was after the St. Patrick’s Day Riot on Fleming Drive a few years ago. Crazy college kids…

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    March 10, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Brussels and bluebs?! Damnnnn girl! I could eat pound on pound of both bluebs and brussells but I’ve never had the pleasure of eating them together. It’s alllll about to change!!!

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    March 10, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I wish I could make brussel sprouts more often, but Ryan has a pretty gnarly running story after eating them the night before. I’ll spare you that one. I threw up at a Zedd concert. I was on a new medication and we wolfed down In n’ Out before. I think it was the combo that had me keeled over the toilet while trying not to get kicked out. I was probably the only sober/non drugged out concert goer yakking in the bathroom. Now In n’ Out = bleh.

Courtney @RunningforCupcakes
    March 10, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I would never think to put blueberries and brussel sprouts together but I will definitely have to try it!!

Mary Frances
    March 10, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Talk about the worst time to get the flu! I will forever associate the worst cramps of my life with cheese and crackers – turns out I’m lactose intolerant. Oh well! Love this dish – your photos are beautiful! Like, WOW.

1 2 3 4 5