A fall-theme hummus recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus. You won’t believe how creamy this dip recipe turns out!
Confession: I spent way too much on squash at the farmer’s market purely to decorate my apartment with fall decor. It was hard to say if people thought I was totally crazy or just squash obsessed. Maybe I’m both…
At this point the farmer’s at the various markets I go to know me. Kind of like my friends at the grocery store who so kindly asked me to stop feeling up the avocados.
I have a complicated relationship with grocery shopping. I have a deep love for farmer’s markets but still respect the reliability of the grocery store. While I love getting my veggies fresh from the market, I can’t always guarantee that they will have what I am looking for. So I split my time 50/50 between the two. They don’t know about each other, so please don’t tell.
It’s kind of sad how much I take for granted my access to good quality food. There’s a farmer’s market across the street from me on Mondays, one that’s a short walk from my apartment on Thursdays and my local grocery store is only 4 blocks away.
I spend way too much time complaining about how all I want is to move away from city life, but living in a big city affords me so much accessibility that I might not otherwise have if I lived in the boonies. Then again I might have the space to grow my own food if I lived outside the city, but that’s a post for another day 😉
Back to the squash. I did indeed purchase 6 squashes that I intend only to use for decoration but I couldn’t resist roasting up some butternut squash. Most will make it’s way onto salads or in soups but I thought I would get creative with one and see how it tasted in hummus.
Guys….this is the creamiest hummus you will ever taste. The BNS does something to it that makes it silky smooth with a touch of sweetness to balance out the savoury. And you know me, I rarely take a second to discuss the actual recipe in a recipe post but I just needed to mention this #thesquashmademedoit.
And with that I am off to cheat on the farmer’s market with the grocery store…
Serves: 2 cups of hummus
- 1 1/2 cups roasted butternut squash (half of a 2.5 lb butternut squash)-directions for roasting below
- 1 1/2 T olive oil +1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (about one can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 2 T tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 T water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/16 tsp cumin
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds.*
- Rub 1 tsp of olive oil over insides of butternut squash (1/2 tsp on each).
- Place olive oil-rubbed-side down on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once cooled, scoop out 1 1/2 cups worth.
- Add butternut squash, 1 1/2 T olive oil, chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon and water to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Add in spices and blend until well-combined.
- Serve with veggies, crackers or dipping of choice.
- Will keep in fridge for up to 1 week.