Get your seasonal pumpkin fix with the nuttiness of almond butter in these delicious, gluten-free and vegan pumpkin almond butter breakfast cookies!
Believe it or not, I was a good student. In fact I may even go as far as to say I’m better at being a student than anything else I’ve been in my life. I may not be the smartest tool in the shed but I’ve always had great work ethic. Actually, I’ve always had kind of crazy work ethic.
In university, I worked my butt off. I never really saw the benefit in extracurriculars so I pretty much put all of my effort into studying. The irony is not lost on me that I ended up in a profession where my grades are completely useless…But I’m still pretty proud of my GPA.
I actually think I garnered somewhat of a reputation for my studying habits. 90% of the time I could be found either in the library or at a coffee shop, listening to my lectures (I got lucky and they were all recorded. GO MCGILL!) or writing my neurotically organized and colour-coded notes. I actually saved my old notebooks from every single class for a while there because I thought they looked so pretty!
Considering my schedule, I was pretty good about bringing food along and eating a relatively healthy diet (note: thank you Mom for stocking my freezer full of soups) though come final season all that went out the window. While most of my friends were living off of Timmy Ho’s bagels, I became a proud member of the Second Cup Breakfast Cookie club.
If you’re not familiar with Second Cup, it’s a Canadian chain of coffee shops that despite the stronghold Starbucks has on the market has managed to stay alive. I actually don’t have a preference between Second Cup and Starbucks, I only mention it because one of their shops was open 24 hours and that’s how I ended up becoming a member of the club.
As I said, extracurriculars weren’t my thing so I wouldn’t describe this “club” in the formal sense. It was more of a “grunt at each other at 4:30 AM as we crammed for our 3 hour final while chugging espresso and fuelling on breakfast cookies” kind of club. Yes, you read that correctly. I was studying at 4:30 AM.
Rain, shine or snowmaggedon (which is essentially everyday in Montreal), if I had a final I was up at 4:30 AM to study. For whatever reason I found a lot of peace and productivity at that time. Now, I would never describe myself as a morning person and I am certainly not waking up at that ungodly hour now but I took being a student VERY seriously so if it meant waking up at 4:30 AM to get myself a 4.0 you better bet I would do it.
As I read this I’m realizing that a) this work ethic has seemingly disappeared and I’m wondering where it’s gone, b) I kind of miss those breakfast cookies hence the Pumpkin Almond Butter version I am posting today and c) you must think I am bat-shit crazy.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a student, waking up at 4:30 AM or absolutely bonkers, you need these breakfast cookies in your life.
Serves: 10 cookies
- 1 cup oat flour (ground rolled oats- gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice (I used my DIY Blend)
- 2 T ground flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 cup toppings e.g. chocolate chips, chopped almonds, dried coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, rolled oats, baking soda, ground flax, pumpkin spice and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine pumpkin, almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until well combined.
- Form dough into 10 medium sized balls, place on cookie sheet and then flatten with palm to form discs.
- Add toppings of choice and press into tops of cookies
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on a wire rack.
- Will keep for several days in an airtight container or freeze for several months.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!