Whether you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Day or any day, these Matcha Green Tea Chocolate Chip Cookies will answer your green cookie dreams! They’re taking chocolate chip cookies up to a whole new level. Plus they’re gluten-free!
If these cookies aren’t a tip off that St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, then you are either not as big a fan of St. Paddy’s Day as I am, or your eyes have frozen shut in this arctic tundra weather.
I feel pretty strongly that green food ought to be eaten all day every day, but for obvious reasons I am sharing these today. They’ve also got me reminiscing on past St. Paddy’s Day debaucheries…
In my 25 years I have accumulated my fair share of St. Paddy’s Day stories. From infamous green beer food poisoning with Eseids (it totally wasn’t the green beer but drinking it certainly didn’t help) to passing out well before 6:00 PM every year, St. Paddy’s Day has yet to disappoint.
I love any holiday where it’s acceptable to day drink and be in bed at a reasonable hour. I also love coming up with natural ways to colour food, so basically St. Paddy’s Day is my jam. Green pancakes anyone?
I strongly suspect that this year will be no different. Considering I will be celebrating in the heartland of St. Patrick, this is just about guaranteed.
This year C and I will be visiting our best friends who are currently living in Dublin. When the fantastic four are together, it is always an epic time but when you throw in the whole throngs of people drinking on the streets of Ireland I’m gonna guess that this trip is going to be one for the memory books.
These Matcha Green Tea Chocolate Chip Cookies were made in prep for the trip. I needed to get my green cookies down so I could pack a suitcase full of them for Sab and Sam, and I wanted to make sure that matcha in cookies tastes as awesome as they sound. FTR, they do.
Sab loves her green tea ice cream and chocolate is her faveeeee so these were made entirely for her! I’ll keep you guys posted on how they go over, if I make it out alive…
Serves: 20 cookies
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking soda, sea salt and coconut sugar.
- In a separate bowl combine coconut oil, applesauce, egg and vanilla.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- Stir in matcha powder.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Scoop out balls and flatten onto a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet.
- Place 1 tray into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat until all batter has been used.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.