Ever wondered how to make homemade nut flours? From almond meal to almond flour, hazelnut meal and even cashew meal, this step-by-step tutorial will teach you how!
How are we five months into my Healthy How-To Kitchen Hacks series?! NUTS! Speaking of nuts…
I asked you guys on Facebook which how-to nut series you wanted to see first?
1) Nut flours
2) Nut Milks
3) Nut Butters
It was actually a close call between all 3 but nut flours came out on top. My guess for why they won out is because nut flours can be so insanely expensive that it’s actually more worthwhile to make them at home just to save yourself a couple of bucks. Over time it really does add up!
From almond meal, to almond flour (yes they’re different..), to cashew meal and hazelnut meal, nut flours come in all sorts of varieties and can make an awesome low-carb and grain-free alternative to standard grain flours.
Today I’m walking you through the process on how to make them at home using your blender. It literally takes 10 seconds and while the nuts themselves certainly aren’t cheap, it’s substantially cheaper than the jacked-up prices you often see for nut flours in stores.
Technically if the skin is still on the nut it is considered a “meal” rather than flour, but a huge kitchen hack to make ALMOND FLOUR is to just buy slivered or sliced blanched almonds and grind those! So much easier and cheaper than buying almond flour or blanching the almonds yourself.
So grab your blender and let’s get nuts! How many nut jokes do you think I can get away with in this post?
Serves: 2 cups nut flour
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 2 cups blanched almonds (whole, slivered or sliced)
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- Place almonds in blender and blend on high for 10 seconds or just until almonds are broken up but do not blend for long enough that they become "butter-like" consistency.
- Place blanched almonds in blender and blend on high for 10 seconds or just until almonds are broken up but do not blend for long enough that they become "butter-like" consistency
- Place cashews in blender and blend on high for 8 seconds or just until cashews are broken up but do not blend for long enough that they become "butter-like" consistency
- Place hazelnuts in blender and blend on high for 12 seconds or just until hazelnuts are broken up but do not blend for long enough that they become "butter-like" consistency
Wondering what to do with all this nut flour? Here are some delicious recipes from The Healthy Maven and beyond made with nut flours!
Gluten-Free Hazelnut Pancakes from The Roasted Root (hazelnut meal)
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Gnocchi from Heartbeet Kitchen (almond flour)
Grain-Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins from The Healthy Maven (almond meal)
Grain-Free Sugar Cookie Cut-outs from Fit Foodie Finds (cashew meal)
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Scones from All Day I Dream About Food (hazelnut meal)
Paleo English Muffins from Running to the Kitchen (almond or cashew meal)
Paleo Lemon Poppyseed Muffins from The Healthy Maven (almond flour)
Paleo Mocha Almond Pancakes from The Healthy Maven (almond meal)
The Best Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from The Healthy Maven (almond meal)
Zesty Chicken Bites from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen (almond meal)