Get in your greens with this healthy and delicious Blueberry Green Smoothie Bowl recipe. Once you try eating a smoothie with a spoon, you will ditch the straw for life!
I was shooting freelance for a brand one time who was unhappy that the green smoothie recipe I had developed for them was in fact purple. I didn’t know how to explain to them that the smoothie included a cup of kale, a cup of spinach, spirulina (their request…not mine haha) and avocado and couldn’t possibly become more green.
Except that it really was purple…
So before y’all attack me for my purple-green smoothie bowl, remember that looks can be deceiving. Plus no one likes a smoothie racist.
In actuality, I wanted to call this “The Healthy Maven’s go-to smoothie bowl” but I was told that sounded arrogant and I needed to snap out of my oh she glows moment. I’m just desperate for smoothie fame.
The truth is that this is my go-to smoothie bowl because it is the only smoothie bowl I have ever made. I’ve always been intrigued by the concept of smoothie bowls but always thought they were a little too basic.
…and then I realized that eating my smoothie out of a cup with a spoon is the same thing.
I also have never been a huge smoothie person. Mainly because I can’t handle cold first thing in the morning. But my friend Alexis has witch-powers and convinced me by doing absolutely nothing other than being her bad-ass self to try them.
After asking a million and 1 people about their favorite plant-based protein powder (review coming soon), I finally set forth to create my go-to smoothie bowl that wouldn’t create an arctic tundra in my mouth, help me get my greens in and up my protein first thing in the meaning.
And honestly, I kind of feel amazing starting my day with it. It’s filling, nutritious, full of greens and protein and better yet, tastes awesome.
But most importantly, I can now officially enter the cool club that is the smoothie-bowl Instagram elite. Get ready for a perfect alignment of superfoods, wooden spoons and delicate hand-placement.
I’ve never felt more alive!
Serving size: 1
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder (I used Vega + Greens)
- 1/2 large banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4-1/2 cup almond milk (start with 1/4 cup and add more if your blender needs it)
- 1/4 avocado
- 2 cups greens (I use spinach, arugula and kale)
- Some topping suggestions: Almond/Peanut Butter, granola, chia seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds etc...
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until well-combined. If you prefer an even thicker smoothie, add in a couple of ice cubes.
- Top with desired toppings and serve in a bowl.