Sweet and crispy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Waffles for the ultimate weekend brunch! These gluten-free and healthy waffles made from wholesome ingredients will become your new go-to breakfast recipe.
People have been asking me how I manage to stay afloat while managing my non-stop travel schedule. The truth is, I don’t. Sure, I have tips and tricks that make travelling A LOT easier, but it’s those rare moments when I’m home that I actually struggle with most.
Part of surviving the on-the-road lifestyle, means accepting that life is transient. You get used to constantly being on-the-go, to hustling to get your work done and truly embracing the work-hard, play-hard attitude.
But then once it all stops and you find yourself sitting in your apartment on a Saturday morning feeling anxious that you have nothing to do, you realize that maybe this kind of lifestyle isn’t sustainable.
I’m pretty sure this is why they call it “the travel bug”.
To those who know me well, it’s not at all surprising that the thing I have the most trouble with is relaxing. I’m not a particularly “chill” person. Sure, I love a good Netflix binge but generally I prefer to be doing something, anything, even if sitting back and doing nothing is a far more productive use of my time.
But at least I’m aware of it, right?
First step is admitting you have a problem…
The rest of the day was spent in bed, watching Trainwreck for the 3rd time and sleeping for about 18 hours.
I didn’t get any work done, I wasn’t exploring a new city or off on some hiking adventure. Just me, C and a surprisingly successful attempt at “chilling out”. And you know what? The world didn’t come crashing down. The internet didn’t break. Just a badass business woman learning how to relax.
Not bad…not bad at all.
Serves: 4-5 waffles
- 2 cups oat flour*
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (plus more for waffle maker)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (plus more as it thickens)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips)
- Combine oat flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine banana, coconut oil, egg, almond milk and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips. Let mixture sit for 5 mins.
- Heat up waffle maker and spray or brush with coconut oil.
- Add additional almond milk to mixture if too thick (no more than a 1/4 cup).
- Add a 1/3 cup of batter to your waffle maker and cook according to waffle maker instructions.
- Repeat until all batter is used - will make 4-5 waffles depending on size of waffle maker.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, nut butter or toppings of choice.
- Let cool and freeze if not eating immediately.
Do you struggle with slowing down? Tips for disconnecting?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!