appetizers gluten-free paleo

Rosemary Cashew Bar Nuts

April 16, 2013
 I mentioned in yesterdays weekend recap that my Mom was hosting a dinner/birthday party on Saturday night. Generally if any sort of party involving food is being hosted in my house I will be asked to contribute my culinary skills…even if i’m not invited!
Fortunately I am happy to help especially if it means some kitchen experimentation. I made two appetizers and a dessert recipe all of which I am told were huge hits. Since no one at the party was gluten-free I took this as an opportunity to create some indulgent and very glutenous food. Not that gluten-free food isn’t indulgent or delicious…otherwise I would have nothing to blog about.

An easy appetizer recipe with just 6 ingredients. Perfect for serving at a dinner party when you're strapped for time and need a quick and easy recipe!It’s funny how sometimes the recipes with the fewest steps end up being the most delicious. This was definitely the case when I tried these Rosemary Cashew Bar Nuts. C’s mom was the one who introduced me to them when I was visiting Minnesota in 2011. I could not stop eating them and asked if she could pass along the recipe.

Fortunately she happily passed it along and it turns out it was by the one and only Barefoot Contessa. I seriously think that Ina Garten has the magic touch. Her recipes always turn out perfectly. Unfortunately this meant that I now knew how to make these myself and they are addictive! I have an incredibly hard time exerting willpower when it comes to this appetizer. If these are around I am generally full before the meal. Hopefully your dinner guests will have more self-restraint than I do but regardless they will love this recipe. And they’re gluten-free.
 These are the perfect combination of sweet and spicy with the added depth of the rosemary. Truly a fantastic appetizer for any dinner party. If you’re worried about too many leftovers you can halve the recipe or do what I do and pawn them off on guests as they leave! Though I did save a secret stash for myself…not that they lasted more than a day.

Rosemary Cashew Bar Nuts

Cook Time 15 mins

• 4 cups of cashews (roasted or follow instructions below if raw)
  • 2 T fresh rosemary, minced
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 1.5 tsp coarse sea salt
  • 1 T butter (or coconut oil)

1. *Skip this step if cashews are already roasted. Set oven at 350 degrees F. Spread out cashews on a baking sheet and roast for 10 mins.
  2. Add everything except butter and mix to combine.
  3. Melt butter and add to cashews and spices.
  4. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Do you typically serve appetizers at your dinner parties? What are your go-to recipes? Any other Ina Garten fans out there?

Tara
    April 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Hi Davida!
    Stopping by your blog for the first time! I love how you have the recipe inserted right into your blog! You will have to teach me how to do that! LOL!!! Looking forward to connecting in the near future! Cheers, Tara 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
    April 17, 2013 at 12:40 am

Thanks Tara! I am such a fan of your blog and so happy we were able to connect! I used Recipage to insert the recipe right into the blog. It takes a bit more time to put together each recipe but it organizes everything for you which I love (says the neat-freak in me). Happy to show you how it works! Be in touch 🙂

Sarah Ohm
    April 17, 2013 at 1:21 am

Nice work Davida! 🙂 Looks amazing!

Kathryn
    February 27, 2014 at 8:29 am

We are a paleo household. Do you have any suggestions for substitutions on the coconut palm sugar/brown sugar? We typically sub honey or agave as a sweetener, but I’m uncertain how this would work in your recipe?

February 27, 2014 at 8:33 am

Hi Kathryn! You could definitely try subbing some honey and decreasing the butter or coconut oil otherwise they may be too wet. Let me know how it goes! Hope you enjoy 🙂

Kathryn
        February 27, 2014 at 8:36 am

Thanks, Davida!! We will give it a shot and let you know 🙂

Laurie
    May 9, 2014 at 6:24 pm

So glad I looked at the post for these nuts. B and I are hosting a wine and appetizer shindig at the end of June. He (cue my feigning fainting) suggested we buy appetizers. As if. I’ve made baked brie, but wanted something more portable and was going to look for a recipe just like the brie in the phyllo tarts. Now, I know the proportions. As a total non-segway, but relevant in that it involves food is that the Sr VP of my department and I thought it would be fun to do a department potluck with a Chopped flair. So we picked various items and wrote them on a piece of paper with a course…so, for example, I got Main Course:Pistachios. My co-worker got Appetizer: Anchovy paste. I couldn’t help but add Dessert: Spinach. HA. It’s gonna be fun. One person is our department (He heads up training and development for the company) was a former pastry chef. Now, at least I have one easy appetizer on my list.

May 9, 2014 at 6:34 pm

That is amazing!!! Chopped is my favourite show on the food network. I’ve always wanted to go on it but am too nervous to apply! I’m curious to see what they do with the spinach. Btw anchovy paste is the best addition to salad dressings. That and montreal steak seasoning. My mom’s ideas. She’s really the one who should go on chopped!

Jessica's Dinner Party
    May 12, 2014 at 5:11 am

Love bar nuts and cashews even more!
    Jessica’s Dinner Party recently posted…The Stray Financier