chips Fall gluten-free paleo snacks vegan

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

September 24, 2013

I’ve already declared my love for Bare Apple Chips once before but I think it’s necessary I say it again. I LOVE THESE CHIPS. There must be crack in them because I am totally addicted. I know Amanda and Arman agree. The problem? The price tag. At the rate I am eating them-and I can down a bag in under 5 minutes-the $4 price tag just doesn’t fly. It was necessary I take things into my own hands (or kitchen) and recreate this deliciousness at home.

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips- no dehydrator required! // thehealthymaven.comThanks to a recent trip to the apple orchard, I have enough apples to last me through the next century. You can never have enough apples though. Some have been designated as raw snacking, others will make their way into pancakes and oatmeal and a select few I sacrificed to the oven. To be honest I was weary that these would not work out. With my many failed attempts at kale chips I thought a dehydrator might be required. Turns out all you need is an oven and 3 hours of patience. But don’t let the time dismay you, this is 3 hours of fairly hands-off cooking. I say fairly because you will be required to turn over the chips once after hour one. I think you can handle that.
Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips- no dehydrator required! // thehealthymaven.com

Besides finding a cheap way to satisfy my apple chip addiction, these are also the perfect candidate for Amy’s Fruit & Veggie of the Month Link-Up. I’ll be honest, in the delirious state I’ve been in this past week I completely forgot about it. I think the fact that I posted a week early for the last month’s link-up makes up for my posting a week late for this month’s right? Forgive me Amy! Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s apple and pepper creations!

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

PREP TIME 5 mins
Serves 1-2     adjust servings

• 2 apples (I used McIntosh)
  • cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 230 degrees F.
  2. Core apples and slice thinly.
  3. Place thinly sliced apples on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
  4. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon.
  5. Bake apples for 1 hour.
  6. Remove from oven and flip apples. Sprinkle other side with cinnamon.
  7. Bake for another hour.
  8. Leave apples in oven but turn the oven off and allow them to cool completely inside oven. At least 1-2 hours. They will crisp up in this time.
  9. Store in an airtight container.

Notes

Recipe adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction

Is there a snack you spend way too much money on? What’s your favourite way to eat apples?

Karen
    September 24, 2013 at 9:58 am

YUM! I love apple chips but they are so expensive! This sounds so simple and easy to make 🙂
    Karen @karenlovestorun

September 24, 2013 at 10:15 am

Thank you so much for this- such a coincidence, they finally bring them to australia and you save me mullah 😉 legend!

I guess in the past, protein bars used to cop the brunt of my spending, but these days I have some awesome recipes to fulfil those needs 😉

September 24, 2013 at 10:43 am

Oh girl, can I ever relate to forking out way too much money for these. Ugh. I’ve thought about making my own, but I’m not sure if the energy that I’d have to use to keep the stove going for 2 hours would actually save me money in the end or not. Instead I just wait for them to go on sale and stock up lol.

September 25, 2013 at 12:33 am

2 hours on 230 would likely still be cheaper than one of those bags! If they weren’t so good I’d go on strike for this prices!

charlotte @ commitness to fitness
    September 24, 2013 at 11:20 am

ooohhh i love this! its so simple (even i could do this!) its amazing they charge an arm and a leg for them by the bag! in fact i bet yours are even better than store bought. i just stocked up on apples too, so this is going to have to be one of the recipes i try! 🙂

September 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

These look so good! I saw those Bare Apple Chips at a store one time and I considered buying them because Amanda is always raving about them on her blog, but when I saw the price tag, I passed them up. But now I have a cheaper alternative – yay!

I spend way too much money on The Good Bean Granola bars. They’re like $3.00 a bar, but they’re the only good nut free bar I can find, so I suck it up and buy them.

PS. I have to ask – where in your house do you take your photos and how do you set up the space? Your pics look so good!

September 25, 2013 at 12:35 am

I take them in my kitchen and improvise. The background is a slate cheese board and I put some parchment down. We also have these white screens that cover the windows in my kitchen which helps to filter light. To be honest it’s hit or miss. Sometimes the pictures turn out amazing and other times my camera makes me cry. Also I use a DSLR which helps!

softserveandsquats.com
    September 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I’ve never heard of Bare Apple Chips, but it’s crazy how expensive some fruit chips can be.These look absolutely delicious! I’m definitely going to try this when I’ve got some extra apples on hand!

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    September 24, 2013 at 11:58 am

Oh my gosh these look amazinggggg! So so glad they turned out so well. And seriously gorge photos!!! I am going to locate my apple corer from my Boston boxes and get on this stat.

Madison
    September 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm

These look awesome! SO simple and healthy. 🙂 I spend too much money on granola bars because I eat atleast 7 a week. AH!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    September 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Ok I love this! It sounds delicious and I want to make it!! The only thing I’m concerned about it trying to slice the apples so thinly. I spend a lot of money on fresh juices because I absolutely cannot have a juicer in my apartment and I would be way too lazy to make my own!

September 25, 2013 at 12:35 am

I have ZERO knife skills and had no problem slicing these. They don’t need to be razor thin. They shrink in the oven!

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    September 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm

My mom used to sprinkle cinnamon on apple slices as my school snack to prevent me from seeing that the apple had turned brown. It definitely is my favourite combination and I now enjoy baking apples with cinnamon or sweetening my homemade applesauce with cinnamon! I’ve never actually tried that brand of apple chips because I can never seem to find them ANYWHERE. I think I should just stick to your recipe so to save my wallet though. Yum! Did you find that the chips became crisp enough? In past when I’ve done them they’ve always been a bit mushy! Maybe I just wasn’t patient enough!

September 25, 2013 at 12:36 am

Make sure you do the last step where you leave them in the oven with the oven off! That’s when they crisp up!

James
    September 24, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Oh I love any recipe that only has 2 ingredients! Harder for me to screw up :). And, I would crush these in a second too. Apple chips are one of my favorite snacks. Many bags have not survived more than an hour after getting into my hands ha.

September 25, 2013 at 12:37 am

These are pretty fool proof! Also the serving size on those bags make no sense. As if I can put the bag down once I start!

Dixya
    September 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm

im so going to try this. 🙂 this is perfect for snacking,

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    September 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

These look JUST like the ones in the bag! So glad you found a way to reproduce your favorite snack. I agree, $4 is def too much for something that gets eaten so quickly 🙂

September 25, 2013 at 12:38 am

In the amount of time it takes me to consume these (under 5 mins) $4 is NOT worth it!

September 24, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Um, hello my little professional photographer!! These pictures are amazing!!! I can only imagine that the apple chips are just as good. I have been wanting to try this, actually, but haven’t for two reasons – 1) I’m just bad with a knife, and I’m not sure I could cut these thinly enough and 2) it’s been so hot that the thought of having my oven on for hours has deterred me. I might need to get over number one since number two is no longer a problem and try these bad boys.

Thanks for linking up!! 🙂

September 25, 2013 at 12:38 am

Honestly I have no idea how these pictures turned out so well. I guess I got lucky!!!

The oven is on 230 so it doesn’t heat up too much. But yes cooler temps make it more feasible.
      Thanks for hosting us lovely!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I’ve always wondered how to make apple chips! I discovered the packaged kind a few years ago and went through a quick addiction period. Then I realized you could make them yourself and spend less money, but I never tried. Thanks for this!

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    September 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I could definitely handle three hours of baking with one flip in between! I tried making banana chips this way once and it was awful…. They were soggy and sticky and messy (maybe because of the amount of sugar in bananas?). These seem doable though so yipee! Also, I love how you talked about the apples – you sacrificed them to the oven! You are too adorable. I buy veggie chips that cost about $5 a bag which is super excessive so I only buy them like, once or twice a month. 🙂

September 25, 2013 at 12:39 am

I have faith you can handle these!! No clue how they make banana chips but damnnnn those are good! Also have you ever tried beet chips??? Those are amazeballs!

September 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

These look so good! I’ve tried to make banana chips before, but that failed miserably so maybe I’ll have better luck with apples 😉 I’ve only ever seen the Barefruit chips in Granny Smith, which are basically the only apple that I’m not a big fan of…although I stole a chip or two from Amanda at HLS and I can see why people get obsessed with them.

September 25, 2013 at 12:40 am

I think the fact that these were freshly picked McIntoshes helped with their deliciousness 🙂

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    September 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Love all the fall recipes lately 😀

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    September 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Haha I can see how you would be sucked into buying them! They sound so yummy – but these also look delicious!

I’ve gotten pretty good at not buying snacks I can make myself – I try to only buy them if I’m in a pinch and really need something.

eatgreatbegreat
    September 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Love this idea! What a perfect healthy snack to take to work!

Brittany
    September 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I love homemade creations of expensive store finds!! These look AMAZING!

Run like a G!
    September 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm

How easy is that????!?!?
    Making these!!!!

September 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm

These look good!!
    Could I do the same thing in my dehydrator?
    And how do you slice the apples so thinly – I’m pretty sure I will end up cutting myself!

September 25, 2013 at 12:41 am

You could definitely use a dehydrator! Couldn’t tell you exactly how since I don’t own one but the Bare Chips are dehydrated.

They don’t need to be razor thin and with a sharp knife and some careful hands you should be fine!

Sarah Cook
    September 24, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I’ve never tried apple chips before but I’m positive I would love them. I think they would be great dipped in peanut butter. Beautiful pictures too. That stacking job is pretty impressive! 🙂

September 25, 2013 at 12:43 am

I dipped them in AB and they were like heaven in my mouth! I have no idea how the pics turned out so well…my lucky day I guess!

Alisha @ AlishasAppetite
    September 24, 2013 at 7:11 pm

omgomgomg!!! Thank you for this! I tried making these a few years back and it was a total disaster- I will give this technique a try. They look awesome!

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    September 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm

These look great! I ADORE apple chips and I can’t wait to try these!

Kierston @candyfit
    September 24, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Oh I love apple chips! I enjoy making them with my chip making gadget

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    September 25, 2013 at 1:57 am

So in love with homemade apple chips!! I could snack on this all day long!!

Paige Podbelsek
    September 25, 2013 at 2:28 am

What a perfect snack! Looks great 🙂

September 25, 2013 at 3:35 am

Thanks for reminding me that I LOVE apple chips!! Such a yummy, easy, healthy & light snack!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    September 25, 2013 at 3:42 am

These are great!! Apple chips are amazing, but always way overpriced! Thanks girl! 🙂

kumars kitchen
    September 25, 2013 at 7:18 am

wow…Your crispy good recipe has just made us drool over them…we have had these sweet tart cinnamony goodness a while ago and this looks even more tempting than what we had…so going to make these for the weekend,thanks for the recipe 🙂

kumars kitchen
    September 25, 2013 at 7:19 am

Paula
    September 25, 2013 at 8:33 am

Need to try this..

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    September 26, 2013 at 10:51 am

Omg, Amanda totally got me hooked on those apple chips too! I got lucky and snagged a HUGE bag from TJ Maxx on clearance! Marked down to $7 from $10! Woo hoo! Of course, as soon as I got home, I hid them from myself! 😉 Of course, my REAL problem is the amount of money I spend on Quest bars! And seriously?! They should pay me for all the free advertising the man-friend and I give them! Lol

Tina @ Tinas Chic Corner
    September 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I’ve seen many baked apple chip recipes out there but I must say that yours looks the best by far! These are a perfect healthy snack this time of year. 🙂

veganmiam.com
    September 26, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I was thinking about the same thing for a bag of kale chips – I can make kale chips at home and some don’t require a dehydrator at all! Glad to know that these scrumptious apple chips don’t need one!

Love What You Do
    September 27, 2013 at 3:27 am

OMG! I want to make these SO BAD!

Christina @ Pinch of Healthy
    September 27, 2013 at 11:54 am

I’ve wanting to make apple chips forever,so addictive!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    September 27, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Yum these look so good!! I’ve been loving making my own oven dried things like tomatoes etc, now I need to try these out too 🙂

Erin S
    October 6, 2013 at 11:33 pm

This recipe makes me very excited to go apple picking! Thanks for linking-up to 5-Ingredient Mondays. I’m featuring your recipe this week. Hope to see you back 🙂

Anonymous
    October 20, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Would these work with pears? They look great!

Michelle McLaughlin
    October 23, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Thank you for posting. What a fabulous idea for using the apples we picked AND making a delicious snack for my boys. How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container? I plan to make many to have on hand for awhile. Have you tried freezing them?

October 25, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Mine kept for up to a week. I’m not sure about longer or freezing them but if you give it a try let me know!

Best of THM 2013 - The Healthy Maven
    December 27, 2013 at 5:01 am

[…] Banana Protein Pancakes 1. Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips 2. Apple Pie Bites 3. No-Bake Mint Chocolate Protein […]

Pumpkin Porridge [WIAW 15] ‹ The Little Honey Bee
    February 9, 2014 at 8:11 am

[…] Apple chips [recipe] […]

7 Things I Ate Last Week | The Lyons' Share Wellness
    February 27, 2014 at 2:06 pm

[…] Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips from The Healthy Maven: WOW, if you have time to cook these for 3 hours, please do it now!  These tasted just like those expensive-but-delicious apple chips that I love to buy, and the only ingredients are apples and cinnamon!  A great, fun, Fall snack. […]

Rosemary Kinkade
    May 31, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I JUST tasted these after coming out of the cold oven and they taste JUST like the bag of apple chips sitting on the counter. So excited because the kids love them and I think I can wean them off the fruit snacks finally! I did half with cinnamon and half plain and they really do taste just like the bare snacks. Thank goodness, because even ordering 2 big bags on Amazon Subscribe and Save was obscenely expensive.
    Thank you!! Can’t wait to try it with some other fruit!
    Rosemary Kinkade recently posted…Really, Dunkin Donuts?

June 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm

anytime Rosemary! I’m so happy you and the kiddos enjoyed them 🙂 Crazy how expensive those apple chips are!

Chaser
    July 15, 2014 at 6:37 pm

These are delicious! I suggest cutting the apple slices very thin to make them crispy. Thicker slices are a little chewy and tough. This is so very good! Excellent recipe. It just doesn’t make enough!

Millie
    September 21, 2014 at 12:16 am

These were so easy! A mandolin makes the slicing process SO easy, if you don’t cut up your fingers in the process! Thanks for the recipe, Millie

September 21, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Fabulous!! I need to get me a mandolin! Happy you enjoyed 🙂

Elizabeth
    September 21, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Just finished making these this afternoon! Delicious…and almost gone! my kids loved them 🙂

Apple Making | stargirlwonders
    October 9, 2014 at 8:59 am

[…] First up: apple chips from this recipe. […]

Steve Lassoff
    December 1, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Such an easy and delicious snack! I shared this in a blog here: http://wedigfood.com/food-for-thought/10-vegan-apple-recipes-for-fall. I am building a community of vegans and would love for you to hop over and share a recipe.
    Steve Lassoff recently posted…steven lassoff posted a blog post

Gluten-Free and Peanut-Free School Snacks | Easily Paleo...
    January 29, 2015 at 5:29 pm

[…] Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips (courtesy of The Healthy Maven) […]

108 Blog
    September 8, 2016 at 3:37 am

Kinkade Faith For All Seasons Wallet

[…] them from myself! 😉 Of course, my REAL problem is the amount of money I spen […]

Awareness Blog
    February 17, 2017 at 4:04 am

Kinkade Faith For All Seasons

[…] ourse, my REAL problem is the amount of money I spend on Quest bars! And serious […]

Plus Reviews Blog
    June 21, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Cinnamon Apple Spice 20

[…] as soon as I got home, I hid them from myself! 😉 Of course, my REAL problem […]