gluten-free paleo salads sides vegan

Cauliflower Tabbouleh

October 23, 2013

Let’s start today off with a quick vocabulary lesson.

Ma·ven n.: a trusted expert in a particular field, who seeks to pass knowledge on to others. The word maven comes from Hebrew, via Yiddish, and means one who understands, based on an accumulation of knowledge.

Also known as…a know-it-all. But here’s where the lesson gets interesting. The other day I was talking to my Dad about my blog name. He mentioned how he thought it was accurate, because I can be a total know-it-all (in the worst way), and also for the whole Jewish aspect. I was honestly stumped when he brought up the Jewish part. Moral of the story is that I am a supposed know-it-all who didn’t know the roots of her own blog name. Fail.

Cauliflower Tabbouleh // thehealthymaven.comWhile we’re on the topic of Jews I thought I’d share a recipe with you from my people. Well actually I’d planned to share a recipe from my people until this maven discovered that tabbouleh is in fact a Lebanese dish. Fail #2.

So let’s try this again. Today I am sharing a Lebanese dish that has nothing to do with my peeps, but I tried it for the first time in Israel and unknowingly went about spreading the word that it was Jewish food. I’m starting to think I may need to change my blog name.

Cauliflower Tabbouleh // thehealthymaven.comWhile my knowledge in most aspects of life seems to be entirely off, I still managed to create this awesome recipe. Forgive me. Thank you Dad for educating me on my own blog name and for suggesting I add cumin to the recipe. Maybe you should start a blog too. The Maven Dad? I’ll get working on it…

Cauliflower Tabbouleh

Serves 6-8     adjust servings

• 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
  • 1 bunch green onions, white and green parts (about 1 cup)
  • 1 cup chopped mint
  • 1 cup chopped parsley
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • pepper, to taste

1. Place florets in food processor and pulse several times until "couscous" consistency is reached.
  2. Place "riced" cauliflower into a large bowl.
  3. Add chopped onion, parsley, mint, cucumber and tomato.
  4. Coat with olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper.
  5. Place in an airtight container or cover bowl with saran wrap and allow tabbouleh to sit overnight (or at least 6 hours).
  6. Serve cold.

Cauliflower Tabbouleh // thehealthymaven.com

Have you ever unknowingly gone around spreading lies?

What are some traditional foods you grew up with?

*If you’re in the mood to show me some love I’d be thrilled if you voted for my Gluten-Free Baked Pumpkin Donut Holes in the Once A Month 4 Ladies Pumpkin Recipe Contest HERE.

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    October 23, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hehe I love Jewish joking and Dad joking. This made me smile at 5:27am 🙂 (oh and I definitely thought tabbouleh was Israeli or Morrocan Jew at least) Lebanese?! Okay…

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 23, 2013 at 9:58 am

Right or wrong about the dish, I think your blog name fits you perfectly! What a pretty side dish! Heading over to vote for your pumpkin donut holes.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 23, 2013 at 10:50 am

haha! hilarious!! regardless of its origin, tabbouleh IS YUMMY!! for some reason, i thought it came from the middle east. i guess we’re all history failures! 😀

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    October 23, 2013 at 11:09 am

Oh Davida, you never cease to put a smile on my face! You should just hang out with me because I am so gullible I would believe anything you said! 🙂 The dish looks amazing- wherever it’s from! 🙂

October 25, 2013 at 8:25 pm

hahaha Heather I gotta be careful that I don’t start feeding you lies by accident!

October 23, 2013 at 11:14 am

Voted for ya! And I totally would have believed you about tabbouleh being Jewish — I know nothing about it, and don’t even think that I’ve actually ever had any O.o

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    October 23, 2013 at 11:27 am

I’ll definitely go vote for you! 🙂

Joanne
    October 23, 2013 at 11:50 am

I definitely had no idea “maven” stems from a Jewish word either, so you’re not alone! And I feel like tabbouleh is generally a middle eastern thing, so it must have some roots in Israel!

elise @ cheers yall
    October 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm

this looks SO good and healthy!!!

xx
    elise

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 23, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I may or may not also be a huge know-it-all. Somewhere in my childhood I developed the habit of stating my opinions as if they are facts, even if I’m completely guessing. I’m not sure if it’s tone or attitude or a combination but it became a problem. I didn’t notice until college when I would make crazy speculations in response to my friend’s questions and get the reaction “oh wow I never knew that!” Uhm, I just made that up… sorry. So I taught myself to always lead with a qualifier when I don’t actually know (or think I know).

Oh, and I voted for you. Obvi 🙂

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    October 23, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I had no idea about where maven came from. This tabbouleh sounds good! I picked up some quinoa tabbouleh at costco yesterday and was reminded how good the flavor combination is. I might have to make this at home cauliflower version next!

gottaeatgreen.com
    October 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Gahh this looks so good! I love anything cauliflower related. And dads are just full of knowledge, aren’t they? I’m always finding out randoms facts from my pops.

October 23, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I didn’t even know that “maven” meant know it all until you mentioned it a few blog posts ago. Not sure what I thought it meant!

Traditional foods I grew up with – gumbo, jambalaya, beignets, hush puppies, poboys…ahh I get hungry just thinking about it!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    October 23, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Hooray for cauliflower! It’s so versatile!:)

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 23, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I definitely never thought about what maven meant! That recipe looks really good, I’ve never had tabbouleh before. Looks pretty simple though!

Khushboo
    October 23, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Confession: I had no idea what maven meant until today…and I like it :D! Your blog name sounds very fitting! If there’s one thing I’ve learned about you from reading your blog, you KNOW your stuff when it comes to recipes that are both healthy & delicious!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    October 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I am pretty sure I go around spreading lies unknowingly on a daily basis because I think to think I’m a maven but I am not. Your story made me laugh!

Also, I voted for you!!! Good luck!!!

Brittany
    October 23, 2013 at 2:02 pm

HAHAHA That entire beginning to this post was so good. I VOTED!! Those donut holes look legit. I have never made my own tabbouleh, but I do love it!

veganmiam.com
    October 23, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I remembered I had a vegan tabbouleh in Istanbul and I had massive hives growing on all over my body within a few hours. I don’t know whether it’s food allergy or just foreign ingredients, but I have had tabboulehs in the UK and elsewhere. I’ve seen a recipe using cauliflower for “cream” sauce for desserts…and it’s always exciting to see ingredient cauliflower in a variety of dishes.

October 25, 2013 at 8:30 pm

oh noooo! Well hopefully you’re not allergic to all tabbouleh. I know you don’t have your food processor right now but once you do I highly suggest you take a chance and make this!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    October 23, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hahaha! I don’t blame you – I would also be confused!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    October 23, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Haha, I’m kinda a know-it-all too, except I often do so without getting my facts straight. 😛 It’s so interesting to learn about the history behind you blog’s name, which is definitely a perfect fit. 🙂 Heading off to vote for you.

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition
    October 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Nothing like a big bowl of veggies! This looks amazing. Can I come live with you please? Haha

October 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm

First – I love the whole lesson about Maven and the interaction with your dad!!!
    Second – I’m a complete idiot because I read over the ingredients at least 5x looking for the tabbouleh. (I thought it was some type of grain.)

October 25, 2013 at 8:33 pm

hahahahaha I have DEFINITELY had those moments! just have to laugh and move on 😉

Sammy
    October 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I had NO idea that the base of tabbouleh is cauliflower?!?!? I always assumed it was some kind of super tiny pasta or rice or something…I guess you do know it all!
    And ps – I like to pretend I know it all too! Act as if, right?!!? 😉
    -Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com

October 25, 2013 at 8:34 pm

oh sammy! Tabbouleh is a type of salad and the usual grain is bulger wheat but I used ground up cauliflower instead 😉

Em @ Love A Latte
    October 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I love Tabbouleh salads! I always get it out at a Greek restaurant, but I’ve never made it at home – I really should! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad
    October 23, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I really like these recipes where cauliflower is snuck in. My husband loves cauliflower and I just tolerate it. This looks like it would be a great compromise.

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 23, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I never knew Maven was from Yiddish! And it’s ok to be a know-it-all as long as you teach others instead of making them feel dumb 🙂 I keep seeing cauliflower recipes where it’s “riced” like this and I really need to try it! I love tabbouleh so I’m sure I’d love this.

October 25, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I try not to make others feel dumb! But I’m definitely guilty of pretending to know what I’m talking about lol.

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 23, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Hahah!! That’s so funny – at least you know now! And now I learned something, too. I love tabbouleh, so obvi I am down with adding more veg it to. Great idea, you maven, you.

October 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I always assumed tabbouleh was an Israeli dish, so I learned something today…good thing I didn’t walk around telling people that :-p

October 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm

You live and you learn! And you regret pretending you know what you were talking about…lol

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    October 23, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Hahahah “… share a recipe with you from my people” <-- OMG I'm dying laughing. Whether or not you planned that to be hilarious, for some reason it is to me. AHEM, anyways. Love this recipe and I love that your dad got all sentimental with your blog name <3

October 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I’m SO happy you appreciate that and YES I was definitely intentionally being funny though I suspect you might be the only one who picked up on it 😉

Gwen
    October 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm

TeeHee! Even us know it all’s can be stumped every great once and a while ;} I’m loving this tabbouleh! Such a great way to use the cauliflower sitting in my fridge

Caitlin
    October 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

i’m in love with tabbouleh. this sounds amazing! alas i don’t have a food processor.

Dixya
    October 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm

you are just genius!!!

Heather Wilson
    October 23, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Hehehe You are adorable, miss know-it-all or not! : )

This is an awesome recipe, how creative to use cauliflower as a substitute! Thanks girly!

Sarah Cook
    October 23, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Haha! My people. You’re so funny. I didn’t know the exact definition of Maven but I would have to agree with your Dad. It suits you very well!

I didn’t know tabbouleh was Lebanese either. Hmm. I love your spin on it with cauliflower. Brilliant!

Kierston @candyfit
    October 23, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Love the convo with your Dad!

Pancakes, Congee, Chocolate and Chinese Fondue, Curry, Noodles…just a few staples in my home while growing up 🙂

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    October 23, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Hahaha such a funny intro!! So excited to hear you’re Jewish…me too 🙂 Jewish foodie bloggers unite! We should totally do some kind of Jewish recipe makeover series sometime…considering like every Jewish food is unhealthy. Wahh. This tabbouleh looks amazing–love me some fresh herbies anytime.

vicky and ruth
    October 23, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I am Jewish, born in Lebanon, I grew up eating Tabuleh, it may not be considered an Ashkenazi Jewish food, but it could be considered a Sephardic food which has a lot of Middle Eastern influences… Maybe there is no fail#2

Alisha @ AlishasAppetite
    October 23, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Lol to the story of this recipe!! I love tabbouleh so I imagine I would LURVE this. I would totally support a maven dad blog 😉

October 23, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Voted…but you named it wrong..they are BALLZ

Absolutely detest tabbouleh- my neighbours were Lebanese as a kid and they would bring trays over- If only it didn’t have parsley- Although I do love all things cauliflower to one to keep an eye on 😉

October 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm

You’re so right! Had I named them balls I definitely would have won! Gotta get over the parsley thing…

Shashi Charles
    October 23, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Too funny this story lady!
    Love it!

Sarah Pie
    October 23, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Know it all or not, I know I can trust you to have delicious looking foods and this is no exception! I love cauliflower rice and this looks like a great way to mix it up 🙂

Tina @ Tinas Chic Corner
    October 23, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Love love love this idea! I’ve never seen tabbouleh in any other form aside from the classic, which I love but can get boring. Definitely need to try this. 🙂

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    October 24, 2013 at 12:21 am

It’s just about cauliflower harvest time, this is on!

nutritiouslysweet.com
    October 24, 2013 at 1:19 am

This is literally one of the most awesome things I have ever heard of!!! So veggie packed 🙂

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    October 24, 2013 at 1:48 am

This looks delicious as always!! I need to start experimenting more with cauliflower it is so versatile!

Robyn Coale
    October 24, 2013 at 2:19 am

This looks like such a yummy lunch recipe! Maybe scooped up with some crackers, thanks for sharing!

Cailee Joy
    October 24, 2013 at 4:21 am

Oh I love this! What a good idea to use cauliflower! yummm!
    Sincerely Cailee @ http://hellohealthyeating.com

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    October 24, 2013 at 7:27 am

Just voted! And congrats…looks like you’re in the lead! 😀

Love the story! Totally sounds like something I would do…when I made my German Chocolate {Sex} Cake, I was so impressed that it came out well using almond milk (remember I am NOT a baker) that I went on and on and ON about how I’m a genius and made this totally dairy-free cake from scratch…yeah, I totally forgot about the stick of BUTTER that was in it! 😯 Lol

Um, traditional foods I grew up with? You mean besides the SPAM, fish sticks, and French fries? Yeah, I do NOT come from a healthy background! But when my mom DID cook, she would make some of the best southern comfort food dishes…her chicken pot pie being one of my favorites!

October 26, 2013 at 9:25 pm

hahahahahaha to your defense butter isn’t always considered dairy…but don’t trust what I have to say!

omg SPAM. I’ve never tried it! Am I missing out?

Carla Bruns
    October 24, 2013 at 8:50 am

LOL! I had no idea what maven meant and honestly I’d always associated it with a woman so Maven Dad seems all off to me. 🙂

This dish looks and sounds amazing. How can you ever go wrong with cauliflower? You can’t!

October 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’m pretty sure maven is definitely more of a female thing so we’d have to come up with something new for my Dad 🙂

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    October 24, 2013 at 8:53 am

I swear cauliflower is so versatile! I love this “Jewish” (I am actually doing a presentation in my food culture class about Jewish foods and my dad is Jewish so this was especially funny) use of it.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 24, 2013 at 11:19 am

My dad always tells me that I’m such a know-it-all too but then it’s actually him who knows it all duh! This tabbouleh looks amazing and super fresh, I love it 🙂

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 24, 2013 at 11:45 am

Hahhah DADDDDDDD why must you make me doubt my blog name?! This looks sosososo good. Food processor should be happening very soon.

eating4balance
    October 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Obviously I voted for you 🙂

I love your blog name now even MORE after knowing the actual definition behind it…. I honestly always just thought of a beautiful, mysterious raven when I read “maven.” Now, I didn’t actually think you meant raven, it’s just a word association that will never go away. That’s okay though- because ravens are awesome.

October 26, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Ah well we can pretend it’s related to some kind of bird since that sounds far more exotic!

Amelia
    October 24, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I had no idea what maven meant, but thought it fitted in well in your blog name!

Archana@FeedingTheFoodie
    October 24, 2013 at 3:59 pm

love tabbouleh but the grains they use always restricts how much I can eat it! What a great gluten-free swap this is.
    Origins aside, the israeli way of eating falafels with all the salads/toppings is my most favorite combination – yesterday I got myself a falafel salad at this israeli chain in NYC called Maoz – the tabbouleh there was different from the lebanese one I’ve had – but yummy nonetheless..

October 26, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Thank you!!! Ah Falafels are amazing and I LOVE Maoz. I lived around the corner from one and it was a regular place for me 🙂

Tara
    October 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Haha I chuckled (not a full on laugh yet, sorry) when I read that Tabboleh is Lebanese. Same side of the world, same thing.

Your recipe looks so healthy, it makes me feel bad for the burger I’m about to pound down when lunch time comes around.

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    October 24, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I love the food of “your people!!!” I love tabbouleh and can’t wait to try your cauliflower version. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum! I repeat, yum! 🙂

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    October 24, 2013 at 5:09 pm

YES!! Oh my gosh, I want this so bad!! This looks amazing right now and I love cauliflower so this is right up my alley!

Mary Frances McNellis
    October 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm

The green and the red is so pretty! Ok, that is funny, because I had been wondering what “healthy maven” was, but just thought it was a totally awesome baker, since that is what you are. 🙂 Well, now it is confirmed! Caluiflower has never looked so good!

Mary Frances McNellis
      October 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm

P.S. Reread the post and totally went and voted for you! Best of wishes and hoping you win!

October 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I ended up looking super pretty which was obviously a plus 🙂 Thank you lovely! IF maven means totally awesome baker then you are definitely a maven!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 24, 2013 at 5:58 pm

You are SUCH a maven, and I love it. Your explanation made me smile!

October 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Hahaha you’re cracking me up over here! I grew up eating a lot of traditional Italian dishes… I was just going to mention my grandma’s amazing cream puffs, but I’m not completely sure that they’re originally from Italy! Ha.

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    October 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm

hahaha omg the maven dad sounds like it’d be pretty funny tbh 😛

James
    October 24, 2013 at 8:18 pm

hahaha that is awesome. Gotta love dads. At least you know where you got all the maveness from!! 🙂

Sandra from candidadietplan.com
    October 24, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Fab dish, yummy pic, great writing and tons of comments – success 🙂

almostgettingittogether.com
    October 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Why can cauliflower do everything? It’s such a super food! I like the idea of it more than kous-kous because I just don’t love kous-kous (whoops).

Julie@teachinggoodeaters
    October 30, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I’m part Lebanese and recently “wheat free,” so I can’t tell you how excited I am about this!! I love cauliflower and it has become my “go-to,” replacement for pasta, but it never occurred to me to chop it up and use it this way! Thank you!!

November 2, 2013 at 2:24 am

Now that’s something I haven’t seen done with cauliflower before. I must say, I love it.
    Cross your fingers I get some cauliflower in next week’s CSA share. I get a share of random veggies every week, and then I work with what I get. Kinda like shake what your momma gave you. Or really not at all. 😉

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    November 13, 2013 at 10:05 pm

What a great recipe! Before going gluten free I made tabbouleh all the time. I’ve made a quinoa version, but never cauliflower. Love the idea! I’ll be sharing your recipe at Raw Foods Thursdays tomorrow. So glad you shared it with us!

Heather

Baked Falafel {vegan & gluten-free} ‹ The Little Honey Bee
    January 25, 2014 at 11:39 pm

[…] Serve with hummus, tahini, pita, lettuce wraps or cauliflower tabbouleh [recipe] and […]

Candida diet, sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe | Ricki Heller
    April 15, 2014 at 6:30 am

[…] And every week, I thought, “I’d love to make that!”  For instance, how about Cauliflower Tabbouleh, Lemon Raspberry Chia Pudding, Raw Apple Pie Bites, or Rosemary Cashew Bar Nuts? (See–told […]

Pinned and Made [WIAW 19] ‹ The Little Honey Bee
    October 24, 2014 at 8:21 am

[…] falafel [recipe from yesterday] with hummus and cauliflower tabbouleh [recipe] – PINNED & MADE: Davida came up with a great idea to use pureed cauliflower for this […]

give a fig | A lovely little side
    December 5, 2014 at 12:50 am

[…] Cauliflower Tabbouleh comes courtesy of The Healthy Maven, a delightful blog penned by healthy foodie and fellow Canadian, Davida. […]

15 Minute Healthy Side Dish Recipes - The Healthy Maven
    March 6, 2015 at 5:02 am

[…] Cauliflower Tabbouleh from The Healthy Maven […]

Valerie
    March 11, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I’m Jewish too and had no idea that Maven was a Yiddish word until about a year ago! I think there’s a lot of Yiddish I use in daily conversation without fully realizing it. 🙂

This looks delicious!