Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies that the whole family can enjoy including those with gluten allergies and intolerances. The ultimate Christmas cookie without the gluten.
Remember when I promised to diversify my recipes? Well you’ll have to forgive me. The next few weeks will be all about cookies and breakfast. We’re going to disregard any prior statements until after the New Year. Why? Because tis the season for all things baked and sweet…and because I said so.
Here’s the deal with this recipe. I tried to lower the sugar and made them gluten-free, but by no stretch of the imagination are these healthy. There exists no comparable substitute for butter so don’t even bother trying! In my opinion Christmas is not complete without shortbread and for people who can’t eat or are avoiding gluten, there is absolutely no reason they shouldn’t be able to enjoy some too.
I think it’s important for us to not get too worked up about our eating habits during the holidays. Try to get in your fruits and veggies and watch your portions, but don’t beat yourself up over eating a few too many cookies. Christmas only happens once a year so eat real shortbread. You won’t be throwing all of your health goals out the window in one night! Wake up the next day and go for a walk, enjoy the company of friends and family or just laugh a lot. Laughing is the best workout after all 🙂Print
Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 52 mins
- Yield: 2 dozen
- 1 1/4 cup icing/powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup + 3 T unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- 2 1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (or any starch will work)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 T sprinkles (optional)
- Using an electric mixer combine butter and icing sugar until soft.
- Add in vanilla and beat for another minute.
- On medium speed add in each egg individually. Make sure first egg has been mixed in before adding second. Then add in milk.
- In a separate bowl combine brown rice flour, xanthan gum, cornstarch and salt.
- Slowly incorporate flour mix into butter-egg mixture.
- Beat until just combined. Stir in sprinkles if desired.
- Roll dough into a log that is about 2 inches thick. I find it easier to roll it into two separate logs.
- Wrap log in saran wrap and place in freezer for 30 mins.
- Dough can be kept frozen for months.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dough from freezer and with a sharp knife slice into 24 cookies.
- Place 12 on a cookie sheet and bake in the middle rack for 12-14 mins.
- Keep remaining dough in fridge while cookies are baking.
- Let cool on tray for 5 mins before removing and letting cool completely on a wire rack.
- Will keep for 1 week in an airtight container.
What’s your favourite Christmas cookie? Do you indulge during the holidays?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!