blogging Live

If Not Now, When?

December 12, 2013

I know that my blog is not a place where I talk about my job or career ambitions, but I felt the need to share this today. I hope that it can resonate with a few of you. For me, healthy living is not just about eating right and exercising, it encompasses so many things. I am a firm believer that being your healthiest self requires a sense of fulfillment. Fulfilment with your relationships, your job and especially yourself.

For the last year or so I haven’t felt fulfilled. I have an amazing life in front of me but I just wasn’t making the most of it. Most of this stems from my lack of contentment with my job (I do brain imaging research on babies born preterm and sick) but slowly these feelings started to creep into other areas of my life. I spent far too much time complaining and not enough time taking action. There are some people in life who have it all figured out. They’ve known from birth what they wanted to do with their life, got into a good college, continued on their professional path and life plays out as they expect it to. I am not one of those people.

Unless being a professional figure skater counts as a career ambition I really had no clear life aspirations growing up. Like most people, I knew I wanted to be successful, but in what domain I really had no clue. In university I switched my major 3 times before finally settling on psychology. I really did love studying psych. I find people fascinating so learning why people act like they do was really interesting to me.

work copyTo continue in the realm of psych you have one of two options, more school or research. I was looking to try something new so I opted for the latter. First in New York and then in Toronto. In my brief stint of funemployment between NYC and Toronto I knew that going onto another job in research wasn’t the right move for me, but I am a practical person and employment meant more to me than passion. I discovered quite quickly in my current job that passion is necessary to not getting burnt out. I was lacking that key element and my motivation waned.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for research, I have been fortunate to have incredible bosses in both of my jobs. They epitomize intelligence and work ethic and the passion I see in them is something I would like for myself. I’m just in the wrong field. Coming to that realization was easy, but making the change was incredibly difficult.

Quitting has a bad reputation. It’s viewed as giving up or throwing in the towel, but I really don’t see it that way. Sometimes you have to let go of things that aren’t good for you. This year I had to quit running, and you know what? Life went on. If anything I’ve grown from the experience. And that’s how I’m choosing to view quitting my job, as an experience from which I can grow. I see it as an opportunity to try new things, step out of my comfort zone and become a better version of myself.

So what’s next? A few things. First, I will be dedicating more time to Kewaza. I could not be more thrilled with this opportunity and am excited to be a part of a growing company led by an inspiring young entrepreneur. I also will be trying my hand at some catering. Clearly I love to cook and bake and nothing makes me happier than having people share in this goodness.

kewaza1I also want to expand my knowledge of nutrition and have toyed with the idea of taking classes. I’m waiting to see how much free time I have in the New Year before I commit to anything. I have a habit of overburdening myself and I’m trying to avoid this in 2014.

It makes me nervous that I am giving up a formal title for an unknown one. I’m no longer a research assistant and instead am becoming a trick of many trades. I’ve made peace with the fact that I don’t need to have it all figured out. I probably never will, but I need to try out many different things to figure out what fuels my fire. Because if not now, when?

If-not-now-whenWhat is your passion?

Jessie
    December 12, 2013 at 5:11 am

So proud of you for following your dreams, Davida. I truly believe that there’s no sense of working at a job where your not happy. Sure it’s a stable paycheck every 2wks, but money can’t always give you the happiness you need in life. You’re still young and have the world ahead of you. No matter what you end up doing, you’ll do awesome!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    December 12, 2013 at 5:33 am

Davida – bravo! This is an awesome post – congrats to you lady for making this decision!
    I so agree with you “Sometimes you have to let go of things that aren’t good for you” – Workwise, I am in a very similar position as you – during high school I used to work with children, but decided to pursue a career in Graphic Design, a few years into it, I just wasnt feeling “fulfilled” either and a couple years ago I went back to school and got my Masters in Education – now, while I havent quit my job yet, I have been zealously looking for a teaching position. At work I recently was chosen for new position – pay is great, new boss spectacular, coworkers awesome, but when I do get offered a position I will be leaving it behind.
    I loved your post – So proud of you for having the gumption to do something about your situation!

December 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm

And that’s the thing, there can be many aspects of your job that you love but I’m so confident that you and I can find exactly what we’re looking for. Or better yet, we will MAKE exactly what we’re looking for!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    December 12, 2013 at 6:38 am

I am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason and things just working out the way they are supposed to. That being said, it is often OK and really, often necessary, to try not to think too much about it all and let things play out. You are totally on the right path, even if you aren’t sure what the path “exactly” is. It will all come together.

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    December 12, 2013 at 7:03 am

I’m so excited for you, Davida! Your future is going to be amazing and you’re taking the first steps toward something wonderful 🙂 on another note, I can totally relate to the lack of knowing what I want to do. I want to make a difference and be happy but don’t really know what that is yet.

December 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Thanks lady! I think life will play out as it should so long as we continue to try out new things and eliminate those that don’t work!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    December 12, 2013 at 7:15 am

Ahhhh but a trick of many trades is exciting and unpredictable!! I know what you mean though. I am a practical person as well and I enjoy a steady income. However, passion is what’s most important in life and if you can find a way to make money from your passion then I think you’ve hit the jackpot. But, anyone who’s ever quit their full time gig probably feels the way you’re feeling now. Do not worry—you will be fine—-more than fine actually. My passion is health and fitness–I have big dreams for the future but I need to save up more money before I can do anything CRAZY. Thanks for writing this–I love your honesty and how much I can relate 🙂

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    December 12, 2013 at 7:27 am

I think it’s so great that you have done this! It’s so much easier to just stay in the current position you are in even if you aren’t happy, just because it’s easier. Good luck with all your next endeavors, i think you’ll be just fine!

D @ The Kosher Cave Girl
    December 12, 2013 at 7:28 am

I am SO happy for you, Davida! Change –good or bad– takes courage and I’m so happy that you’re recognizing that you need to focus on you and make yourself happy.

December 13, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thank you D! Wasn’t an easy decision to come to, but it feels right. I so appreciate your encouragement 🙂

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    December 12, 2013 at 7:35 am

You know how I feel about this and I couldn’t be more happy/proud/excited for you! Here’s to NOW… let’s cheers to that soon 🙂

Kumar's Kitchen
    December 12, 2013 at 8:35 am

CONGRATULATIONS! Cause you have decided to follow what you really want…as we have seen…it is always now or never…so whenever one feels tight,pressured and wants something then it is always great to follow your dreams/wishes that which make us happy…because after all the base of everything we do or want to achieve is because we want to be happy and happiness begets happiness…so be happy our friend and Have A Great Day!!! 🙂

December 13, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Thanks guys!!! Your comments are always so sweet and I SO appreciate every word. Just looking for happy 🙂

December 12, 2013 at 8:36 am

Love you. You are going to be just fine – mark my words.

Also guess what?? My parents got a ticket in the mail for a toll that I apparently missed on the QEW after we had brunch. I told them they shouldn’t pay it, but they think not paying it will stop me from ever getting back into your country (or stop them since that’s who the car is registered to).

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    December 12, 2013 at 8:49 am

So proud of you for making the best moves for you! I can totally empathize with feeling uninspired at a job… I feel that way about nursing from time to time. As much as I love it, there are certain aspects I really don’t. I’m working on finding out how to incorporate my passions into my future career 🙂

December 13, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I’m so excited for you graduate and start making moves to figure out your passions! The world is your oyster so NEVER settle! Can’t wait to see you in a few weeks 🙂

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    December 12, 2013 at 8:50 am

Wow, congrats girl! This is a huge, brave step and I am SO proud of you for it! It may be scary to step off the beaten path, but life really is too short to do something that doesn’t light you up. I think the more you trust yourself and where you want to go (even if you don’t know exactly where that may be), the more you’ll find things falling into place for you. I’m wishing you lots of love as you move forward! This is going to be a great new chapter in your life! Thank you for sharing your bravery and story with the rest of us!

December 13, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thank YOU Alex for inspiring me to open up more about my life! I love the honesty you project in your posts and they always feel relatable to me. Gave me the confidence to share more of my journey 🙂

Mary Frances
    December 12, 2013 at 9:13 am

The past couple years, I’ve fallen in love with baking, but I also know that isn’t always the most lucrative passion:) I want my job to be something I love, but I also want to be practical and money makes being practical a lot easier! I’ve always thought catering would be a blast, so if you end up doing it, let us know what it is like! I’m glad you keep blogging, because you are so good at it!

December 13, 2013 at 2:25 pm

It can be practical! Especially with talent like yours! Don’t ever give up Mary Frances. You have great things coming in your future 🙂

Becky@TheSavedRunner
    December 12, 2013 at 9:30 am

I think it is so great that you are following your passion! I wish the best of luck to you! I am very passionate about helping people, kids, fitness, and nutrition. Right now I am teaching, but I’m not sure if that’s something I will do my whole life. It will be exciting to see where life takes both of us. 🙂

December 13, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thanks so much Becky! I’m excited to see where life takes you too! We are so fortunate to live in a world where going after our dreams IS possible!

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    December 12, 2013 at 9:42 am

I think that it was really brave of you to share this, Davida. You’ve got to do what makes you happy and if you’re not happy then you have to change something.

I really love being a journalist, I love writing, speaking to people, hearing their stories and following up articles. However, the long hours are tiresome. I would love to have the time (and money) to blog full time. I sometimes I feel my blog gets neglected because I have to ensure the paper gets out every week on time.

December 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I know that feeling! If blogging were a feasible career I’d love to do it, but I have to be somewhat realistic. Keep on writing when you can. We all gotta pay the bills too 🙂

Michelle
    December 12, 2013 at 9:58 am

Amen sister!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    December 12, 2013 at 10:00 am

you already know how proud I am dear…we are all very different and we need to sometimes let go of unhappy things because thats the only way to move forward. keep me updated 🙂 🙂

December 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Will definitely keep you updated! Thank you so much D! And great things coming for you too. Wish I could lend you my citizenship!

Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans
    December 12, 2013 at 10:05 am

Loved reading this Davida. It’s true – if not now, then when! Passion is so key and something I have come to realize. I am still struggling with the whole follow your passion/make money. Working in the arts and culture sector isn’t always the most profitable… but I’m going to go with the old saying that follow your passion and the money will follow… Haha!

After working a 9-5 job I would really love to pursue something a bit more flexible – like small business/entrepreneur, similar to things you mentioned above. Would love to hear how you find the switch once you are into the thick of things!

Brittany @ Barr & Table
    December 12, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’m so glad you shared this.Quitting your job definitely must have been a difficult decision but I’m right there with ya! I had no choice since my husband was relocated but I was definitely ready to find something new and this provided me the opportunity to explore! Now to figure out where to start haha. Wishing you all the luck in the world!

December 13, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I know you totally understand 🙂 I love watching your adventures and I KNOW one day those adventures will be shared in the same city! eeeee can’t wait!

Runner Girl Eats
    December 12, 2013 at 10:24 am

I could not relate to this post more (former psych major here!) . Quitting sometimes is the answer. Congrats on the change! You will find what you are looking for 🙂

December 12, 2013 at 10:29 am

Oh Davida, you are a woman after my own heart! My passion is writing. Nothing else has ever come close except maybe reading. I have always been too practical to rely on this passion for income. And I was too scared at 18 years old to contemplate moving to NYC. Therefore, I have a job that I enjoy every day, but is not my passion. I am fortunate enough to be on the hubby becoming a lawyer and becoming our sole income plan. So I’m only anticipating working at this job another year or so. This helps a lot. I have so much admiration for you staking out on the hopes of becoming more fulfilled in your career! Good luck, lady! I can’t wait to hear how your journey goes!

December 13, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Thanks so much Cassie! I think everyone should live in NYC once! Dream big and take a chance. You never know what could happen!

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    December 12, 2013 at 11:11 am

I know a lot about what you’re feeling. I fell into video editing because I took a class in high school and was decent at it, so I guess I’ll just keep going down that path. At that time (the olden days since I’m 43), you could never have edited or made home movies from home. You needed bit machine rooms and edit bays. Well cut to over 20 years later…I still rely on video editing as my bread and butter as a freelancer, but I’ve been “over it” for years. But by accident I discovered MY passion with blogging (and you can make a lot of money and not lose yourself if you know what I mean) and being an entrepreneur in general, so I’m slowly, andI mean slowly transitioning to becoming that. Life is too short to not follow your passion. I hope you find it and have success with whatever you want to do!

December 13, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Thank you so much Tanya! I absolutely love blogging too though I worry about turning it into a career because it is such a release for me. But time will tell! Cant wait to see what the future has in store for both of us 🙂

Rebekah @ fitnesscreatures
    December 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

YAYYYYYY go Davida!!! You’ll figure it out so don’t worry. You’re already on your way with this first huge step you took. It’s better to be happy. I understand completely (first hand) how a job you’re not passionate about can make you feel. I wish I had balls like you to just quit and do what makes me happy. Good job, girl. I’m glad you’re getting into catering. You’re an amazing cook 🙂 Definitely take the classes, too!

December 13, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Thanks girl! I was thinking of moving in with you and Meg and privately catering for both of you. Should pay the bills right? Paleo just for you!

Lillian @ Seize the Latte
    December 12, 2013 at 11:38 am

HOORAY! I love this post! Brava, Davida — this is a huge deal, and it’s freakin’ amazing. Deciding to follow your heart is both brave and inspiring, and I give you a ton of credit for doing this. You’re going to kick butt in your new adventures (of that I’m sure), and everything is going to work out beautifully. Huzzah for you, my dear!

December 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Thanks girl!!! May need a little huzzah pick-me-up three months down the line but I’m 99% sure I made the right decision! Love every single one of your comments. You are awesome!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    December 12, 2013 at 11:59 am

I think it is really brave of you to decide that you want to follow your passion. So many people don’t have the will or the opportunity to discover their passion and end up working meaningless jobs or jobs that don’t fulfill them for the rest of their lives. I hope you find your passion and it brings you happiness every single day. This is one of my favorite posts!

December 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I’m so proud of you for coming to these realizations! A lot of people stay in jobs or in situations they don’t like because they’re afraid to lose that label and really discover where their passion lies. I think it’s awesome that you’re looking to follow your passions – definitely the way to create happiness in life!

December 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I am SO SO SO envious of your guts to follow your heart. It is so hard sometimes (internally struggling with that right now) and everything is going to work out marvelously. You are so brave and inspirational!!

December 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Gahhhh cassie I am none of those things but thank you! Just one girl either making the best or worst decision ever…..talk to me three months down the line haha

December 12, 2013 at 12:33 pm

When? Now, now, NOW! I’ve found that I very rarely ever regret taking a chance… it’s those “what ifs” that plague me the most. I studied psych in school too, and after a few years of working in the field, decided it just wasn’t for me. This summer I made the decision to undergo a huge career change, and while it was scary as hell at first, I’m loving where it’s taking me so far. You’re amazing and I have no doubt that you’ll be successful in anything you choose to do.

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    December 12, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I picked the right day to start reading 🙂 I’m going through the same thing with an unfulfilling job. Of course I’m letting all the “what if’s” cloud my decision making. Congratulations on ripping off the band-aid and making the jump! Do you feel relieved? Looking forward to following along as you figure out your next steps. Good luck girly!!

December 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

Kristina, you definitely did pick an interesting day to start reading! I promise I’m not this intense on a daily basis haha

I feel SO relieved! Now if only this week could speed up and I could get outta this place!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    December 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm

First of all I have said this before but I’m going to keep saying it – you are awesome. This is such a great post. I truly admire these steps you’re taking in your life and cannot wait to hear about your journey. I think “if not now, when?” is a really important question to think about. I have been mulling over that recently in my life, and I can come up with a million reasons why “not now” is the answer, but also a million reasons why “of course now” is the answer. You had the courage to take that leap!

PS. When I was little I wanted to be a meteorologist. Isn’t that weird? My “passion” used to be watching weather channel for hours like it was a show…

December 13, 2013 at 2:37 pm

bahaahhahaa who in the right mind wants to be a meterologist?!?! Kind of awesome though!

It’s a weird time when you you’re finishing up your undergrad but try not to freak out because it won’t get you anywhere. Try out everything and figure out what doesn’t work. Eventually what does will make sense 🙂

kathy @ vodka and soda
    December 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm

food is your calling; we all know that. where that takes you, is up to you.

i think this is a great step for you. while the “unknown” is scary, regret is even worse. remember that you have the power to change anything – if this doesn’t pan out and you find out that research is really where you want to be, IT’S NEVER TOO LATE! that’s the things that most people forget: things are never permanent UNLESS YOU WANT THEM TO BE.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

December 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Words from the wisest lady I know! Worse comes to worse I’ll become your live-in nanny right?

Jen @ SavedbytheKale
    December 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I love this post! It’s so insightful and it takes alot of courage to do what you are doing. I got a degree in sociology, I love studying it but quickly realized that working in that field just wasn’t for me. Honestly I think it is crazy that at 18 yrs old we are supposed to choose a degree and basically map out of life when at that age we know nothing about life! Argh! Bravo to you!!

December 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I think it’s crazy too! Fortunately life has turned out to not be set in stone so though it’s anxiety provoking you can always change course! Thanks so much Jen 🙂

cait @pieceofcait
    December 12, 2013 at 2:22 pm

So glad you shared this. I think were ALL in the same boat. Sometimes hoping from job to job, or playing it safe. Theres no point in working everyday for something that doesn’t ring true. I hope 2014 brings you everything you wanted!

December 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm

And you too Cait!!! I have a feeling i’ll be hopping around a lot of jobs but eventually I’ll stay put 🙂

December 12, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Girl, I LOVE this post! So happy that you’re taking a risk and making some moves to becoming the happiest person you can be. I think that what you talk about resonates with so many people, including me. One of the things I’m doing to live my passion more is going to nutrition school, as you know. One of the core concepts of IIN is talking about the things that feed you that AREN’T food – your career, relationships, spirituality, hobbies, etc. I think it’s SO IMPORTANT to be passionate about the things that you spend your time doing. Life is too short to be plugging away like a robot everyday at a job that doesn’t fulfill you. I’m so excited for what next year is going to bring for you!

December 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Thanks Nicole! I love seeing you go after your dreams too! Life is wayyyy too short so let’s dream big together 🙂

Danielle @ Green is the New Black
    December 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Beautiful post! Good for you for going for what makes you happy! I myself struggle with this on a daily basis and can totally relate. Sometimes I wish I had the guts to do something similar myself! There is nothing more fulfilling than loving what you do. Cheers to you on your new venture! Excited to hear more about it!

December 13, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Thanks Danielle! I might be making a crazy mistake here but only time will tell. I’ll keep you posted 🙂

Carla
    December 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Applause! Too many people do things that don’t make them happy because they think that’s what the world expects. I left a job of 11 years even though I had a family to take care if. It freaked other people out but it made me so incredibly happy. Three years later things aren’t perfect but they are better and I’m much happier. Good for you for moving forward and finding your passion.

December 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Better is better 🙂 Glad you’re looking at the positives! I don’t expect to be infinitely satisfied overnight but I think I’m taking some steps in the right direction. Thanks so much Carla 🙂

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    December 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm

good for you for taking the giant leap!! I haven’t had job satisfaction since i graduated college, my first job was horrible and my current job is ok, but I am not happy I complain about it whilst looking for other things. I have luckily found other things to do as second jobs that I really enjoy so it makes the day to day work week go by quickly! I am looking forward to moving on to bigger and better things soon though!

December 13, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hobbies have been a life saver! I truly believe that you can make your hobby a career so that’s my next mission…we’ll see how this goes!

Caitlin
    December 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm

You have no no no no idea how much this post means to me. I’m in the midst of deciding whether or not I should take a similar leap, which would also involve relocation. UGH I’m so scared! But I’m making January 2014 my time to make my FINAL decision. Hopefully I’ll have big news to share on the blog with you and others soon…

December 13, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Eeee I can’t wait! I know how nerve-wracking that decision can be though so like I said on twitter, feel free to message me anytime!

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    December 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm

What an inspiring post, Davida! Nowadays it seems that everyone who doesn’t get an university degree is simply missing out on good job opportunities and will not be successful in life. Though jobs one is passionate about can be so much more rewarding and people are always more successful in something they want to do. If I think about those 6 years I spend studying and where I will start in whatever company when I am done next year it’s kind of frightening… what all I might have done in those 6 years instead of studying. I might be a successful entrepreneur these days or a world famous star baker… who knows. But hey, that’s life, we learn our lesson and take our chances.

December 13, 2013 at 1:57 pm

We’ll never know right?!? Do I wish I could go back in time and have majored in nutrition? YEs, absolutely. But I can’t change time and can only make the most of what’s in front of me, And truth-be-told I’m thrilled I sort of figured this out at 24 rather than 54! And I think you’re a world class baker even if the famous part hasn’t come yet 😉

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    December 12, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Great post and I think we can all agree that sometimes a change is needed, either in a job or a university major or a relationship or in a hair color. Change is good if you aren’t happy. I think it’s better to make that choice before it’s too late and let it linger for too long. Good luck to you girl!

December 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I love your new hair color 🙂 I’m welcoming change these days! Only good things have come as a result.

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    December 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Loved this post Davida! You are an inspiration to us all to follow our passions! 🙂

December 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Thank you Jillienne! And seeing you crush all of your races is such an important to set goals and see them through!

Christie @ Kissesandkale.blogspot.com
    December 12, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Davida, I loved this post so much! I can totally relate to you. When I graduated college in 2012, I ended up with a “dream job” in my field 3 days after graduation. Just 6 months after taking the job, I realized that it was definitely not my passion and that it was affecting my health in a negative way. I decided to quit and do some soul searching. Now I’m in a job that I love and I’m actually happy going to work everyday. Congrats on having the courage to quit and discover what you’re truly passionate about in life.

December 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm

From Buster Baxter to the Brain (ha, get it?) – I am so proud of you and truly honoured to call you a good blend of mine. Screw that, friend of mine. Nothing grinds my gears more than seeing people talk the talk but not walk the walk. You’ve taken a great leap of faith and as scary as it may seem- the decision will pay dividends in the not so distant future. I’m excited to see this new (non one) direction. One way, or another, your gonna rock it. your gonna rock it rock it rock it rock it.

I hate one direction.

December 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm

hahaha I get it 😉 And you better not like one direction or we’re gonna have a problem here Buster!!

Miss Polkadot
    December 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Maybe I’m repeating myself but you know I’m proud of your courageous step, happy and excited for you exploring what the future holds for you. With all of your interests and talents I’m convinced a door will open up for you leading you to what makes you happy.
    Your attitude on this is inspiring to a constant worrier like me. “I’ve made peace with the fact that I don’t need to have it all figured out.” <- thanks for reminding me of that <3!
    As you're asking about our passions: mine definitely is writing. I knew it before but after that last unfortunate internship experience had a lot [too much?] time thinking about my future. I pondered it might be better to change fields, get a 'safe' job and not pursue a writing career. Just these past days at my newspaper internship, though, have shown me that this is 'mine'. My passion, my dream job. For now, at least. Who knows if it changes in the future? It's about finding our 'happy' now.

December 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I feel like you’re on your way to making your dream job happen! And you are such a talented writer so I have no doubt it will.

Thank you beautiful! I so appreciate every word you’ve ever shared with me!

Tara
    December 12, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I am so proud of you. It takes a lot of courage to leave something you become comfortable doing if you know that it is becoming a burden on your day-to-day life. I read through everyone’s comments and agree with most of them so I will leave it at that.

You wear many hats. I like them all.

Em @ Love A Latte
    December 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I’m so excited for you!!!! Congrats! I can’t wait to see where your passion takes you. It takes a lot of courage to leave a job you know isn’t right for you. You should be so proud 🙂

December 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Em you are so sweet! Seeing you go after your MC aspirations definitely helped me to make my decision! You have to go after what you want and can’t just wait for life to change!

December 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm

LOVE this! And I am so unbelievably happy for you. You’re so right that quitting is definitely not giving up, not when you’re not happy with what you’re doing. Life is short and we owe it to ourselves to love every aspect of our lives, including our jobs. That’s so awesome about your opportunity with Kewaza and taking on some catering gigs – that sounds perfect for you! 😀

December 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I think that there are many people who struggle with “what to be/do.” I used to think that I would do something to really make a difference in the world. Then I became a stay home mom for many years and thought that was a lost cause. Over time I realized that I didn’t need to make a difference in the world – it was enough to just make a difference in the lives of my boys.
    Best of luck to you as you embark on a new journey!!!

December 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm

And you most certainly have! Your boys seem like such gems. Kind and thoughtful, just like their Mom 🙂

Erin S
    December 12, 2013 at 8:46 pm

What a great post, Davida! I completely identify with a lot of what you said. Just yesterday I was telling my partner how much happier I feel since I switched jobs and how I hadn’t realized how unsatisfied I was in my previous role. I have good feelings that wonderful things will come for you now that you’ve made this big step!

December 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

And wonderful things for you too Erin! Recognizing the source of your dissatisfaction or unhappiness is the first start!

Nikki @ will run for pizza
    December 12, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I am SO excited for you!! Hearing about your path trying to figure out what you wanted to do when you grew up, makes me feel a little better b/c you sound so much like me. I’ve went from wanting to be a nascar driver to a professional scuba diver to a psychologist. Started and changed and dropped out of college so many times I have you beat. I did finish & get a Bachelor’s that I don’t even want, and am now looking into either a Masters in Nutrition or a Nutrition cert…yay for changes and making steps to promote a healthier you!!! 🙂

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    December 12, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Honestly, I can’t even make a meaningful comment on this, because I’m somewhere between nodding vigorously at every single word and on the verge of bursting into tears. I know how scary this is, and how you feel you’re going to be judged, and how you’re worried you’re just being silly and not doing the “wise” thing. I am, as usual, in awe of you!

December 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Megannnn I have no words in response because I know exactly how you feel and where you’re at. I’ll just move to Texas and we can get this journey started. How does that sound?

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    December 12, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I’m proud of you for realizing & admitting to yourself that you were in the wrong line of work. It takes guts to admit that & that’s something that I can relate to since I’ve gone through it in the past too. I had first gone to school for graphic design & did it as a career for a few years, but ultimately, I decided it wasn’t right for me & I got burnt out. I decided to follow another passion of mine & went to school for dog grooming… did that as a career for about 7 years & then decided it wouldn’t be a life-long career for me since I had a huge, budding passion for nutrition. As I’m getting older, I knew I couldn’t do such a physical grooming job forever either since it takes a huge toll on your body & especially your wrists (good ‘ol carpal tunnel). 😉 Now that I’m well into my journey on working towards becoming a RD, I couldn’t be happier. Nutrition & helping others is my passion. I firmly believe it’s important to love what you do. I’ll be right behind you on your journey, cheering you on all the way. <3

December 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I KNOW you are definitely working towards the right dream Karey! You are going to be an amazing RD!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    December 12, 2013 at 10:54 pm

ohmygoodness! I am thrilled to read this post Davida!

There is a reason why, as kids, we love magic and dreams. I believe that when you follow your dreams you have something worth sharing with the world. Regret is a terrible thing, and a dream is powerful enough to bring you regret if you don’t take the chance to at least follow it.

You are such an interesting person and you show others that you have meaning, direction and purpose in life. Never give up on your dreams! X

December 13, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Maria, your comments always make me smile! Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. Trying to live with no regrets and make the most of this beautiful life I have in front of me!

Kathryn @ Illustrated Nutrition
    December 13, 2013 at 1:07 am

Follow your passions Davida! As a young career changer myself, I can totally relate to this post. Sometimes I get stressed and wrapped up in the fact that I’m 27 and in school again, but then I remind myself why I am pursuing nutrition: because I love it.

When I graduated college (the first time) I was working the most boring desk jobs and I was miserable. This translated into being miserable in other aspects of my life and I put an end to it immediately. I knew that if I wanted to make a change, there was no point in waiting! Yes, I have had to sacrifice many years of free time, money, and overall stability in my life but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I am truly passionate about this field and it really motivates me to work towards my goals. So happy to see that you decided to make a change! If you ever have any questions, I’m here for you girl!

December 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

That’s exactly how I want to feel! So inspiring to know that you can change course and put up with some struggles but still know you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. I may just take you up on that offer 😉

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    December 13, 2013 at 7:50 am

Oh Davida, I loved this post so very much. I can relate, and understand what you’re going through. I think that, sometimes we get stuck because we feel immense pressure to mentally figure it ALL out NOW. But life doesn’t work that way… at least not for most people. I think it’s great that you’re going to be dedicating some time to other side projects. We’ll always figure out what we’re ‘supposed’ to be doing by trying many different things and knowing what we DON’T want.

Is Kewaza going to come hang out in Alberta anytime soon?!

December 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Working on it! You know you’ll be the first blogger to get a free sample 😉

I feel like my first year after grad I was perpetually anxious trying to have it all figured out. The second I relaxed was when the pieces started to fall into place and it the next move just made sense. I’m starting to realize precisely what you said, it’s about figuring out precisely what we don’t want!

Vicky and Ruth / May I Have That Recipe?
    December 13, 2013 at 8:44 am

Congratulations Davida, it takes courage and inner honesty to make a decision to change things when you are not satisfied. If not now, when is so powerful. We cannot wait in life, because we don’t know what the future has in store for us. We only have control over the decisions that we make and the actions that we take. Best of luck in your new journey. I hope it is a fulfilling one for you.

December 13, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Thanks ladies! You are so right that we only have power over the choices we make. I got tired of waiting and it was time I start taking action!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    December 13, 2013 at 9:38 am

I’m so excited for you, Davida!!! Don’t feel bad about “quitting.” I’ve changed my career path more times than I care to admit, gone to two diff grad schools and am now doing something completely different. I still don’t love it, but i do enjoy coming to work. I wish more than anything that I had had the guys to really pursue my passion. If it were up to me I’d do something culinary or art-related. So for now, I’m going to live vicariously through you 🙂 Good luck…I just have this feeling you’re going to become something great!

December 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Aw Amy you are too sweet! And think you need to pursue your passion too! We can both take crazy leaps of faith together 🙂

Heather Murphy
    December 13, 2013 at 10:29 am

A girl after my own heart! I’m so excited for you, and proud of you for taking the leap into the unknown because as scary as it is, it will ultimately lead you to living your life to the fullest and living out your dreams. 🙂 I can’t wait to hear every step of your journey!

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    December 13, 2013 at 11:14 am

I am so so proud of Davida! I am so excited for you and all to opportunities that are out there waiting for you!

We MUST get together soon! Email me when life calms down a little for you 🙂

December 13, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Thanks Gabby! Can’t wait to hear about your plan! In the new year I’ll message ya and we should definitely get together 🙂

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    December 13, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Congrats to you for following your dreams and doing what you truly like. You’re so brave!
    I wish you the best working with Kewaza and catering, that sounds amazing! And I agree with you on the blogging thing too 😉

December 16, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Consuelo! I love your blog and even if it were to become your business I’d still love it!

Luv What You Do
    December 13, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I wrote a post titled ‘the first step is admitting there’s a problem’ about my career struggles….it’s tough to figure all of that out. I felt like I was working in the career I was passionate about, but not being respected or appreciated. It was tough!!! Wishing you luck on your journey!

On another note, I think I’ve read some of the studies involving those images!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Five for Friday XIV

December 16, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Ah that’s awesome! My team does some pretty cool work, just not for me 🙂 Must check out your post!

12/14: The Skinny | Real Into
    December 14, 2013 at 6:00 am

[…] really admire Davida’s strength in making her life fulfilling and not just going through the motions. Just because that’s what you’re supposed to do. […]

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    December 14, 2013 at 9:21 am

Good for you for taking this leap of faith into the next chapter of your life!! Excited to find out what’s in store for you!!
    Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…Fitness Friday: 12 Days of Christmas Workout

Lindsay @ Lindsay Weighs In
    December 14, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I think it’s SO brave that you’re doing this and following your dreams! I completely understand what you mean about not filling fulfilled! I love my job, but I’m not sure it’s something I want to do for the rest of my life. That’s why I’m going to grad school — I’m hoping that I can transition into another career!
    Lindsay @ Lindsay Weighs In recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #1: Confessions

December 16, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thanks so much Lindsay! I am constantly being inspired by people around me who are taking steps to go after their dreams. It was about time I joined in 🙂

Brittany
    December 15, 2013 at 12:20 am

HOLY SHIT!! What an AMAZING post!! I think you know by now a LOT of people our age are in this same boat. I haven’t even finished school yet because I was turned down twice by the dental hygiene programs I applied to (apparently my 3.6 wasn’t as good as a 4.0) I was upset for a bit, but then realized I don’t want to sit on my ass all day cleaning teeth..I have a passion for nutrition (oh hey twins!) and I now have all my stars aligned for whenever I feel ready to get back to school. Sometimes life has a funny way of working, and letting go of the career path I worked towards for five years was scary, but so liberating! Your new chapters sound so exciting, and I think you definitely made the right decision!! YOU GO GIRL!
    Brittany recently posted…Not How I Used to Be

December 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm

YOU GO GIRL! It’s amazing how when you just relax about everything things start to fall into place. I know you’ll do great things and I can’t wait to keep reading about it 🙂

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast
    December 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm

This is fantastic, Davida! I think it’s really common for us to not know what we’re going to really be passionate about in our work. I’ve taken several turns along the way too and it was so worth the risk! Who knows, in another 5-10 years I could go down a completely new career path and I’m open to that, too. It keeps life exciting and fulfilling!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted…Back to running + menu link up

December 16, 2013 at 4:08 pm

IT totally keeps life exciting! Nerve-racking at times but I’m trying to live with no regrets and I know I’d regret never trying. I’m excited to see where both of us are in 5-10 years!!! Who knows, maybe I’ll be a mommy too 😉

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    December 15, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I am definitely passionate about health and fitness and know that eventually I may change careers to move into something within the industry but nothing has stood out for me enough to know exactly what I want to do yet. I’ve looked at courses too but I don’t know what I’d do at the end of the course enough to think it is worth completing.

I like my job but I don’t love it like I do health and fitness.

If you figure it out I can’t wait to hear about it but good on your for taking the first leap of faith towards your passion 🙂
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Happy Monday

December 16, 2013 at 4:06 pm

And it certainly is a leap! Can’t say I have 100% confidence in myself but I knew I would regret never trying. I’ll let you know how it goes 😉

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    December 17, 2013 at 5:18 am

Oh honey! I am so SO proud of you! You expressed your feelings so well in this post…and honestly, I can say I’m right there with you on all of it. While I didn’t change my major in college (as that would have put me behind and I was bound and determined to be outta there in no MORE than four years), but once I FINALLY picked a major, I was just so focussed on getting my degree and getting my career that I never really thought much further than that. I’ve always been interested in biology and the medical field and I knew I didn’t have the stomach for anything that would involve blood and guts so I really thought imaging would be the perfect path for me. Don’t get me wrong, I like what I do, BUT…I don’t love it. I’m not sure what the future will hold for me…especially since I have absolutely no idea what I’d rather be doing, but I hope that once I find out, that I will have the same courage as you! <3
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Movie Monday

Amanda
    December 19, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Oh GURL. This is something I struggle with DAILY. Sometimes I feel and worry that I’ll NEVER know what I want to do. I want to help people, but how? In what capacity? I feel like a bum when I come across people who’ve always known what they wanted to do and are doing it because I’m not one of those people. Sometimes it feels like everyone is passing me up and leaving me in their dust. And it chokes me.
    From experience, I know how scary quitting can be. In general, change scares me. However, sometimes change is exactly what you need… we shouldn’t run from it we should run towards it because unfamiliar territory is where some of the best things tend to happen! 🙂
    P.S. Kathy sent me, and I’m glad she did. 🙂
    Amanda recently posted…Tardy for the Party

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    December 28, 2013 at 5:13 pm

In the midst of exams I missed this post so I am SO thankful that you put it in your yearly recap otherwise I’d be more than a bit behind on what is going on in your life. WOOHOO! I was waiting for you to decide that some change was in need. So proud of you for following your heart. Leaving Starbucks was beyond difficult for me in the summer because I a) Loved the discount b) Loved MOST of the people), (It’s probably not fair to make such a comparison given mine was part-time) but like you I was burnt out and it just wasn’t my calling anymore. Can’t wait to see what your heart has in store but I am glad that you found inner strength to follow your heart even if it goes against your plan/practical personality. 🙂
    Molly @ The Happiness Recipe recently posted…MIMM #13: Fall Reading Week

Feel Your Fears. - The Healthy Maven
    February 19, 2014 at 5:01 am

[…] -Quitting my  full-time job to take a chance with Kewaza (could not be happier!) […]

A No BS Guide to Food Photography - The Healthy Maven
    March 25, 2014 at 10:44 pm

[…] this news sucks for you, but there are ways around it if you are seriously dedicated.  When I was working at the hospital this meant cooking and shooting 3 recipes in one weekend or cooking the night before and early […]

You CAN Do It + An Announcement! - The Healthy Maven
    April 7, 2014 at 6:08 am

[…] back to where I was a year ago. I’m fairly certain I was dreadfully bored, staring at a screen of baby brains and just starting to tell people about my blog. Even though nobody was reading my blog, I was so […]

Best of THM 2013 - The Healthy Maven
    April 11, 2014 at 6:23 pm

[…] an end. This year has been a whirlwind for me both personally and professionally. I started a blog, I quit a job, I ditched the plan and embraced the change. Somewhere in between I baked and cooked up a storm, […]

{Ebook Talk} Theme Reveal! - The Healthy Maven
    April 14, 2014 at 12:24 pm

[…] probably out of my mind for attempting this, but since my motto for this year has been “if not now, when?” I figure I may as well just jump into the […]

Http://tinyurl.com/
    April 29, 2014 at 7:56 pm

I really like it when ppeople come together and share ideas.
    Great blog, stick with it!

Here is my blog post: .223 ammo for sale (http://tinyurl.com/)
    http://tinyurl.com/ recently posted…http://tinyurl.com/

{Blogging As A Business} Yes, I Am A Full-Time Blogger. - The Healthy Maven
    August 6, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] “And then there’s the blog. I’m not going to pretend like I don’t have aspirations for it. I love this little space of mine and I love being a part of the blogging world. I do not anticipate blogging ever becoming a full-time gig, but food props can get expensive so the pocket change I make from ads helps to pay for those. I do, however see it as a platform to many different opportunities that will hopefully present themselves along my journey. I do NOT blog for the money. Blogging is my release, it’s what I look forward to at the end of the day and has connected me to unbelievably inspiring and talented friends around the world. I could not be more grateful to every single one of you who shows up here everyday. ” -December 2013 from “If Not Now, When?” […]

Shannon
    February 24, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Beautiful post! I am going through the same thing right now and it is SCARY! Funny to think you never thought blogging would become full-time!
    Shannon recently posted…Vegetarian Paella

Lee
    September 6, 2016 at 7:17 am

I still can’t believe you did research. WTF.
    Lee recently posted…Lemon Butter Seared Salmon

Sam @ Hygge Wellness (fmr Barrister's Beet)
    October 30, 2016 at 11:22 pm

Came across this oldie but goodie and it (obviously) speaks to me right now. It’s SO cool to see how well you’re doing and that, despite your hesitancy in this post, you’re killing it. Just thought I’d throw that out there : ) hope you had a good weekend.
    Sam @ Hygge Wellness (fmr Barrister’s Beet) recently posted…Welcome to Hygge Wellness!