appetizers gluten-free seafood

Shrimp & Mango Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce

February 26, 2014

I know, another recipe. I’m trying to avoid posting recipes two days in a row, but I really wanted to link up with Amanda’s Thinking out Loud series tomorrow so I did a little switcheroo. Forgive me.

I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I can’t. Well I can sort of take credit since it’s based on my Spicy Peanut Slaw recipe, but the brilliant idea to wrap it into rice paper rolls goes entirely to C’s sister Lo. Hi Lo! I miss you, and we will make it out to SF this year! p.s. your brother gave me the plague and then ditched me for Montreal. How lame is that?

shrimp and mango rolls 4As I mentioned in Monday’s post, nothing makes me happier than hearing you enjoyed one of my recipes. It’s that much sweeter when it comes from someone who is basically family. Lo emailed me last week telling me how much she enjoyed the salad and suggested I try wrapping it in rice paper rolls and using the dressing as a dipping sauce. Genius!

I feel incredibly blessed to have been welcomed into C’s family with open arms. Even though there is a .02% chance I’ll be hitting the trails for some cross country skiing with them, they accept me for who I am, something which I am unbelievably grateful for.

spicy peanut sauceBack to the rolls. Don’t be intimidated by them! The first time I tried to make rice paper rolls I’m pretty sure the video I watched was in Vietnamese. I was also majorly hungry which resulted in a mini-kitchen meltdown. But two years later (and not a rice paper roll made since) I seem to have mastered the science behind them. They’re actually super easy once you’ve accepted the fact that your first one will suck. Kind of like pancakes. Never bank on the first one being photo-worthy.

Now, once you’ve accepted this, follow my tutorial (in English, I need to brush up on my Vietnamese) and I promise you will make your guests think you spent hours making these.

Mango Shrimp Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce

PREP TIME 25 mins

• 1 bag broccoli slaw (you only need about half or around 3 cups)
  • 1 mango, peeled and sliced into strips
  • 1 lb peeled and cooked mini shrimp (I used frozen and thawed)
  • 18 rice paper rolls
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 onion, diced
  • 2 T ginger, minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 T rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup smooth natural peanut butter
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
  • 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp salt

1. 1. Thaw shrimp and set aside.
  2. 2. Take a piece of rice paper and hold it under warm-hot water for 5 seconds on each side.
  3. 3. Place paper on parchment or a silicone lined sheet and let sit for 30 seconds.
  4. 4. Add a small handful of broccoli sprouts (I ball-parked it), a piece of mango and 5-6 mini shrimp in the center of the paper about 2 inches up from the bottom.
  5. 5. Fold one side over to meet the middle and then fold over the other side.
  6. 6. Take the bottom and fold over the slaw/mango/shrimp and tuck it in tightly. Begin rolling the paper from the bottom until you reach the top.
  7. 7. Repeat to make 18 rolls.
  8. For the spicy peanut sauce:
  9. 8. Cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent (about 3 minutes).
  10. 9. Add in ginger and garlic and cook for another minute.
  11. 10. Stir in spices for one more minute.
  12. 11. Begin adding in liquid ingredients and once fully combined add salt.
  13. 12. Cook for a few minutes until well combined.
  14. 13. Remove from heat and let cool for at least 10 minutes.
  15. 14. Add mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
  16. 15. Serve immediately with spicy peanut sauce on the side.

February 26, 2014 at 5:15 am

LOL Inside joke- giving credit to your own recipe….shameless Maven. Love it.

I love rice paper rolls but do NOT love the time it took me to make them….’takes 20 minutes’ ummm it took me like 2 hours.

Bookmarking this to make for a work brunch in 2 weeks….and I may be making the peanut sauce just to faceplant whenever I please.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Burnt food from breakfast to bed

February 26, 2014 at 7:56 pm

dude I made them in like 10 mins or less! In return for your serenade I’ll teach you ma skillz

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    February 26, 2014 at 5:21 am

These look so good, and I’ve finally mastered the rolling of rice paper! I need shrimp back and in my life in a major way. And I like the sound of this possible SF visit…we will just pretend it is to see me and not your guy’s sis…details are irrelevant. 😉
    Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted…Protein Brownies

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    February 26, 2014 at 6:17 am

When I was married, my in-laws and my parents were the closest of friends, making us one happy family. My mother-in-law was basically like my best friend, I spoke to her more than anyone else throughout the day. In fact, we bought the house next door to them. People hear that I think it’s crazy but it wasn’t – they never bothered me! Anyway, I could ramble on about this lol but I must say instead that I always wanted to make a roll like this since I always order it. Doesn’t look too complicated either!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…WIAW – I Really Like Oatmeal And Ezekiel Bread

February 26, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Definitely not too complicated! I’m glad you had an opportunity to get close with him and hope you guys are still on okay terms!

Jess @dearhealthyness
    February 26, 2014 at 6:25 am

While I’m vegetarian, I thing I could switch the shirmp for tofu, so this sounds like a yummy recipe. I’ve never use those rolls, even when I’ve seen them pop on blogs! Jummm something to think about.

About my in-laws and my boyfriends family, I have an incredible good relationship. I’m the kind of persons that says what she thinks, they know that, and accept it (they are that way too). That said, thank God all of them are very sweet with me, and they help me whenever I need it.
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…The Time I Met Ana

February 26, 2014 at 8:11 pm

That’s exactly how I feel! Although I am very different from them but they totally accept me exactly as I am and it’s the most wonderful thing!

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    February 26, 2014 at 7:01 am

If there is one simple food I totally adore it’s Thai spring rolls. They look so fancy if you prepare them for a dinner with friends, but are actually super simple to make, include a bunch of fresh ingredients and are good for you. Such a win win. I love to serve mine with almond butter sriracha sauce and get creative with the fillings. The mango-shrimp combination you rocked here sounds divine!
    Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted…Blog Marketing 101: the best time to blog and share

alex @ therunwithin
    February 26, 2014 at 7:03 am

wow these look so good. I have always wanted to experiment with rice paper because it is pretty affordable at world market or off market stores like that. plus the combo of shrimp and mango has to be one of my favorites

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    February 26, 2014 at 7:03 am

These rolls are me and Caleb’s FAVORITE! And he is totally obsessed with mango. Pinning!
    Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness recently posted…New Food Faith Fitness Recipe Box, Meal Planner and Shopping List Features!

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    February 26, 2014 at 7:13 am

I was going to try making this spicy peanut sauce I saw the other day, might have to ax that one and try yours instead
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Full Body Hotel Room Workout

Tina Muir
    February 26, 2014 at 7:20 am

Yummy! Yes, I am a little scared of trying to roll them up, and failing, but all your pictures will definitely mean I give it a try! I love the combination of flavors in this recipe! Good call!

I know what you mean about people trying your recipes, I feel the same way 🙂 You have some very good ones, so I am sure a lot of people use them!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Rise Bars Giveaway Product Review

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    February 26, 2014 at 7:22 am

Peanut sauce is one of my favorite flavors, I have never made it at home though. I have also never done anything with rice paper, it seems like something I would somehow mess up.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…WIAW – trying to change my routine

Joanne
    February 26, 2014 at 7:22 am

Somehow, I feel like so many foods taste better when served all wrapped up like this. And BOO to the plague! Feel better soon!!
    Joanne recently posted…Wednesday Coffee Talk

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    February 26, 2014 at 7:23 am

Love the addition of mango in these! I’m spoiled since my mom knows how to make a mean spring roll, and I can reap the benefits. But one day I might just try these out for HER…even though I still might need her help with the rolling. 😉
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Finding My Blogging Niche

Krista @ Tiny n Fit
    February 26, 2014 at 7:26 am

These look so good! I have a hard time tackling the wrappers some times!
    Krista @ Tiny n Fit recently posted…The Importance of Presence After Loss

melizz @ fitmedcooking
    February 26, 2014 at 7:29 am

this looks delish ! a nice variation for spring rolls , and a great idea for a sunday prep . these are on my recipe list for next week !
    melizz @ fitmedcooking recently posted…happy to be back

February 26, 2014 at 7:39 am

I forgive ya for posting two recipes in a row, but I’m not sure I can forgive you for basically trying to kill me with this one. Peanuts AND shrimp? That’s like double death right there 😯 I’m not sure if our friendship will be able to handle this one…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … some great things about recovery .

February 26, 2014 at 9:24 pm

You know that’s the last thing in the world I would ever want to do 😉 I like my spoons alive and well!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    February 26, 2014 at 8:08 am

K so I don’t even know what rice paper is….. do you hate me? Are you judging me right now? It’s ok if you are. Anyway, these look so good and definitely like a Miguel meal. You may have convinced me to make these simply for the fact that I want to see if I can without screwing up.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…WIAW+Weekend Fun

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    February 26, 2014 at 8:22 am

i have made rolls with my mom a lot in the summer, she loves to use that rice paper. I unfortunately despise the texture of them and never eat them. But I do love all the fresh ingredients that we put into them. Also I would love to face plant into that peanut sauce!
    kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Natural ways to cure acne

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    February 26, 2014 at 8:24 am

Sounds wonderful! I bet it would be delicious too with tofu!

You and C make me so so happy. Please talk about the 2 of you all the time!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…building up to the big one: raw apple sauce

February 26, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Oh man you don’t want to hear the ridiculous stories that come out of this apartment….but noted 😉

February 26, 2014 at 8:46 am

Haha thanks for the tutorial! I’ve only ever tried to make my own rice paper rolls once, and it did not end nicely….ya, I’m pretty terrible at it. Must fix that.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: A Day in the (Grad School) Life.

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    February 26, 2014 at 8:53 am

Love how you mentioned the intimidation factor, because they look so pretty…aka hard to make? But you make it look and sound simple. The flavors you paired together sound fabulous..I love adding mango to recipes…and shrimp…heyyyyooo. YUM! Thanks for the recipe, looks wonderful Davida! 🙂
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Red Wine Marinara over Spaghetti Squash

February 26, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for stopping by Kelly! I swear they are not hard to make at all!!! Plus even if they fall apart they still taste delish!

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    February 26, 2014 at 8:59 am

I’ve never cooked with rice paper but now I’m quite intrigued! If all else fails, I’ll just take a nice hot bath in that peanut dipping sauce. #normal
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday

Sarah Pie
    February 26, 2014 at 9:11 am

You had me at peanut sauce 🙂

These sound like something BF would totally love and they’d be just the kind of thing I’d make to try and impress his family, which while all lovely people, are convinced that I’m going to starve the poor boy someday because I only eat “weird” “healthy” foods.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…WIAW #37: Granola Addicts Anonymous

Kim @ BusyBod
    February 26, 2014 at 9:15 am

More gorgeous photos! I have never made rice paper rolls before and honestly never considered even trying because it seemed to intimidating. Your tutorial makes it look much more manageable though! I have to come up with something to bring to my Oscar party this weekend, so maybe I can attempt a veggie version. 🙂
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Back to basics: Smoothies

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    February 26, 2014 at 9:43 am

You make those rice paper rolls look so incredibly easy to fix! So when do you think “The Maven’s Spicy Peanut Sauce” is gonna be hitting store shelves?
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted…WIAW #6 of 2014

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    February 26, 2014 at 10:21 am

I made your PB Chocolate Chip blondies AGAIN! I brought them to our friend’s house and they loved them! They loved them so much that they asked for the recipe! GIRL – START YOUR COOKBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Guest Post {4}

The Zen Kat
    February 26, 2014 at 10:29 am

I’d love to try making these. I love peanut sauce and those shrimp rolls. So good!
    The Zen Kat recently posted…A Bridal Celebration

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    February 26, 2014 at 11:19 am

MMM, I see these in my future! Love the story about C’s family accepting you in. I am so lucky to have experienced the same thing. The sweetest is around Christmas on the years we spend with Kev’s family (which is hard for me) – they try to incorporate some of MY family’s traditions into their celebrations. So sweet 🙂
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…7 Exercise Tips for Workout Wednesday

Lauren @ ihadabiglunch
    February 26, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Ok confession time…I comment a lot and say “Oh yum I’m totally going to make this” and then forget about it. But this is PERFECT and I’m literally writing it down in my planner to make this ASAP – shrimp, peanut sauce, mango…all some of my favorites. This looks so light and delicious!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…WIAW: the flood and the food

February 26, 2014 at 9:41 pm

thank god for pinterest otherwise I would definitely forget about every single recipe I want to make! Hope you like them 🙂

Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner
    February 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm

This makes me really wish I wasn’t allergic to shellfish 🙂
    Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted…Day In The Life Edition: WIAW

February 26, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Aw mannn Morganne! Well a couple of people have said they were gonna try it with tofu and I bet they would still be awesome!

kathy @ vodka and soda
    February 26, 2014 at 1:36 pm

how you haven’t been asked to write a cook book is beyond me. Love the story of C’s family 🙂

i’m close with my inlaws; they’re such great, loving people.
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…humpday confessions

Mary Frances
    February 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Oh my lanta! Shrimp and mamgo? In an adorable little hand held roll? Yes yes yes!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Vegan Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    February 26, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Yes! Awesome recipe!! I made rice paper rolls for the first time this past summer. It was a mission. I had to go to China town to find the rice paper rolls and then spent about 30 minutes in the store looking for the darn things. And, like you pointed out, they don’t always come out looking beautiful. But I managed to get the hang of it. And by that I mean that I made my husband do it because he has more patience for things like that.

I love my husband’s sisters. They are both so great! I used to hang out with them a lot when we lived in Sydney but now not so much.
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Falling in Love

February 26, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I’m shocked you couldn’t find them anywhere closer! I think I bought them at those Asian grocery marts? M & M or something like that?!

For the record the first time I made rice paper rolls C totally stepped in. He also stepped in when I tried to do a sock bun….yes my boyfriend did a sock bun for me!

February 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Post recipes as often as you like – they are all so delicious looking that I don’t think anyone will ever get tired of them!!
    This one looks incredible – I’ve never used those paper rolls but I think it could be fun (and a huge mess if I get the boys involved!!).
    In-laws – it isn’t that we fight but they have never fully accepted me.
    Kim recently posted…What is Your Cure for Waking Up in a Funk?

February 26, 2014 at 2:32 pm

These look great, but imma let you make them for me! I’m too lazy! I need to fill you in on everything now that I’m back for a week!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…February: Unplugged Recap

February 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm

YES YOU DO. I need deets on everything. My life is exactly the same so send me an email with all the deets!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    February 26, 2014 at 2:34 pm

This seems super delicious and a tad too technical for me. I’m a spaz with stuff like this. Water the rice paper, but what if I water it too long? Not long enough? gaahh! This is why I let Riley cook for me, haha.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…WIAW- Chef Riley does it again

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
    February 26, 2014 at 2:52 pm

These are amazingly amazing. Come feed me.

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    February 26, 2014 at 3:40 pm

We buy shrimp rolls at least once a week. I know it’d be cheaper to make them, but you know how only your first one sucks? My second, third and fourth would suck too 🙂 The rice paper is intimidating. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…You had ONE job!!!

Laura@ Fit Running Mama
    February 26, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Yum! The peanut sauce looks amazing!!! I need to make shrimp or veggie rolls I always order them in restaurants!
    Laura@ Fit Running Mama recently posted…WIAW and More!

February 26, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I know, me too! I think C and I single-handedly kept a vietnamese restaurant open because of our addiction!

Amanda
    February 26, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I’m very close with Pete’s family, I love them like they’re my own! 🙂
    Amanda recently posted…Amanda’s Dirty Day

February 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I love rice paper rolls! I actually just made some last week! But no matter how many times I make them, mine always seem to suck. I like getting my sister to make mine if she’s around because hers always come out so nicely haha.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Pancakes, hockey, and brunch at Stoney’s

Lyric
    February 26, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I love rice paper rolls but I always stuff em way to full. Welp. I do want to try this recipe though! I think the fact that it makes just enough for a certain amount of rolls will help my over-stuffing problem!
    Lyric recently posted…WIAW: Snowed in

Rose
    February 26, 2014 at 9:15 pm

These look yummy… I have never made but love and always order fresh spring rolls from this little Viet take out by my house! Annnd due to some job/future plan situations, I currently live with my boyfriends parents ( and him..).. so yeeeeah we’re pretty close lol. It’s all good. Not ideal of course but they some of the most generous people I’ve ever known and we all get along great haha. One big happy fam 🙂

Reba- Not So Perfect Life
    February 26, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Your photos are beautiful. How do you get suck great natural lighting!!! Its going to be a request in my next kitchen. I’m pinning this for my bf.
    Reba- Not So Perfect Life recently posted…2014 Sochi Olympics Part 1

February 26, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Reba!!! It was a stipulation when we moved into our new apartment 😉 The landlord thought I was crazy checking the natural light for food photography lol

February 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I’m terrified of rice paper rolls. I’m also terrified of shrimp rolls because if I eat them I’ll die. (Not really, but I’ll get cold/plague-like symptoms). I think my somewhat-signifcant-other’s family hates me. At one point they were cool with me. Whoops.
    Cassie recently posted…How to Have a Successful Long Run

PB&Jess
    February 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I just need that sauce in my life pronto!
    PB&Jess recently posted…Slutty Peanut Butter Blondies

Julie
    February 27, 2014 at 12:27 am

I’m eating this tomorrow. Like, there’s shrimp and spring roll wrappers in my house, but I have to finish the chicken I made…
    Julie recently posted…WIAW: It’s always time for ice cream here. (Best breakfast, ice cream, & sushi!)

February 27, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Looks yummy!
    Cassie recently posted…fit tip Tuesday

Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits
    February 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I’ve had these vegetable rolls many times but never with mango. That sounds like the icing on the cake!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    February 28, 2014 at 4:55 am

Yummy! Many of my favorite fresh ingredients into rolls of deliciousness 🙂
    Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted…Malai Kofta

March 4, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Your practically sister-in-law is a genius because these look and sound incredible. I love that first picture.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    March 7, 2014 at 4:30 pm

That first picture!!! GORGEOUS!! I love making rice paper rolls, but it’s one of those things I really have to psyche myself up for, ya know? Haha! Maybe I’ll get out of my rabbit hole tomorrow and do just that!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…VEGAN Beautifying Beet Smoothie

Lauren
    March 11, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Not sure why it took me so long to get around to reading this post- probably because I was busy oggling the pictures of green donuts and all-things-pistachio. Anyhow, It made me feel very warm and fuzzy. Actually just fuzzy. My office is ~80 deg (F) and sweaty right now, so that accounts for the “warm” part. : ) [hint hint come to SF!]

The mango addition is genius! I am feeling lazy, so I might go back to the salad version but throw some mango slices in too. My other favorite thing to do with the spring rolls is add a bit chopped mint & basil!

March 12, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I wish it were 80 degrees here!!! It’s a snowstorm outside. I told Curt we need to move to San Fran TOMORROW.

Definitely add mango to the salad! I had actually planned to add basil but the grocery was all out. Would be delicious I’m sure.

btw Curt actually made the sauce and he was so proud of himself. I think he told the whole world!

www.facebook.com
    June 10, 2014 at 1:46 am

Hi there to every one, the contents existing at this web site are really amazing for
    people experience, well, keep up the good work
    fellows.
    http://www.facebook.com recently posted…http://www.facebook.com

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
    June 12, 2014 at 7:48 am

I really have to try rice paper rolls. They look so yummy. And I could use that sauce for pretty much everything!
    Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips recently posted…Bella & Brie Steakhouse Salad – #FWCon @RosenHotels Recipe Contest