breakfast gluten-free paleo smoothies

Black Forest Protein Smoothie

May 15, 2014

This year has been one steep learning curve! Besides discovering that I actually enjoy smoothies, I’ve also had some solid life lessons from which I have come to understand myself a whole lot better. Some of these lessons have shown me things I need to work on, like my allergy to folding clothes or my sassy attitude and others my likes/dislikes/needs/wants. One of my most important discoveries was realizing how much I enjoy writing.

Black Forest Protein SmoothieBesides math, English was my least favourite class in school. Having done my first 8 years of school in French Immersion, my English grammar skills sucked and continue to suck to this day. I appreciate the fact that I was taught how to properly structure an essay and understand poetry, but I never enjoyed writing. I get the feeling my teachers always sensed this because I never did well in English class. In University I avoided classes with papers. I loved studying psychology, but I also liked the fact that most of my classes involved multiple choice testing, which allowed me to bank on my best asset, my memory.

Despite writing a blog, I never actually look forward to writing posts. But once I sit down, the words just come. In fact it’s probably the easiest part of blogging. I don’t have perfect spelling or grammar and I’m pretty sure my 8th grade teacher, Ms. Rice (who probably still hates me) would throw this Black Forest Protein Smoothie at her screen if she were reading this.

Black Forest Protein Smoothie 2I never really appreciated how much I enjoyed the writing part until I started working on the cookbook. There are so many things I want to say about each recipe, but I can’t. I don’t have the room for it and if I allowed myself full creative range I’d probably end up with more of a novel than a cookbook.

It’s been fun discovering a whole new side to myself. I’m not about to publish my memoirs or anything but I think it might be nice to start doing more personal writing. I just laughed at the thought of me having a diary, but if I’ve learned anything it’s to “never say never!”

Black Forest Protein Smoothie

Cook Time 5 mins
Serves 1     adjust servings

• 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 ripe avocado
  • 1 cup frozen cherries (pitted)
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use North Coast Naturals Chocolate Whey)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • a couple drops of liquid stevia or preferred sweetener, to taste
  • optional: Scoop of coconut cream (from top of full fat coconut milk)

1. Add all ingredients above in the order they are listed.
  2. Blend until smooth.
  3. Serve immediately

Black Forest Protein Smoothie 4Do you enjoy writing? What’s something new that you’ve recently learned about yourself?

May 15, 2014 at 5:28 am

Look who is going all JK Rowling on us now.

I actually find blogging to be therapeutic and let the words just….go. Ms.Rice wouldn’t throw this smoothie at you if she had a brain. she’d draaaank it.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…The 3 F’s with Niki- D Grade Carbornara satisfies cravings

Laurie
    May 15, 2014 at 5:56 am

I have liked writing and been a grammar hound since ms. Bennett’s English class in 10th grade. I was a psych major as well and loved the multiple choice tests, but also had a fair amount of essay exams. One thing I’ve realized about myself is that I can be very high strung. Not high maintenance, but high strung. However, once you get me around another high strung person, I get totally zen. It’s actually helped me to be more low key overall.

Regarding any typos on my posts. I often type on my iPhone while walking, so I blame any errors on the multitasking.

May 15, 2014 at 9:31 am

It’s funny because I definitely have high strung tendencies that are brought out by people who are more high strung than me! My friends are all wayyyy more relaxed then me, with the exception of you 😉

Tina Muir
    May 15, 2014 at 6:26 am

Yummy! This looks wonderful! I, like you, only discovered I liked smoothies this year, and now I cannot get enough! Although unless I add oats and greek yogurt, I am hungry again within 2 hours! But this looks yummy! Pinning right now, it will be one I crave as I near the last few miles of my run…that is all I think about….fruity smoothies!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Secrets to Success as a Runner; Strides

May 15, 2014 at 8:09 am

I do really, really love writing. I always knew that I liked it and English was my best/favourite class through my elementary/high school career. But the only English class I took in university ruined it for me a little (I had to write an essay about how the borders on the comic book panels in a graphic novel influenced the story….umm….ya). Even now with thinking about jobs and careers and all that jazz, I want whatever job I end up with to include writing in some way.

Annnd I still need to try the avocado in a smoothie thing.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Lemon and Dill Pasta with Shrimp.

Meghan @fitnesscrEATures
    May 15, 2014 at 8:46 am

In true Canadian and Bieber fashion – never say never! Your writing is very clever and typically generates a laugh from this chick so yes, I’d say Ms. Rice can suck it because you’re the best. 🙂
    Meghan @fitnesscrEATures recently posted…#Miami and things

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 15, 2014 at 9:27 am

I was always good in English and at writing but was lazy and didn’t feel motivated enough to write. Over the years, it became a release for me and lands me where I am today…I am curious to see if you make me a smoothie convert. I never ever ever ever make them, think about them or drink them but part of me is getting curious…
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…TOL And Chocolate Chip Day

May 15, 2014 at 9:30 am

It’s all in the avocado! It makes it thick enough to eat it with a spoon! I use straws for visual effect in pictures but they never get used to actually drink the smoothies lol!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    May 15, 2014 at 9:38 am

I feel like I had gotten away from smoothies, especially during the colder weather months, but not that it’s getting warmer, I’ve definitely started to crave them again. Cherries and chocolate are such an awesome combo; plus, I love the addition of avocado so it’s really smooth and creamy.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Totally Random Bits of Info #15

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    May 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

Ok first of all, I write and edit for a living! Strunk & White’s grammar guide is like my bible. I have never ever noticed any issues with your grammar on this blog! I think you are just fine and being way too hard on yourself!

Also, I think there is something so informal about blogging that I don’t really focus on perfect grammar. It is more about the thought and stream of consciousness writing is ok. I am so glad you enjoy writing this blog because I love reading it!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…First Tri Recap

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    May 15, 2014 at 10:13 am

I love when the words just start to come out when you’re writing a blog post! I often find that the worst part is just starting … once I actually pick a topic and get the first few sentences down, the rest of the post comes much more easily! Can’t believe I’ve never used frozen cherries in a smoothie … yum!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…Why Hydrating After Exercise is Not Enough

Nikki @ Quest for Balance
    May 15, 2014 at 10:37 am

I find my love of writing really fluctuates. In university I LOVED writing essays. I found the entire process to be fun. Yah, I know, call me crazy right. I think the thing that is really holding me back from loving writing all the time is that I am really critical of my writing. Probably because I do a lot of article writing for my job, but I have a hard time letting go on the blog sometimes and not knit picking my stuff or thinking it sucks, which I have to do at work because it obviously has to be the absolute best quality it can be. I’m working on trying to enjoy the writing process more and not worry so much about grammar and structure on my blog because when I do let go and just write it is a lot of fun and is a great outlet to share my thoughts with the world.
    Nikki @ Quest for Balance recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday – The Takeout Edition

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    May 15, 2014 at 10:44 am

Haha I feel ya with the writing Davida! I sometimes hate to write the posts, usually when I have writers block…but thats usually only when i’m over thinking what to write!! But sometimes it comes out so smooth and fast! I totally hated writing like all my life, but now I love it! This smoothie looks really great, and a flavor combo i’ve never had! Pinned for a random morning realllll soon 😉
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Fries

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    May 15, 2014 at 10:58 am

NOM. I love cake, and I love cherries. Also chocolate. Also smoothies. Also you.

I was just pondering writing yesterday. It’s my strongest “school” skill, and it always has been. There’s nothing that pisses me off more than a grammar error, unless it’s intentional. Most of my grammar errors on my blog are made intentionally or so that people read it a certain way. ^^ like those non-sentences up there. Anyway, I was thinking about writing and decided that I am going to start on my first book, which has been in my mind-plan for a while. It’s my dad’s memoir. If you want to know more I will tell you through text so that no one steals my idea.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…A Whole Lotta Random

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    May 15, 2014 at 10:59 am

Looks yummy!

I’m the same when it comes to writing – I worry that I won’t know what to write and then when I sit in front of the screen it just flows! and I lose track of time!

Jess @dearhealthyness
    May 15, 2014 at 11:03 am

After startting the blog I discovered that I enjoy writing more than I thought I did… Sometimes I just feel like writing a novel, others an essay, but I truly love writing (even when my first language is spanish, I love english as well). Through writing I get myself lost and I just sit back and relax

Yummy recipe!
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…The Birthday Day

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 15, 2014 at 11:11 am

I think your posts always sound so good! You use a conversational voice which makes reading them smooth. I’m trying to write more like that. I never thought about using cherries in a smoothie. What a great idea!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…How Exercise Helps Control Stress

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 15, 2014 at 11:12 am

This smoothie sounds really good, I always have frozen cherries in my freezer too! When blogging I most never pay attention to grammar and just spill out my thoughts. I still haven’t tried adding avo to smoothies yet. This would be the perfect time!

Em @ Love A Latte
    May 15, 2014 at 11:35 am

I’m in love with smoothies lately. Making one every morning. This looks delicious!!! I wonder if I can just some cocoa powder instead since I don’t have any protein powder in the house.
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Being Productive

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    May 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm

You can tell you enjoy the writing because you are so good at it!
    I enjoy the writing part but I definitely struggle with censorship. I always worry that my readers will be bored by what I am saying or that I will rub someone the wrong way. It’s a delicate dance.

Anyway, this smoothie looks delish! Now I’m craving cherries!!
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Our Wedding: Post Ceremony Portraits

May 15, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Thank you for just giving me the biggest craving for a slice of my favourite cake. Ugh. And since I don’t have the time to whip one up from scratch this afternoon, I’m thinking that I might just have to have a smoothie for lunch. Especially since I just so happen to have half an avocado left over from lunch the other day. WOop!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #78 .

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    May 15, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Me and writing have been besties since 1997. Yay for diaries! God I’m embarrassing..
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…5 Tips for Apartment Hunting

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 15, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Math was never my favorite subject either but ironically I liked science!

This smoothie looks delicious! I like how you used avocado. It’s one of my favorite smoothie ingredients!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…iPhone Photo Gallery

Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner
    May 15, 2014 at 1:46 pm

This sounds delicious! Cherries are great for decreasing inflammation, helping to speed recovery, and I normally crave smoothies after a hot summer run! Looks like I have a new post run treat to try!
    Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted…New Additions

May 15, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I’ve never considered myself a writer – I was a science/math nerd in school and those are still my preferences!!
    I hope you are including stories in your cook book – I love when cookbook authors do that!
    Kim recently posted…The Day I Gave Up

Lauren @ ihadabiglunch
    May 15, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I love writing! I mean you can’t be a blogger and not love it, right? 🙂

Through my job I have to use Excel a lot (formulas and all) and I was panicking at first thinking I couldn’t do it/remember what I learned in school way back in the day. Imagine my surprise when after a week of practicing I realized I was right back in the swing of it 🙂 anytime working with numbers goes well for me I consider that a HUGE accomplishment haha
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Yoga Loft Chicago

May 15, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Um I love writing (obvs)… need to get started on my memoir, but I also feel like you should start on yours… then we can sell them together as a package deal and people can have book clubs about them. Deal? Deal.
    Cassie recently posted…Spring Superfood Salad

Amanda
    May 15, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Avocado? Who woulda thunk?! THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    May 15, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I would read your novel…. just saying. I am someone who never liked cherries, but channeling your ‘never say never’ mantra, maybe I should try this smoothie out! I also went to french immersion (in Portland OR of all places) and I think my math is horrible (understatement of the year!!!) because of it – learning math/the metric system in French screwed me up for life here in the US.
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…One Year in Denver & My Path to Public Health

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    May 15, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Cherries in a smoothie?? Genius, my friend! I love fresh cherries and I know they would be fab combined with chocolate in a smoothie. Also, I feel ya on the writing thing. I swear it’s the easiest part of blogging and it is such a great way to express yourself.
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…The most important piece of running gear

May 15, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Given my job in PR, freelance writing gigs, and having a blog, you may be able to tell that I like writing.

This smoothie looks delish! I love frozen cherries….and can’t wait to eat regular cherries in season!

For the record, I like your sassy attitude. My hubby always tells me I have one too, and I’m pretty sure he likes it! Ha.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…[Virgin] Bananas Foster Waffles

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    May 15, 2014 at 7:10 pm

um this smoothie sounds amaze!!
    kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Taste testing Ironside Cabernet

Mary Frances
    May 15, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Uber impressed you got avocado in here without it turning green! And, black forest?! I need asap. And that is so neat that you’ve discovered your love for writing! I agree, blogging is much more fun than an essay. Actually, my blog was an English assignment, so I have my teacher to thank for it! Your teachers would definitely thank you if you gave this to them, I know it.
    Mary Frances recently posted…Snickerdoodle Butterscotch Cookie Dough for Two

Danielle
    May 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I’m dieing over this smoothie right now! My grandmother used to always make us black forest cakes when we were younger for birthdays. I’m pinning this right now!
    Danielle recently posted…Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Squares

May 15, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Love the flavour of chocolate and cherries together!

I was never a big fan of English either – that’s why I stuck to the maths and sciences! I like writing blog posts when I feel inspired, but my true passion is the cooking side of blogging rather than the writing.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Del Dente

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    May 15, 2014 at 10:05 pm

For me, blogging sometimes comes super easy, and other times I struggle to find words. It totally depends on my head space- if I’m happy, the words flow. If I’m not, I’m stuck. I think it’s because I try and keep the blog fairly positive!

Words are flowing though for how much I looooove this smoothie. Looks so creamy and delicious and I love when breakfast tastes like dessert!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…oatmeal brûlée

Khushboo
    May 16, 2014 at 2:50 am

Blogging has definitely spurred a passion for writing in me which I never knew existed- this is the only time I’m in my life I’ve ever had the desire to be creative haha! Love the sound of this smoothie- it takes me back to my childhood. Black forest cakes were a family favorite when we were growing up! Have you tried white forest (white chocolate with peaches)- to die for!
    Khushboo recently posted…Happiness from weight loss

Random Ramblings #13 - The Healthy Maven
    May 16, 2014 at 5:02 am

[…] I ramble, I just want to say that I LOVED your comments on yesterday’s post. It was interesting to hear different people’s perspectives on writing and why some people […]

lindsay
    May 16, 2014 at 7:32 am

i actually don’t like writing, until i start typing, then i do. weird. But this smoothie? ALWAYS LIKE!
    lindsay recently posted…Kidspiration: Smoothies and Summer Camps

Anna
    May 16, 2014 at 11:06 am

Cherries in a smoothie are such a good idea! And cherries and chocolate is just about the best combo ever.

I do like to write and English was always one of my favorite subjects, but I can totally relate to not looking forward to writing posts until I’ve actually started, and that’s what keeps me coming back to it. Kind of like a workout.

I do not think your teacher would be throwing your smoothie at the screen because you’re actually a very good writer, so if she did that it would be solely due to a jealous rage 😉 You write in a very conversational tone and it works – I feel like I’m talking to you!
    Anna recently posted…Thinking Out Loud {5/15/14}

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    May 16, 2014 at 11:21 am

This looks awesome! I used to make the idiot’s version of this (just chocolate protein and cherries with almond milk) post workouts. Cherries and chocolate are such a beautiful combination. I also say that about peanut butter and chocolate and mint and chocolate, but for summer, cherries are where it’s at!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Raising the Barre: 8 Ways to Refine Your Focus In Pure Barre

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 16, 2014 at 6:31 pm

English has always been my weak point, so I never thought I would want to pursue writing or at least incorporate into one of my favorite activities (blogging). But I’ve discovered that I have a knack for writing both research papers and blog posts…I think. You’re right though— starting the post is the hardest, but once I get going, my mind just spills out words.
    Also, this smoothie looks BOMB.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Behind the Scenes #21: Current Banes of Existence

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    May 17, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Mannnn I had frozen cherries on my grocey list but I didn’t buy them because they were like five bucks! Kicking myself now. That coconut cream on top….ohhhhhhh the foodgasm.
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Workout I’m Loving Lately: Barre3

May 17, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I was an English major all through school so it’s no surprise I really enjoy writing. I wrote personal stuff growing up, but them somehow stopped when I became an adult (or got an adult job anyway). Blogging is what got me back into writing and I’ve been doing it for just over two years now and still going strong. I really, really enjoy it.

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    May 17, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I was actually the opposite in school (oh wait, I’m still in school what) and loved English. We are definitely on the same page about the math thing though. I actually considered an English major but realized very quickly that I only like writing if it is on my own terms, like blogging. Not paper writing. Blogging has and working in social media marketing has definitely made me fall even more in love with it though.

Also, I love that I get to claim partial credit to starting your smoothie addiction.
    Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted…Buff Bake: Bakery for the Fit

Michelle @ Vitamin Sunshine
    December 9, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I’ve never heard of North Coast Naturals Whey– I am going to have to check it out. Do you know what it’s sweetened with? I tend to go with just plain whey, because I am intolerant to stevia (I know, right?!), and avoid most other artificial sweeteners.

This smoothie looks ridiculous! I’m living in Malaysia right now, where things like frozen cherries aren’t a “thing.” One of the grocery stores imports things from Costco a few times a year– and I was able to score a bag of (yummy, but overly sweetened) tart dried cherries-
    Michelle @ Vitamin Sunshine recently posted…Orange Dreamcicle Green Smoothie

December 10, 2014 at 8:03 pm

It’s sweetened with a tiny amount of cane juice solids and inulin! No stevia. I’m not a stevia fan and in general am not a huge protein powder fan but I LOVE NCN!

Chocolate Milkshake Protein Smoothie | Amy's Healthy Baking