breakfast gluten-free smoothies snacks

Blueberry Superfood Smoothie

April 8, 2014

I kind of freak out about the human species on a daily basis. It blows my mind that we can start off as a tiny avatar-looking creatures and grow into self-sufficient giant adults. Our ability to evolve is NUTS and this change is almost always a good thing. That’s why I’ve just gotta roll with it that I was changed from a smoothie-hater to a two-a-day drinker in 24 hours. Or Gina, Amanda and Alexis are performing some kind of smoothie voodoo on me from afar.

Blueberry Superfood Smoothie // thehealthymaven.comI’m getting down with the smoothie big time. I am 90% sure this has to do with my newest gadget, my Ninja Ultima Blender. For years I was using a magic bullet and quite literally drinking the cool-aide that it was the greatest invention. That was until C informed me that the black substance it was leaking was not normal and we should probably part ways. Cue Ninja Blender saving the day.

This bad boy has some serious power. I basically snap my fingers and the smoothie is done and I swear it has some sort of technology that makes the smoothie the perfect, creamy consistency. I’m a spoon-eating smoother (new word) so creamy is KEY. Plus we all know how I feel about cleaning so my Ninja is basically my new bff because I can easily pull it apart and throw it into the dish-washer with no problemooo! Oh did I mention it comes with 3 single serve cups?! So that whole “magic bullet, easy clean” argument doesn’t hold anymore.

Blueberry Superfood Smoothie // thehealthymaven.comI know what you’re thinking, Davs got a free blender and in return is writing a nice review. LIES. As someone who has always wanted a Vitamix, I was skeptical. But those dreams were crushed in the best way possible. The Ninja is incredible and a 1/4 of the price of a Vitamix. So take that (insert punching emoji).

Besides being a born-again blendster (i’m just killing it with these new words!), I’ve also discovered the world of smoothie combinations. Turns out you can venture beyond banana-strawberry! Avocado is the most brilliant addition to smoothies since the invention of the blender, you will NOT taste the spinach and coconut milk tastes like jesus juice. You can imagine what happens when you combine all of these with some bloobs. Prepare to have your mind blown.

Blueberry Superfood Smoothie

Cook Time 2 mins
Serves 1     adjust servings

• 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 a ripe avocado
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I used the refrigerated kind)
  • 1 T honey (less if you don't like really sweet)
  • optional: sprinkle with hemp hearts or chia seeds

1. 1. Combine all in a blender and blend until smooth.

Blueberry Superfood Smoothie // thehealthymaven.comDisclaimer: I was given a free blender from Ninja for review purposes, however all opinions expressed are entirely my own. Seriously, this thing is amazing!

Are you a smoothie fan? Have you tried the Ninja Blender?

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    April 8, 2014 at 5:49 am

I have the Ninja Ultima! (But I am still not very impressed).
    But any blueberry smoothie is awesome!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Buckwheat English Muffin Buns

April 8, 2014 at 5:52 am

My blender. My cheap $50 Breville blender lies in my mother’s kitchen. I leave that home but bring my waffle maker to Sydney. Smart.

I love how this recipe has 1 instruction. Maven is at it again. Avocado in a smoothie? Really?
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Blogger collaborations- Are you being taken advantage of?

April 8, 2014 at 6:35 am

So I drink 2-3 smoothies a day sometimes… which I guess probably answers your question 😛 And I couldn’t help but laugh at the fact that you tossed avocado into a smoothie and posted it today. Let’s just say we’re riding similar wavelengths 😉 Must be something in the Canadian water…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. blends are lifesavers .

Lauren
    April 8, 2014 at 6:42 am

Ah I am so the same about Humans. I find it so ridiculously weird and mind boggling on a daily basis too! Sometimes I look around and I am like whaaat!? Anyway… I love smoothies. I was a big juice fan and now I am on the smoothie train. That smoothie looks so creamy and delicious – will definitely give it a go!

Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    April 8, 2014 at 6:43 am

Hmm. If you can learn to like smoothies, maybe I can too! I would totally eat it with a spoon though as well, I like to feel like I am eating, not drinking my food.
    Meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Taper Week Workouts And Race Day Essentials

Christine@ Apple of My Eye
    April 8, 2014 at 6:59 am

With the weather warming up here, I could definitely use more smoothies in my life! Love how refreshing and delicious this looks!!
    Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted…Tips on Getting Freelance Jobs

erin @ The Almond Eater
    April 8, 2014 at 7:07 am

jesus juice eh? I like it. Smoothies are my shit only I don’t have a Ninja meaning I have to clean my blender meaning it’s annoying meaning I just let it sit in the sink for days instead. Cute!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Cheesy Potato and Chicken Sausage Casserole

kathy@vodka and soda
    April 8, 2014 at 8:16 am

i’ve been dying for a vitamix but couldn’t possibly cough up that much money for a fucking blender so i’m going to look into this ninja one! thanks for the tip. btw, smoothies are my jam; i also love giving them to my kid who will drink them all day, errday.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy@vodka and soda recently posted…spring bonerisms

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    April 8, 2014 at 8:26 am

This sounds like ma kinda smoothie, lady. I love avo in smoothies. Sooooooo thick and creamy. I’m a spoonster with my smoothies as well.
    Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake recently posted…Confessions of an ex-dieter: A long overdue update

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    April 8, 2014 at 8:40 am

I love smoothies!! I love them the most on a hot summer morning after the gym, its hard for me to drink them when it is so cold out.
    kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Marvelous Monday

April 8, 2014 at 8:44 am

I’m freakin’ obsessed with my Ninja. No frozen banana chunks or spinach bits for me! And I haven’t tried the avocado in smoothie thing yet…intrigued, yet a tad afraid!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Why I Wasn’t Convinced by “It Starts With Food”.

Shashi
    April 8, 2014 at 8:48 am

You and A
    Shashi recently posted…Chicken & Tomato Curry

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    April 8, 2014 at 8:49 am

Shut the front door, I actually have all these ingredients! Except the coconut milk, but I will buy some if i can try this smoothie. I’m poor, so I have a magic bullet that was a Christmas gift from 3 years ago. It blends stuff, but apparently not anywhere as good as a Ninja. Now I wish I had one…
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Build-it-up treadmill workout

Shashi
    April 8, 2014 at 8:50 am

I just saw that Amanda used an avocado in her smoothie – you gals are not just blends but psychic blends with Ninja blenders! 😉
    I am still on the fence about a ninja vs a cuisinart – I need one for nutbutter mainly and still trying to figure out the best option – have you used yours to make nutbutter yet?
    Shashi recently posted…Chicken & Tomato Curry

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    April 8, 2014 at 8:53 am

I absolutely love smoothies! I like making them for breakfast! They’re fast, easy and healthy! I especially love when they’re thick and creamy like this one. It looks delish!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Sweet and Savory

Jess @dearhealthyness
    April 8, 2014 at 8:56 am

I loooooooooooooooooooove smoothies, that said I hate the magic bullet!! It’s the only resource I have for now, unless I go to mom’s house for one more sophisticated! I’ve heard good and bad things about the ninja, so I’m not sure if I’ll buy it, or save more for a vitamix :/
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Find a Reason To Go Back

Kim @ BusyBod
    April 8, 2014 at 9:10 am

Thanks for all the giggles this morning! I am actually shopping around for a super blender so I’m very excited to hear you are having such a good experience with this one. I have the Ninja Pulse which is amazing and super convenient for quick smoothies but it is certainly not powerful, and it’s baby blades can’t handle greens (I just turn leaves into flakes, which honestly just makes them more likely to be stuck in teeth, not a good look). I was terrified by the price of the Vitamix so I figured I was stuck – looks like I was wrong! Fabulous!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…No plan + small victories

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    April 8, 2014 at 9:56 am

I’m so glad to see you’ve become a smoothie lover. This looks seriously amazing. I don’t use blueberries and avocados in my smoothies enough. I’m a huge fan of hemp hearts on the top of smoothies. I love the added texture. Can’t wait to try this one out!
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Weekend Rehash

April 8, 2014 at 10:39 am

SOOOOO PRETTY!! I want a smoothie now… what type of coconut milk do you use? You can let me know after your Benadryl coma wears off.
    Cassie recently posted…Getting it Together on the Road: Savannah

April 10, 2014 at 9:59 am

I used the refrigerated unsweetened coconut. Can’t remember the brand…grocery store was out of almond milk and I so I bought it and it wasn’t half bad!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    April 8, 2014 at 10:51 am

I love smoothis! I made one last night for dinner with espresso powder and a plantain, so good! I’ll have to try this one. I almost always add spinach since it adds greens and you never notice it.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Championship nerves

Brittany
    April 8, 2014 at 11:12 am

I’m a smoothie whore, and while I believe your Ninja chopped shit up…I am partial to my Blendtec. My mom also just bought a Vitamix. They are just so versatile with things OTHER than smoothies. Plus I worked at a smoothie shop and just can’t go with anything else. They last forever. SORRY!! PLEASE STILL BE MY FRIEND! This smoothie looks divine, and the hemp seeds make the whole thing!
    Brittany recently posted…Roaring Good Times

Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan
    April 8, 2014 at 11:55 am

Ok, this looks/sounds like serious heaven on earth. I was looking for a smoothie recipe for lunch this afternoon and this one might have just won me over.
    Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan recently posted…Peanut Butter Cup Banana Oats

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    April 8, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I have a smoothie every morning and I put blueberries in it!! I have yet to use avocado in it though..it seems like a huge trend right now 😀 I however, don’t have a fancy blender. I dream of having one soon…to many things I need before a new blender! What kind of protein powder do you use? I really never buy it and use greek yogurt instead. Happy to see you love smoothies now, can’t wait for more recipes!! Thank you Miss Davida 🙂
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Roasted Spring Vegetables & Mixed Green Salad

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    April 8, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I love bad boys. I am attracted to them. I cannot keep my MOUTH off of bad boys, so perhaps I should purchase this Ninja………………….. Hiiii-YA!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Not So Devilish Deviled Eggs

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    April 8, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I have not tried the Ninja Blender but I probably need to because my husband almost broke ours on Sunday trying to make a smoothie (he added frozen fruit plus yogurt and then tried to blend-bless him). I do love avocado in smoothies!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Go Veggie!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    April 8, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I’m glad you saw the light because hot damn smoothies are good. Actually I think blueberry + coconut is my favorite smoothie combo. My pumpkin chocolate smoothie comes in at a close second though. Annnnnd now that I’ve seen the avocado light you can bet your button that they’ll be making their way into my smoothies too.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Spring Vegetable Chicken Soup

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    April 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Now that the temps are warming up, we are definitely approaching smoothie-all-the-time weather….and this one sounds so good!
    Amy @ Elephant Eats recently posted…House Update #5 + a bonus I’ve been “cooking up” 😉

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    April 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I think you did this just to be cruel (not really!) … since I’m avoiding blueberries, vanilla, coconut, and supposed to be avoiding spinach but haven’t quite gotten there, this is pretty much a no-go for me. It looks AMAZING, though, and I’m glad you enjoyed your Ninja! I love my Vitamix, but I’ve read great things about Ninjas!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…Dancing in the Shower, and Sisterhood/ Liebster Awards

Kat
    April 8, 2014 at 3:48 pm

mmmm I love love love me some smoothies!! Its just now heating up to the point where I’m really craving them, so you can bet I will be adding this recipe to my list! Blueberries and coconut are such a perfect combo!!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    April 8, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Ooo! I’ve never added avocado to my smoothie before, but that sounds so dreamy and smooth. Like Ryan Gosling.
    I can’t wait to drink smoothies on a more regular basis…just waiting for the heat to hit! I’ve already been drinking more of them. Something to add in your next smoothie— coconut oil. I got the idea from Robyn @ The Real Life RD, and it’s fantastic! Do ittttt.
    My friend has a Ninja blender and I must say, it does live up to ninja status. Since I’m a ninja myself, that’s saying a lot. 😉
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…I Have Awesome Friends

Amanda
    April 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

We have a Ninja and we LOVE it! I can’t believe you ever hated smoothies though. That’s whack!

April 8, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I adore my Ninja Blender too! I love it for smoothies, but also for making dressings, sauces, and even breadcrumbs. It’s magical. I haven’t been making a lot of smoothies lately but now that it’s warming up I can’t wait to hop back on the smoothie bandwagon. I really want to experiment more with different additions than I usually do – like avocado, coconut milk, coconut water, etc!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Pita Break Zero Low Low OneBun Review + Hummus and Feta Veggie Sandwich

April 8, 2014 at 9:20 pm

I don’t have the Ninja blender (I’m not a big smoothie maker/drinker) but I have the Ninja crock pot and I love it!! I’m assuming that it has to be the same Ninja family!
    Kim recently posted…The Big 13!

Sarah Pie
    April 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm

My BF actually just got me a Ninja for our anniversary this year (boy knows that way to my heart) and I agree with you that it is awesome! Plus those single serve cups totally rock my socks and limit my dishes, which is a double win in my book 🙂

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    April 10, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I am adding this to my smoothie roster; yum!!
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…10 Yoga Poses to Start or End Your Day Right + Video [WellYoga Series]

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    April 16, 2014 at 5:32 am

Jesus juice! Haha, LOVVVVVVVVE it! And girl, I’m with you on being a spoon-eater smoother…and totally digging all the Dav’s Dictionary today! 😉 Avocado is seriously the best thing to hit a smoothie since spinach…nothing compares to the buttery creamy deliciousness it lends!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Marvelously MY Way!

50 Green Smoothie + Juice Recipes Your Kids Will Beg You For
    April 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm

[…] Blueberry Superfood Smoothie by, The Healthy Maven […]

Blueberry Banana Green Smoothie
    April 18, 2014 at 4:05 pm

[…] that that madness is resolved, I can finally share this awesome smoothie recipe with you! Much like Davida over at The Healthy Maven, I was recently converted to a smoothie lover after buying a new blender. […]

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    April 26, 2014 at 10:07 am

I tried the Ninja but I seriously think I must have been doing something wrong because it never blended things right for me….weird!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…why your medicine cabinets should contain herbs and a traditional medicinals review and giveaway!

Virtual Tea Time [19]hello, veggy!
    April 27, 2014 at 3:35 am

[…] 3. Blueberry Superfood Smoothie […]

5 Healthy Smoothie Recipes - I Heart Vegetables
    May 14, 2014 at 7:28 am

[…] […]

Black Forest Protein Smoothie - The Healthy Maven
    May 15, 2014 at 5:01 am

[…] year has been one steep learning curve! Besides discovering that I actually enjoy smoothies, I’ve also had some solid life lessons from which I have come to understand myself a whole […]

Lexi's Clean Kitchen – HFF: Blueberries {Easy Blueberry Jam}
    June 13, 2014 at 8:00 am

[…] Blueberry Superfood Smoothie from The Healthy Maven […]

Whole Juice and Green Smoothies Recipes
    January 7, 2015 at 11:57 am

[…] Blueberry Superfood Smoothie // The Healthy Maven […]

What to Eat After You Get Your Braces: Smoothie Recipes
    March 11, 2015 at 2:51 pm

[…] Blueberry Superfood Smoothie from The Healthy Maven […]

UN SMOOTHIE PARA EMPEZAR LA SEMANA | FARMAVIDA CANARIAS
    April 13, 2015 at 4:38 am

[…] Entre los más populares Superalimentos se encuentran los arándanos y también las semillas de Chía. Si necesitas inspiración en esta mañana de lunes -¡o en cualquier otra!- te proponemos por ejemplo la receta de ‘Blueberry Superfood Smoothie’ que la foodie y bloguera Davida presenta en su blog The Healthy Maven. […]

Healthy 5 Ingredient Granola: Easy Breakfast Recipe - The Wellness Hygienist
    May 11, 2015 at 4:22 am

[…] This smoothie is creamy, dreamy, and full of bloobs. […]

Anna
    December 13, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Just pinned it for breakfast smoothies. Simple recipe but I like it. What kind of Vanilla protein do you like to use ?
    Anna recently posted…Best Ninja Blender 2017 – Buyer’s Guide

Omega Blog
    June 28, 2017 at 4:55 am

About The Blueberry Hemp Superfood Power Snack

[…] access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news f […]

Leslie
    September 21, 2017 at 10:05 am

Thank you for the awesome recipe! I’ve tested it and it is awesome! I also found some more info about ingredients that can be added – it works perfectly.