This page contains some affiliate links. Please review my disclosure policy.
An ultra-thick and creamy smoothie, this classic banana peanut butter smoothie tastes just like a milkshake, but packed full of nutrition! Made with just 4 simple ingredients that you almost definitely have on hand! The perfect breakfast or snack smoothie.
Table of Contents
I declare this the summer of smoothies! And no, not your average breakfast smoothie but the summer of afternoon pick-me-up smoothies! I’ve never been a non-breakfast smoothie eater before but now that we live in an area with full-blown summer (that sees temps above 80 degrees!) I’m down for anything that will cool me off. This classic banana peanut butter smoothie is no exception.
I’ll be honest, this recipe is for 1 person but I almost never make it for one. C and I have been enjoying their sweetness almost everyday in the afternoon so I generally double the recipe. I’m going to suggest you do the same, because trust me – your partner/kids/neighbor…really anyone….is going to want some.
Ingredients in a Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Bananas (fresh or frozen) – frozen bananas will make for a thicker smoothie and they’re also a great source of potassium.
- Peanut Butter – Either chunky or creamy peanut butter works. Feel free to sub in any other kind of nut butter or seed butter.
- Almond milk– or other non-dairy milk (like oat milk or coconut milk) or dairy milk
- Ice – essential for that icy cold smoothie taste
- Optional – chia seeds or ground flax for thickness and nutrition
You will also need a high-speed blender. I personally use a Vitamix and love it!
How to Thicken Your Smoothies
For a nice extra thick creamy texture there’s a few things you can do:
- Use Frozen Bananas: Peel and store your bananas in the freezer to give your banana peanut butter smoothie more of a milkshake consistency
- Use Ice: This is baseline what you should use to thicken your smoothie, but especially if your fruit is not frozen!
- Reduce your Liquid: If drinking this smoothie with a straw, stick to the 1/2 cup of liquid recommended. However if you prefer to turn this into a smoothie bowl, reduce liquid to a 1/4 cup. It may take a little extra to get the smoothie going in the blender but it will turn out nice and thick and you can eat it with a spoon!
- Add ground flax seeds or chia seeds: both flax and chia are super absorbent so they help thicken up a smoothie. Plus they’re also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.
Substitutions and Variations
- To give this peanut butter banana smoothie a veggie boost add a handful of spinach or kale (roughly 1-2 cups) to your blender. I promise you won’t be able to taste it!
- Allergic to peanuts? Feel free to sub any other nut or seed butter
- Want a chocolate peanut butter smoothie? Add 1 tbsp of cocoa powder to the mix.
- For a caffeine boost, try freezing leftover coffee or cold-brew in an ice cube tray and use those in place of regular ice cubes
- Get an extra dose of protein and flavor by adding a scoop of protein powder or a 1/2 cup of greek yogurt
- Add extra fruit! Love berries? Mango? Sky’s the limit! Just add in another cup of fresh or frozen fruit and a couple extra tablespoons of liquid.
- Make them popsicles! Add to ice pop molds and freeze for a summer smoothie ice pop!
More Smoothie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Mango Almond Butter Smoothie
- Matcha Mint Smoothie Bowl
- Tahini Date and Cinnamon Smoothie
- Almond Chai Green Smoothie
- Peach Smoothie
- Watermelon Smoothie
- Healthy Acai Bowl
Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
An ultra-thick and creamy smoothie, this classic banana peanut butter smoothie tastes just like a milkshake, but packed full of nutrition! Made with just 4 simple ingredients that you almost definitely have on hand!
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 2 minutes
- Yield: 1 smoothie 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Blend
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 large banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy or dairy milk)*
- 1–2 tbsp peanut butter
- optional: 1 tbsp ground flax or chia seeds
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth, roughly 30 seconds.
- Add to a cup and drink immediately
*Reduce to 1/4 cup for a smoothie bowl. Top with sliced banana, more peanut butter and any other toppings of choice.