breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola vegan

Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal {Vegan + Gluten-Free}

November 29, 2015

I have major Christmas brain right now. The other day, I turned to C and asked him what he wanted to eat for Christmas Morning breakfast, and I don’t even celebrate Christmas! C’s family has let me hijack theirs though, and this has turned into me obsessing over what to make Christmas morning.

Because we don’t have Thanksgiving in November in Canada, there’s nothing to break up Halloween and Christmas. So come November 1st, there are trees everywhere and Christmas songs blasting out of every coffee shop. You pretty much have no choice but to think about Christmas for 2 months straight.

And truthfully, I’m okay with it.

A delicious recipe for Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal that is vegan and gluten-free and packed-full of fiber. An easy weekday breakfast or weekend brunch recipe to serve a crowd.I’m a Jew who loves Christmas and I have no shame in my game. Admittedly, what I love most about it is the secular stuff (tree, santa, shopping sales…) but also the opportunity to spend time with C’s family. He says I’m the best girlfriend to bring home because I’m always available on US Thanksgiving and Christmas. Who knew that Canadian Jews were such a hot commodity?

The reason I bring all of this up is because in past years I’ve struggled a bit with mastering the perfect Christmas breakfast. C’s family is the most easy-going ever but I hold myself to a high standard and our gluten-free cinnamon rolls were a little too crumbly for my preference.

The first year I visited, C and I did creme brûlée french toast, which was insanely delicious but a tad too indulgent for THM. The next year we did cinnamon roll pancakes and the year after that I attempted gluten-free cinnamon rolls that I mentioned kind of fell apart. Last year we were home in T.O. so I made C the most buttery, gluten-filled cinnamon rolls and there’s a descent chance I ate oatmeal…because when do I not eat oatmeal?

A delicious recipe for Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal that is vegan and gluten-free and packed-full of fiber. An easy weekday breakfast or weekend brunch recipe to serve a crowd.I kind of love obsessing over what we’re gonna eat for Christmas morning (clearly…because I’m still talking about it), but I’m also realizing how much I stress myself out on what should be one of the happiest, most relaxing days of the year.

So this year I’m thinking this Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal will be the plan! It’s put together in under 10 minutes and requires only hands-off baking. It’s also so so sooooo delicious and after a big Christmas meal you may just find yourself wanting something a little lighter.

But knowing me I’ll probably end up making this plus some other extravaganza, because I’ve yet to learn my Christmas lesson.

Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal {Vegan + Gluten-Free}

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 40 mins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Make flax eggs and set aside for 10 mins.
  3. Spray or grease an 8-9 inch baking dish with coconut oil.
  4. In a large bowl combine oats, oat flour and cinnamon.
  5. Add in bananas, milk and maple syrup and stir to combine.
  6. Stir in flax eggs before adding crushed walnuts.
  7. Mixture should be thick but if too thick add a bit more milk.
  8. Spread out in baking dish and bake for 40 minutes.
  9. Top with nut butter, coconut cream (as pictured), maple syrup or toppings of choice.
  10. Store in refrigerator and heat in microwave if leftover.

Notes

*I make my oat flour by grinding rolled oats in the blender.

Do you have a Christmas morning tradition? I’d love to hear what recipes you like to make!

Kelsey
    November 29, 2015 at 8:27 am

How convenient for my fridge and pantry to have all of these ingredients…this might happen today! =)
    Kelsey recently posted…Currently / November 2015

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    November 29, 2015 at 9:12 am

We’ve never really done a “special” breakfast, but growing up when my brother and I would wake-up at 6am shaking out parents awake, we would usually get ready in our spots on the living room floor with our stocking first, while we waited for my dad to go down the street and get us bagels, doughnuts, and hot chocolate (or coffee)!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Friday Finisher 11/27/15

ethel
    November 29, 2015 at 9:32 am

This sounds perfect for any morning! I’d like to have the nutrition count if possible. (type 2 diabetic and don’t cook anything without knowing counts)
    Thanks!

December 1, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Hi Ethel. Totally understand where you’re coming from, but unfortunately I do not calculate the nutrition on my recipes. Feel free to enter them into a site like MyFitnessPal which can easily pull up the nutrition –> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

ethel
        December 1, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Thanks for the link, Davida. I’ll check for the info on MyFitnessPal.

rachel @ athletic avocado
    November 29, 2015 at 8:22 pm

My family usually has monkey bread for breakfast, it’s totally unhealthy but it’s only once a year! This oatmeal looks amazing! who doesn’t like oatmeal or banana bread????
    rachel @ athletic avocado recently posted…Gingerbread Oatmeal Brûlée

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    November 29, 2015 at 9:28 pm

We usually have my moms homemade nut roll and grapefruit for Christmas morning breakfast. And some of the candies we get in our stocking haha
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…Pumpkin Cinnamon Raisin Balls

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    November 29, 2015 at 10:36 pm

HELLOOOO breakfast 4ever 😍 We don’t really have any traditions, but I always like to cook up some fun stuff. You got me dreaming of cinnamon rolls so maybe I’ll try some out!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Happy Thanksgiving!

Tash
    February 7, 2016 at 5:52 am

This looks amazing!!! Do you mash the banana before putting it in? Or just slice and stir through?

February 7, 2016 at 10:51 am

yes! Mash it up 🙂 Sorry – I’ve adjusted the recipe instructions!

Danielle
    February 25, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Unfortunately, this is not vegan, being that it has honey in it. But it looks delicious.

February 25, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Not sure what you mean! There’s no honey in this recipe but if there ever is feel free to replace with maple syrup!

Elise
    March 30, 2016 at 10:01 am

Can you sub regular eggs for the flax eggs? Just stumbled upon your website from another blogger and I’m really liking everything you’re posting!

Tanya
    December 14, 2016 at 3:59 am

Could this be made the night before, kept in the fridge overnight, and baked Christmas morning?

Tanya
    December 14, 2016 at 4:02 am

Also, do you think it would work if you traded out the oat flour for almond flour?

December 15, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I think it would work out! You may need to decrease the liquid slightly because the almond flour may not absorb as much liquid as the oat flour, but worth a shot!

Allergymom
    December 21, 2016 at 9:10 pm

My son is allergic to nuts (tree nuts and peanuts) do you recommend just omitting the walnuts or replacing them with something like sunflower seeds?

Linnea
    January 19, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Any thoughts about substituting in steel cut oats instead of rolled oats? The way I typically make steel cut oats is to bring them to a boil for a few minutes, then turn the heat off and let sit overnight – in the morning, I just heat up the pot of oats and they’re ready to eat. I’m trying to think of a way to do a similar process prior to baking this recipe. If you have any ideas, great! If not, I’ll experiment… I’m also planning to sub pureed pumpkin for the mashed banana, since I have fresh pumpkin on hand.

January 22, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Hi Linnea! I wouldn’t recommend substituting steel cut oats. They take much longer to bake and have a slightly different dry to wet ratio. Wish I could be more helpful!