dogs paleo snacks Uncategorized vegan

DIY HOLIDAY IN A JAR: Grain-Free Sweet Potato Dog Treats

November 23, 2015

Treat your pup with these Grain-Free Sweet Potato Dog Treats made from just 5 wholesome and healthy ingredients. Your dog will love eating them as much as you enjoy spoiling them!Treat your pup with these Grain-Free Sweet Potato Dog Treats made from just 5 wholesome and healthy ingredients. Your dog will love eating them as much as you enjoy spoiling them!Ever since we got Rhett I’ve come to fully understand what it means when they say that your dog becomes a part of your family. My life has come to revolve around this pup to a point where I sometimes wonder if my obsession is inappropriate…and then I meet another dog owner and feel completely at ease!

Dog owners are whole-heartedly infatuated by their fur babies. They say things like “fur babies” for gods sake. And yes, I’ve become one of those people. So it can’t be that surprising that I’m posting about homemade dog treats.

I was a ticking time-bomb.

Treat your pup with these Grain-Free Sweet Potato Dog Treats made from just 5 wholesome and healthy ingredients. Your dog will love eating them as much as you enjoy spoiling them!The only problem with creating a dog-friendly treat recipe for Rhett is that he’s the pickiest eater (kind of like his mother…hi Sab!). Like most dogs he loves meat, but peanut butter isn’t really his jam (punny). He has a weakness for all things dairy but C and I had to live through the aftermath of that only once to ban dairy.

But the other day I was eating sweet potatoes and he kept begging for them. So it turns out the guy likes sweet potatoes! A man after my own heart.

That gave me the idea to develop a recipe for grain-free dog treats using sweet potato, because they’re super nutritious and tasty and helped create the right consistency for treats.

Treat your pup with these Grain-Free Sweet Potato Dog Treats made from just 5 wholesome and healthy ingredients. Your dog will love eating them as much as you enjoy spoiling them!As you can see by the look on his face, he LOVED his treats. If you caught it on Snapchat, he literally launched himself at me when I offered him his first one. He didn’t even attempt to sit for me. I was too thrilled to care.

Want to know the real way to your friends and family’s hearts? Spoil their dogs! Dog owners know that any gift for their animal is the ultimate gift for them, which is why these Grain-Free Sweet Potato Dog Treats make a killer DIY Holiday Gift in a Jar!

Grain-Free Sweet Potato Dog Treats

• Total Time: 3 hours

1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
  2. Grease two baking trays with coconut oil.
  3. In a large bowl combine almond meal, coconut flour and poultry seasoning.
  4. Add in sweet potato and 1/4 cup of liquid and stir until well-combined. If mixture is too thick to roll out, add in more liquid.
  5. Mixture should be thick and dry but not crumbly.
  6. Divide dough into two parts and roll out each part using your hands (you can use a rolling pin, but you don’t have to!) to a 1/4 inch thick.
  7. Use cookie cutter and place cookies on tray.
  8. Re-roll dough and use cutter until all dough has been used.
  9. Baked for 25 minutes.
  10. Swap trays so top tray goes to bottom and bottom to top and then bake for another 25 minutes.
  11. Turn oven off and let cookies cool in closed oven.
  12. Remove from oven and let cool completely on tray for at least 1 hour.
  13. Store in mason jars.

Note: They may get a bit soft in mason jar so ideally store with lid off but they still hold together even when stored in closed mason jar. will keep for 1-2 weeks

Notes

Inspired by THIS RECIPE

Treat your pup with these Grain-Free Sweet Potato Dog Treats made from just 5 wholesome and healthy ingredients. Your dog will love eating them as much as you enjoy spoiling them!Make sure you check out Fit Foodie Find’s jar recipe this week for Peppermint Bath Salts! It’s flavored with essential oils and colored with pomegranate juice for a festive addition to your loved ones baths.

diy-peppermint-bath-salt21Are you a dog owner? How do you spoil your pets?

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    November 23, 2015 at 8:39 am

I don’t have a dog, but Rhett is sure making me wish I had one! My first thought about this recipe is… are these human-friendly? Because by the looks of your ingredients, I’d probably eat these myself. HA, is that appropriate? 🙂
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Gingerbread Granola [vegan, gluten-free]

November 23, 2015 at 8:52 am

Totally! It was actually a weird struggle I had because even though all of the ingredients were legit, I knew they were made for Rhett so it made me feel weird about trying them haha

Tonya
      April 29, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Absolutely love the sweet potato dog treat….but was wondering my vet suggested I give two of my Fur babies coconut oil daily for their skin but they hate it eeekkkk…,do you think it’s possible to add it to your sweet potato treat recipe with maybe a bit more flour to keep it thick and still have them bake up right????

April 30, 2016 at 3:46 pm

It could potentially work! I imagine it would be fine, but I don’t know what the exact proportions would be having not tested it. Hope it works out!

Sara @ Oats & Rows
    November 23, 2015 at 9:10 am

gahhhh, Rhett is so stinkin’ cute! I must make these treats for my frenchie, Winston. I spoil him by taking him the dog park weekly (sometimes the dog bar..) and letting him sleep in the bed. I just can’t say no to his sweet, little face. I am definitely a crazy dog mom for sure!
    Sara @ Oats & Rows recently posted…Friday Faves! 11/20

November 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm

DOG BAR? I need this in my life! I mean Rhett needs it…but mostly me 😉

She Rocks Fitness
    November 23, 2015 at 10:44 am

I spoil little Lucy all the time, but she actually gets more spoiled by my Mom! 🙂 I love to stuff Lucy’s kong with peanut butter and cereal…She absolutely LOVES it! XOXO
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Brussels Sprouts Lardon

November 23, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Rhett goes wild for his kong full of cream cheese. It’s literally the worst for us afterwards but he loves it 🙂

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    November 23, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Such an adorable idea! Mr. Chow is going to love these! He’s a vegan though so I’m going to have to sub the seasoning 🙂
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…5 New Natural Beauty Products + a $250 Giveaway!

Jan
      March 29, 2016 at 9:06 am

Yeah I’d leave out the spice and use bone broth instead of water. Great, thanks

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health
    November 23, 2015 at 9:13 pm

i think Bailey will love this..and dogs are the BEST 🙂
    dixya @ food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Chocolate Chai Bread

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    November 23, 2015 at 10:10 pm

That face!!! I can’t wait to make these for my little fur baby Duke (who I only get to see when I’m not in school *tears*). He’s allergic to literally everything – his allergy report said he was allergic to humans – but he is the absolute sweetest thing in the whole world. I’m obsessed, can’t you tell? Hope he’s not allergic to these!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Chai Spice Mix + Vegan Chai Latte

November 24, 2015 at 8:26 am

hahahahahha oy! I think we need to get Rhett allergy tested cause he’s always getting sick 🙁 It better not be humans LOL

Mia Staysko
        December 2, 2015 at 9:51 am

OMG Rhett is beautiful! These cookies look pretty good too, though I’d be adding some meat in the form of canned baby food. Haven’t made dog treats forever so you’ve just inspired me 🙂 BTW, if your dog is on commercial dog food, it is likely giving him allergies. Grains are not meant for dogs and kibble is basically crackers for dogs.

December 4, 2015 at 11:01 am

Yup totally. He’s on special food ordered through his vet 🙂 Only the best for the pets!

Caroline
    December 14, 2015 at 11:36 am

Davida! First of all…Rhett is adorrrrrable! That face! Second…totally loving these treats! I’ve been playing around with dog treat recipes for my pup too, but nothing I’ve created look or sound as perfect as these! I’ve got a Yorkie who LOVES to eat, so we try really hard to only give her lots of veggies and stay away from grains….these babies fit the bill! Can’t wait to make them, jar them up and put them under the tree! Happy holidays! xo
    Caroline recently posted…Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

The Healthy Maven
      December 15, 2015 at 8:47 am

Aw what a sweet gift for the pup to put under the tree! Yorkies are too cute! I know he will love these. Rhett gobbled them up!

ZeeJay
    May 1, 2016 at 1:33 pm

The poultry seasoning has onion. I read onion was good for dogs. https://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/homemade_dog_foods.php Do you have any alternatives for flavor?

ZeeJay
    May 1, 2016 at 1:33 pm

That should read onion is NOT good for dogs.

The poultry seasoning has onion. I read onion was not good for dogs. https://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/homemade_dog_foods.php Do you have any alternatives for flavor?

Lauren Barber
      February 28, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Agreed. As a vet student, these treats are not good to give to dogs. Onion powder is a hepatotoxin to dogs and can cause liver and renal failure. You use a minimal amount but it would be safe to avoid it in recipes since you do not know the size/ quantities given of the dogs using this recipe.
      I suggest you adjust it or consult a veterinarian.

Monica
    May 1, 2016 at 7:21 pm

What is the calories of each biscuit?

Stephanie
    May 8, 2016 at 7:21 pm

I attempted to make this but my dough is too thin to roll out. I tried adding some more of the Coconut Flour, but still kind of too sticky for making treats. I am thinking I added too much water. Any ideas? I don’t want to waste the dough.

Bobbi
      July 12, 2016 at 10:03 pm

I made these for my dog and they are very crumbly, when I really packed them I was able to make 1 inch round balls but still very dry. When I originally flattened them out about 1/2-1/4 inch think and began cookie cutting them they fell apart ;( any suggestions?

July 13, 2016 at 2:50 pm

It could be your coconut flour that may be more absorbent. Try adding a bit more water next time until it’s stickier. Hope this helps!

Frame Blog
    August 15, 2016 at 10:07 am

Man Snacks Treat Jar

[…] struggle I had because even though all of the ingredients were legit, I knew the […]

Puvre Blog
    January 10, 2017 at 10:14 pm

If Your Dog Loves Bacon Treats He

[…] e ingredients were legit, I knew they were made for Rhett so it made me feel wei […]

Emma
    January 12, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Could you sub another grain free flour for the almond? My poor pup has a nut sensitivity . Thanks!

January 13, 2017 at 11:28 am

can he tolerate seeds? If he can you can grind up pumpkin or sunflower seeds and use those to replace the almond flour!

Kerri Bachand
    February 26, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Hello! Your recipe looks great–do you know how many treats it will make? Thank you!

Kerri

February 27, 2017 at 11:13 am

Thank you! Unfortunately I can’t give you a number as it will depend entirely on the size of your cookie cutter. Mine usually makes around a dozen with a big cutter! Hope this helps 🙂

Rosemary
    May 23, 2017 at 8:25 am

Hi Davida,

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I’ve been hunting around for something to spice up my crew’s treat tin.

I’m currently using almond flour, coconut oil, bananas and organic peanut butter. I like your idea of using sweet potato.

Mine would love big treats like you give Rhett! But they’re a greedy bunch! So small pieces only for them.

I’m definitely going to give your recipe a go.

Thanks!
    Rosemary recently posted…The Best Tug of War Toys for Dogs

Dale
    June 10, 2017 at 5:49 pm

Hi Davida,

It was a pleasure reading these sweet treats.

I will try these recipes for my dog in coming weeks.

Thanks 🙂
    Dale recently posted…Training your Dog

Janell
    October 6, 2017 at 10:24 am

I was intetested in making this recipe however I was told that dogs should stay away from nuts due to toxicity and/or side efffects. I am concerned about the Almond meal. Is there a different meal that would be able to substitute?

Some dude
    November 21, 2017 at 6:40 pm

I love how no one (not even the vet) had mentioned that almonds are actually mildly poisonous to dogs and can cause GI irritation…