breakfast gluten-free muffins snacks

Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins

January 6, 2016

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They’re moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They're moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.I mentioned back in my Best of THM 2015 post that I was thrilled to announce some of the 2016 sponsors for THM and today I am officially sharing that I’ll be continuing my partnership with Avocados from Mexico this year!

If you remember the post I wrote last year for Healthy Avocado Brownies, I talked about how much I love working with this brand to bring avocados to the world! Okay, a bit dramatic but being able to call “getting more Canadians to eat avocados” my job is pretty damn amazing.

It is hands-down my dream partnership come true (I tell them this daily) and the things we have in store for you this year are E-P-I-C!!!

To kick off this epicness, I thought we’d start out 2016 with a healthier snack alternative like these Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins.

One of the things I love most about avocados is how versatile they can be as a substitute for somewhat less than desirable ingredients, like butter. I’m not gonna hate on butter, but if I had it my way my fat consumption would come from avocados.

When it comes to nutrition, avocados trump butter any day. First off, they’re a great dairy-free alternative for those of you avoiding dairy, like me. And if calories are a concern for you, avocados are infinitely lower in cals than butter.

But more than anything, avocados are loaded with monounsaturated fats, which actually help lower cholesterol. Take that butter!

Beyond its nutritional benefits, avocados also work perfectly as a 1-to-1 swap for butter. If you ignore the slightly green hue they leave (which I think is kind of fun…), you would never know that these delicious and moist muffins actually get their flavor and texture from avocados!

So next time you’re baking up a storm, consider swapping in avocado for butter. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the results. Or make these muffins because they were wolfed up at the New Years party we attended and they’re outrageously delicious.

Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins

• 2 1/4 cups oat flour*
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 large avocado (from Mexico)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line a muffin tray with liners or spray with coconut oil.
  3. In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a blender combine avocado, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla.
  5. Add blender ingredients to dry ingredients and then mix in eggs. Stir until well-combined.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips.
  7. Divide batter evenly amongst muffin cups for a total of 12 muffins.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes (give or take depending on oven heat and altitude). Muffins are ready when the tops spring back after being touched.
  9. Allow to cool for 20 mins before removing from muffin tin.
  10. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for longer.

Notes

*You can try replacing with whole wheat flour but you may want to decrease the flour slightly (around a 1/4 cup)

Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They're moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Avocados from Mexico – Canada. I’m so excited to continue our collaboration in 2016 as a Canadian Ambassador. Looking forward to bringing you more avotastic posts!

What are your favorite avocado substitutes? What kind of avocado recipes or posts do you guys want to see this year?

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    January 6, 2016 at 8:28 am

YES, I love using avocado for healthier swaps! I’ve been meaning to try in muffins but just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I have made in cookies though, and some form of brownies I think… Its been a while. Can’t wait for more avocado recipes from you!
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Greek Spaghetti Squash Bowls

Lindsey Bomgren
    January 6, 2016 at 9:11 am

Avocados for the win again! So simple, yet guaranteed to be so soft and delicious!
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…cherry wild rice salad with spinach and walnuts {hearty spinach salad + cherry vinaigrette dressing}

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    January 6, 2016 at 9:27 am

Avocados are easily one of my favorite foods of all time. 😊 I use them in a lot of recipes but I have never baked with them!! Looks like a must try for my Saturday morning baking sesh this weekend…

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    January 6, 2016 at 10:18 am

Yay! Avocado recipes by Davida are baaack! Somehow in my mind they are interconnected with you and your blog, so whenever a new avocado recipe gets posted on THM I can’t wait to try it, since it got the Maven Approval 😉

When I got my first glimpse of the first photo I was amazed at the cool light green hue of these muffins, these look so fun! I love that the avocado’s green hue isn’t masked by chocolate or anything else (which sadly happens with brownies 🙁 ).

I would love to see more savoury recipes with avocados, only because I know how well they can be used as substitutes in desserts, but the only savoury recipe I know is guacamole and when avocados are cut into slices or bits and put as toppings on soup or sandwiches, but I’d love to get to know more savoury meals where avocados play the main role. 🙂
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Cream of Parsnip Soup with Sage and Smoked Salmon

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 11:04 am

Duly Noted on the savory recipes! There will be plenty of them coming this year!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    January 6, 2016 at 10:43 am

These sound so good! I have used avocado in protein pancakes before which is so good! Although my favorite way to have avocados (aside from digging in straight up) is definitely in smoothies.

She Rocks Fitness
    January 6, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Those are fun funky kind of color muffin! I have never baked with avocado…I usually just smear that baby on delicious crispy toast with some seasoning and hot sauce of course. I keep it simple, but I’d gladly taste test these for you! XOXO
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…What The Single Woman Buys At Costco Part V

Emily
    January 6, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Went to make these about an hour ago and realized I don’t have any maple syrup in the house, which is a total sin. I can’t believe I forgot it at the grocery store. I thought of improvising and using coconut sugar, but I didn’t want to jack up the recipe. I’ll be making these soon !!
    Emily recently posted…Happy November: Four Tips for a Happy & Healthy You

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 4:06 pm

So wonderful! I hate when I forget something at the store. The worst! Hope you enjoy them when you do get around the making them 🙂

January 6, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I’ll admit, I was a bit skeptical about putting avocados in muffins because of the flavor! However, avocados are so tasty and buttery–even better than actual butter–and I can just taste how soft and delicious these muffins are just by looking at them! YUM!
    Cassie recently posted…Holiday Week Part 2: NYR’s, Blender-Free Ice Cream, Protein Pancakes, Indian Food Baby #2, More Reviews, a Mellow New Year’s Eve, Japanese New Year Celebration, Breakfast in Bed + New YouTube Video

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 4:08 pm

You won’t taste the avo flavor at all (which for me is kind of a shame since I love them!) but you certainly get all of the texture and nutrition benefits from them!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat
    January 6, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Davida, these are beautiful! I saw them in your Instagram feed and had to come by to check them out. (I also didn’t realize you’re Canadian too – snap!) 🙂 I used to be very much fat-phobic in my late teens but absolutely adore avocados now. I can’t wait to try these!
    Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted…Fresh Start Superfood Salad

The Healthy Maven
      January 6, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Aw thanks for stopping by Angela! I’m so happy the muffins brought you through 🙂 Ditto to the fat-phobia. These days I’m all like “bring on the avocados!” I’m in Toronto. Where are you these days??

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat
        January 7, 2016 at 10:15 am

Oh wow – I used to live in Waterloo (but was in Toronto frequently on the weekends visiting friends) up until March of last year, and now I live in Vancouver. I love meeting other Canadian bloggers and your blog is beautiful! Consider me your latest loyal reader. 🙂
        Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted…Fresh Start Superfood Salad

The Healthy Maven
          January 7, 2016 at 8:45 pm

You are too sweet! So nice to connect with fellow Canadian bloggers! Let me know if you’re ever in T.O. Hoping to make it out West soon and I’ll definitely keep you posted 🙂

• Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat
            January 7, 2016 at 9:51 pm

That would be awesome! Yes, please do. I’d love to show you around (and by that I mean tour you through a bunch of amazing Vancouver restaurants so we can eat lots of delicious things.. including avocados!) 🙂
            Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted…Fresh Start Superfood Salad

Marsha
    January 6, 2016 at 11:52 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe! Can I use fresh ground wheat flour?

The Healthy Maven
      January 7, 2016 at 8:37 pm

I haven’t tested them myself with whole wheat flour but you can definitely give them a try! If you have luck do let me know 🙂 Enjoy!

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    January 7, 2016 at 9:28 am

Call me cray cray but when any baked goods have a tinge of green, I’m like, “YUP get in my belly” because green means healthier version!! Unless of course it’s like grasshopper pie in which case I just pretend it’s super healthy and devour (I can’t resist that sh*z). These look delicious, easy, and a muffin my toddler would love! NAILED IT!

Georgie
    January 7, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Omgosh these looks so good – when your muffin tops have those amazing cracks then you know they’re gonna be good. I don’t use avocados as subs for much because I usually eat them too fast before I can bake with them.
    Georgie recently posted…Rainbow Veggie Super Salad Bowl

The Healthy Maven
      January 7, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I’m usually the same way! It’s a miracle if an avocado lasts more than a day in our house. Plus I like to buy them when they’re already ripe 😉

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    January 7, 2016 at 8:30 pm

I’ve been experimenting with baking with avocado lately and I’m so shocked at how awesome it works for baking! Love the look of these muffins.
    Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Top 5 Reader Favourites of 2015

Hilary
    January 8, 2016 at 8:20 am

I have been looking for new snack recipes lately and I think I am definitely going to have to try these out! I love little healthy treats full of nutrition, especially in the afternoon when my sweet tooth kicks in!

Joyce
    January 8, 2016 at 11:52 am

Dang those look good! I’ll see if I can figure out a way to make them without the applesauce (fructose intolerance boo.)
    Joyce recently posted…Easy, inexpensive low-FODMAP meal ideas with ingredients you can get at your local grocery store

The Healthy Maven
      January 9, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Pumpkin or banana would be a great substitute if you can have those!

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    January 8, 2016 at 11:36 pm

NEED THESE ASAP. Those avocado brownies were maybe the best brownies ever.

For avocado recipes… maybe avocado tacos or avocado zoodle sauces??
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 1.3

Deirdre
    January 10, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Would blueberries work with the avocado muffins instead of the chocolate chips?

The Healthy Maven
      January 10, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Absolutely! Just make sure you stir them in at the last minute so it doesn’t turn them blue 😉

Denise
    January 13, 2016 at 9:59 am

Am planning to make these today. I love avocados! Can I use quinoa flour instead of oat?

The Healthy Maven
      January 13, 2016 at 1:00 pm

You can certainly give it a try, though I haven’t tried it myself! Quinoa flour can sometimes be a bit more absorbent so if you’re find the batter is SUPER thick (it should be thick but still stirable) add a bit of non-dairy milk to thin it out.

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen
    January 13, 2016 at 2:08 pm

MY KIND OF MUFFIN.
    Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen recently posted…Vegan White Bean & Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

The Healthy Maven
      January 14, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I will forever equate you with baking delicious treats so I’m honored to hear you say that!!!

eman
    January 24, 2016 at 9:11 am

they look ummy , what can i use instead of maplesyrup

January 24, 2016 at 11:06 am

Any kind of liquid sweetener. Honey would be a good substitute!

Hannah
    January 31, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Just tried making these and am so incredibly happy with the results! Delicious and such a quick, easy, healthy breakfast substitution. Used whole wheat flour. Would highly recommend!

Jill
    February 18, 2016 at 11:31 am

It calls for a large avocado. Since they can vary in size and my large may not be yours 🙂 can you say about how much in quantity it would be? I have a pot luck tomorrow night and may want to try these out.

Peter
    February 18, 2016 at 6:39 pm

What a fantastic recipe. Can’t wait to try. Can you suggest an alternative to maple syrup? I live in Perth Western Australia and very small bottle here is $15. So many vegan and raw recipes have it in them but it is simply too expensive to use except for very social occasions. I would also like to see cake recipes, slice recipes and savoury recipes that use avocados in place of butter. Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration.

Sarah
      February 20, 2016 at 6:37 pm

This recipe has eggs in it. You mentioned vegan recipes in your post.

Sarah
    February 20, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I’m vegan – could I omit the eggs?

ME
    March 8, 2016 at 8:53 am

Thinking of making these for Easter. My daughter is allergic to oats, wheat, and quinoa. Has anyone tried this recipe w gluten free flour or almond flour?

March 8, 2016 at 9:01 am

I haven’t but gluten-free flour should be just fine! I’d follow the instructions for the whole wheat flour since it may need a bit more liquid but GF flour should do the trick!

Marianela
    May 2, 2016 at 8:04 am

Make me hungry! Can I have one? 😉
    Marianela recently posted…Up cycling Jam Session

Michelle Krein
    May 18, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Tried and LOVED by me and some coworkers! I can’t say I made the recipe exactly because a) I have an egg white allergy and b) Didn’t have all the ingredients in the house — but the main concept was similar! I subbed out the oat flour for all purpose and dropped it down to 2 cups, I used agave nectar in place of maple syrup, I used safflower oil in place of applesauce (though next time, I’ll use applesauce to make them healthier), and used the flaxseed egg technique in place of eggs. Also, I ended up blending all the wet ingredients in my Kitchenaid first and then added the dry ingredients. Everything turned out great and I’m very impressed! I have a recipe using avocado for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies too: http://www.forkreinoutloud.com/2015/08/24/healthy-eggless-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Jen
    July 14, 2016 at 2:23 pm

how much avocado did u use? my avocados are of all different size- from tiny to huge

July 15, 2016 at 8:43 am

med-large!

Jen
        July 17, 2016 at 11:33 am

what does that mean? measurement in cups please? there are many varieties of large avocados that can be extremely different

Jen
    July 21, 2016 at 9:11 pm

does anyone have any suggestions for measurement in cups of avocado that worked for them? the ‘large’ avocados i have here range drastically in variety and size

Jasmine
    November 18, 2016 at 10:38 pm

These are great! I used flax for an egg substitute, 1/4 cup agave in place of the maple syrup, and 1 cup of applesauce. They turned out really well! I tried the recommended amount of applesauce in the first batch, but they were a bit dry. I’m not sure if it’s from using less agave, or it might be that I’m at a higher elevation?

Laurie
    January 6, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Will the 1:1 swap work with cookies? Or, is it better for softer textured stuff like muffins and brownies. I’m pretty sure it won’t work for my toffee recipe. 🙂

Laurie

January 11, 2017 at 12:23 am

Hi lovely! Sorry for the delay. Was off the blog while travelling (it wouldn’t load on crappy wifi arghhh). It will work in cookies but not if you’re hoping for crispy cookies. It doesn’t melt like butter so you’ll have more of a cakey cookie!

H
    February 13, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Hi, do you know any of the nutritional info for these? Like fat, protein, carbs? That’d be super helpful