brownies dessert gluten-free paleo

Healthy Avocado Brownies

August 18, 2015

A healthy and delicious recipe for avocado brownies! Replace oil or butter with heart-healthy avocados for a delicious and nutritious dessert.

I’m currently sitting on a plane flying home from an incredible trip to NY. With a few days in NYC and an absolutely beautiful wedding of two of my oldest friends, this extra long weekend made for some seriously memorable moments that are making me not-so-happy to be on this plane right now.

It’s hard to come back to reality after a weekend like this. This feeling is reminiscent of last year’s camp reunion in NH and basically every year when summer came to an end and we were forced to leave the greatest place on earth aka summer camp.

The only thing that is making me moderately okay with the fact that I am heading home is that there’s a container full of these health avocado brownies waiting for me in the freezer. That is if C didn’t clear em’ out in my absence.

Something that I’ve become accustomed to when I travel and catch-up with old friends and make new ones is giving the executive summary of what the heck it means to write a blog for a living. I have the speech down and even though I could probably say it while being half-asleep, upside-down, it never ceases to amaze me that this is actually my job.

You mean I get to play around with brownies and sneak veggies into your baked goods for a living?! STFU.

One of the best questions I get asked and also love asking other bloggers is what their “dream partnership” would be. The craziest part about this is that my answer actually came true.

When I began my partnership with Avocados from Mexico I was literally over the moon (okay not literally but that’s basically how it felt). Not only do I LOVE avocados, but for as long as I’ve had this blog, my dream partnership was always to work with an avocado company. It’s a serious perk that this avocado company happen to be from Mexico allowing me to shamelessly drop hints that guacamole will solve all the worlds problems, and non-challantly suggest that all avocado dishes need to be paired with an alcoholic bevvy.

I don’t know about you but I would never show up at a fiesta without my avocados and a bottle of wine, amiright?!

People have asked me if I’m worried about becoming “The Avocado Girl”? I can’t help but laugh in their faces. Nothing would make me happier than to be dubbed “The Avocado Girl”!

Now at this point I’ve arrived back in Toronto and am laying on the couch finishing this post while eating what’s left of these avocados brownies (thanks C….) and dreaming about what future recipes and ideas I have to bring you. All I have to say is that I hope you like avocados because this avocado girl has some serious avoliciousness coming your way.

Stay tuned!

Healthy Avocado Brownies

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Serves 16     adjust servings

• 1 large avocado
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder*
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a blender or food processor combine avocado, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla.*
  3. Add these ingredients to a large bowl and whisk in eggs.
  4. Add in coconut flour, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking soda and stir until well-combined.
  5. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with coconut oil and add batter.
  6. Place in oven to bake for 25 minutes (slightly less for fudgier brownies or slightly longer for more cake-like brownies).
  7. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting into 16 brownies.
  8. Keep them on the counter in an airtight container at room-temperature for up to 2 days or for a longer shelf-life store in the fridge or freezer.

Notes

*You can also mash these together by hand but make sure that you mash it up very well and there are no clumps. Make sure you use dutch-processed otherwise your brownies will taste bitter - this is the step that people often forget!

A healthy and delicious recipe for avocado brownies! Replace oil or butter with heart-healthy avocados for a delicious and nutritious dessert.Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Avocados from Mexico – Canada. All opinions and creative control were entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the awesome brands that I love and help me to continue to bring you new recipes each week!

Bloggers- What’s your dream partnership? Readers – What’s the next avocado recipe you want to see?

Em @ Love A Latte
    August 18, 2015 at 9:47 am

Can’t wait to give these a try!!! I eat an avocado/day so I should probably just eat these brownies instead. (Also, side note: I tried to share this post with the Facebook button above and it kept giving me an error…just thought I’d let you know!)
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…My New Journey: From Starbucks to Shakeology

August 19, 2015 at 11:36 am

Thanks for the heads up, lovely! I’ll look into it!

cindy west
        March 10, 2017 at 12:46 pm

how many calories in one brownie

Tori Tarantino
          September 25, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Roughly 91 depending on the brand of ingredients you choose. Macros are about 51% carbs, 37% fats, 12% protein.

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    August 18, 2015 at 10:22 am

“STFU” I died. lol
    These look amazing, PER THE USUAL <3 Top them with some peanut butter for me? 😉
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies

August 19, 2015 at 11:36 am

You know me well 😉 OF COURSE I topped them with PB!

Miss Polkadot
    August 18, 2015 at 11:30 am

Lady, look at you: all dreams coming true right there when you took the plunge and quit your ‘safe’ job. First becoming a full-time blogger, then the avocado partnership – do you even have any dreams left :D?? These brownies look great. Probably even better with added chocolate chips.
    My dream partnership? Being sponsored by Lindt. No second thoughts necessary. If we want to keep it healthy than Pink Lady apples. Both aren’t budget-friendly eaten in the quantities I do and that’s what partnerships are for, right 😉 ?!
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Currently … August 2015

August 19, 2015 at 11:40 am

I have to say I am running out of dreams haha. Not the worst problem to have. Love Lindt! I know that dream will become a reality for you 😉

Chelsey
    August 18, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I’m obsessed with this avoliciousness! Must make this recipe ASAP! On another note, totally get that leaving summer camp feeling..I went in NH too and unfortunately missed the reunion this weekend 🙁 (serious FOMO!). Obsessed with your blog as always!! xx
    Chelsey recently posted…{Back to School} 25 Simple Food Allergy Friendly Snacks

Lee
    August 18, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Actually obsessed with that avo brownie swirl pic! Soooo beautiful. Whenever anyone asks me what I do…it’s like a 20 minute explanation. But then I get to talk about all the sweet brands I work with live Avos from Mexico 🙂

August 19, 2015 at 11:38 am

A from M for life! Totally worth the 20 minute explanation!

August 18, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Ooh that partnership really is a dream come true! As are these brownies. I cannot wait to make them!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Ravine Vineyard

August 19, 2015 at 11:38 am

You’re gonna love these! So easy and delish. Hope all is well with you, gorgeous!

Kelsey Yoki
    August 19, 2015 at 5:40 am

I’d really love to work with RxBar – definitely the first brand that comes to mind for me!

August 19, 2015 at 11:39 am

I’ve actually never tried them, but I’d love to! Next time I’m in the States!

Kelsey
        August 19, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I mean, they are definitely something I could probably make on my own but I would love even more to work with an amazing company. Another dream of a company would be Pure Pharma as well. Haha, my CrossFit self is really showing today.
        Kelsey recently posted…Gratitude of the Past / January 2012

August 19, 2015 at 12:37 pm

hahahaha I was gonna say! One of these days I’ll try crossfit 😉 xo

Amy @ UpearlywithAmy
    August 19, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Wow, these are so simple and healthy! I’m def going to give them a try 🙂 Nothing like a brownie for breakfast!
    Amy @ UpearlywithAmy recently posted…2015 Fall Running Plan

Ann
    August 22, 2015 at 4:08 am

These brownies sound like a dream come true for my boyfriend! He loves avocados too, maybe he’s the avocado man?? Haha! I will make these once my schedule is a bit lighter.
    I barely read your blog posts anymore since you set up that newsletter style 🙁 it’s a shame. What do your statistics say? Do you have less clicks?

August 25, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Aw oh no! I’m thinking of maybe giving the option to readers of either daily or once-a-week. I hear different feedback from everyone so it’s hard to make everyone happy but doing my best. Any feedback you have for me is so helpful so don’t hesitate to share more!

August 22, 2015 at 10:49 am

I’ve become known as the Cheese Girl or the Banana Girl, and I don’t even have a partnership. Granted I won’t be laughing in anyone’s faces, but I don’t mind the titles either.

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    August 23, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Can I get a partnership with SoulCycle or Lululemon? Yes please. Also probably with Scribe because wine + cute boys.

Uh seriously though, just ate 1.5 brownies and it’s everything I can do not to eat the other 14.5. These were so. freaking. good.
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…“Drink Good. Do Good.” With Naked Juice

August 25, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Right?! Lee and I were in Lululemon being like WORK WITH BLOGGERS…and then spent our life earnings.

UM I KNOW. They only took me 3 tries. WORTH IT.

Emma
    September 3, 2015 at 12:35 am

could another flour be used instead of coconut flour?

September 3, 2015 at 8:56 am

I wouldn’t recommend it. Coconut flour is hard to substitute, but if you do attempt with another flour, be sure to decrease the liquid as coconut flour is highly absorbent and requires more liquid!

Kristy
    October 22, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Thanks for the delicious recipe! Just wanted to give you a heads up-there’s a typo. Adding vanilla in is listed twice & baking soda is listed in ingredients but not in directions. So I assumed that the second direction to add in vanilla actually means baking soda. 🙂

October 22, 2015 at 10:58 pm

yes! You are so right. Thank you for catching that. The second vanilla is definitely supposed to be baking soda. Thank you!

Taryn
    October 30, 2015 at 12:13 am

As interesting as these brownies sound, I was very displeased with the way they tasted. Granted they are a healthy recipe, but I felt like I was eating pure cocoa. I had to throw them all away.

Maria R
      January 19, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I made these and substituted coconut oil for applesauce because I didn’t have applesauce. Also added almost 1/4c extra maple syrup, because my kids are used to brownies with 3c sugars so added a bit more. Delicious.cooked 20-22 min.came perfectlyo it of pan and kids are them up hot (2 each!! ) yum!!!!!!

The Healthy Maven
        January 20, 2016 at 2:40 pm

So happy you liked them Maria! They’re definitely less sweet than your typical boxed brownie mix, which admittedly I’m so acclimated to, I hardly notice when something isn’t too sweet. Thanks for making a great suggestion for those who may need a bit of time to get used to the lack of sugar!

Jhani
      March 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I completely agree! I followed the recipe exactly and I was very displeased with the taste too. i had to toss them as well

Teffy @ Teffy's Perks
    November 9, 2015 at 8:25 am

I do love avocado with anything and everything, and that includes baked goods!
    These look so so delicious, exactly the thing to sink my teeth into right now. X
    Teffy @ Teffy’s Perks recently posted…Almond, Carrot & Chickpea Veggie Burgers

November 9, 2015 at 11:14 am

It really is so versatile! Definitely worth sinking your teeth into 😉

Lauren
    November 9, 2015 at 11:04 am

These look delicious Davida! I haven’t yet tried avocado in brownies, but this looks like a great recipe to start with!

Nikki
    November 9, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I had my little fingers crossed that this would be a grain free recipe…and it is!! Time to buy that bulk bag of avocados from Costco?

November 9, 2015 at 3:19 pm

It is always the right time to buy the bulk bag of avos 😉 Totally grain-free! You’ll love em’ 😉

Maxine
    December 2, 2015 at 8:38 pm

If we aren’t bent on it being grain free and don’t have coconut flour on hand, would regular flour work?

December 4, 2015 at 11:03 am

Unfortunately, no. Coconut flour cannot be substituted because of it’s texture and special absorbance factor. It would throw off the egg-flour ratio drastically. Wish I could help!

Catherine
    December 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm

These look so good! Can we use regular flour instead? We never buy any other kind of flour other than plain white.

December 4, 2015 at 11:03 am

The Avocado Boy
    December 29, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hardly a healthy recipe. With 3 eggs to one avocado, there is so much cholesterol, you might be better off using butter!
    Better to call them ‘Egg Brownies’ 🙂

Effe Kokonios
      February 17, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Hello, I don’t agree as you wouldn’t be eating the whole pan by yourself so the amount of cholesterol in the eggs would be divided so that it wouldn’t have much affect anyway. Also if you were to have the whole pan you are allowed 3 eggs a day anyway so you would be fine 🙂

Rebecca
        March 29, 2017 at 2:28 am

Not to mention it’s good cholesterol and good fats in eggs and avocados respectively. If you happen to eat the whole pan it wouldn be as bad if you ate a whole pan made with butter. Think about sinking our teeth into a block of butter vs and egg or an avocado. Personally I’d take eggs and avocado any day 😉

Rebecca
    December 30, 2015 at 8:23 am

These look AMAZING!! I was just wondering the cocoa powder can be swapped with raw cacao powder instead? if so would I still use 1/2 a cup of it or less given that raw cacao powder has a richer taste?

Many thanks

Rebecca

Lyra
    January 3, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Thank you for the recipe because I’m going through chemo and need healthier options!

Mimi
    January 5, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Do you have a calorie count and breakdown of protien, carbs, fat, etc for these? They are delicious :).

calia
      January 3, 2017 at 9:21 am

I just posted!

Maura
    January 8, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Do you have the nutrition facts for this recipe?

calia
      January 3, 2017 at 9:21 am

I just posted!

Robin
    February 6, 2016 at 10:42 am

Very good
    I was wondering about the nutritional break down.

calia
      January 3, 2017 at 9:21 am

I just posted the nutrition below

Mayra solis
    February 9, 2016 at 12:51 am

I LOVE avacados !! And I LOVE donuts! I’ve been trying to find a good recipe that uses avacados but no luck( I know right crazy!) so do you think this recipe would work the same but in a donut pan ( I’ve newly discovered baking as something super fun! So I’m pretty new to it)

February 9, 2016 at 7:19 am

Yes! You should be good to go in a donut pan! Definitely keep me posted on the results as I’m sure a lot of people would like to know 🙂

Marni
    February 14, 2016 at 5:23 pm

Ok, I am trying to bake these and something is REALLY wrong. I’ve been baking these for over an hour and they’re still raw in the middle! I’m using a 8×8 glass pan – is that the problem? I’ve never had any issue like this before.

February 14, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Hi Marni. I doubt the pan would make such a drastic change in time! Can I ask what brand of coconut flour you’re using?

Effe Kokonios
    February 17, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Thank you for the recipe Davida! I have just made them and am waiting for them to cool but they look amazing! I tested the mix before they went in the oven too haha 😉

February 18, 2016 at 8:39 am

Hope you enjoyed! And thanks for your feedback on the cholesterol 😉 Divided into individual-sized brownies they certainly aren’t too high in cholesterol, but everyone has their own definition of what’s right. I always appreciate hearing from people who share a similar mentality!

Caryn
    February 24, 2016 at 1:38 pm

I LOVE avocados. I eat cacao avocado mousse almost daily. My dream partnership would be with Whole Foods. I really spend my whole life there. Everything I need from clean eats to non-toxic products are in the store.
    Caryn recently posted…Eating Clean: How to Grocery Shop

Sarah
    February 28, 2016 at 10:14 am

I was just curious if the maple syrup cou,d be substituted for something else? Agave, honey, etc.?

March 3, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I use honey from a local orchard.

Sarah
        March 7, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Thanks! Thats the only kind of honey we buy, so we’re good!

stephanie
    March 1, 2016 at 8:10 pm

What can I use instead of coconut flour?

Kyle
      March 3, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Another recipe. Save yourself the time and other ingredients. These brownies are absolutely horrific. I just made a batch. And they are going in the trash can as soon as they cool enough not to melt the trash bag.

Kyle
    March 3, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Just made these. Literally one of THE most disgusting things I’ve ever eaten. Great ingredients but bitter as can be. I followed the recipe exactly and used premium ingredients. Completely horrific. I had to find something else to eat to get the taste out of my mouth. 100% nasty.

Mandi
    March 3, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Hi Davida,

I think this is my first time to your site… These look amazing! I am vegan, and wondering if you or anyone else has had luck making these with aquafaba instead of eggs? Or perhaps a combo of aquafaba and flax egg? Hmm… I see an experiment looming.

March 3, 2016 at 8:52 pm

These are the best paleo brownies I’ve tried by far. Now it’s a staple in my house. I added about a quarter cup of almond milk cream cheese by Kite and about 5 packets of Stevia in the Raw-Simply Delish! Just made another double batch tonight and topped one off with my homemade paleo double chocolate ice cream. <3

Sas
    March 3, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Made these tonight & no one in the family found them to be delicious. It was very bland

Tori
    March 5, 2016 at 9:40 am

I, like a few of the other commenters, HATED these brownies initially, but I topped them with a little Nutella and they were completely fine. After about half the batch I was able to eat them and find them enjoyable without using the Nutella. Definitely an acquired taste, you just have to find what helps you to get accustomed to the taste, especially since it’s not a normal brown (shouldn’t expect it to taste like one).

ANYWAYS Davida, I was wondering if you know about how many calories each brownie contains?

Madison
    March 5, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I’ve never eaten anything so revolting and un-brownie like.

Moon
    March 5, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Just made these. Amazing!! Esp since my 3 year old won’t eat avacado on its own.
    Question-. It’s very moist in middle. Will baking it longer help with that? TIA!

Melissia
    March 6, 2016 at 4:56 pm

With all due respect these were the most disgusting brownies I have ever made. I am an experience paleo home cook and experienced cooking grain free. I made no substitutions. They look good and smell a little odd. The texture is somewhat indescribable – sort of eggy, sponge-like, yet a little gritty. They have no discernible flavour but they taste awful. The texture is so displeasing and they leave an aftertaste and the weird texture also lingers. I had such high hopes for these (the batter tasted really good). They are going in the garbage now. Such a waste of really good, high quality, expensive ingredients. I wish I had more positive things to say.

Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet
    March 8, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Oh heck yeah I’m allll about these. Found the recipe in Slim Sanity’s round up and I love that they’re also GF. Also love you got to accomplish your dream of working with an avocado company! That’s beautiful and you should feel so proud 🙂
    Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet recently posted…Market Haul Monday #1

Angela
    March 16, 2016 at 12:10 pm

It would be so great if you could list the number of calories in your recipes – i am going to try these after i have worked out just how big a dent they will put into my calorie allowance for the day. 🙂

Laura Prosser
    March 29, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Made these today and they taste AMAZING. so delicious. I used coconut oil instead of apple sauce and agave nectar instead of maple syrup. They are super moist and i will definitely make again 🙂

Chloe
    April 4, 2016 at 8:49 pm

I just made these and was pleasantly surprised by the taste. I wasn’t expecting them to taste like a regular brownie and I don’t have a sweet tooth so maybe that helps. I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon and coconut sugar on the top (a small amount) and it added a little sweetness. My boyfriend loves sweet things and even he was into it. So maybe they aren’t for everyone but seriously don’t let some of the negative comments above scare you away from trying this. I’m probably going to add some banana in the batter next time.

Keep up the good work! I’m subscribing now 🙂

April 5, 2016 at 9:35 am

Glad to hear you enjoyed them! I think people get caught up in the idea that a brownie needs to be super sweet….or just somehow ignore that they’re labelled as “healthy”. While I wish we could make healthy brownies taste like betty crocker brownies, that would require us to load them with butter and sugar. Glad you enjoyed them and great idea to add a banana for added sweetness!

Kirsten
    April 10, 2016 at 12:03 am

I just made these and I did enjoy them. The texture of it is slightly different than something made with regular flour, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it in no time. Mine turned out nice and soft, and I didn’t think they were “disgusting” at all. Of course they aren’t as sweet as a traditional brownie, but if they were that sweet they wouldn’t be healthy! I made coconut whipped cream (just chilled canned coconut milk whipped with some maple syrup) and topped the brownie with the cream and strawberries…made it more of a cake than a brownie. I did enjoy it, but I have also not had sugar (besides pure maple syrup) in a few weeks so I’m sure that makes a difference. Maybe the people that said it was disgusting eat really sugary desserts?

April 10, 2016 at 8:23 am

Yes I totally agree! My taste buds are adjusted to a much less sweet dessert. They’re delicious, but if you’re expecting a Betty Crocker brownie, then you’re in for something else haha. Glad you enjoyed!

Rachael
    April 20, 2016 at 7:42 am

I made these brownies last night and they were pretty good! I cooked them for 24 minutes. They did seem a little dry. Do you suggest cooking them for a little less time to keep them moist?

April 20, 2016 at 8:37 am

definitely. I find mine are still pretty fudgy at that time but every pan and oven is different. Cook for less time for a fudgier brownie. Enjoy!

Jenj
    April 25, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Had an avocado that was going to turn so I figured I’d give these a try. I’m an admitted sugarholic so…these were interesting. More cake than brownie-like and slightly gritty mouth feel. I covered them in melted chocolate and pb chips and then I could eat them. If you’re used to traditional brownies, you will not be pleased with these.

Sam
    May 1, 2016 at 3:06 pm

I just tried making these – followed your recipe step by step. I can honestly say they’re the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tried – eggy and bitter with the cocoa – almost savoury. I even tried making a second batch with slightly more maple syrup and sweetened cocoa – while marginally more edible, they were still awful. Needless to say, both batches are in the bin. I clearly should have read the other comments first as it seems others have had the same issue. Don’t waste your time with this recipe. I won’t be wasting my time with this blog either.

Nanab
    May 2, 2016 at 8:46 am

I made this using white flour because I did not have coconut flour. I think it turned out quite well. I baked it for 30 minutes. It was moist and dense. If you like dark chocolate you will like this as dark chocolate is not as sweet as milk chocolate. We put a little peanut butter on our second piece and it was even better. I read the cmments about the coconut flour after I made it so I used the exact measurements but white flour instead of coconut. My husband and I loved it. Will probably make it again.

Ivette Hawthorne
    May 5, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Hi Davida,
    I would LOVE to try these. I’m allergic to coconut however. Could I substitute for regular flour in the same quantity? I know it’s less healthy…but that’s been my struggle with trying to cut out traditional flour in my baking. I’m also allergic to all nuts and Almond flour is another staple. What about tapioca?
    Ivette

Abatha
    May 23, 2016 at 10:58 am

I was a bit skeptical with all the negative comments, but I have to admit, these were very misleading comments! The end product was absolutely wonderful!!

May 24, 2016 at 9:49 am

Thanks for your feedback! Really goes to show that everyone’s taste-buds are different 😉

Ryan
    May 25, 2016 at 8:24 am

Could we omit the eggs? We have an egg allergy in our home and typically substitute applesauce for eggs. But since the recipe already calls for applesauce I wasn’t sure if it would work? Thank you!

May 26, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I wouldn’t recommend substituting the eggs with applesauce. I think some people have had luck with flax eggs so you could try that out!

Melissa
    June 5, 2016 at 1:46 pm

HI There, these look delicious and not too complicated but I’m allergic to apples! Is there anything I can use to substitute the applesauce?

Amanda
    June 6, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Do you know the nutrional value of this recipe?

Kaya Ann
    June 6, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Easy to make but the taste was bland.

Brooke
    June 8, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Not exactly a recipe that I would utilize for a large gathering, because the taste does stray a bit from a regular brownie. However, I would certainly make them again for myself because I enjoyed them! Also enjoyed the experimentation aspect of trying new ingredients 🙂

Heather
    June 9, 2016 at 5:28 pm

I made these this afternoon.
    I tried other recipes using chick peas as well as zucchini, so I wasn’t sure how these would turn out.
    I seem to have an issue with gluten, not diagnosed but I know when I eat things with flour in them I get pains in my stomach. So I’m trying to eat better.
    I have a sweet tooth too. The other recipes were pretty good, so I expected the same for this one. I have to say they are quite tasty. I like a little crunch, so I added almonds and for my sweet tooth – sprinkled chocolate chips on the top.
    Now to test them on the family. 😉

Kelly Boardman
    June 9, 2016 at 7:38 pm

I just made these. The house smelled amazing while they were in the oven – and it still smells amazing actually. They taste pretty darn good too! I added the ingredients into my fitness pal app to get the calorie count and they come up to 74 calories and 2.8 grams of fat (16 serving count). That makes these guilt free and delicious at the same time. I will make these again, thanks for the recipe!!

Ruba
    June 15, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Hi! Love these brownies. We don’t have a taste for super sweet and I found these to be perfect. I want to make these in a 2L rectangular baking dish for my son’s birthday. So, want to determine the volume of the pan that the recipe was designed for. Can you tell me the volume of your pan? Alternatively, can you tell me the depth of the 8×8″ pan you used? Thanks!!

Melissa
    June 16, 2016 at 3:52 am

First time making a paleo desert recipe and very sad to say this recipe was a horrible start. this recipe called for way toooo much coconut flour and cocoa used. my mix was super griny and spongelike not liquidy at all even after following the instructions to a T. NEVER AGAIN !

Ruba
      June 16, 2016 at 9:01 am

Hi Melissa, I know what you mean. The first time I baked anything with coconut flour, I was surprised by how dry the mix seems. It’s just the nature of the flour and how absorbant it is. That’s why other recipes may call for more than a cup of regular flour, but you need so little coconut flour! I hope this helps.

A Melissa
    June 16, 2016 at 4:37 am

after wasting all that money on the ingredients. i had to try one. and I couldnt even get it down my throat. Worst Recipe i have ever tried . Now i know why i dont trust recipes and wing stuff instead. Im not sure how some people say these were delicious they must have cut the ingredients in half.

Aditi Rao
    June 26, 2016 at 1:21 am

Hey!
    I made your brownies a couple days ago and for some reason it’s coming through really bitter and didn’t cook at all. I stirred in a little sugar hoping that it’ll make it sweeter, but even so, there was an unpleasant aftertaste from the Avocados. I baked it for an entire hour and it STILL didn’t cook through. Any suggestions?
    Aditi Rao recently posted…Sweet Sixteen, Sweet Surprise

Kiya
    July 10, 2016 at 1:35 am

I just made these tonight and they were amazing! Especially topped with some almond butter 😋
    I will definitely make these again!

Thank you for the recipe!

Erika
    July 13, 2016 at 12:04 am

Sorry, but these were super nasty. Gross. Foamy and bitter. Everyone in our family spit them out.

Sarah
    July 16, 2016 at 11:11 am

I made these a cople days ago. I made 20.
    They come over super mosit.
    When i bite into them they are super yummy, super light and so much healthier than stire brought. Not sweet which i love. This recipe is a keeper.

Vanessa
    July 17, 2016 at 6:25 pm

These are A-Maziiing! I saw a lot of people found they were sweet enough. I personally don’t eat a lot of sugar so I thought they were delicious (as did my 1 and 4 year old). My hubby on the other hand has quite a sweet tooth. If you find they aren’t sweet enough you can always make brownie icing on the side for those who need a little extra. But honestly I find this recipe wonderful as it is.

July 19, 2016 at 9:26 am

Thanks Vanessa! I think I’ve trained myself so very little sugar tastes sweet to me. Glad I’m not the only one out there who feels the same way!

Laura
    July 20, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Just made these tonight and will admit I was super nervous about them turning out, but they ended up working SO well! Thanks for the recipe – will definitely be making more! 🙂

Julie
    July 25, 2016 at 1:00 pm

My daughter is in 4-H and went to a foods judging workshop this spring. They suggested trying a healthy recipe, so she looked online for a healthy brownie recipe to enter in the county fair and found these. We are not used to gluten free foods and did not care for the brownies but with a little chocolate frosting or perhaps salted caramel buttercream, we would probably like better. We actually were not going to take but at the last minute, decided to because she went to the effort and expense to bake them. Guess what?!! She received a purple! The judge said her son was gluten free and it was hard to find good recipes and thought her son would like them. Three different judges then judged all the purples for the different age divisions and drum roll…..she received RESERVED CHAMPION overall for juniors! Thank you for a good recipe and teaching us more about healthy foods!

Erin
    July 25, 2016 at 11:28 pm

I made these today and they taste great!! I used 1 cup of avocado, and 1/4c honey plus 1/4c maple syrup.
    I will definitely make them again!!

Camila
    July 29, 2016 at 12:34 pm

I made it and tastes terrible 🙁 So bitter and I followed the recipe. Do you know why did it happen?

Allison
    July 31, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I was just Dx with Celiac Disease and craving brownies. I had a perfect avocado and the rest of the ingredients so I made them and waited for them to cool and then poured my coffee. I ate one and wanted to cry. The intensity of the cocoa with so little sweetness made them almost bitter even though the look and texture was so inviting. I sprinkled with raw brown sugar and had hubby try and he said, so disappointing, my tastebuds expected brownie and I am not sure what I just ate. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Samantha
    August 5, 2016 at 1:34 pm

this recipe calls for regular maple syrup, but do you think sugar free would work? Or is there a specific kind you used?

Bri
    August 31, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Hey made these yesterday and I’m pretty happy with the way they turned out! They’re extremely moist and delicious!

Kimberly
    August 31, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I’m going to ignore the negative comments and give this a shot. Tell me though, to they taste maple-y? I don’t like maple syrup and I was thinking about swapping it out for raw honey.

Felicia
    September 13, 2016 at 1:59 pm

How many grams of sugar would you say is in a batch of these brownies?

Heidi Huff
    October 20, 2016 at 4:54 pm

With so many comments on here about these being too dry or bitter, I decided to tweak this a bit.

Dryness, I assume, would be from the coconut flour, which soaks up a lot of moisture. General practice is if you are using coconut flour in a recipe that uses normal flour, you should add one egg for every oz of coconut flour used. 1/2 cup of coconut flour is 2oz, and the recipe calls for 3 eggs, two of which are being sucked up by the coconut flour. Most normal brownie recipes call for more than 1 egg, so I added an extra.

I could not find dutch processed cocoa at the supermarket. Dutch processed cocoa is basically cocoa that is washed during processing with an alkaline solution to make it less better. Recipes with normal cocoa usually call for baking soda to achieve a similar effect. I was really surprised that you call for baking soda in this recipe because the article on dutch processed cocoa I read said NOT to used baking soda with it. That seemed to indicate that this recipe is more bitter than usual, so I added an additional tsp.

I followed another commentor and added an extra 1/4 cup maple syrup (and 1/4 applesauce because I had extra). My ingredient list was as follows:

1 hass avocado
    3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    3/4 cup maple syrup
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    4 large eggs
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    2 tsp baking soda
    Baked for 35 mins

Turned out moist – a little too moist – I probably didn’t need the extra applesauce. They weren’t bitter, so I think the extra baking soda is a must if using normal cocoa powder. I think these could also stand with doubling the vanilla.

Won’t try these again, though. These are definitely not “fudgy” brownies. They are cakey – moist or dry are your options.

Leah George
    October 22, 2016 at 9:32 pm

I just made them. They are awesome!!!

Deanna Winton
    November 1, 2016 at 8:51 pm

These are fantastic!! Love that they are not only healthy but delicious!! Thanks for sharing this recipe 🙂

Katy Ambler
    November 8, 2016 at 4:23 am

These brownies did not work for me. The measurements seem totally wrong. There was far to much powder to liquid and I ended up with a disgusting powdery mess that was not even bakable. I think something has gone wrong somewhere in this recipe. Could you give the powder weight in grams or ounces ?
    Katy Ambler recently posted…A Foodies Guide to Banff National Park

Kendall
    November 24, 2016 at 7:54 am

Hey girl! My name is Kendall and I’m Alexis of Hummusapien’s food lovin’ sidekick. I just made these last night on a whim for my family (already had all of the ingredients) and they were AMAZING. Like idk how I’ve gone so long without making them. I only had two eggs so I put in a tablespoon of melted coconut oil and also added a few dashes on cinnamon and they still turned out delish. Will definitely be making these for all gatherings and for fun all of the time.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bharathi
    November 28, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Thanks for the wonderful recepie. I tried these and it came out do well… yummmmmy

calia
    January 3, 2017 at 9:20 am

Nutrition: Calories 84, Fat 4.1g, carb 11.3g, protein 2.2g. Calculated with Bob’s red mill coconut flour.

Shelby Flath
      June 28, 2017 at 12:09 pm

How many grams of fibre are in this?

Madhu
    January 18, 2017 at 10:45 am

I’m excited to try this receipe! Can I replace coconut flour with almond meal or regular unbleached APF? If yes, would it be the same amount? TIA!!

January 18, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Hi Madhu. I wouldn’t recommend substituting coconut flour. It’s a very absorbent flour and replacing it will throw off all the other ratios. Sorry!

Captain Lolo
    February 2, 2017 at 3:30 pm

I made these last night and they are amazing! The only change I made was to add more maple syrup (an additional 1/4 cup). After they cool in the fridge they taste like perfect moist brownies, thanks for the recipe!

Haley
    February 12, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Made these today. For a healthy chocolatey dessert, these are great! I used 3/4 cup maple syrup (instead of the recommended 1/2 cup) and 1/4 tsp of stevia (because I feared bitter brownies after reading others’ reviews), and was pleasantly surprised– just the right sweetness. After baking for 20 minutes as recommended for the fudgier version, however, mine turned out with a moist cake texture. Maybe should’ve added something to balance out the additional maple syrup. Thanks so much for this recipe!!

Jesse Lavine
    February 16, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Hi Davida!

Thanks so much for the recipe. I’m more of an improvisational cook, but I decided to try baking with your recipe.
    The first time I didnt have apple sauce, so I just chopped up some apples instead. Turns out, you can’t do that.
    The second time I was more confident with my newly purchased apple sauce, so i decide to make a double batch. This time, instead of the maple syrup, i used equal amounts of stevia to sweeten. Turns out, that tastes like shit.
    This time, I’ve got all the right ingredients, but still substituting maple syrup with coconut nectar (amber) to make it even lower carb that it already is. I’m looking forward to making this batch!

Thanks again for your post, and all the other creative recipes!

Jesse

Noline
    February 18, 2017 at 3:16 pm

I can’t wait to try these. They look so yummy.
    Noline recently posted…Ketogenic Diet for Bodybuilding

Missy B
    February 21, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Has ANYONE actually tried this recipe with a review?

Stephanie
    March 12, 2017 at 12:18 am

I cannot find Dutch processed cocoa anywhere! Do you have a link to what you buy or any suggestions? I made these with regular cocoa and not that good ( just as you warned.)

Allison
    March 19, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Hi Davida!

I was so excited about this recipe and then became a little nervous at the (mostly rude) disparaging comments about it. I ended up trying it this evening and just wanted to let you know how much my husband and I enjoyed it! The people saying that they aren’t sweet are crazy! We typically do Betty Crocker box mix brownies and I still thought these were plenty sweet (They have 1/2 a cup of maple syrup, for crying out loud, lol!) Even my husband, who loves his junk food, thought they were good, and said that they taste like cake. They do have a *tiny* bit of a grainy texture, but I expected that since they are gluten-free, and GF flours tend to be a bit more grainy. Anyways, just wanted to say thank you and that we loved the recipe! 🙂

March 20, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Hey Allison! Thanks so much for your feedback. I totally agree, but people have a lot of opinions on everything haha. I figured out that certain types of coconut flour require sifting. I used the same coconut flour for years and it was totally fine, but I recently changed it up and it contributed to them being grainier. Reminds me why it’s important to change up your ingredients every now and then!

Allison
        March 20, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Oh, I didn’t even think about sifting! I’ll try that for my next recipe. 🙂

Josh
    March 23, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Hey, I was just curious. If I substitute regular all purpose flour for the coconut flour (my local store doesn’t sell it) would I get similar results?

Michelle
    March 25, 2017 at 11:25 am

Just a quick note to draw attention to the impacts that our food choices have on the environment. I look for avocados that aren’t grown in Mexico and although I love avocados I have reduced the number I eat. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/world/americas/ambition-of-avocado-imperils-monarch-butterflies-winter-home.html?_r=0

Shannon
    April 1, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I made these tonight and they were delicious! As they were baking I read the reviews and got a little leary but I was pleasantly surprised and I didn’t have the Dutch processed cocoa. I’ll definitely make these again. Of course you can’t expect them to be as sweet as boxed brownies but that’s the whole point!

Michelle
    April 13, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Unfortunately super disappointed with this recipe. I only read the comments after mine went in the oven, so was hoping for the best. They looked beautiful (just like the pics), which leads me to believe I executed accurately, but tasted awful. To the point I would not feel comfortable serving them and couldn’t even get through one myself. I normally like less sweet options, but it was more the texture that is spongey and kind of gross. Save yourself the ingredients and just pass on the brownie then.

Elizabeth
    April 28, 2017 at 1:52 pm

SO. I made these heavenly looking brownies and used 1/2 C of All-Purpose Flour instead of the 1/2 C of Coconut Flour (without realizing that you said it can’t be substituted because it’ll be too watery). They were absolutely delicious! I had to bake them a little longer, and maybe next time I’ll add a bit more flour, but I ended up freezing them and I let them sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes just to get soft enough to eat with a fork (but still frozen) and it’s glorious. I then made the coconut flour ones and they just simply aren’t as good. However, I think it’s the grainy coconut flour and overall taste/dryness thing for me, and not being as fudgey. Great recipe though if you like baked goods with coconut flour! Thank you for this delicious discovery 🙂 I plan to bake these many many more times.

Danielle
    June 22, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Make these all the time… in fact, a batch is in the oven right now. They are incredible. Thank you!

Jill
    July 20, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Hi there! I know this is an old post but figured I’d ask anyway. I made these brownies tonight and despite all the negative comments I thought they had great flavor! I did add a tiny bit of coconut sugar into the mix and some mini chocolate chips. The texture didn’t come out quite right though, and I’m wondering if it has to do with what you said above about coconut flour. Which brand do you use? I used Hodgson Mill. My avocado also wasn’t quite ripe yet, would that affect texture? (I used a ninja blender)

Sara
    September 6, 2017 at 3:00 pm

So I would really like tomake these brownies but I am vegan so I cant do the eggs. What could I use instead? Has anyone tried to cook these without the eggs or replacing the eggs with something?

April
    September 21, 2017 at 1:47 pm

I am on the whole life challenge and i made these last night. So good! I made a substitution for the maple syrup with coconut sugar (3/4 of a cup) and gluten/dairy free flour instead of coconut flour. So moist and fluffy! My new sweet tooth staple recipe over the next two months 🙂